Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third game a tuneup for Broncos regulars

Another Bronco article for your perusal:

DENVER -- Providing they all make curfew, the Denver Broncos' starters will get their final tuneup for the regular season Sunday night against the Houston Texans.

The regulars will play most of the game and most of the established ones will sit out five days later when the Broncos wrap up their preseason schedule at Arizona, which is the last chance for players on the bubble to earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

On offense, the Broncos hope to get wide receiver Javon Walker some catches after he failed to get any last week against Tennessee, his first since missing the final 15 games of last season with a knee injury.

They also want to see if Ron Dayne, who missed almost two weeks with a turf toe injury, has enough left to hold off a bevy of young running backs to make the team as a backup after losing his starting role early in camp.

Defensively, the Broncos are eager to see if their front four can continue pressuring the quarterback with starters Gerard Warren (toe) and Courtney Brown (knee) sidelined until the opener at St. Louis on Sept. 10.

Both units shone last week against Tennessee even though defensive captains Al Wilson and Champ Bailey were held out by coach Mike Shanahan after failing to check into the team hotel by 11:15 the night before. Both said they overslept but vowed to set their alarm clocks Saturday night.

The first round of cuts is Tuesday, so the limited time the backups get will be important. But because this is the last tuneup for the regulars, this game means a little bit more than the other preseason games.

"It's a necessary evil, really, because the preseason doesn't matter, doesn't count," quarterback Jake Plummer said. "But you obviously have to do it to get in football shape, to get as many reps as you can in a row and hopefully some long, sustained drives to get your heart rate up and your breathing up to get ready for the first game.

"We looked good last week. We just want to continue on that trend."

The starting offense scored three touchdowns and the second-stringers added two more in a 35-10 rout of the Titans after a three-turnover stumble at Detroit the week before.

"The turnovers the first game we didn't like, so we shored that up last week and we're doing well on third down, which was a big concern for us this offseason, and we got better in the red zone this last week," Plummer said.

This game has a twist: The Texans are coached by Gary Kubiak, who was Denver's offensive coordinator since 1995 before returning to his hometown this offseason for his first head coaching job.

"It's both ways. We know what Kubs is running over there, too, on offense," Plummer said. "He's seen our defense a lot. But it's going to be fun. I'm excited for Kubs. He's well-deserving of being a head coach, and it will be fun to see him on the sideline being the head man, being in charge. So, it will be a fun game."

Fun, but not altogether meaningless.

"It does tell you where your starters are at, but it's not going to tell you what's going to happen in December," said Broncos assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger, who replaced Kubiak on Shanahan's staff.

"Then again, it will tell us how we handle our game plan and schemes and how our players have gotten ready this week," Heimerdinger said. "That's why we prepare it as a regular season game, to see if they prepare right and they know their assignments and all that stuff that we give them in the game plan this week instead of doing it like we have the other weeks, just running plays.

"They have to study. So, there's a lot of little tests in there that you're putting together to see where your team is."

Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer cringes at any suggestion that a preseason game doesn't mean much.

"It sets the tone for how you play," he insisted. "You are what you prepare to be. So, if you prepare lousy, you're going to be lousy. It's just that simple. You can't turn it on week to week. You've got to play every game."
    I might not appreciate Coyer's schemes but I do appreciate his attitude.

As for the game, I'm interested for multiple reasons. The Bronco stuff I'm sure most of us share. But I'm also interested in watching what appears to be an improved Texans team. I'm pulling for Kubiak to prove he deserved his new job, although not at the Broncos' expense.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I really want to see Javon Walker play.

I don't want to be looking back and saying,''damn, we coulda had Chad Jackson.''

that would hurt...
    Go Huskers.

Comment

This will be a special game. I am interested in seeing Kubiak go up against the Master...now if only this were a regular season game...

Comment

yeah.. I don't think there is any game planning or a lot of stratgizing... so I don't consider this to be a Kubiak vs Shanahan match at all. The offensive plays and schemes are pretty vanilla.. the defenses will be vanilla (although defenses have already blitzed a lot more this preseason then they normally do this time of year).

I'm just looking forward to seeing the first team offense on the field longer.

