Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twenty things I learned from early preseason - Sporting News

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Twenty things I learned from early preseason - Sporting News

    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=118311

    Twenty things I learned from early preseason
    August 17, 2006
    (Yes, I know it's only the preseason, but here are a few observations from week one).

    1. Reggie Bush will be better than advertised. Just give him the ball and get out of his way. We'll be laughing at the Texans for decades to come.
    2. Rex Grossman will kill the Bears' season if he is the starter. It should be Griese.
    3. McNabb might have a better season than I thought. So might the Eagles.
    4. Vince Young will not make it in the NFL. It will be a tough career for Vince.
    5. The Jets still stink and have no offense.

    6. Jay Cutler will be better than Ben Roethlisberger. He looks like he should be starting right now.

    7. The Lions are the sleeper team this year.
    8. I feel like betting the on Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. New Stadium, great receivers and a former MVP at QB is a recipe for success.
    9. Matt Leinart will impress right from the start.
    10. The Raiders, despite winning their first two preseason games, will stink.
    11. Aaron Brooks, your career is over.
    12. Daunte Culpepper is hiding something. That something might be that he's not ready to play.
    13. The Redskins will be making excuses all year. They're overrated.
    14. Tony Romo should start for the Cowboys.
    15. Terrell Owens, is he really hurt? NO!
    16. Brett Favre will wish he retired.
    17. All Packers players will wish they retired after winning just four games this year.
    18. Mike Vick will return to being a stud and lead the Falcons to the playoffs.
    19. Peyton Manning will again bow out of the playoffs. No Super Bowl for Peyton.
    20. The 49ers will go 8-8.



    ----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

    Where Jay Graduated!


    I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

  • #2
    I don't know about the Reggie Bush statement. I don't think that he has looked all that hot yet.
    And Tony Romo to start over Drew is funny to me. Did you watch him the other night? He showed why he should be starting.
    RIP Darrent Williams
    You know the difference between winners and losers?

    Ya the score.

    THE REPLACEMENTS

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by cutlerfan
      http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=118311

      Twenty things I learned from early preseason
      August 17, 2006
      (Yes, I know it's only the preseason, but here are a few observations from week one).

      1. Reggie Bush will be better than advertised. Just give him the ball and get out of his way. We'll be laughing at the Texans for decades to come.
      2. Rex Grossman will kill the Bears' season if he is the starter. It should be Griese.
      3. McNabb might have a better season than I thought. So might the Eagles.
      4. Vince Young will not make it in the NFL. It will be a tough career for Vince.
      5. The Jets still stink and have no offense.
      6. Jay Cutler will be better than Ben Roethlisberger. He looks like he should be starting right now.
      7. The Lions are the sleeper team this year.
      8. I feel like betting the on Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. New Stadium, great receivers and a former MVP at QB is a recipe for success.
      9. Matt Leinart will impress right from the start.
      10. The Raiders, despite winning their first two preseason games, will stink.
      11. Aaron Brooks, your career is over.

      12. Daunte Culpepper is hiding something. That something might be that he's not ready to play.
      13. The Redskins will be making excuses all year. They're overrated.
      14. Tony Romo should start for the Cowboys.
      15. Terrell Owens, is he really hurt? NO!
      16. Brett Favre will wish he retired.
      17. All Packers players will wish they retired after winning just four games this year.
      18. Mike Vick will return to being a stud and lead the Falcons to the playoffs.
      19. Peyton Manning will again bow out of the playoffs. No Super Bowl for Peyton.
      20. The 49ers will go 8-8.
      These are my two favorites, but that Cutler thing is nice too. It's good to have a young QB who seems ready - even if he's still learning the system and getting used to the pace of the game.

      :idiot: <--Aaron Brooks

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MyFav
        I don't know about the Reggie Bush statement. I don't think that he has looked all that hot yet.
        And Tony Romo to start over Drew is funny to me. Did you watch him the other night? He showed why he should be starting.
        I do agree with you. Bush has to prove me he can run the rock for 25 times a game.

        Drew is still the man, Romo does not have a great arm.



        ----------------------------------------------
        I work at Vanderbilt University

        Where Jay Graduated!


        I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

        Comment


        • #5
          I love what you said about Favre. I think that he is going to wish that he retire before the regular season starts.
          RIP Darrent Williams
          You know the difference between winners and losers?

          Ya the score.

          THE REPLACEMENTS

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MyFav
            I don't know about the Reggie Bush statement. I don't think that he has looked all that hot yet.
            And Tony Romo to start over Drew is funny to me. Did you watch him the other night? He showed why he should be starting.
            Well, in fairness, he wrote the article a few days after Bush averaged almost 10 yds a carry in his debut, but didn't see the 4 carries/7 yds/1.8ypc performance against dallas.

