No announcement yet.

who's your first choice to start at RB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who's your first choice to start at RB?

ok, i know there's a similar thread going, but i wanted to do one with a poll-- if you mod types want to merge the threads, it's fine with me. . . .

i'm voting for mike bell. . . i'll explain why, and i'd love to see explanations from others for their votes as well. . .

it's obviously a tough decision-- all three backs have shown something, but none of them has clearly elevated himself over the others. . . . i would agree that cobbs has probably had the best pre-season, but we haven't gotten to see him perform against a starting defense, and i have to believe that's because shanny is leaning more towards one of the bells as the starter. . .

now, a few words about tater-- i know that a lot of people want to see him get the nod, and i can completely understand why. . . to me, it has nothing to do with his draft status (doesn't mean jack at this point!), but it's undeniable that his speed is a powerful draw. . . i've heard a lot of people say "tater needs to start because he has much more big play potential than the others," and i fully understand that viewpoint. . . however, i think i'm one of the few who actually believes that tater can be MORE effective in a limited role-- he clearly isn't a typical back that needs a good number of carries to get into the flow of the game and wear down the D to be productive. . . with his speed and acceleration, he's instant offense, and i honestly think he may be more effective when kept fresh in a limited role. . . .

more so, in my mind tater still hasn't displayed the play-to-play consistency that you want from your starter-- he rips off big runs on one series, and then gets stuffed or misses a hole. . . this isn't bashing tater at all (i'm a tater supporter who has defended him against what i perceive to be unfair criticism), just an attempt to make an objective assesment-- i don't necessarily question his toughness as some do, but i think he lacks balance, which prevents him from breaking tackles and gaining yards after contact. . . i also think he needs to run with better body lean. . . . although i love him as a home run threat (he can score from anywhere), i just don't see him as a consistent chain mover, and eating up the clock and playing ball control football is a staple of our offense. . . not flashy or "exciting," but it's a proven system that gets the job done. . .

this is where mike bell comes in, IMO-- i think he hits the hole with the most authority of our backs, and wastes the least amount of time moving laterally. . . i also think he is the purest one-cut runner on the team, a north-south type of runner with the vision to find creases and exploit cutback lanes. . . he has very little wiggle and won't make many guys miss, but he's a decisive runner who gets his shoulders square and gets upfield in a hurry. . . he knows how to lower his shoulder and finish a run, and seems to fall forward for positive yardage. . . he isn't as flashy as tater, and won't make the same big plays, but i think he will gain positive yardage more consistently, and be better at wearing down the D and keeping drives alive. . . i do think cobbs can do some of these things as well, but to me mike just seems like the most natural and instinctive runner of the three. . . he's the slowest, and probably the least physically gifted overall, but i believe that his skill set most closely fits what we want in our top back. . .

with that said, i don't necessarily care who starts-- unlike some of the armchair QBs, i completely trust shanny and bobby t in this matter, and ultimately i like all of our backs, and want the guy to start who gives us the best chance to win. . . if mike or cobbs starts, i certainly want to see tater get his carries-- i love his speed too! but after watching the pre-season, i have a feeling that mike bell will be our starter against st. louis-- he's been on top of the depth chart since early in camp, and i think he's done enough to keep the spot. . . either way, i'm looking forward to another season of tough broncos running. . . . WOOT!!

let me know what you think. . . .

mike bell
    67.74%
    tatum bell
    17.74%
    cedric cobbs
    14.52%

The poll is expired.

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Ok, that's a long post, and Natalie kept distracting me, so I will come back and read it later.

I picked Tatum.

Based on what I have seen in the preseason games, I think any of the three can start and do a good job. However, Tatum just raises the stakes with his ability to score from anywhere on the field.

Mike and Cedric look good, but neither of them have Tatum's speed. Cobbs is faster than Mike, but not as fast as Tatum.

If Tatum doesn't start, then I think Mike Bell has to be given the chance. He had the best training camp and was moved to number one, and while Cobbs ran good every game, and Tatum had several good games, especially last night, neither of them did anything to leap frog Mike.

So, I say Tatum should be given the shot, because if he can carry the ball 20+ times a game, which I believe he can, then he brings a lot to the table with his speed. Then, use Mike Bell to give him a breather every once in a while (not whole series, but a few plays off) and short yardage and goal line work IF Tatum struggles.

While Cobbs has played well, the other two didn't faulter (a good thing), so therefore he is what in the NFL they refer to as 'depth'.

