Broncos have a tight group at tight end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos have a tight group at tight end

I always enjoy hearing about our players building up their chemistry. Here's a nice article on our tight ends from the Newswire:
    DENVER -- The Denver Broncos tight ends make for an eclectic ensemble.

Veteran Stephen Alexander has even dubbed them with corresponding nicknames. There's the rookie (Tony Scheffler), prankster (Nate Jackson), goofball (Chad Mustard) and serious one (Mike Leach).

Alexander, of course, is the role model.

And while the tight ends have turned making fun of each other into a hobby, they're all business once they're on the field. That's why Alexander thinks it's going to be a special year for this motley crew.

"It's a great group with lots of talent," Alexander said. "It's a great mix of players and people.

"And the personality on this year's team, man, it's crazy."

Alexander's the undisputed leader. He's been in the league for nine years.

"Yeah, but he's been hanging on four years too long," said Leach, who also doubles as the long snapper. "He's living off his reputation."

Alexander rolled his eyes at the assertion.

"I have to be on the straight and narrow and show these guys the right path to take," said Alexander, who provides the Broncos with the best pass catching/run blocking option.

That's why Alexander lockers next to Scheffler. So he can show the rookie the ropes.

And pump him up from time to time.

"Tony walks around like he's in the tank and his dog died the night before," Alexander said. "He's always down. We don't even talk to him before noon."

Scheffler's just a little nervous with the season opener Sunday at St. Louis rapidly approaching. He has a lot on his plate with learning a new offense. As a second-round pick, he knows there's pressure on him to make big plays, especially with the team severing ties with Jeb Putzier in the offseason. Gone with Putzier are 37 catches and 481 yards.

"It's starting to sink in that I'm going to hopefully make a contribution this year," Scheffler said.

If his preseason play is any indication, a big contribution. Scheffler had nine catches for 133 yards and one touchdown.

He's become Mr. Preseason. Although he'd rather trade that title in for something else.

"I'm excited to put the preseason in the past and stop talking about that," said Scheffler, who was taken 61st overall out of Western Michigan. "I want to start proving I'm a good regular season player."

The coaching staff is impressed.

"He gives us a tremendous weapon in the passing game," tight ends coach Tim Brewster said.

The same can be said of Jackson. He was converted to tight end from receiver last season, packing on 20 pounds with his own milkshake concoctions.

He's finally up to speed at tight end and even had a 35-yard touchdown catch in the preseason.

"Nate has been more of a pass receiver for us, but he's coming along in the running game," Brewster said.

Lately, Jackson has been sporting a bushy mustache that Burt Reynolds, circa the '70s, would envy. It's part of his prankster persona.

"He's always joking and trying to rap," Alexander said.

Is he a good rapper?

Alexander's hearty laugh was indication enough.

Then there's Mustard, branded goofball for his carefree ways. He's a 6-foot-6, 277-pound hulking presence out of Division II North Dakota, but he's one of the nicest players on the team. He stops and chats with everyone on his way to his locker.

A long shot to make the roster, he had alternative plans in case the Broncos didn't work out. He was going to teach math at a high school in Nebraska.

But the former National Indoor Football League player earned a spot with his blocking.

"Chad is a big, physical line of scrimmage presence that helps us in the run game," Brewster said.

Leach won't see much time at tight end. He's never had an NFL catch as he heads into his seventh season. He's still highly valuable for his services as a long snapper.

But he's one of them and can't avoid being picked on.

"Mike's the serious guy," Alexander said. "Always serious. So serious."

While this group of tight ends may be a bunch of unique characters, Brewster wouldn't trade them for anything.

"We feel we have talented guys," Brewster said. "They all bring good things to the table."

Especially personality.

"We have that," Alexander said with a grin. "I think it's going to be a real special year for us. I don't judge our group on numbers. There's a lot more to what we do than how many balls we catch. We're a huge part in the passing game and in pass protection.

"We're asked to be everything."

And the role model, rookie, prankster, goofball and serious one are prepared to do just that -- everything.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

great read cp to you....

