X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    From what I've seen so far, I'll be sorely dissappointed if we keep Dayne over either Bell, Cobbs, or Nash. I think all of these guys have out played him and have done more with the reps they were given.

Right now there are two knocks against Dayne:

1) When given the opportunity, he hasn't run hard or with passion. He still doesn't use his 240+ lbs effectively which is extremely frustrating to me.

2) He's been hurt and missed a game and several practices. Normally, this is just standard procedure for the NFL and no big deal especially if you are the established starter, but when you are competing for a job in the pre-season you have to compete or you just won't make the team.

That's just it Dayne was given the inside track by Shanahan before offseason training began and then when started he didn't play well and now missed all that practice time. Dayne could still make the roster but right now I think he's very close to being cut. If he survives the first round of cuts he might make it.

Leave a comment:

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied
    Just say "no" to Dayne

From what I've seen so far, I'll be sorely dissappointed if we keep Dayne over either Bell, Cobbs, or Nash. I think all of these guys have out played him and have done more with the reps they were given.

Right now there are two knocks against Dayne:

1) When given the opportunity, he hasn't run hard or with passion. He still doesn't use his 240+ lbs effectively which is extremely frustrating to me.

2) He's been hurt and missed a game and several practices. Normally, this is just standard procedure for the NFL and no big deal especially if you are the established starter, but when you are competing for a job in the pre-season you have to compete or you just won't make the team.

Leave a comment:

• sneakers
    replied
    Originally posted by WI Fan
    That's just it, he ran in 2 systems, NY had Tiki Barber as the starter and Dayne was the compliment, much like Mike and Tatum last year. Dayne had basically (2) 700 yd seasons as a backup, behind an inconsistant Kerry Collins and Barber that had 1000 and 865 yard seasons. Now, to come in to his first year at Denver last year and take over duties from one Mike Anderson, would have been and was almost impossible. Oh yeah, and Denver's running game, is a heck of a lot better than those years I quoted by the Giants.

All I am saying is, it would have been interesting to see Dayne as the starter. There is something to be said for a 245lber running the ball versus someone 30lbs lighter. Defensive lines would have maybe had a tougher time. The only problem he had is he didn't...get off his butt and win the job! Oh well, just a thought.
    It was good for him to get out of NY. Their running style was totally unlike Wisconsin's. As for the Broncos running style, pretty darn similar to the broncos.

I hope he can do some good things over the next two preseason games. Go Broncos!

Leave a comment:

• WI Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by jhns
    College is anything but relative when talking about how good a player will be in the pros. There are a ton of super college athletes that couldn't do anything in the pros and there are also a ton of guys that did nothing in college that have shined brightly in the NFL. I would say it isn't relative at all.
    What I meant was, college players are at a particular level, and typically they improve to the NFL level.

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    This is my :2cents: I feel that Dayne is too much of an outside runner (at least of what I saw last year) to fit this sytem. I think Mike Bell is more of a bruiser and Tatum is a change of pace. This could change, but I do not see it happening. I was impressed by Bell (Mike) on Sat night. I just hope he can continue this into the season and we (even the Dayne lovers because we are all Bronco fans) will all be happy. MHO

Leave a comment:

• WI Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Q-niverse
    I think Ron Dayne could be a good utility back in the NFL but he is running out of time to be considered a 1st string option. There are too many younger, faster running backs coming out of college.

I think many coaches view it like this: He's had 5 or 6 years in the NFL to prove himself and he's been in two running systems (one designed to make running backs look good) and he has struggled.

I think that will ultimately be how his professional career is summed up when he retires one day.
    That's just it, he ran in 2 systems, NY had Tiki Barber as the starter and Dayne was the compliment, much like Mike and Tatum last year. Dayne had basically (2) 700 yd seasons as a backup, behind an inconsistant Kerry Collins and Barber that had 1000 and 865 yard seasons. Now, to come in to his first year at Denver last year and take over duties from one Mike Anderson, would have been and was almost impossible. Oh yeah, and Denver's running game, is a heck of a lot better than those years I quoted by the Giants.

All I am saying is, it would have been interesting to see Dayne as the starter. There is something to be said for a 245lber running the ball versus someone 30lbs lighter. Defensive lines would have maybe had a tougher time. The only problem he had is he didn't...get off his butt and win the job! Oh well, just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by Q-niverse
    I think Ron Dayne could be a good utility back in the NFL but he is running out of time to be considered a 1st string option. There are too many younger, faster running backs coming out of college.

I think many coaches view it like this: He's had 5 or 6 years in the NFL to prove himself and he's been in two running systems (one designed to make running backs look good) and he has struggled.

I think that will ultimately be how his professional career is summed up when he retires one day.

If you're meaning that he could be a short yardage back that's not Ron Dayne. He doesn't run with the kind of power he needs to be a short yardage back.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-24-2006, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MyFav
    replied
    Originally posted by jhns
    College is anything but relative when talking about how good a player will be in the pros. There are a ton of super college athletes that couldn't do anything in the pros and there are also a ton of guys that did nothing in college that have shined brightly in the NFL. I would say it isn't relative at all.
    You said it before I could.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    Don't you think it is all relative?

Leave a comment:

• WI Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by MyFav
    To me Ron Dayne never adapted to the NFL style of play. Alot of people keep talking about what he did in college, but this isn't college. He may have run the ball 28 times a game in college but in college they don't hit as hard or run as fast as in the NFL. He didn't make it yet and the years are counting down on his career.
    Don't you think it is all relative?

Leave a comment:

• Q-niverse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MyFav
    replied
    To me Ron Dayne never adapted to the NFL style of play. Alot of people keep talking about what he did in college, but this isn't college. He may have run the ball 28 times a game in college but in college they don't hit as hard or run as fast as in the NFL. He didn't make it yet and the years are counting down on his career.

Leave a comment:

• P-NUT33
    replied
    Oh, I certainly agree. I trust the staff to call 'em like they see 'em. What I am saying is, I don't think he was ever looked at as an every down back. The reason for saying that is, when Anderson left, some questioned his stamina, if he would take that role. In Wisconsin, he ran about 28 times per game, at almost 15lbs heavier!? Stamina should have not been a question, if he was training properly. Obviously, he has the tools, as I don't know of many Heisman winners that don't.
    But in College not everybody is fast, In the NFL everybody on the Defense is FAST.

Leave a comment:

• WI Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
    Shanahan starts the player that performs the best within the Broncos system, period. If Dayne hasn't performed well enough to be considered a starter, it's not because Denver "missed something", it's because Dayne hasn't performed well enough.
    Oh, I certainly agree. I trust the staff to call 'em like they see 'em. What I am saying is, I don't think he was ever looked at as an every down back. The reason for saying that is, when Anderson left, some questioned his stamina, if he would take that role. In Wisconsin, he ran about 28 times per game, at almost 15lbs heavier!? Stamina should have not been a question, if he was training properly. Obviously, he has the tools, as I don't know of many Heisman winners that don't.

Leave a comment:

• P-NUT33
    replied
    I think Denver missed something in Ron Dayne. To cut some weight off Ron Dayne and boost his stamina would have been a huge benefit. Dayne was rushing in many games for the Badgers around 27-30 times. Now, I know the NFL and the NCAA are two different types of football, but so are the training procedures. One would think the NFL could tap more potential from a college player. All I am saying, is Ron Dayne could have carried to workload as a starter. I guess it started at NY, and they set him up as the type of back he is today.
    OMG THERE BACK!! :brick:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X