Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darrent a cornerback with an attitude...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darrent a cornerback with an attitude...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15464812.htm

Williams aims to elevate game
    By Frank Schwab

The Gazette

(MCT)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Darrent Williams wants to be the Denver Broncos' best cornerback.

Not when six-time Pro Bowl player Champ Bailey retires. Right now.

"Ever since high school I've always been the guy on my team," Williams said. "Now, Champ is the guy. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to be the guy. I'm trying to elevate my game.

"Champ's got a few years on me so hopefully when I get to where he's at in his career, you'll be saying to a young corner, `You got D-Will on the other side, you can't be the No.1 guy.'"

Williams was one of Denver's best players in training camp, and he let people know it. He routinely made highlight plays, and once after knocking a deep pass away during a team drill he yelled across the field at quarterback Jake Plummer to let him know he needed to make a perfect pass to beat him.

"He's a confident kid," linebacker Al Wilson said.

Williams said he started to feel comfortable in the NFL late last year, right before he hurt his groin Dec.11 against Baltimore. He was injured covering the opening kickoff and missed the final three regular-season games. He said he is healthy and ready to take another step this year.

"I'm not a guy that just wants to be out there and be a starter so I'm good," Williams said. "I want to be out there shutting people down."

Williams' confidence will be tested. Many opposing teams will look to one side, see Bailey and decide their best chance is against Williams. If the Broncos move Bailey around this week at St. Louis to match up with Torry Holt, Williams will cover veteran Isaac Bruce or speedy Kevin Curtis.

"He'll get a lot of work being opposite Champ," Wilson said. "It's one of those things where he needs to be confident and we need to back him up as well."

Williams said he is ready. He was a second-round pick last year, and although the Broncos figured he would be a punt and kickoff returner as a rookie, he was talented enough to start at cornerback.

He had the physical skills to play right away, and this year he has made strides in the mental side of the game. He watched extra tape and simply by getting more repetitions in practice, he started figuring out how offenses were trying to attack him.

"I feel with my athletic ability, if I can get that part of the game down, then I can be on a level with Champ," Williams said.

Williams said he thinks he and Bailey can be the best cornerback duo in the NFL, as long as he is consistent this year. But he wants to be more than a sidekick.

"I play alongside Champ Bailey, and I don't want to just be the guy on the other side," Williams said. "I want to make a name for myself."

[COLOR=Yellow]When I was watching Darrent in training camp, I saw that he took it very personal when someone caught a pass on his side of the field. He especially took it hard when Javon Walker or Rod caught a pass when he was defending them.
    Now he did not get burned very much but when he did he would clap his hands together and act digusted with himself. What an attitude but I like it, he is a real competitor and wants to be the best.

In this article he knows that Champ at this time is the best but he also wants to be known as one of the best also. This is perfect with the attitude that he displayed at training camp.

His speed is something that will really help him. If you have the speed of Darrent you can get burned and still recover. It will also help him with interceptions. Champ is fast but Darrent is a burner. Darrent could really be good and the best thing is that he wants to be the best even if Champ is on the team.

We have the potential in a few years to have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. With Champ, Darrent and Foxy we could have the most feared cornerbacks in the league. Foxy has already shown he can make interceptions so it is Darrents turn now.

Darrent I look at as a complete corner much like Champ. He is a punishing tackler, and really wraps up well. He needs to work a little on his blitzing off the corner but I am sure that will come with time. He defends well, but I really don't know how well he is with interceptions because he really has not shown a lot of ability with that.

Here's to Darrent Williams and getting at least 5 interceptions this year.
    [/COLOR]
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Originally posted by broncos4ever
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15464812.htm

Williams aims to elevate game
    By Frank Schwab

The Gazette

(MCT)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Darrent Williams wants to be the Denver Broncos' best cornerback.

Not when six-time Pro Bowl player Champ Bailey retires. Right now.

"Ever since high school I've always been the guy on my team," Williams said. "Now, Champ is the guy. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to be the guy. I'm trying to elevate my game.

