Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Smith's Carrer is over this year or next year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
    They only have to bump and run him and it's over?

Where is your evidence for this? :paper:

It seemed like it wasn't over when he went to the PRO-BOWL last year. :hammer:
    Really, if it was so damn easy to shut him down, why oh why would corners ever play off the LOS?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how badly Rod gets owned on Sunday, but my instincts tell me that he'll at least be able to put up a few catches for like...23 yards.

/sarcasm off

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
      Really, if it was so damn easy to shut him down, why oh why would corners ever play off the LOS?

I guess we'll have to wait and see how badly Rod gets owned on Sunday, but my instincts tell me that he'll at least be able to put up a few catches for like...23 yards.

/sarcasm off
      23yds 1TD and 4 catches for 1st downs.

Not dogging on you WABronco, I get your sarcasm. Just miffed that people think of Rod as too old to play.
      Dennis Smith, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis and Rod Smith all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL
        Im going to get flamed for this. I love Rod i truly do. But the mas not going to be succesful in either this season or the next. He cant get any seperation from CB's anymore. they only have to bump and Run him and its over. Thats why it was stupid to let Ashley Go...

Hmm. I think most of what I was going to say has already been said. So, I'll just say this:

It's surely possible that Rod retires after this season. But considering his talent, his work ethic, and his desire to keep playing this game, I won't be surprised if he plays, and plays well, for another 3 or 4 years.

Some might think I'm crazy for saying this but I see Rod as being only a slightly lesser version of Jerry Rice, except that Rod had to work his way up. Rice had the edge in pure physical ability but they both shared that desire to excel, their intense work ethic, and their love of the game.

My point being that if Rice could play effectively till 40 years old. I think Rod could do it till at least 38 years old. And I think his love for the game will keep him playing even if he slips to the #2 or eventually #3 role (in a couple years), but even then he'll still probably be a good contributor.

On a side note, how was it "stupid" to let Ashley go? He had vowed to not play for us again. The Broncos made the best of a bad situation that Ashley caused.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Im going to get flamed for this. I love Rod i truly do. But the mas not going to be succesful in either this season or the next. He cant get any seperation from CB's anymore. they only have to bump and Run him and its over. Thats why it was stupid to let Ashley Go...
          Rod is one of the best route runners in the league right now. He might not be able to get the separation he once was able to but he is still pretty damn effective. He's got a few more years to him at the very least.
          The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Last year the old guy did pretty well even when Defenses knew Plummer was going to throw to him! Who else other than Rod and Jeb was catching anything last year? Ashley sure wasn't stepping up much to help out.

And you think Denver just "let Ashley go"? The guy wanted to be the #1 reciever, but could not compete with the old guy for the job!

He was begging to leave and threatened to hold out if he didn't! :brick:

Bringing Javon to Denver probably added another 2 years to Rod's career. Sorry to disapoint... wait, no I'm not.

Comment

Rod might slow down some, but I think he has 200/2000 left in his career.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

ok dude all i did was read the title and i was like "WTF!!!" jk

i will hang my head when that day comes and raise again after i remember what a classy, and great WR he was.

"Little Pads. Big Hits. Huge heart." - tnedator

This play is the reason I'm a DENVER BRONCOS fan

Comment

First thing Dude step away from the bong Rods career is over when he says so not you :hammer: Second thing you think Ashley is better than Rod better check you numbers the only thing he can do better than Rod is cry like a 3 year old and he is faster but thats it.
                  Broncos fan since 1975

R.I.P. Darrent Williams you will surely be missed

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceOfClub
                    Same guy that gave us other classics such as:

• Javon Walker running off at the mouth already!
                    • Champ Bailey's season last year was a fluke
                    • Tatum Bell is lookin like Charmin out there!
                    • IF yakll didnt know about Tyler Everett yall will in the Pre-Season!

And Many more.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/sear...earchid=817801

he's nothing but a TROLL to the max. . . . . .

get off of our board with that crap!!

:nono:
                    Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I'm beginning to think you like flaming.........

Comment

Duuuuude if people were corn you would be a plankton

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava
                          I stated this earlier in the year. I didnt go as far as to say his career is over, he is still a very smart receiver, but he does struggle with bump and run. Cb's usually dont bump and run though, so he will still be in his 70-80 catch range.

I agree though ashley is more talented, but rod is still good at working the possession game.
                          Talent doesn't mean squat when you don't have the intensity and work ethic to match. Rod Smith has come to work every day expecting to be cut. He pushes himself harder than any player I have ever watched. He's a complete professional. He will do whatever it takes, including playing with stress fractures in both legs, to give his team the best chance to win. Ashley Lelie's name doesn't even belong in the same paragraph as Rod Smith's.
                          Proud Bronco fan since 1975. I just wish every football player out there today was more like my man Rod Smith. Knowing we will never see him on the field again is very hard. He gave everything he had and left his guts on the field. I will miss him.

Comment

Well you are wrong at everything except the part where he will retire soon. He said it himself, "I'm not going to coach at 42". Besides he knows the Broncos is in good hands. I hope this season will be great.
                            XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

Hmm. I think most of what I was going to say has already been said. So, I'll just say this:

It's surely possible that Rod retires after this season. But considering his talent, his work ethic, and his desire to keep playing this game, I won't be surprised if he plays, and plays well, for another 3 or 4 years.

Some might think I'm crazy for saying this but I see Rod as being only a slightly lesser version of Jerry Rice, except that Rod had to work his way up. Rice had the edge in pure physical ability but they both shared that desire to excel, their intense work ethic, and their love of the game.

My point being that if Rice could play effectively till 40 years old. I think Rod could do it till at least 38 years old. And I think his love for the game will keep him playing even if he slips to the #2 or eventually #3 role (in a couple years), but even then he'll still probably be a good contributor.

On a side note, how was it "stupid" to let Ashley go? He had vowed to not play for us again. The Broncos made the best of a bad situation that Ashley caused.
                              on another side note, i agree with your assessment of rod smith a slightly lesser version of jerry rice. Hopefully now you understand a little bit how i was comparing jake plummer to john elway, a slightly lesser version. It was pretty much in the same view.
                              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by AWT
                                Seperation can be made lots of ways besides speed. Rod is smart, and he is still in shape. He can go over, under and around most corners.

He makes his catches each week because people don't respect his ability to make things happen.

You can't base anything on his age, or his speed. He has never been that fast, he just knows where to be and when.

Rod will play until he decides to retire, he is just that good.
                                Ya i completely agree, hey he's my fav bronco!!!!!!! (thats why i drafted him) And i hope Rod plays until he cant anymore. But my nightmare would be that he prolongs his carreer to the extent of Jerry Rice. At that point even i will say please retire. Dont destroy your legacy by overstaying your playing span. But hey i see that as 2 yrs min away mebe even 4, so heres to watching Rod have another spectacular season. If anything i think Rod will be better. Last year he was our only threat really, wasnt like lelie was going to catch it up the middle. Now teams will see Javon in action and worry more about him and leave Rod in man coverage, boom! easy target for plummer. so heres to having TWO recievers in the Pro Bowl!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X