Two plays by our top QBs that bode well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two plays by our top QBs that bode well

Okay, it was a less than stellar night for our quarterbacks last night. That will happen; you can't have a 100+ passer rating every game.

But Jake and Jay both made a couple of plays that filled me with confidence as to how well they will both show poise in the pocket when called upon.

1) This has already been talked about but here it is again. Jake dropped back in the pocket and tried to plant his feet but slipped on the slick turf. He was all the way down but popped right back up and delivered a perfect strike to Rod Smith. That was a great play and showed some excellent poise.

2) Cutler dropped back to pass with our second string O-line quickly buckling on his blind-side. Cutler was looking downfield and I was sure he wouldn't see the pass rushers (one was untouched) coming up from behind. But he must have great peripheral vision because his head didn't turn in the slightest but he calmly jogged to his right leaving the pursuit in his wake. A third defender broke free but Cutler kept his eyes scanning the field for an open receiver and then while on the run he delivered a great touch pass to his tight end for 17 or 18 yards. He made this play seem casual but I think it was a very positive sign for a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I know that neither one of those plays was earth-shattering. But they filled me with confidence that both of our top two quarterbacks have very good poise in the pocket. I already knew that about Jake but it was good to have it verified. But coming from the rookie QB, I really liked this play backing up the hype about how he already plays like a vet.

Sorry if I'm blowing those two plays out of proportion, especially on a mediocre night offensively. But I believe it's the little things that will make or break a player's career. And I like what I've seen of the little things from our quarterbacks this preseason (sorry BVP!).
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Originally posted by Javalon
    Okay, it was a less than stellar night for our quarterbacks last night. That will happen; you can't have a 100+ passer rating every game.

But Jake and Jay both made a couple of plays that filled me with confidence as to how well they will both show poise in the pocket when called upon.

1) This has already been talked about but here it is again. Jake dropped back in the pocket and tried to plant his feet but slipped on the slick turf. He was all the way down but popped right back up and delivered a perfect strike to Rod Smith. That was a great play and showed some excellent poise.

2) Cutler dropped back to pass with our second string O-line quickly buckling on his blind-side. Cutler was looking downfield and I was sure he wouldn't see the pass rushers (one was untouched) coming up from behind. But he must have great peripheral vision because his head didn't turn in the slightest but he calmly jogged to his right leaving the pursuit in his wake. A third defender broke free but Cutler kept his eyes scanning the field for an open receiver and then while on the run he delivered a great touch pass to his tight end for 17 or 18 yards. He made this play seem casual but I think it was a very positive sign for a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I know that neither one of those plays was earth-shattering. But they filled me with confidence that both of our top two quarterbacks have very good poise in the pocket. I already knew that about Jake but it was good to have it verified. But coming from the rookie QB, I really liked this play backing up the hype about how he already plays like a vet.

Sorry if I'm blowing those two plays out of proportion, especially on a mediocre night offensively. But I believe it's the little things that will make or break a player's career. And I like what I've seen of the little things from our quarterbacks this preseason (sorry BVP!).
    The Plummer play was the only one I got to see, but it was a very good play. Sounds like the Cutler one was good too. Even though the night wasn't great for us offensively, it's always good to point out a few bright spots and these are defintely two of them. Good post.

By the way, was it just me, or was there a lot of slipping going on out there? Did it rain up in Denver recently or something?

Comment

I agree, both plays were great. Cutler looked very comfortable last night. I think I remember Sterling Sharpe saying that Jay seemed like he just woke up and decided to go play quarterback, something along those lines.

Definition of Raider Hater:
      A true football fan, not a band wagon rider, who will always root against the Raiders any time any day. A true Raider Hater can be most recognized by their intelligence and ability to stay out of jail and not riot after losing.

Comment

Yes, I agree. Those both were very good plays. Cutler's pocket presense and awareness has looked very good so far. You make a good point, as I thought the same thing when I saw that.
        sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

I agree, the play that Jake slipped on was awesome. Cutler made a 2 bad throws that were nearly picked, but he still hasn't officially tossed one to the D yet.

I'm a Cutler slut, he has calm eyes, blatant confidence, and is doing all sorts of 'good stuff'. I'm even impressed when he throws the ball away when he should.

I started doing sigs. Anyone want one, just ask, I'm more than happy to help out.

Comment

then theres one series from jake that hurts...the three plays he tried to force it to smith, three times in a row.....i watched each replay over and over, rod was covered, but from the snap jakes head never waivered off smith, eyes glued on and force it in there.......to me thats always been a jake weakness, if the plays for rod, by God rods gonna get the ball thrown at him ...open or not
            sigpic
            when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
              then theres one series from jake that hurts...the three plays he tried to force it to smith, three times in a row.....i watched each replay over and over, rod was covered, but from the snap jakes head never waivered off smith, eyes glued on and force it in there.......to me thats always been a jake weakness, if the plays for rod, by God rods gonna get the ball thrown at him ...open or not
              I agree...