Comment

With both teams starters playing into the 3rd quarter, I'm just hoping that our 1st teams can keep it respectable vs. yours. I'd love to win but if our starters show that we can play with you guys, I think my Texans will enjoy a .500 season or better. Coach Kubes already has our boys running through walls for him. He commands a lot of respect from his players & is not afraid to call any of them out when they mess up ... practice OR a game situation.
          Kubes got on DCarr on last weeks 1st series & he didn't even wait for him to hit the sidelines. He started in on him as we walked that way. DCarr for the past 4 yrs, has been treated with 'kid gloves' by the former coaching staff but Kubes holds every player accountable & I sooo love that. Hopefully sooner than later we'll enjoy the same success you guys have had with Kubes in the future.
          Heres to a competitive, injury-free game tomorrow night.

Comment

This is a tuneup game. Both Shannahan and Kubiak won't be running the special plays, but they will be running their regular offenses and trying to see if their team can move the ball and score. Both are competitive and I'll bet you this is no ordinary preseason game between the two. As far as offense goes........Kubiak too is a master.
            Emancipate your mind!
            The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              Another Bronco article for your perusal:

I might not appreciate Coyer's schemes but I do appreciate his attitude.

As for the game, I'm interested for multiple reasons. The Bronco stuff I'm sure most of us share. But I'm also interested in watching what appears to be an improved Texans team. I'm pulling for Kubiak to prove he deserved his new job, although not at the Broncos' expense.
              Yeah I know what you mean. I wish Kubiak the best but not against us.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Jim
                With both teams starters playing into the 3rd quarter, I'm just hoping that our 1st teams can keep it respectable vs. yours. I'd love to win but if our starters show that we can play with you guys, I think my Texans will enjoy a .500 season or better. Coach Kubes already has our boys running through walls for him. He commands a lot of respect from his players & is not afraid to call any of them out when they mess up ... practice OR a game situation.
                Kubes got on DCarr on last weeks 1st series & he didn't even wait for him to hit the sidelines. He started in on him as we walked that way. DCarr for the past 4 yrs, has been treated with 'kid gloves' by the former coaching staff but Kubes holds every player accountable & I sooo love that. Hopefully sooner than later we'll enjoy the same success you guys have had with Kubes in the future.

If anyone can Carr on the right track its Kubiak.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Jim

well said! you guys are going to love kubes-- he has been deserving of a HC position for quite some time now, kudos to the texans organization for being smart enough to give him the chance. . . . of course broncos fans were sad to see him go, but he more than earned the opportunity, and i think most if not all of us will be rooting for him to do well. . . . i do think it may take him a year or two to turn over the roster and find guys who fit what he wants to do, as well as installing his schemes, but i believe he will get that team into contention for the first time in it's existence before too long here. . . . enjoy the game!

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick7
                    I really want to see Javon Walker play.

I don't want to be looking back and saying,''damn, we coulda had Chad Jackson.''

that would hurt...
                    The Broncos loved Jackson, no doubt about it -- but in terms of what can get us the ultimate prize. . . (the Lombardi Trophy) the Broncos believed getting a veteran receiver who has had a Pro-Bowl honor was the route to go. Can't say I could fault them, seemed logical, but I would have much rather had Rod and Ashley on this team along with a kid like Jackson or Jennings on the team. That's me. We did get Brandon though, who I rated fairly highly last year and to the looks of things, is challenging for a #3 spot on our WR Chart.

Comment

Broncos | Nash out Sunday
                      Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:04:07 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos RB Damien Nash (undisclosed) will not play in the team's preseason game Sunday, Aug. 27.
                      -------------------------------------------

Looks like Cobbs is the no. 3...

I wouldn't be surprised if "undisclosed" was team punishment.

Comment

Anyone want to guess which Bronco lays out Putzier in the pre-season?

It's a tradition you know. My money is on Lynch. Lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Nahhh...it's usually the smaller guys. Roc Alexander.

Lynch would probably mortally injure the Putz.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Jay Cutler.
                            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

guessing this should be a time where dayne can impress his coaches and hopefully not get cut, since one of ur running backs r out.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X