Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darrent a cornerback with an attitude...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 24SuperChamp
    I think Darrent has the athletic ability and the confidence to be a great corner, the only thing that concerns me is how he carries himself off of the field. IMO it looks as if his image and mannerisms are that of a west coast/east coast ganster. As long as this does not play a role in his gameplay then I guess he can be like the rest of the players in the league who carry themselves this way. I just hope we dont see him in the near future violating the leagues substance abuse policy. If it does happen, dont let me be the first to say I told you so.
    Good post! I can't wait to see how much better the DBs are this season with a full season of play for our two previous rookies and a healthy Champ. I suspect we might start seeing some more secondary-forced sacks as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
      You know the adage, "A leopard cannot change his spots." Coyer is Coyer, no matter
      what he says he is going to do.

I may be the Resident Optimist on this board, but if we don't get a better pass rush,
      I'd almost be willing to bet the house that we will not participate in the Super Bowl.

We may not even make the playoffs . . .

-----
      I couldnt agree more.

If we could somehow get some very good pressure this year by the front 4, then we have a shot a superbowl. But.......

I hate to say it......... the steelers D looked impressive last night, (particularly in the 2nd half) There are 5 or 6 legitimate contenders in the AFC for the SB this year.
      sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Back on topic.

I am expecting some very good things from my man D-Will this year .

BTW Although small, He is a very good tackler.
        sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarJ
          I couldnt agree more.

If we could somehow get some very good pressure this year by the front 4, then we have a shot a superbowl. But.......

I hate to say it......... the steelers D looked impressive last night, (particularly in the 2nd half) There are 5 or 6 legitimate contenders in the AFC for the SB this year.

Impressive? I would say it looked O.K. I'll give credit where credit is due but Culppepper made a bad read when throwing that ball across the middle when Porter intercepted it and took it to the house. That play pretty much sealed the fate of the fins. I still question the Steeler offense and I am not completely sold on Roethlisberger. IM sure if we meet the Steelers again, Shanny will have an answer for their zone blitzing scheme that picked us apart in the AFC Championship game.
          sigpic

Comment

Great article and some good discussion going on in here, I'll chime in on several aspects of what's been said in this thread. Feel free to respond!

First of all, if the Broncos want to get to the Super Bowl. . . their pass rush has got to improve. It's abysmal that we have to continously blitz safeties and linebackers just to get pressure. Good defenses (in respects to the pass rush) do not have to do this. This is one reason our corners get the shaft a lot of the time is because if they blitz the safeties to create pressure, where's the safety help? It's not. This leaves the corners by their lonesome, not a very good idea.

I'm totally with my bud JRWIZ that we've been "DAFT" in the "DRAFT" when it comes to the defensive line. Also, free agency. Denver had their chance to get John Abraham, but didn't. (If we would have got Abraham, it's unlikely with the trades that happened along the way that Walker and Cutler would have been possible.) Andre Carter, whose father played for the Broncos and who the Broncos loved coming out was in Denver, but he left Denver by accepting an offer with the Redskins. I'm excited with Denver drafting Elvis Dumervil, it's a start in the right direction. I don't care about how short he is, this kid (regardless of college competition) showed he could get to the ball, make big plays and cause havoc in the backfield. He's not going to put up college numbers in the pros, but he's going to make an impact for the Broncos in the future, maybe even a gentle one this year.

The Broncos had their chances at keeping Reggie Hayward, but decided to throw money at Ian Gold instead. Hayward got 10 million up front, and not spread along the years of his time in Jacksonville, so it was going to be hard to match. . . but we gave Ian 8 million, and I think that Hayward's contributions to the team in the long run would have been better than Ian's. (I think Ian's a great player, but at the time, did we really need another stud linebacker? Had we just kept Wilson and DJ. . . we'd of still been solid. . . Denver has usually had no problems getting linebackers in the past anyways, (besides Pierce) so. . . I'm fumin' about that move still)

Lucky enough for us, there are some good players coming out of the draft this year at the defensive end and tackle positions. It's time Denver stops ignoring that need, because whether people want to believe it or not, if we had just one stud on the defensive line, it'd probably make a difference between winning and losing a few games. Having a guy who can consistently rush the passer just doesn't equate to sacks, it equates to having better perfomance and play from the secondary. It's a fact, and would definitely be one here as well.

As far as Darrent Williams go, that's fantastic. I think the reason the kid is starting over Foxworth is not because he's a better player, (I think they're pretty much on par, each better than the other in some respects) but his playmaking ability. Foxworth seems and plays more conservative, and Darrent. . . much like his mentor the Champ, is very aggressive and has the knack for making the big play. (Raiders game ring a bell?)

I hate to bring this up, but it's going to be damn hard in the next few years for the Broncos to keep Foxworth, Darrent and Champ. Champ's probably going to retire a Bronco, but the belief that we'll be able to keep Darrent and Foxy on the team together is probably not going to happen. Foxworth's contract is up not this coming off-season, but the next. He'll get starter money, corners get paid huge on the market. He probably won't want to be a nickel corner forever, so he'll probably go to a place where he can challenge for a #1 or #2 position. I'm more than certain Darrent wouldn't want to be a #3 somewhere either.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll find a way to keep all three, but I doubt it. One thing that may show some promise in the Broncos keeping all three would be the fact that Champ in the next few years will be reachin' 30 years old. There are still some very good corners playing past that age, but I'd probably expect a trail off in terms of production in Champ in the next few years. Just my belief.

I'm rantin' now, and I think I've said all I can really say in here. . . I'll wait until somebody responds and come back. Other threads need my help! C-ya. . .