            Bush will probably be decent, but I don't think he'll be as great as advertised.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cutlerfan
              http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=118311

              Twenty things I learned from early preseason
              August 17, 2006
              (Yes, I know it's only the preseason, but here are a few observations from week one).

              1. Reggie Bush will be better than advertised. Just give him the ball and get out of his way. We'll be laughing at the Texans for decades to come.
              2. Rex Grossman will kill the Bears' season if he is the starter. It should be Griese.
              3. McNabb might have a better season than I thought. So might the Eagles.
              4. Vince Young will not make it in the NFL. It will be a tough career for Vince.
              5. The Jets still stink and have no offense.

              6. Jay Cutler will be better than Ben Roethlisberger. He looks like he should be starting right now.

              7. The Lions are the sleeper team this year.
              8. I feel like betting the on Arizona Cardinals to win the Super Bowl. New Stadium, great receivers and a former MVP at QB is a recipe for success.
              9. Matt Leinart will impress right from the start.
              10. The Raiders, despite winning their first two preseason games, will stink.
              11. Aaron Brooks, your career is over.
              12. Daunte Culpepper is hiding something. That something might be that he's not ready to play.
              13. The Redskins will be making excuses all year. They're overrated.
              14. Tony Romo should start for the Cowboys.
              15. Terrell Owens, is he really hurt? NO!
              16. Brett Favre will wish he retired.
              17. All Packers players will wish they retired after winning just four games this year.
              18. Mike Vick will return to being a stud and lead the Falcons to the playoffs.
              19. Peyton Manning will again bow out of the playoffs. No Super Bowl for Peyton.
              20. The 49ers will go 8-8.
              1. No, not without some more blocking, but if he gets block, he can work his magic. As good as/worse than advertised IMO.
              2. Yes... Griese should start, the only competition being the Vikings and the Packers in a LONGshot.
              3. Of course. The forskins will pave the way. People think it was T.O. that killed the Eagles, but, just like the Packers, injury killed them.
              4. From what we see now, agreed. Maybe Jeff Fisher can make it work.
              5. Yes.
              6. Not unless Plummer is injured. Plummer > Maddox. 13-3 AFC Championship > 6-10 suckfest. Not now. He will be good, but even Big Ben was going to sit on the bench.
              7. Not a chance.
              8. But no linebackers outside of Carlos Dansby and the secondary only has Antrell Rolle, Adrian Wilson and then the past-his-prime Robert Griffith. No offensive line either. 9-7 at best but no wildcard.
              9. If he can get some protection, he has a lot to work with. Agreed.
              10. Could of guessed that one.
              11. Being in Oakland didn't give you the first clue?
              12. Hopefully he's ready, but he should not be rushed. Or you are stuck with Harrington. Good luck with that.
              13. Possibly. Dream said it best, good talent on paper, but lack of chemistry. Injuries might also hamper them. That whole division is a crapshoot IMO.
              14. Hell no. Drew Bledsoe can still throw and has shown some mobility in the pocket against the Saints. If the Cowboys want to win, Bledsoe is there man.
              15. Not hurt, but he's revelling in fame right now.
              16. Possibly. He has no interior blocking though and few targets. Likely he will retire after this season.
              17. No...
              18. It's up to him, but it's honestly between the Falcons and the Bucs for the wildcard behind Carolina.
              19. Correct.
              20. No. 5-11 at the most. Vernon Davis likely OROY.

              :2cents:
              sigpic

              :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

              D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

              :logo:
              Denver Broncos General Manager

              Comment


              • #8
                My 20 things?

                #1 Preseason really means nothing
                #2 Reggie Bush is gonna blow everyones mind out, im just looking at some of his plays.
                #3 Jets are going to suck majorly, but D-Brick is turning out to be a solid pick
                #4 Raiders are going to outdo the overhyped Chargers due to Rivers succes in the preseason (see #1)
                #5 BRONCO FANS PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE INTO CUTLER FOR LOOKING GOOD IN THE PRESEASON.
                #6 Chiefs new coach Herm will put the team in good shape after the rebuilding period, 2years away.
                #7 Arizona is going to push Seattle for the division title.
                #8 TO is a punk, hurt, and wont make the playoffs
                #9 Washington is winning the Division.
                #10 Carolina is missing the playoffs
                #11 Falcons are making it to the SB.
                #12 Phins are making the playoffs not as a wild card spot
                #13 NE is going to have a mediocre season
                #14 Cincy and Balty will be better teams than Pit.
                #15 49ers arent finishign last in their division
                #16 Bush or VD for the OROY and AJ Hawk DROY
                #17 Packers will have the 2nd worst record but bright young stars (Jennings & Hawk)
                #18 Jaguars are going to win the AFCS, and beat the Bengals in the AFCC
                #19 Brad Johnson will loose the starting QB job in Minn to Tarivis Jackson
                #20 Jax is LOOSING the SB to Atl BY 10 points.