"Little Pads. Big Hits. Huge heart." - tnedator

This play is the reason I'm a DENVER BRONCOS fan

Comment

yeah...

i dont know....

i mean yeah...

our guys are ok..

but they are not really anything better than that....

we have one of the weakest TE teams in the nfl...

and although optimism and name calling is great to cover up flaws....

im affraid i cannot swallow that....

we simply dont have the talent...

scheffler could be good... but he is not good enough on thr run game yet....

he may be by mid season but not game one...

and alexander...

well im sad to say but he is nothing more than a back up...

he has been a back up for 9 years....

and he is our starter now not because he really earned it and competed for that spot last year...

but simply cos he is the next link in the chain...

and even then....

putzier was not a great TE either....

im sure we will be fine...

but i would love to see some realy quality TEs on our team...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
        yeah...

i dont know....

i mean yeah...

our guys are ok..

and alexander...

and he is our starter now not because he really earned it and competed for that spot last year...

and even then....

huh?

no talent?

alexander made the pro bowl, so i guess thats not too bad for a career backup

it looks like we are pretty deep for the first time in a long time that i can remember.

sheffler is going to stretch the middle of the field and keep teams honest.

i hope teams underestimate our te's the way you do. they will run circles around defenses this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful
          huh?

no talent?

alexander made the pro bowl, so i guess thats not too bad for a career backup

it looks like we are pretty deep for the first time in a long time that i can remember.

sheffler is going to stretch the middle of the field and keep teams honest.

i hope teams underestimate our te's the way you do. they will run circles around defenses this year.
          i really hope you are right....

and i like scheffler...

he is like a white v. davis....

but runnin circles...

well i dont know...

i dont like chad and nate...

they are not complete TEs...

and that makes me a little concerned...

sigpic

Comment

Nate Jackson raps? Ok, chalk up another reason to continue my one-man crusade!

Comment

i really hope you are right....

and i like scheffler...

he is like a white v. davis....

but runnin circles...

well i dont know...

i dont like chad and nate...

they are not complete TEs...

and that makes me a little concerned...

Alexanders isn't a back up, and he wasn't last year, and he hasn't been for years. He started over Putzier. I don't know where you got that info, but it's wrong.

Scheffler is a rookie who has a chance to learn from a guy who went down the same path he has. Alexander started as a pass catcher and learned to block which is what Tony has to do.

Nate and Chad both bring something good to the table, both will help when we need them.

Chad helps in the heavy blocking packages, Nate is another recieving threat to spread out defenses.

You can like them for how they help the team and be happy.

Or not like them because they don't do everything you want them to do and be worried.

Up to you

But you better cheer on my adopted boy Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                Nate Jackson raps? Ok, chalk up another reason to continue my one-man crusade!

You never heard about Jack Nasty and Nasty Breeze ?

Prankster ? *rofl* I love it, and it describes him perfectly
                *sighmoduson*I want this man, please buy me * sighmodusoff*

Ok honestly I like it very much, that we have 5 TE....It makes me feel very good :dance:

Hopelessly devoted to the Prankster

Comment

Thanks for the read, but you'll never convince me that carrying five tight ends is a good thing. One reason we have to carry so many tight ends is because we don't have one or two guys like most teams who are well-rounded enough take on most aspects of the game.

None of these guys are complete tight ends. Each are on the roster (some, I have no idea why they're still here) are here because they bring something to the team. Mustard, for his size and great blocking. Scheffler, because he's a great receiver. Leach, because he's our LS. . . Alexander for leadership, a decent tight end. . . Nate Jackson. . . I really have no idea.

He's shown nothing in his career in the NFL and he continues to be a waste of a roster spot. No offense to those who like the kid, but you can't show me anywhere how he actually helps this team over the current crop we already have the position. We already have a receiving tight end, no need for another.

WA, how soon is too soon for the "How many games will Nate be injured?" and the "What bone will Nate break this year?" threads. . . Let me know ASAP!

Another one of our stupid roster blunders, carrying five tight ends and three true defenisve tackles. DAMN, that's smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                    Thanks for the read, but you'll never convince me that carrying five tight ends is a good thing. One reason we have to carry so many tight ends is because we don't have one or two guys like most teams who are well-rounded enough take on most aspects of the game.

None of these guys are complete tight ends. Each are on the roster (some, I have no idea why they're still here) are here because they bring something to the team. Mustard, for his size and great blocking. Scheffler, because he's a great receiver. Leach, because he's our LS. . . Alexander for leadership, a decent tight end. . . Nate Jackson. . . I really have no idea.