Comment

I did not care if we got a d-lineman in this draft. At the end of this season in the 2007 draft I think we should use our first 2 picks on a DE and Safety though. It would be nice to get a stud DE. I do not think we need a DT. If you are looking for more depth then any free agent can come in and play 4. I think our top 3 that we have now are good enough for us. It would be awsome to get the DE out of Nebraska, Adam Carriker, since I watch him play all the time. He is really a stud and has perfect size and speed for the NFL. He will also most likely be a late first rounder so we should be able to get him. Moore who plays on the other side of him would also be really nice to get if we don't get a first round DE, but by those later rounds I am sure there will be some others like him out there. I don't really follow a ton of college outside of Nebraska and who they play because there are just way to many teams to do that, so I have no clue who all is comming out.
              Last edited by jhns; 09-08-2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                We have the potential in a few years to have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. With Champ, Darrent and Foxy we could have the most feared cornerbacks in the league. Foxy has already shown he can make interceptions so it is Darrents turn now.

Darrent I look at as a complete corner much like Champ. He is a punishing tackler, and really wraps up well. He needs to work a little on his blitzing off the corner but I am sure that will come with time. He defends well, but I really don't know how well he is with interceptions because he really has not shown a lot of ability with that.

Here's to Darrent Williams and getting at least 5 interceptions this year. [/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]
                This sort of confused me here. Didn't they have an equal amount of picks last year? And didn't DWill take one to the house Champ style against the Faiders?
                "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

this team has lacked attitude for a while. with the addition of javon with attitude on offense and darrent on defense and the attitude he is bringing it should be just what this team needs.

i love to see attitude in a corner. you either have to be all world like champ or have attitude to be great.

Comment

I agree that our pass rush is the major concern right now. From what I've seen in the preseason, however, Dumervil and Lang may just be the guys who help to scratch that itch. Those guys can rush the passer!

Please Larry C, drop the leash and let those dogs hunt! It's QB season and this week it's the Bulger variety!

Comment

Get 'em kid!
                      sigpic

Comment

I hope D-Will does good this season.
                        Manning to Thomas ev'ry day, all day.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                          http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/15464812.htm

Williams aims to elevate game
                          By Frank Schwab

The Gazette

(MCT)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Darrent Williams wants to be the Denver Broncos' best cornerback.

Not when six-time Pro Bowl player Champ Bailey retires. Right now.

"Ever since high school I've always been the guy on my team," Williams said. "Now, Champ is the guy. But that doesn't mean I'm not trying to be the guy. I'm trying to elevate my game.

"Champ's got a few years on me so hopefully when I get to where he's at in his career, you'll be saying to a young corner, `You got D-Will on the other side, you can't be the No.1 guy.'"

Williams was one of Denver's best players in training camp, and he let people know it. He routinely made highlight plays, and once after knocking a deep pass away during a team drill he yelled across the field at quarterback Jake Plummer to let him know he needed to make a perfect pass to beat him.

"He's a confident kid," linebacker Al Wilson said.

Williams said he started to feel comfortable in the NFL late last year, right before he hurt his groin Dec.11 against Baltimore. He was injured covering the opening kickoff and missed the final three regular-season games. He said he is healthy and ready to take another step this year.

"I'm not a guy that just wants to be out there and be a starter so I'm good," Williams said. "I want to be out there shutting people down."

Williams' confidence will be tested. Many opposing teams will look to one side, see Bailey and decide their best chance is against Williams. If the Broncos move Bailey around this week at St. Louis to match up with Torry Holt, Williams will cover veteran Isaac Bruce or speedy Kevin Curtis.

"He'll get a lot of work being opposite Champ," Wilson said. "It's one of those things where he needs to be confident and we need to back him up as well."

Williams said he is ready. He was a second-round pick last year, and although the Broncos figured he would be a punt and kickoff returner as a rookie, he was talented enough to start at cornerback.

He had the physical skills to play right away, and this year he has made strides in the mental side of the game. He watched extra tape and simply by getting more repetitions in practice, he started figuring out how offenses were trying to attack him.

"I feel with my athletic ability, if I can get that part of the game down, then I can be on a level with Champ," Williams said.

Williams said he thinks he and Bailey can be the best cornerback duo in the NFL, as long as he is consistent this year. But he wants to be more than a sidekick.

"I play alongside Champ Bailey, and I don't want to just be the guy on the other side," Williams said. "I want to make a name for myself."

[COLOR=Yellow]When I was watching Darrent in training camp, I saw that he took it very personal when someone caught a pass on his side of the field. He especially took it hard when Javon Walker or Rod caught a pass when he was defending them.
                          Now he did not get burned very much but when he did he would clap his hands together and act digusted with himself. What an attitude but I like it, he is a real competitor and wants to be the best.

In this article he knows that Champ at this time is the best but he also wants to be known as one of the best also. This is perfect with the attitude that he displayed at training camp.

His speed is something that will really help him. If you have the speed of Darrent you can get burned and still recover. It will also help him with interceptions. Champ is fast but Darrent is a burner. Darrent could really be good and the best thing is that he wants to be the best even if Champ is on the team.

We have the potential in a few years to have the best cornerback tandem in the NFL. With Champ, Darrent and Foxy we could have the most feared cornerbacks in the league. Foxy has already shown he can make interceptions so it is Darrents turn now.

Darrent I look at as a complete corner much like Champ. He is a punishing tackler, and really wraps up well. He needs to work a little on his blitzing off the corner but I am sure that will come with time. He defends well, but I really don't know how well he is with interceptions because he really has not shown a lot of ability with that.

Here's to Darrent Williams and getting at least 5 interceptions this year.
                          [/COLOR]
                          Great read B4E! I do like D Will's athleticism and competive nature.

Btw Foxworth and D Will both had two ints a piece last seaons.. Here to an even more productive year from these two. :dance:
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                          X