Isn't it ironic that one of the hits on Cutler has been how he "stares down the receiver," yet Jake is notorious for it when he's under pressure (sometimes even when he isn't).

By the way...

Another play that doesn't show in the stats is Cutler's audible for the Cobbs TD run. That was his call at the line.

Clearly more proof that he understands more about the NFL game than some want to give him credit for.
              sigpic

Comment

I only have one thing to say.

:offtopic:

Comment

Originally posted by KyLewin
                  The Plummer play was the only one I got to see, but it was a very good play. Sounds like the Cutler one was good too. Even though the night wasn't great for us offensively, it's always good to point out a few bright spots and these are defintely two of them. Good post.
                  Yep, guys will have good nights and bad nights but it's still good to see how they handle a little adversity. And I thought both showed they had the poise to bounce right back (literally for Jake ) and keep their composure.

As for Cutler, he fumbled a snap early (and recovered it) and started off throwing way high kind of like Elway used to do (nobody have a hissy over that comparison, please). Could be just too much adrenaline early. But he didn't let that rattle him and settled down pretty well. And that very natural evasion of pressure was nice to see.

By the way, was it just me, or was there a lot of slipping going on out there? Did it rain up in Denver recently or something?
                  The announcers said it had rained on and off all week. But there was a lot more slipping than I expected. Mike Bell seemed to be having problems with his footing and making his cuts and I was wondering if he perhaps should have changed cleats.
                  ------

Comment

To arapaho and mntman,

Ah, wasn't the original post giving props to both QBs? Surly it can't be hard to keep the rest of the thread in mostly that same area.

Keep it nice, both QBs had good and bad last night. THIS thread was supposed to be about the good, there's no reason to get into another fight, there are already more than enough of those threads out there.

Anyway, does anyone know what the play was originally supposed to be for the Cobbs TD? If Cutler audibled away from a pass, that's damn impressive. If it was already a run and he simply called for a different one, well, it's still good, but not quite as impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                      I agree...

Isn't it ironic that one of the hits on Cutler has been how he "stares down the receiver," yet Jake is notorious for it when he's under pressure (sometimes even when he isn't).

By the way...

Another play that doesn't show in the stats is Cutler's audible for the Cobbs TD run. That was his call at the line.

Clearly more proof that he understands more about the NFL game than some want to give him credit for.
                      Okay, is it possible to try to refrain from turning this into yet another Jake vs. Jay battle?

Neither QB had a great game. But they both showed some moxie that is nice to see when faced with difficult situations. Both of them did some good things and some bad things. However, the poise is a positive I'm taking away from this game for both quarterbacks.
                      ------

Comment

Okay, is it possible to try to refrain from turning this into yet another Jake vs. Jay battle?

Neither QB had a great game. But they both showed some moxie that is nice to see when faced with difficult situations. Both of them did some good things and some bad things. However, the poise is a positive I'm taking away from this game for both quarterbacks.
                        you can lead a horse to water, but you can't...

Comment

Originally posted by KyLewin
                          To arapaho and mntman,

Ah, wasn't the original post giving props to both QBs? Surly it can't be hard to keep the rest of the thread in mostly that same area.

Keep it nice, both QBs had good and bad last night. THIS thread was supposed to be about the good, there's no reason to get into another fight, there are already more than enough of those threads out there.

Anyway, does anyone know what the play was originally supposed to be for the Cobbs TD? If Cutler audibled away from a pass, that's damn impressive. If it was already a run and he simply called for a different one, well, it's still good, but not quite as impressive.

way to get back on topic.

I too like the play from Jake when he slipped. His arm was on fire for the first couple of series. He had another pass later to Javon that was a bullet also. The thing it looked like the offense was trying to do was not bootleg since the Texans were almost certain to be ready for it. Nice to see Jake fire from the pocket.

On Jay, it was nice to see him recover from his disastrous first series. A fumbles snap ( second of the preseason ) and a near INT to Buchanan. Nice to see that he was able to recover and hit a few passes on the scoring drive.

jake started good and kind of fizzled, and Jay starte horrible, had a good middle series then went 3 and out. Not good on either QB, but they both did show some positive plays.

Comment

I only got to see the play by Jake but it was quite impressive! Thanks for looking at all facets of the game and not just focusing on the negative!!
                            Broncos! When it absolutely, positively has to be delivered by ground over night!

Officially Objectified by the GPA! I am moving Up!!!!

Comment

I agree that both are good and we are lucky to have probably the best 1:2 in the NFL.

And I think it is well established by now that mtn_man is addicted to bashing Jake and can't help himself. Maybe a 12 step program is in order?

This post brought to you by: The Little Red Hen.

Comment

Working...
                              X