"Champ's got a few years on me so hopefully when I get to where he's at in his career, you'll be saying to a young corner, `You got D-Will on the other side, you can't be the No.1 guy.'"

Williams was one of Denver's best players in training camp, and he let people know it. He routinely made highlight plays, and once after knocking a deep pass away during a team drill he yelled across the field at quarterback Jake Plummer to let him know he needed to make a perfect pass to beat him.

"He's a confident kid," linebacker Al Wilson said.

Williams said he started to feel comfortable in the NFL late last year, right before he hurt his groin Dec.11 against Baltimore. He was injured covering the opening kickoff and missed the final three regular-season games. He said he is healthy and ready to take another step this year.

"I'm not a guy that just wants to be out there and be a starter so I'm good," Williams said. "I want to be out there shutting people down."

Williams' confidence will be tested. Many opposing teams will look to one side, see Bailey and decide their best chance is against Williams. If the Broncos move Bailey around this week at St. Louis to match up with Torry Holt, Williams will cover veteran Isaac Bruce or speedy Kevin Curtis.

"He'll get a lot of work being opposite Champ," Wilson said. "It's one of those things where he needs to be confident and we need to back him up as well."

Williams said he is ready. He was a second-round pick last year, and although the Broncos figured he would be a punt and kickoff returner as a rookie, he was talented enough to start at cornerback.

He had the physical skills to play right away, and this year he has made strides in the mental side of the game. He watched extra tape and simply by getting more repetitions in practice, he started figuring out how offenses were trying to attack him.

"I feel with my athletic ability, if I can get that part of the game down, then I can be on a level with Champ," Williams said.

Williams said he thinks he and Bailey can be the best cornerback duo in the NFL, as long as he is consistent this year. But he wants to be more than a sidekick.

"I play alongside Champ Bailey, and I don't want to just be the guy on the other side," Williams said. "I want to make a name for myself."

When I was watching Darrent in training camp, I saw that he took it very personal when someone caught a pass on his side of the field. He especially took it hard when Javon Walker or Rod caught a pass when he was defending them.
    Now he did not get burned very much but when he did he would clap his hands together and act digusted with himself. What an attitude but I like it, he is a real competitor and wants to be the best.

In this article he knows that Champ at this time is the best but he also wants to be known as one of the best also. This is perfect with the attitude that he displayed at training camp.

His speed is something that will really help him. If you have the speed of Darrent you can get burned and still recover. It will also help him with interceptions. Champ is fast but Darrent is a burner. Darrent could really be good and the best thing is that he wants to be the best even if Champ is on the team.

We have the potential in a few years to have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. With Champ, Darrent and Foxy we could have the most feared cornerbacks in the league. Foxy has already shown he can make interceptions so it is Darrents turn now.

Darrent I look at as a complete corner much like Champ. He is a punishing tackler, and really wraps up well. He needs to work a little on his blitzing off the corner but I am sure that will come with time. He defends well, but I really don't know how well he is with interceptions because he really has not shown a lot of ability with that.

Here's to Darrent Williams and getting at least 5 interceptions this year.

Good post bears repeating.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
      Good post bears repeating.
      Darrent is very good in pass coverage. But he needs to work more on tackling better for getting to champ's level.

Comment

Man I love this kid's swagger. I hope he can continue showing what he's got on the field this year.
        The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by rush_limbaughII
          Darrent is very good in pass coverage. But he needs to work more on tackling better for getting to champ's level.
          darrent is actually a very physical tackler for a small guy

Comment

It won't matter how good our personnel in the secondary is, unless they actually start challenging the WRs and stop playing 10 yards off their man. D-Will was way off his man against Houston on 3rd and 1, and all the WR did was run a short curl route for the conversion. Our guys just don't play tough man D.....

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMMERFAN16
              It won't matter how good our personnel in the secondary is, unless they actually start challenging the WRs and stop playing 10 yards off their man. D-Will was way off his man against Houston on 3rd and 1, and all the WR did was run a short curl route for the conversion. Our guys just don't play tough man D.....
              Well, we do play them off a bit too much.

