Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN Talk Radio About Cutler's Preformance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Talk Radio About Cutler's Preformance.

Now before I a get started let me first say I DID NOT CATCH THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION however, I think I go the basic idea where they were going with it.

Mortensen was tell the host about being in Broncos camp for a few days and how je was impressed with how Cutler handled himself and how its no great surprise that he did as well has he did in Detriot. He also commented on how Lynch, Wilson, and Smith have said that Cutler shows alot of poise for such a young qb. Also that for someone with as big of an arm as Cutler has he shows great touch with his passes. Yeah I know we have already heard that before. Mortensen went on to say that he believes that of the three qbs taken in the draft Cutler will prove to be the best. (I knew that too from his comments on draft day.)

I think he was trying to say that Cutler might actually challenge Plummer now. He acknowledged that Plummer is having great camp but that this "situation bares watching.) I admit right now Mortensen didn't use those exact words but I'm fairly certain that is what he meant.

My thoughts: Mort is dead wrong. Unless Plummer falls completely apart or is injuried Cutler will be the number 2 qb all season.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-13-2006, 09:10 AM.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

After Brister/Griese, I'll never underestimate Shanahan's ability to screw up the depth chart. =P

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
      My thoughts: Mort is dead wrong. Unless Plummer falls completely apart or is injuried Cutler will be the number 2 qb all season.
      I def agree. People are still caugth up with the Plummer 2-3 years ago when he was a mistake machine. Last year he had only 7 INTs and an impressive 60.7 completion %.
      RIP Darent Williams

Comment

There's no reason for Jake not to start. Last I checked, he was a smart, athletic veteran who's entering the prime of his quarterbacking career. With the weapons he has this year, he could even step up to the elite rank, but that may be a stretch. Anyhow, starting Cutler's a no-no. Let him learn the system and enter into regular season play comfortably in 2-3 years.

Comment

The media can jump to that conclusion all they want. But I just hope Shanahan doesn't get ahead of himself just to see what his new toy can do.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
            After Brister/Griese, I'll never underestimate Shanahan's ability to screw up the depth chart. =P
            Yea, that crossed my mind the other day, too. However, Brister was different in that he was the backup, not the incumbant starter. I think it is highly unlikely that Cutler starts, but if he has three more games like the Detroit game, AND if Shanny feels he knows the whole offense... Who know?
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
              Yea, that crossed my mind the other day, too. However, Brister was different in that he was the backup, not the incumbant starter. I think it is highly unlikely that Cutler starts, but if he has three more games like the Detroit game, AND if Shanny feels he knows the whole offense... Who know?
              I'm sure it could be awefully tempting but Jake is also having a strong camp, so I don't think he would do that even then. If remember correctly the players were not behind the move and later Shanahan had admitted that it was mistake to promote Brian he really wasn't ready.
              Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-13-2006, 03:57 PM.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

ESPN is just like any news agency. They need big stories. They try to create controversies. It is the way of the beast. Sports news is no different.

Jake played solid on Friday. He will be the starter all year unless he gets hurt.

That said, Cutler was really impressive. He showed no signs of being nervous or rattled. This was the first time that I got to see him play and I admit that I was impressed with him. Future looks bright for Denver!

Comment

Besides the fact that I agree with ESPN (big surprise), I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to start Jay instead of Jake anyways. Let me explain...

Let's say that Jake IS as improved as some aroung here want to believe (I don't, but stay with me here).

Maybe starting Jay NOW would be wise, knowing that Jake is in the bullpen if Jay should bomb out. If Jake is the real deal, the team would have a legit backup to win with.

If you think about the what happens if we wait, this could make sense.

If we wait, Jake may be traded or ask to be released. Then we are in the position of having an unproven commodity as our only backup.

I know what many of you will say is my real motivation, but wouldn't it make sense?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                    Besides the fact that I agree with ESPN (big surprise), I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to start Jay instead of Jake anyways. Let me explain...

Let's say that Jake IS as improved as some aroung here want to believe (I don't, but stay with me here).

Maybe starting Jay NOW would be wise, knowing that Jake is in the bullpen if Jay should bomb out. If Jake is the real deal, the team would have a legit backup to win with.

If we wait, Jake may be traded or ask to be released. Then we are in the position of having an unproven commodity as our only backup.

I know what many of you will say is my real motivation, but wouldn't it make sense?
                    No, not really. As good as Cutler played, Jake is still the better QB. Right now anyways. I also think that it is a little premature to say Cutler is ready to be the starter when he has only played in 1 preseason game against a 2nd team defense.

Why put the season at risk on a rookie, when we have a solid QB who has shown that he can help the Broncos win?

Comment

Originally posted by _Bubba_
                      No, not really. As good as Cutler played, Jake is still the better QB. Right now anyways. I also think that it is a little premature to say Cutler is ready to be the starter when he has only played in 1 preseason game against a 2nd team defense.

Why put the season at risk on a rookie, when we have a solid QB who has shown that he can help the Broncos win?
                      How do you know who's the better qb? What if Cutler starts showing up and Shanny promotes him. Just like rb you all want the best to start right? What if it's Cutler?

Comment

Originally posted by Domostick
                        How do you know who's the better qb? What if Cutler starts showing up and Shanny promotes him. Just like rb you all want the best to start right? What if it's Cutler?
                        You're right.

It's a common accusation by some that the season is automatically over if Cutler starts.

History, just like records, is rewritten all the time in sports. Recent history has clearly demonstrated that it's possible for rookies to succeed in the NFL.

With a top 5 defense and a strong running game, there is no reason that Jay couldn't be successful THIS year.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Domostick
                          :sigh:

Why does everyone take this so personal? You cannot honestly tell me that 1 preseason game is enough to convince you that Cutler is better than Plummer. 1 preseason game in which Plummer played solid against the Lions #1 defense. 1 preseason game in which the defenses were as vanilla as it gets.

I hope Cutler continues to play this well. I would actually like to see what he could do with the 1st team. But right now, Jake has the experience that Cutler doesn't and has done nothing to deserve being knocked out of the #1 spot.

Comment

I understand where you're coming from but there are a few things I see as a problematic with your thoughts here.

1.) I don't think we want him to be looking over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake.

2.) He will make mistakes there is just no getting around it.

3.) I do think that Jake still gives us the best chance to get the Super Bowl this year. Jay might have good year might even get us to the playoffs but I think there is a great chance we wouldn't.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

You're right.

It's a common accusation by some that the season is automatically over if Cutler starts.

History, just like records, is rewritten all the time in sports. Recent history has clearly demonstrated that it's possible for rookies to succeed in the NFL.

With a top 5 defense and a strong running game, there is no reason that Jay couldn't be successful THIS year.
                              It sounds like a good idea in theory, I'm just not so sure it would translate over well GIVEN recent history. (Not saying it is a horrible idea)

History has dictated that rookie QBs do better when given time to learn behind a veteran, so it would make sense that it would mean the same for Jay. No matter how prepared or sharp or poised he looks now.

He would have had a year in the system and be sharp and ready for the season. Let's say Jay starts next season and Plummer is traded. There is likely a solid veteran to be picked up in the FA somewhere to back Cutler up.

If I were Shanahan, I would stick with a more surefire idea that a QB who has proven to obtain wins in his role as a game manager as some say, or by being a good QB as others say, then a rookie who has only had 1 good preseason game to judge off of. I would rather stick with the proven strategy/approach than a sensible but unproven one.
                              sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                              Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X