                Now after reading all my things, go back and read #1 again. :dance: :thumb:
                Last edited by GridironChamp; 08-24-2006, 03:14 PM.
                Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                Comment


                • #9
                  the raiders r 3-0, just felt like putting that out there....
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    # 8 makes me laugh! I live in AZ and have the whole time the Cards have been here since 1987. Even mentioning them in the superbowl is pretty funny.

                    I think they will improve, but there lines are horrid, and they are 10 million or so under the cap....

                    I say 8 an 8 for them.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      O yeah, my #21

                      #21 Matt Jones will be a top 7 WR after this year. :devil:

                      I think im just gonna periodically add some new thoughts on here as the preseason moves on
                      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                      ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GridironChamp
                        My 20 things?

                        #1 Preseason really means nothing
                        #2 Reggie Bush is gonna blow everyones mind out, im just looking at some of his plays.
                        #3 Jets are going to suck majorly, but D-Brick is turning out to be a solid pick
                        #4 Raiders are going to outdo the overhyped Chargers due to Rivers succes in the preseason (see #1)
                        #5 BRONCO FANS PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE INTO CUTLER FOR LOOKING GOOD IN THE PRESEASON.
                        #6 Chiefs new coach Herm will put the team in good shape after the rebuilding period, 2years away.
                        #7 Arizona is going to push Seattle for the division title.
                        #8 TO is a punk, hurt, and wont make the playoffs
                        #9 Washington is winning the Division.
                        #10 Carolina is missing the playoffs
                        #11 Falcons are making it to the SB.
                        #12 Phins are making the playoffs not as a wild card spot
                        #13 NE is going to have a mediocre season
                        #14 Cincy and Balty will be better teams than Pit.
                        #15 49ers arent finishign last in their division
                        #16 Bush or VD for the OROY and AJ Hawk DROY
                        #17 Packers will have the 2nd worst record but bright young stars (Jennings & Hawk)
                        #18 Jaguars are going to win the AFCS, and beat the Bengals in the AFCC
                        #19 Brad Johnson will loose the starting QB job in Minn to Tarivis Jackson
                        #20 Jax is LOOSING the SB to Atl BY 10 points.


                        Now after reading all my things, go back and read #1 again. :dance: :thumb:
                        WOW Jax to SB! Atl I think will make playoffs as a WC. CAR will be the team in the NFC.

                        ^^^^^^^^^^
                        made by Snk16

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by GridironChamp
                          My 20 things?

                          #1 Preseason really means nothing
                          #2 Reggie Bush is gonna blow everyones mind out, im just looking at some of his plays.
                          #3 Jets are going to suck majorly, but D-Brick is turning out to be a solid pick
                          #4 Raiders are going to outdo the overhyped Chargers due to Rivers succes in the preseason (see #1)
                          #5 BRONCO FANS PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE INTO CUTLER FOR LOOKING GOOD IN THE PRESEASON.
                          #6 Chiefs new coach Herm will put the team in good shape after the rebuilding period, 2years away.
                          #7 Arizona is going to push Seattle for the division title.
                          #8 TO is a punk, hurt, and wont make the playoffs
                          #9 Washington is winning the Division.
                          #10 Carolina is missing the playoffs
                          #11 Falcons are making it to the SB.
                          #12 Phins are making the playoffs not as a wild card spot
                          #13 NE is going to have a mediocre season
                          #14 Cincy and Balty will be better teams than Pit.
                          #15 49ers arent finishign last in their division
                          #16 Bush or VD for the OROY and AJ Hawk DROY
                          #17 Packers will have the 2nd worst record but bright young stars (Jennings & Hawk)
                          #18 Jaguars are going to win the AFCS, and beat the Bengals in the AFCC
                          #19 Brad Johnson will loose the starting QB job in Minn to Tarivis Jackson
                          #20 Jax is LOOSING the SB to Atl BY 10 points.


                          Now after reading all my things, go back and read #1 again. :dance: :thumb:
                          I agree with you on a lot of these, especially number 1 and number 5. I was actually surprised by #6, that's a pretty honest and accurate assessment... most fans tend not to think that during the preseason.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GridironChamp
                            My 20 things?