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November...
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

everybody says mike bell cant do it because hes a rookie. i totally disagree. if big ben can do it at QUARTERBACK. Mike bell can def do it at rb. tatum will not b able to get 20-30 carries a game. every now an then i would like to see tatum go in there and bust a couple big ones. but MIKE 4 STARTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bell NewTD
        everybody says mike bell cant do it because hes a rookie. i totally disagree. if big ben can do it at QUARTERBACK. Mike bell can def do it at rb. tatum will not b able to get 20-30 carries a game. every now an then i would like to see tatum go in there and bust a couple big ones. but MIKE 4 STARTER
        maybe a better comparison would be Ronnie brown or cadillac williams, two great RB's rather than a qb...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
          maybe a better comparison would be Ronnie brown or cadillac williams, two great RB's rather than a qb...
          lol i was mainly comparing the success. not the style of play bt w/e

Comment

Tatum Bell.

Look at his upside, speed, quickness and burst. I say we let him proove his 20 carries right here and right now against St. Louis. Let's see where he really stands, we can't say he can or cannot do something that he has not been given the chance to do. He doesn't call the plays. Let the coaches know you can be a 20+ carry guy. Show all of us, the doubters, the supporters, and the people who just want to see someone in a Broncos uniform running into the endzone with the pigskin. If the coaches like what they see, give him another shot and see if he can keep it up.

If he succeeds, we have one hell of a back. If he fails, then he can go back to a COP back and M Bell or Cobbs can get a chance to show what they can do. I'd be fine with any of the RBs after T Bell. I'm sure whoever the coaches deem the best can get 1,000 yards if they are healthy enough so I'll just go with them. Any points I can make about the backs have probably been hammered on 500+ times anyway, so you all get the drift.

That's my :2cents:
            sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
            Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

Mike Bell because, as far-fetched as this may sound, I believe Mike Shanahan knows his running-backs better than I do.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
              - Carl Sagan

Comment

Mike Bell. He has been solid and can find the cutback. Tatum runs into the back of his blockers too often - he doesn't show good enough vision nor patience. I like Cobbs though because he punishes people - always good to have a guy like that. But I think Mike Bell has earned the starting role.

Comment

While he didn't do all that much in games, I saw Mike Bell in camp before he was announced as #1. He was very impressive.

However, even in preseason games, the thing I liked about him was his 2-4 yard extra effort after getting hit.

I think with full-time play, he will shine.

One more thing...

Even though it was second and third teamers, Cobbs looked VERY good. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he got it instead. One thing to remember, he may have been running against second and third team defenses, but he had to do it behind second and third team blockers.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                    While he didn't do all that much in games, I saw Mike Bell in camp before he was announced as #1. He was very impressive.

However, even in preseason games, the thing I liked about him was his 2-4 yard extra effort after getting hit.

I think with full-time play, he will shine.

One more thing...

Even though it was second and third teamers, Cobbs looked VERY good. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he got it instead. One thing to remember, he may have been running against second and third team defenses, but he had to do it behind second and third team blockers.

you're right, and i would have no problem at all seeing cobbs get the nod-- he's obviously got some skills, and if the coaching staff thinks he's the best option, then so be it. . . he probably has the best mix of size and speed of any of out backs, and it would be pretty interesting to see what he could do behind the first string line. . .
                    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I'll be the "lone gunman" here and pick Cedric Cobbs. He's got great size and speed, and he doesn't go down after first contact. He got the size to pick up the tough yards, and he's got the speed to break the 60 yarders. He did great behind our scrub O-line, and he could do even better behind our starters. I still look for him to take over at some point this season. If Tatum could run with any power, I'd pick him in a heartbeat .
                      Last edited by PLUMMERFAN16; 09-01-2006, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                        The argument against what you just posted, that some of the guys on the board have been using with their claims that Cobbs is worthless is that while he was running behind the second and third team blockers, the Broncos second and third team O-line is better than most first team O-lines.

Some people will say or post anything to make their points seem valid.

I agree with you and Plummerfan and a couple others on Cobbs. I think he is intriguing and would love to see what he could do behind the starting line. I chose Tatum, with M. Bell next in line, because I think Tatum's performance from last year, along with a decent preseason, should be enough to see what he can do as the starter, and if that doesn't happen, then M. Bell was first on the depth chart, and didn't do anything to lose that spot.
                        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

It would not surprise me in the least if Cobbs is our 1,000-yard runner this year.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
                          - Carl Sagan

Comment

Just watched his M. Bell's long run in the 4th quarter. It highlighted the only thing that I am not crazy about and that is his 'catch me from behind' speed. He seems quick to the line, which is a GREAT asset, but once he gets into the secondary, he doesn't have breakaway speed.

On that long run, he got into the secondary, was momentarily slowed by someone trying to ankle tackle him, but was then caught from behind. It is obvious when you watch him run, he sort of has short, choppy strides and just doesn't cover ground very quickly.

However, I guess if he can consistantly get the 4-10 yard gains, and sometimes pop a 15-30 yarder, it doesn't matter too much if he doesn't have too many 50 yard TD runs.

sigpic

Comment

I say Mike Bell but add in Tatum like we did last year and add Cobs to the mix at the end to wind the clock down.

Comment

Working...
                              X