Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dayne Knows He's On The Clock

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dayne Knows He's On The Clock

    I found this on the Daily Camera and thought you all might like to see it.

    http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/bronc...941084,00.html

    Clock ticking for Broncos' Dayne
    By Ryan Thorburn, Camera Sports Writer
    August 24, 2006

    ENGLEWOOD — It's time to strike the pose.

    Ron Dayne knows all too well that there is no such thing as job security in the NFL. He entered training camp as the No. 1 tailback but quickly dropped to third on the depth chart behind the Bells — Mike and Tatum.

    The former Heisman Trophy winner sat out practice last week and watched Saturday's exhibition game in street clothes due to a sore toe. Meanwhile, Damien Nash (72 yards, one touchdown) and Cedric Cobbs (65 yards, 6.5 per carry) made the most of the extra carries during the Denver Broncos' 35-10 victory over Tennessee.

    Dayne was back at practice on Wednesday with some work left to do just to make the 53-man roster.

    "He got back into the flow, that's a good sign," Denver head coach Mike Shanahan said. "The more you're out there practicing the better off you are, especially if you're practicing well. Injuries, obviously they don't help anybody. It's the nature of this profession, you're going to get injured. If you do get injured you've got to come back even stronger. So hopefully he shows well in the last two games."

    Nash sat out of Wednesday's practice with a sore knee. Mike Bell continues to hold onto the starting job after the undrafted rookie scored two touchdowns against the Titans.

    Dotting I's and crossing T's

    Because the NFL had not officially signed off on the deal late Wednesday afternoon, Shanahan did not want to comment on the proposed three-team trade that sent disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie to Atlanta, running back T.J. Duckett to Washington and future Redskins draft picks to the Broncos.

    Players seemed to be happy that Lelie, a training camp holdout, was going to be playing football again. At the same time, there didn't seem to be any remorse that No. 85 wouldn't be rejoining the Broncos.

    "You wanted something to happen for him. You don't want guys to sit in football limbo, as it were," fullback Kyle Johnson said. "Obviously, the Denver Broncos are going to try to maximize the situation as best they can. That's what they historically do, and it seems that's what they've done this time as well."

    Duckett and Lelie passed physicals on Wednesday, which means the deal is officially done and the Broncos will receive no worse than third- and fourth-round picks from Washington in the 2007 draft. There is also a scenario, if the Redskins finish with a worse record, where the teams would flip-flop first-round picks and Denver would also receive a third-round pick.

    Injuries

    Rookie wide receiver Brandon Marshall is still recovering from a knee injury sustained on Aug. 11 in the exhibition opener at Detroit. The promising fourth-round pick hopes to be able to play in the final preseason game on Aug. 31 at Arizona.

    Gerard Warren (dislocated toe) hopes to return to practice next week. Courtney Brown (knee) is not expected to be back on the field until preparations for the Sept. 10 regular-season opener begin.
    John 11: 25-27

    My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



    Thanks Snk16

  • #2
    I think Denver missed something in Ron Dayne. To cut some weight off Ron Dayne and boost his stamina would have been a huge benefit. Dayne was rushing in many games for the Badgers around 27-30 times. Now, I know the NFL and the NCAA are two different types of football, but so are the training procedures. One would think the NFL could tap more potential from a college player. All I am saying, is Ron Dayne could have carried to workload as a starter. I guess it started at NY, and they set him up as the type of back he is today.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, they passed their physicals, no backing out cheaply now ala Lee Suggs & Charlie Adams.
      sigpic

      :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

      D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

      :logo:
      Denver Broncos General Manager

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by WI Fan
        I think Denver missed something in Ron Dayne. To cut some weight off Ron Dayne and boost his stamina would have been a huge benefit. Dayne was rushing in many games for the Badgers around 27-30 times. Now, I know the NFL and the NCAA are two different types of football, but so are the training procedures. One would think the NFL could tap more potential from a college player. All I am saying, is Ron Dayne could have carried to workload as a starter. I guess it started at NY, and they set him up as the type of back he is today.
        Shanahan starts the player that performs the best within the Broncos system, period. If Dayne hasn't performed well enough to be considered a starter, it's not because Denver "missed something", it's because Dayne hasn't performed well enough.
        Last edited by BroncFanInPA; 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM. Reason: my poor typing skills