Often when we play them off like that, they are able to come back to the ball and to make the play for no gain or to read the QB, so it works a good portion of the time, but in third and short like against Houston it didn't make sense and also sometimes I think they just play too far off, but Darrent IS small, so it also makes sense to not have him at the line jamming the recievers as much as it does to rely on his quickness to come back to the ball when the throw is underneath.

Denver already had a fantastic pass defense last year and I actually think that we were very good most of the time in man D and that we struggled quite a bit more in zone D.

It will also be nice to see our corners getting a bit more safety help this year.
              My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
              . Post Your Artwork .
              . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

No we wont be good on defense at all until we get rid of Coyer or he completely changes the way he does things, which he has said the last 3 seasons he was going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
                  No we wont be good on defense at all until we get rid of Coyer or he completely changes the way he does things, which he has said the last 3 seasons he was going to do.
                  Agreed. Get rid of him already.

Comment

Thank Coyer for that. I still firmly believe that the cause of our defensive problems start with him.

Comment

Originally posted by RBDynasty
                      Thank Coyer for that. I still firmly believe that the cause of our defensive problems start with him.
                      He is the cause of our defensive problems. He wants to blitz all the damn time and simplify the reads for the opposing QBs, when if you watch the AFCCG, when didn't blitz and dropped more guys into coverage the Steelers did nothing against us. Why couldn't Coyer adjust his D when he saw we were constantly getting roasted? He's just not a good D-coordinator. Hell, didn't our players start losing faith in him last year and his defensive style? I think I recall something along those lines.....anyone??

Comment

He is the cause of our defensive problems. He wants to blitz all the damn time and simplify the reads for the opposing QBs, when if you watch the AFCCG, when didn't blitz and dropped more guys into coverage the Steelers did nothing against us. Why couldn't Coyer adjust his D when he saw we were constantly getting roasted? He's just not a good D-coordinator. Hell, didn't our players start losing faith in him last year and his defensive style? I think I recall something along those lines.....anyone??
                        Yeah.. they called him out and it was an emotional train wreck.

In some fairness though, we had zero passrush last year from our line so all Coyer could do was have our LBs and DBs blitz to get something going. If our line doesn't improve in that department this year, it's going to be a long season.

Comment

In some fairness though, we had zero passrush last year from our line so all Coyer could do was have our LBs and DBs blitz to get something going. If our line doesn't improve in that department this year, it's going to be a long season.
                          Well, according to Trevor Pryce they weren't really asked to really go after the QB. This year, SUPPOSEDLY, our front four will be "set free" and asked to really get after the QB. The first game against Detroit, looked like vintage Coyer CRAP, but the rest of the preseason it seemed like we did rely more on our front four and had a decent pass rush without Warren and Brown. So it looks like things have changed, but I guess we won't know until Sunday. The Rams have a statue behind center, so this will be a good early test of how our new scheme is gonna pan out.

If our D underacheives agains this year, then I think Mike needs to reevaluate Coyer and his style of D. We have some great players on defense, and for us to not be a dominating defense ON THE FIELD(I don't care what the stats say)when we need them the most due to Coyer's ineffective gameplanning is a shame. You never want your player's calling out their coaches, but you can definitely see why they did last year. Larry Coyer....you are officially on the hot seat. Or in any case, you SHOULD be.......

Comment

Originally posted by jhns
                            The clock is ticking in everyone ear except Mikey's, unfortunately that us the one that counts.

Comment

I have been saying that since the AFFCG game, was hoping they would finally see the light and DRAFT a biggie speed DE or a difference maker at DL.

Even though we have some great talent on the DL, someone is gonna have to make a plan to use them.

Mikey likes big fast LB's. Mikey's only real consistent success in DAFTING has been at LB.

Coyer is a former LB and LB coach has been forever. Get the connection now?

Who is gonna let the dogs out?

Comment

Working...
                              X