Three 100 yard backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three 100 yard backs?

Does anyone know if in NFL history if one team has ever had three different players rush for 100 yards in a game?

Since last year with Anderson, Bell and Dayne and now with Bell's & Cobbs I could see it happening against a soft defense like the Chiefs! Here is how it might really happen. M Bell rushes 15 to 20 times for 100+, and T. Bell breaks off two or three long ones. With a big lead in the second half Cobbs comes in and gets his!
    Last edited by DBinKC; 09-09-2006, 09:09 AM.

Chiefs defense is great against the rush, where have you been dude? Its their passing defense thats tough. If we want 3 100 yards rushers, we have to do it to the 49ers, Cardinals and Browns.
    Last edited by Javalon; 09-09-2006, 08:37 PM. Reason: Keeping it PC. ;)
    XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

I watched last years game in Denver

221 yards on 37 attempts for a 6.0 yard average. Besides I live in Chiefs country, what could be better!
      Last edited by DBinKC; 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DBinKC
        221 years
        Really? That's a lot of years.
        Originally posted by Soldier96B
        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Originally posted by DBinKC
          Does anyone know if in NFL history if one team has ever had three different players rush for 100 yards in a game?

Since last year with Anderson, Bell and Dayne and now with Bell's & Cobbs I could see it happening against a soft defense like the Chiefs! Here is how it might really happen. M Bell rushes 15 to 20 times for 100+, and T. Bell breaks off two or three long ones. With a big lead in the second half Cobbs comes in and gets his!
          The only place this could actually happen is college level. No pro football (IMO) is capable of this because on the pro level the Defense is that much better. College football is where this is likely to happen.
          sigpic

Comment

The only reason that this would never happen is because of one thing, attempts.

Statistically, the starting running back has about a 60% chance of getting 100 yards on any given sunday because he is likely to get at least 15-20 carries. The average YPC for a RB is around 4.1, so the RB on 15-20 carries would have to rush for 1 more yard than average every 5-7 attempts.

The league leader in attempts per game was Pittsburgh last year with 34.2 per game (coincidentally we finished right behind that with around 33 per game). If the #1 running back has run for 100 yards or more on his 15-20 carries it is likely that the #2 running back will only get his chance for 100 carries on 10 attempts at most, meaning a 10 YPC average. This happens on occaission such as last year's Eagles game, the stats from that game:

Rusher CAR YDS AVG TD LG
            M. Anderson 21 126 6.0 1 18
            T. Bell 14 107 7.6 2 67
            J. Plummer 1 22 22.0 0 22

The game above was a statistical anomaly of the 2005 season in which the #1 RB and the #2 RB both got near or more than 15 carries. The RB's in this game got 35 total carries based on the high TOP the Broncos had in this game (37:00).

Let's say that an oppurtunity like this were to happen again. A weak struggling team comes on the schedule, with a pourous rush defense. The broncos trample them without complications and they are able to rush the ball for 35-40 times. For the 3 RB for 100 yard even to happen the following would need to happen:

-The 3rd RB would need to be explosive enough to get his 100 on 5 or less carries
            -The 1st RB would need not to be so overpowering in getting his 100 yards that he gets the ball over 25 times.
            -The QB would need to struggle and be limited to 25 or less Passes thrown
            -The 2nd RB would need to break big runs early so as to earn his next 8-10 carries based on his first 4-5.

All the planets would have to align just right for this to happen, and the chances of this happening come out to about 10,000 to 1, im guessing.
            Blet

Comment

[QUOTE=OrangePeel]The only reason that this would never happen is because of one thing, attempts.

Thanks for the thoughful reply, but most of what you talked about was averages and what I'm looking for is one special game. I know most of these stats are pre HDTV but last year Seattle ran for 320, so even in this era it's possible.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/team/rushing

Most Rushing Attempts, Game
              72 Chi. Bears vs. Brooklyn, Oct. 20, 1935
              70 Chi. Cardinals vs. Green Bay, Dec. 5, 1948
              69 Chi. Cardinals vs. Green Bay, Dec. 6, 1936
              69 Kansas City vs. Cincinnati, Sept. 3, 1978

Most Yards Gained Rushing, Game
              426 Detroit vs. Pittsburgh, Nov. 4, 1934
              423 N.Y. Giants vs. Baltimore, Nov. 19, 1950
              420 Boston vs. N.Y. Giants, Oct. 8, 1933

Seahawks run over Houston in 42-10 win
              Oct 10, 2005
              Seattle set a franchise record with 320 yards rushing: Alexander ran for 141, and his backup, Maurice Morris, added 104.
              Team total 42 attempts 320 yards 7.6 average

Comment

but the reason it's so hard to have THREE, is because if you have 2 guys who are running that well, it is very unlikely the 3rd will get any chances to run for 100 as well, barring injury, I could see 2 100 RB's and a 100 QB though.
                Blet

Comment

Originally posted by The Executioner
                  Chiefs defense is great against the rush, where have you been dude? Its their passing defense thats tough. If we want 3 100 yards rushers, we have to do it to the 49ers, Cardinals and Browns.
                  I have to debate that. They let some really crazy runs happen last year. They were burnt quite often by the run last year. Tiki barber, Mike Anderson (Both times), Ronie Brown, ect.
                  "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Working...
                  X