Nash article, will he make this cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash article, will he make this cut?

Do you think Nash will make the first cut? I honestly have no clue about our 3rd string RB situation, not sure who's going to be around between Dayne, Cobb, and Nash. Thought this was a decent read...

Broncos' Nash tries to run in one place

By Pat Rooney, Special to the News
    August 24, 2006
    ENGLEWOOD - Damien Nash probably is not yet old enough to be tagged with a cutesy nickname such as "The Travelin' Man."
    But, youth aside, Nash certainly has logged a lot of miles and has been immersed in several offensive schemes since he graduated from East St. Louis (Ill.) Senior High School in 2001.

A junior college, a Big 12 Conference school and his first NFL team already are in Nash's rearview mirror. Just a few weeks into his tenure with the Broncos, Nash hopes he finally has found a home.

Despite missing practice Wednesday because of a slightly sprained knee he suffered Saturday against the Tennessee Titans, Nash has been so impressive since joining the Broncos backfield as a free agent Aug. 3 that he is pushing former Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne for a roster spot.

It perhaps is one of the biggest surprises of the Broncos' preseason that Nash has rebounded from a checkered past to make such a positive impression.

"I've just been doing what I always do, and that is come in and push myself to compete at the highest level," Nash said. "I just want to get somewhere and be somewhere - hopefully, it's here - that I can settle down and call it home and have a successful career."

Settling down hasn't been easy. After playing one season at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, Nash went to the University of Missouri and turned in plenty of sparkling moments.

Yet Tigers fans might remember Nash best for publicly criticizing the play-calling of coach Gary Pinkel after a tough loss against Oklahoma State, an episode that led to a one-game suspension and hastened Nash's early departure for the NFL.

Tennessee selected Nash in the fifth round of the 2005 draft, and he appeared in three games for the Titans. But Nash found himself in the doghouse of Titans coach Jeff Fisher after he reported to camp overweight. He was waived July 31 and quickly signed with the Broncos, who have seen the best of Nash in his short stint with the club.

Nash has gained 72 rushing yards on 14 attempts in two preseason games, but between his knee injury, which he described as a "day to day" situation, and the fact the Broncos starters will play at least one half against Houston on Sunday, Nash will have fewer opportunities to keep pushing his way up the depth chart.

"I know I can be probably one of the top backs in the league if I put my mind to it," Nash said. "There is a place for everybody, and if Denver is the place for me, I'd be happy to be here."
    Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

I don't have a crystal ball, but I would feel comfortable betting that Nash makes it past the first cut.
    Even if Dayne has a tremendous game tomorrow night, I see all the current Running Backs sticking past Tuesday. It's too important a position on our team not to keep them all around as long as possible. For those who are Nash fans, it probably all depends on how his knee is doing and how Dayne's toe is healing. Injury could be the key to whether or not Nash makes the 53 man roster.

Comment

Jesus God when I saw Nash I about had a heart attach thinking some moron in the front office signed him to replace ashley. KNowing that it has been forever since we had 3 really good receivers they wanted to keep a streak going.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
        Jesus God when I saw Nash I about had a heart attach thinking some moron in the front office signed him to replace ashley. KNowing that it has been forever since we had 3 really good receivers they wanted to keep a streak going.

huh? i thought nash was a running back?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenBronx
          huh? i thought nash was a running back?
          Marcussed Nash the former first round DAFT choice.

Comment

Oh I thought we were talkin about Damien...

he's done pretty well so far in the preseason...I almost would prefer him to Dayne in some ways. It'll be interesting to see what Shanny thinks...
            Go Broncos, make me keep believing this year

Comment

I'm betting he makes past the first round of cuts, but Cedric Cobbs has really turned it on the past two games. I'd say he loses out to Cobbs when it's all said and done. Oh yeah....bye Ron Dayne. Thanks for the Turkey Day win last year.

Comment

I hope everyone makes the cut. I know that isn't possible, but I hope those who do catch on with another team.

Comment

My guess is also that they keep all the backs through this first cut. As, there is still a lot of evaluating going on. We are so damn deep, this can take time.

It, just amazes me that we are consitently deep. Even more so this year. I guess it's because hardly anyone has a run game like us. Why don't other's copy cat us, as that's the way this league works. We are at the top in running every year. Although, I would like to keep it this way. Because obviously there are backs for this system. If other's used the cut-block, one cut system, the backs for the system would be hard to find.

It's funny, that RB was a huge question mark before camp started. And, now still questions. But, it has to be the deepest I have ever seen at the position. Keep finding em Shanny. Love our running game! It's just too bad we can't keep em all. Maybe Kubs will want some of our scraps down in Houston? As, he is trying to turn the Texans into the Broncos twin!
                  sigpic

Comment

As it stands right now, I really hope we keep this guy.

I'd like to see M Bell, T Bell, D Nash, and C Cobbs kept.

Dayne and Miree can "hit the bricks".

Comment

Jesus had nothing to do with it. Besides all you had to do before jumping to conclusions was check it out.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                        As it stands right now, I really hope we keep this guy.

I'd like to see M Bell, T Bell, D Nash, and C Cobbs kept.

Dayne and Miree can "hit the bricks".
                        That's the way I it see unfolding right now.
                        Last edited by TXBRONC; 08-27-2006, 10:17 AM.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                          Jesus had nothing to do with it. Besides all you had to do before jumping to conclusions was check it out.

Out here in the real West Texas It is Jesus as IN "Hey Zeus" and the whole post was sarcasm.

Comment

Out here in the real West Texas It is Jesus as IN "Hey Zeus" and the whole post was sarcasm.

Its still is a misuse of His name JR and I don't care for it. It doesn't matter to me if it just meant as sarcasm or not.

Learn something about Texas geography before proclaiming what is and isn't "real".

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                              Its still is a misuse of His name JR and I don't care for it. It doesn't matter to me if it just meant as sarcasm or not.

Learn something about Texas geography before proclaiming what is and isn't "real".
                              I couldn't agree with you more. You may wish to speak freely. But, that is considered using his name in vain. Some wish not to see things like that. Let's just respect one another. Christian or not!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X