He's shown nothing in his career in the NFL and he continues to be a waste of a roster spot. No offense to those who like the kid, but you can't show me anywhere how he actually helps this team over the current crop we already have the position. We already have a receiving tight end, no need for another.

WA, how soon is too soon for the "How many games will Nate be injured?" and the "What bone will Nate break this year?" threads. . . Let me know ASAP!

Another one of our stupid roster blunders, carrying five tight ends and three true defenisve tackles. DAMN, that's smart.
                    I feel your bitterness, and more so I am bitter that we didn't draft a DT this year and instead brought in a bunch of UDFAs.

That being said however, I am really hoping the addition of Heimerdinger means we will be doing explosive things on the offense this year. For now, until I see otherwise I'm trusting the FO before I call it a mistake.

Comment

yeah...

i dont know....

i mean yeah...

our guys are ok..

and alexander...

and even then....

Dude... let's work on those paragraphs please I had a hard time reading through your fragmented speak.

It's hard to get or find elite TE's like say Gates or Crumpler. I believe we do have a few quality TE's on our team. They get the job done and can make big plays. But, elite TE's are a few & far between.
                      Last edited by RazR; 09-09-2006, 10:18 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dream

Come on Dream. What gives you the knowledge to criticize the coaches decisions on how many at what positions to keep on the roster? Seriously. I don't know if you can point out to me these kind of "roster mistakes" in the past that would justify your concern or worries?? If you have something that would show Shanahan has blundered in his choice of roster decisions based on the # of each position he kept sometime in the recent past, I'd like to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                          I always enjoy hearing about our players building up their chemistry. Here's a nice article on our tight ends from the Newswire:
                          Thanks for the read Jav..... but I'm surprised these guys don't follow the same media ban that the OL keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                            Come on Dream. What gives you the knowledge to criticize the coaches decisions on how many at what positions to keep on the roster? Seriously. I don't know if you can point out to me these kind of "roster mistakes" in the past that would justify your concern or worries?? If you have something that would show Shanahan has blundered in his choice of roster decisions based on the # of each position he kept sometime in the recent past, I'd like to read it.
                            I don't know how anyone could go about proving what guys were roster mistakes.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                              Keeping as many tight ends as we have the past two years has been a huge mistake.

Leach is needed for his long-snapping abilities. Thank God Denver has several youngsters who they're grooming right now who also play a position worthwhile to take over for him by the start of next season. Leach does deserve a roster spot.

Alexander can be an effective blocking tight end, and Scheffler can be the receiving tight end. The only reason I can see Mustard making the team is because he's versatile and a good blocker, since we struggle in the redzone, he'll probably be in on goaline formations where someone else usually would be. A lineman playing tight end, really.

Why's Jackson on the team again? Can anyone even tell me why he needs to be on the team? We have our long snapper, blocking tight end (Stephen Alexander) and Tony Scheffler as our receiving threat. That should be all we need. It's completely asinine and unorthodox to keep that many tight ends on the squad, especially for the limited action Jackson and Mustard are going to see.

I guarentee if you go around the league, the other 31 teams will have better depth at defensive tackle and less people at tight end. It's a complete waste of two rosters spots to have more than three tight ends on a roster. Five tight ends on the roster, who does that?

If you don't see the problem of only having three defensive tackles in on this team, it's nothing personal, but there has to be something wrong with you man. Since our line is basically crap in the first place, we can use all the help we can get. One thing is good out of this from the defensive line standpoint, is that Dumervil will probably get more looks on defense since he's the "fourth" defensive tackle on the roster. Hell, maybe two good things will come out of this. Maybe Shanahan will realize who we have competely suck and we'll do a whole revamp of the line next season.

What happens if Warren, Myers or Veal go down? (Just one of them) Then we're really in a pickle. Bring up a guy like Burton from the practice squad?

It's completely mind-boggling. A weak spot on the team is incredibly weaker as far as depth is concerned because we're using roster spots that could be used elsewhere (at true places of need, such as defensive line) on positions that we need not worry about. Not to mention, Warren and Brown are both coming off injuries and Chukwurrah injured himself in the last game of the season.

For the past two seasons, Denver has carried an unecessary amount of tight ends on the squad, to what contribution? Very little. (Those outside Leach, Alexander and Putzier.)

Comment

Working...
                              X