Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rod Smith's Carrer is over this year or next year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is a reason we got rid of Ashley, and there is a reason that Ashley didn't want to be here. He COULDN'T beat out Rod Smith. Rod may be old, but he's still one of the best in the league. Sterling Sharpe called him the best pure reciever in the leauge during the Pre-season game against the Texans. Rod Smith will be gone when he can't play anymore, and with his work ethic, he'll be able to play for at least 2 more years. This thread makes me sick. Ashley Lelie sucks, and you'll see that when he gets nothing being a 3rd reciever over in Atlanta.

Comment

To the OP this doesnt surprise me coming from you. You seem to pull some BS stuff about every 2 weeks or so.

Champ Baily Season a fluke etc etc.

Whats that saying: Im all for keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of morons, lets start with computers! (I think orginally it was typewriters ;p)

First it was best team not to make the Play Offs. Then it was best team not to win a play off game. This year its best team to go 8-8.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava
        on another side note, i agree with your assessment of rod smith a slightly lesser version of jerry rice. Hopefully now you understand a little bit how i was comparing jake plummer to john elway, a slightly lesser version. It was pretty much in the same view.
        Touché. But the difference is that I see Jake as a much lesser version of Elway. Well, actually I don't see him as any version of Elway because their games were not that similar.

But let's not go there because I like Jake and don't want to start arguing against him. Go Jake and GOOO BRONCOS!
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I don't think Rod Smith's career will be over for the reasons the original poster stated, but for the fact that what else does he have to prove? Age is also a factor. Sure, he's been playing at a very high level for the past decade, but like all great players, old age catches up to most of them. Rod's a great player, a Bronco legend, but all players have to end their careers sooner or later. I love Rod to pieces, but nothing is hurting our ability to develop receivers adequately more than the fact that Rod is still playing as a #1 on this team.

I'd love to see Rod play on this team for a few more years, but I think he'd best be fit as a #3 receiver. Now, I'm not for demoting Rod until somebody beats him out, but it's damn hard to develop receivers and get the production most expect from the youngsters when they're bogged down on the depth chart. Denver's not a passing team, so it's not likely for any #2 or #3 receiver to emerge as huge threats given the current situation.

After Rod retires, their will be some serious holes at the position. I think Rod leaving the team will be a transition very similar to what we encountered after Elway left. He meant that much to the team. Not just in terms of production, but locker room presence, leadership, work ethic. That's one reason I want him to stay involved with the Broncos, (perhaps coaching receivers) in the future after retirement.

It'll be sad day, almost on the level of John Elway's. . . when he retires. But it's almost time for a change, and sometimes change is good. The way I see it now, Denver is very ill-prepared for Rod's departure. If you don't believe me, just look at the past draft and off-season moves we've made.

Landed Javon Walker, drafted Brandon Marshall and Domenik Hixon. That's three receivers that were brought in to help the team, but in another dimension, load us up and prepare us, (at least attempt to) for Rod's departure. Walker is a viable option, whether or not Marshall, Hixon, Kircus are is another question. Denver's receiving corps is high with potetial, but as far as being "good" like many want to believe on this board, it's simply not the case.

Why do you think Denver brought in high-profile draft prospects like Holmes and Jackson?

Why do you think that Denver did all they could do to retain Lelie?

Why do you think that Denver has interset in Deion Branch?

The simple answer, and it is the answer to this question. . . we're not as comfortable with the receiving corps as you think.

Beyond Walker and Smith, who is proven on this roster? Nobody. Sure, Adams and Devoe have got reps in the past, but not enough to merit them being solid targets on the field. Not in the least.

Of course, I leave Scheffler out of all this, but the kid is definitely a gamer and he will add a new dimension to our passing game, but even with Rod retires, if all goes well with Scheffler, we're back to two threats. . . and that's assuming Walker proves healthy and lives up to expecations as well.

Comment

Why do you think Denver brought in high-profile draft prospects like Holmes and Jackson?
            Because we had been unable to secure the services of a #2 receiver.

Why do you think that Denver did all they could do to retain Lelie?
            Denver wasn't desperate to keep Lelie. They rarely even talked with the disgruntled receiver. Denver had the position of: If he shows up, great. Else, we'll be just fine. Denver waited to unload him to get appropriate value and to make a statement to the rest of the team that not everyone gets Clinton Portis treatment when they complain.

Why do you think that Denver has interset in Deion Branch?
            Shanahan praised Branch's abilities, and Branch said he'd like to play for an organization like Denver. But Denver never once showed any interest in obtaining another high-priced receiver.

Try again.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

I stated this earlier in the year. I didnt go as far as to say his career is over, he is still a very smart receiver, but he does struggle with bump and run. Cb's usually dont bump and run though, so he will still be in his 70-80 catch range.

I agree though ashley is more talented, but rod is still good at working the possession game.
              this coming from the guy that states that Plummer is "almost" as good as Elway....and Mike Bell got the starting job because he was a Bronco fan as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
                Because we had been unable to secure the services of a #2 receiver.
                Not only that, but preparation for the future, AKA Rod's retirement.

Denver wasn't desperate to keep Lelie. They rarely even talked with the disgruntled receiver. Denver had the position of: If he shows up, great. Else, we'll be just fine. Denver waited to unload him to get appropriate value and to make a statement to the rest of the team that not everyone gets Clinton Portis treatment when they complain.
                Really, which is why I can probably dig up at least 10 articles showing that Shanahan and the Broncos didn't want to part ways with Lelie. Of course Denver waited for the "proper value" for Lelie to come along, they weren't going to sell themselves short. If you admit Denver wouldn't trade Lelie unless they got proper value for him, you've already given into the fact that they would have some regrets about letting him go.