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by WI Fan
          I think Denver missed something in Ron Dayne. To cut some weight off Ron Dayne and boost his stamina would have been a huge benefit. Dayne was rushing in many games for the Badgers around 27-30 times. Now, I know the NFL and the NCAA are two different types of football, but so are the training procedures. One would think the NFL could tap more potential from a college player. All I am saying, is Ron Dayne could have carried to workload as a starter. I guess it started at NY, and they set him up as the type of back he is today.
          OMG THERE BACK!! :brick:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
            Shanahan starts the player that performs the best within the Broncos system, period. If Dayne hasn't performed well enough to be considered a starter, it's not because Denver "missed something", it's because Dayne hasn't performed well enough.
            Oh, I certainly agree. I trust the staff to call 'em like they see 'em. What I am saying is, I don't think he was ever looked at as an every down back. The reason for saying that is, when Anderson left, some questioned his stamina, if he would take that role. In Wisconsin, he ran about 28 times per game, at almost 15lbs heavier!? Stamina should have not been a question, if he was training properly. Obviously, he has the tools, as I don't know of many Heisman winners that don't.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WI Fan
              Oh, I certainly agree. I trust the staff to call 'em like they see 'em. What I am saying is, I don't think he was ever looked at as an every down back. The reason for saying that is, when Anderson left, some questioned his stamina, if he would take that role. In Wisconsin, he ran about 28 times per game, at almost 15lbs heavier!? Stamina should have not been a question, if he was training properly. Obviously, he has the tools, as I don't know of many Heisman winners that don't.
              But in College not everybody is fast, In the NFL everybody on the Defense is FAST.

              Comment


              • #8
                To me Ron Dayne never adapted to the NFL style of play. Alot of people keep talking about what he did in college, but this isn't college. He may have run the ball 28 times a game in college but in college they don't hit as hard or run as fast as in the NFL. He didn't make it yet and the years are counting down on his career.
                RIP Darrent Williams
                You know the difference between winners and losers?

                Ya the score.

                THE REPLACEMENTS

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think Ron Dayne could be a good utility back in the NFL but he is running out of time to be considered a 1st string option. There are too many younger, faster running backs coming out of college.

                  I think many coaches view it like this: He's had 5 or 6 years in the NFL to prove himself and he's been in two running systems (one designed to make running backs look good) and he has struggled.

                  I think that will ultimately be how his professional career is summed up when he retires one day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MyFav
                    To me Ron Dayne never adapted to the NFL style of play. Alot of people keep talking about what he did in college, but this isn't college. He may have run the ball 28 times a game in college but in college they don't hit as hard or run as fast as in the NFL. He didn't make it yet and the years are counting down on his career.
                    Don't you think it is all relative?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by WI Fan
                      Don't you think it is all relative?
                      College is anything but relative when talking about how good a player will be in the pros. There are a ton of super college athletes that couldn't do anything in the pros and there are also a ton of guys that did nothing in college that have shined brightly in the NFL. I would say it isn't relative at all.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jhns
                        College is anything but relative when talking about how good a player will be in the pros. There are a ton of super college athletes that couldn't do anything in the pros and there are also a ton of guys that did nothing in college that have shined brightly in the NFL. I would say it isn't relative at all.
                        You said it before I could.
                        RIP Darrent Williams
                        You know the difference between winners and losers?

                        Ya the score.

                        THE REPLACEMENTS

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Q-niverse
                          I think Ron Dayne could be a good utility back in the NFL but he is running out of time to be considered a 1st string option. There are too many younger, faster running backs coming out of college.

                          I think many coaches view it like this: He's had 5 or 6 years in the NFL to prove himself and he's been in two running systems (one designed to make running backs look good) and he has struggled.

                          I think that will ultimately be how his professional career is summed up when he retires one day.

                          If you're meaning that he could be a short yardage back that's not Ron Dayne. He doesn't run with the kind of power he needs to be a short yardage back.
                          Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM.
                          John 11: 25-27

                          My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                          Thanks Snk16

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Q-niverse
                            I think Ron Dayne could be a good utility back in the NFL but he is running out of time to be considered a 1st string option. There are too many younger, faster running backs coming out of college.

                            I think many coaches view it like this: He's had 5 or 6 years in the NFL to prove himself and he's been in two running systems (one designed to make running backs look good) and he has struggled.

                            I think that will ultimately be how his professional career is summed up when he retires one day.
                            That's just it, he ran in 2 systems, NY had Tiki Barber as the starter and Dayne was the compliment, much like Mike and Tatum last year. Dayne had basically (2) 700 yd seasons as a backup, behind an inconsistant Kerry Collins and Barber that had 1000 and 865 yard seasons. Now, to come in to his first year at Denver last year and take over duties from one Mike Anderson, would have been and was almost impossible. Oh yeah, and Denver's running game, is a heck of a lot better than those years I quoted by the Giants.

                            All I am saying is, it would have been interesting to see Dayne as the starter. There is something to be said for a 245lber running the ball versus someone 30lbs lighter. Defensive lines would have maybe had a tougher time. The only problem he had is he didn't...get off his butt and win the job! Oh well, just a thought.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is my :2cents: I feel that Dayne is too much of an outside runner (at least of what I saw last year) to fit this sytem. I think Mike Bell is more of a bruiser and Tatum is a change of pace. This could change, but I do not see it happening. I was impressed by Bell (Mike) on Sat night. I just hope he can continue this into the season and we (even the Dayne lovers because we are all Bronco fans) will all be happy. MHO
                              NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X