                            #1 Preseason really means nothing
                            #2 Reggie Bush is gonna blow everyones mind out, im just looking at some of his plays.
                            #3 Jets are going to suck majorly, but D-Brick is turning out to be a solid pick
                            #4 Raiders are going to outdo the overhyped Chargers due to Rivers succes in the preseason (see #1)
                            #5 BRONCO FANS PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE INTO CUTLER FOR LOOKING GOOD IN THE PRESEASON.
                            #6 Chiefs new coach Herm will put the team in good shape after the rebuilding period, 2years away.
                            #7 Arizona is going to push Seattle for the division title.
                            #8 TO is a punk, hurt, and wont make the playoffs
                            #9 Washington is winning the Division.
                            #10 Carolina is missing the playoffs
                            #11 Falcons are making it to the SB.
                            #12 Phins are making the playoffs not as a wild card spot
                            #13 NE is going to have a mediocre season
                            #14 Cincy and Balty will be better teams than Pit.
                            #15 49ers arent finishign last in their division
                            #16 Bush or VD for the OROY and AJ Hawk DROY
                            #17 Packers will have the 2nd worst record but bright young stars (Jennings & Hawk)
                            #18 Jaguars are going to win the AFCS, and beat the Bengals in the AFCC
                            #19 Brad Johnson will loose the starting QB job in Minn to Tarivis Jackson
                            #19 Jax is LOOSING the SB to Atl BY 10 points.
                            1. Yes
                            2. He looks good, imagine him behind an actual good line?
                            3. Yes
                            4. They won't outdo them, likely you and the Chargers will compete for the wildcard.
                            5. :clap: Round of applause everyone, the man finally gets it.
                            6. Probably.
                            7. Not sure about that. Seattle has a beast defense to match a great offense. The Cardinals are overloaded offensively, and are missing key lineman that will excel the offense. Defense is also question.
                            8. Yes. I hope he makes the playoffs for the sake of us getting better value in the skins trade and not allowing the skins to do better.
                            9. It's a crapshoot to me honestly. The Eagles are healed mostly and can compete, Washington has all the right pieces in place, but can they gel as a team?, The cowboys got supreme offensive firepower to balance an improved defense and the giants have only gotten better and more unified.
                            10. Don't think so.
                            11. Not likely, but not impossible either.
                            12. Yes.
                            13. Maybe not. I'm still considering them a contender. They still have Brady and he can win games.
                            14. Yes.
                            15. What are you smoking? Who did they replace Peterson with? Lawson only fixes one LB spot, but Jamie Winborn's spot is wide open. Davis will be good, but they are not going anywhere. No secondary, outside of Parrish. No D-line, shoddy o-line (larry Allen should help).
                            16. I think it's VD for OROY and Mario Williams or A.J. for DROY.
                            17. They're not THAT bad.
                            18. I'm not sure about that. Did they replace Akin Ayodele? Their receiver position hasn't been addressed and I doubt Matt Jones can fill the shoes of Jimmy Smith, atleast this year.
                            19. At some point this year, yes.
                            20. Bold prediciton. My guess is Bengals 24, Redskins 21. Gut Feeling.
                            sigpic

                            :cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

                            D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

                            :logo:
                            Denver Broncos General Manager

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lorcust
                              1. Yes
                              2. He looks good, imagine him behind an actual good line?
                              3. Yes
                              4. They won't outdo them, likely you and the Chargers will compete for the wildcard.
                              5. :clap: Round of applause everyone, the man finally gets it.
                              6. Probably.
                              7. Not sure about that. Seattle has a beast defense to match a great offense. The Cardinals are overloaded offensively, and are missing key lineman that will excel the offense. Defense is also question.
                              8. Yes. I hope he makes the playoffs for the sake of us getting better value in the skins trade and not allowing the skins to do better.
                              9. It's a crapshoot to me honestly. The Eagles are healed mostly and can compete, Washington has all the right pieces in place, but can they gel as a team?, The cowboys got supreme offensive firepower to balance an improved defense and the giants have only gotten better and more unified.
                              10. Don't think so.
                              11. Not likely, but not impossible either.
                              12. Yes.
                              13. Maybe not. I'm still considering them a contender. They still have Brady and he can win games.
                              14. Yes.
                              15. What are you smoking? Who did they replace Peterson with? Lawson only fixes one LB spot, but Jamie Winborn's spot is wide open. Davis will be good, but they are not going anywhere. No secondary, outside of Parrish. No D-line, shoddy o-line (larry Allen should help).
                              16. I think it's VD for OROY and Mario Williams or A.J. for DROY.
                              17. They're not THAT bad.
                              18. I'm not sure about that. Did they replace Akin Ayodele? Their receiver position hasn't been addressed and I doubt Matt Jones can fill the shoes of Jimmy Smith, atleast this year.
                              19. At some point this year, yes.
                              20. Bold prediciton. My guess is Bengals 24, Redskins 21. Gut Feeling.
                              For the Jaxsonville statment, i think Matt Jones in his second year ouplays Smith (the way Smith played the last 2-3 years) and i think ther other 3 guys there (Edwards, Williams, and Wilford) can make up for the other spot. Mercades Lewis is a supreme pass catching TE, thier D is still solid, they are missing 1 OLB position but their Amazing DTs and MLB make up for that IMO.

                              But again all falls back to my #1.
                              Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

                              ^^^Get used to it.^^^

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X