Fines, playing hard ball with him, all sure signs they didn't want him to go. Denver didn't want to see Lelie leave at all.

Shanahan praised Branch's abilities, and Branch said he'd like to play for an organization like Denver. But Denver never once showed any interest in obtaining another high-priced receiver.

Try again.
                Denver had inquired New England about Branch's services, but laughed at the price. Much like many laughed at the Broncos with what they first had on the offering table. Same deal, different player.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

Hmm. I think most of what I was going to say has already been said. So, I'll just say this:

It's surely possible that Rod retires after this season. But considering his talent, his work ethic, and his desire to keep playing this game, I won't be surprised if he plays, and plays well, for another 3 or 4 years.

Some might think I'm crazy for saying this but I see Rod as being only a slightly lesser version of Jerry Rice, except that Rod had to work his way up. Rice had the edge in pure physical ability but they both shared that desire to excel, their intense work ethic, and their love of the game.

My point being that if Rice could play effectively till 40 years old. I think Rod could do it till at least 38 years old. And I think his love for the game will keep him playing even if he slips to the #2 or eventually #3 role (in a couple years), but even then he'll still probably be a good contributor.

On a side note, how was it "stupid" to let Ashley go? He had vowed to not play for us again. The Broncos made the best of a bad situation that Ashley caused.
                  I don't think this is off base at all.

I'm with you and not saying that Rod Smith is another Jerry Rice. But Rod does approach the game just as Jerry did. He trains hard, keeps motivated, and does what it takes to get it done in the offseason (and season) with class and HARD WORK. He continues to work on improving himself as a receiver, and as a leader. Rod treats his body as a temple, and never takes the "offseason" to vacate from treating it as so. He knows his playing in the NFL is a gift, and treats it as so.

Jerry Rice is the best to play the game. There is no argueing that. But he DID have the advantage of having Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing him the ball throughout his career. Rod Smith patterns himself after Jerry Rice. You can see it the way he plays, and how he approaches the game. Thats why you will see Rod continue to play in the NFL untl he is forced to give it up. He knows this chance in his life is going to be coming to an end, and he's not going to cut it shorter than it has to be. I expect Rod to continue to be a WR for several more years, and a productive one at that.

Comment

Originally posted by Champ>NFL
                    Im going to get flamed for this. I love Rod i truly do. But the mas not going to be succesful in either this season or the next. He cant get any seperation from CB's anymore. they only have to bump and Run him and its over. Thats why it was stupid to let Ashley Go...
                    you should be doing this :brick:
                    R.I.P D.Will

Thanks Tned

Comment

Yeah I want to see this troll post back here

Comment

Originally posted by Orange_Crush21
                        What is your background for this? This is something you might want to wait on posting until midseason. You know, when you might actually have some support for your claim.

As of now, Rod Smith is coming off of a Pro Bowl season and is still one of the best route runners in the game.
                        ya so there,lol

Comment

never he will play forever,lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                            Not only that, but preparation for the future, AKA Rod's retirement.
                            They might have been looking at the fact that eventually Rod Smith will retire, but it wasn't like they seemed to think it was an immediate concern. Heck, bring in a WR have him at the 2 or 3 spot for two or so years and then move him up to 1 once he proves he's the best on the team. Rod is getting old by NFL standards, and everyone knows he'll retire someday, but I don't think the team has acted worried about it being this year or even next.

Really, which is why I can probably dig up at least 10 articles showing that Shanahan and the Broncos didn't want to part ways with Lelie. Of course Denver waited for the "proper value" for Lelie to come along, they weren't going to sell themselves short. If you admit Denver wouldn't trade Lelie unless they got proper value for him, you've already given into the fact that they would have some regrets about letting him go.

Fines, playing hard ball with him, all sure signs they didn't want him to go. Denver didn't want to see Lelie leave at all.
                            Yeah, because playing hardball is the way to get a disgruntled player to stay on your team.... If the Broncos were worried about keeping him, they would have made some sort of concession, not fined him for everyday that he was gone and looked around for someone to trade him to.

Denver had inquired New England about Branch's services, but laughed at the price. Much like many laughed at the Broncos with what they first had on the offering table. Same deal, different player.
                            Branch is a SB MVP, that fact (along with the fact that Lelie is not as good as Branch) makes these two situations completely different. NE might be asking for more than most will give for Branch, but we just wanted to make sure we got something (read: anything) out of the deal for Lelie.

Comment

I stated this earlier in the year. I didnt go as far as to say his career is over, he is still a very smart receiver, but he does struggle with bump and run. Cb's usually dont bump and run though, so he will still be in his 70-80 catch range.

I agree though ashley is more talented, but rod is still good at working the possession game.
                              So where did all that talent get Lelie anyway? The only thing Ashley had on Rod was speed and Smith still outplayed him every year with heart, route running, good hands and smarts. Ashley wishes he could be half the player Rod is

I NEED CP FOR MY BUNGHOLE

Comment

Rod

I hope Rod doesn't wind up having to be pulled off the field kicking and screaming like Rice and Blanda.

For now he's great to have on our team!

Comment

Working...
                                X