• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Colorado newspaper weighs in on Jake

Plummer’s play is hastening the inevitable

Mike Spence
    Pueblo Chieftain

A word of advice to Jake Plummer fans - a number that surely has dwindled considerably since Sunday’s debacle in St. Louis - enjoy the next few games.

This will be the last season Plummer starts a game in a Broncos’ uniform. He might finish out the season as Denver’s No. 1 quarterback. But another performance or two like the one he produced on Sunday, and it will be over.

Plummer’s play was nothing short of terrible against the Rams. Three interceptions and a fumble wasted a solid effort by the defense in an 18-10 loss to a team that Denver not only should have beaten, but needed to beat.

The Broncos’ schedule is nothing short of brutal this year. Down the road Denver faces New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Seattle, not to mention an improved Baltimore. That’s on top of traditionally difficult games against AFC West rivals Kansas City, San Diego and Oakland.

Now, instead of being 1-0 and coming home to face Kansas City, the Broncos are 0-1 and face a must-win situation against the Chiefs. If Denver loses its home opener, the Broncos travel to New England on Week 3 and face the very real prospect of starting the year 0-3 heading into their bye week. If that happens, Denver can forget about the playoffs. And the howls for Plummer’s head will only increase.

In reality, Plummer’s days were numbered the day Denver used its first-round pick on Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler. He’s bigger, more talented, stronger and stronger-armed than Plummer and already shows signs of being a more polished player.

The only factor that kept Plummer No. 1 was Cutler’s inexperience. But what advantage does Plummer have if he continues to play error-prone football he did on Sunday?

Only Denver coach Mike Shanahan can answer that. And the answer’s probably not good for Plummer.

The Broncos acquired Plummer knowing that he was a mixed bag. He was a talented quarterback with a penchant for big plays and equally big mistakes (he’s thrown for 150 touchdowns while throwing 151 interceptions during the regular season). Shanahan gambled he could correct Plummer’s error-prone ways and make a Super Bowl quarterback out of him. That almost worked last season when Plummer threw for 18 touchdowns and just seven interceptions during the regular season and led the Broncos into the AFC Championship Game. Unfortunately, in the biggest game of his life, Plummer suffered another meltdown losing two fumbles and throwing two interceptions in a 34-17 loss to Pittsburgh in Denver.

That performance was forgiven, if not forgotten, because Shanahan figured it was an off game for his new-and-improved quarterback. Now, though, it looks like Plummer’s play during the regular season in 2005 was the aberration. Plummer doesn’t have much time to convince his boss otherwise.

While Plummer is popular in the locker room and his veteran teammates are standing behind him. That support won’t last long if he continues to produce quarterback efficiency ratings of 26.2, like he did on Sunday.

Shanahan had hoped to build on last season and take his team one step further - to the Super Bowl - this year. However, to do that, he needs consistent play from a quarterback he can count on.

Plummer flunked the first test of the 2006 season, much like he did last season when the Broncos lost their opener at Miami. But last year’s team won the next five in a row and nine out of 10 to climb back into the playoff hunt. That will be much harder to do with this season’s schedule.

Plummer’s task is to convince his boss and his teammates that he’s “Jake the Snake” not “Jake the Mistake.” With each poor performance, the latter moniker becomes harder to shed.
    sigpic

I'm completely on your side. Keep the cartoons coming, I love em.

Comment

Yeah, that's the thing that worries me the most.

If the Broncos think the Rams are tough, take a look at the rest of our schedule.

It's not going to be an easy road.

Comment

Plummer has an illustrious career when it comes to 20 INT seasons. Quoting Forrest Gump - "thats all I have to say about that."

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1003

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Knight
          Yeah, that's the thing that worries me the most.

If the Broncos think the Rams are tough, take a look at the rest of our schedule.

It's not going to be an easy road.
          Yeah. I was worried about the schedule coming in. This year's schedule has always looked tough, but considering how we played on Sunday, its looking even tougher all the time.

I'm confident we'll pick it up this week...but the game in NE certainly scares me.

Comment

But we are to New England like Baltimore is to us... We always play the Pats tough, and usually win, there or here... Last year we struggled to beat a very depleted bunch of Crows... With how they (Balt) look this year, THAT's the game I'm gonna be shocked if we win.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
              But we are to New England like Baltimore is to us... We always play the Pats tough, and usually win, there or here... Last year we struggled to beat a very depleted bunch of Crows... With how they (Balt) look this year, THAT's the game I'm gonna be shocked if we win.
              Atleast its in Denver this year. That gives us a very good shot to beat them.

Comment

Good, an easy road to 4-12 will nab us Quentin Moses!!!!!!

Comment

Nostradumbass!!!

I have no idear who Mike spence is, but he's not exactly going out on a limb here...

Plummers 2007 fate was decided the day Cutler was drafted......

But hey.....The sooner Jay starts the sooner mtnman and Drew Litten can start tearing him down too......

Cutler has no clue what he's in for.....THE most fair-weathered fans in the league!

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
                    I have no idear who Mike spence is, but he's not exactly going out on a limb here...

But hey.....The sooner Jay starts the sooner mtnman and Drew Litten can start tearing him down too......

Cutler has no clue what he's in for.....THE most fair-weathered fans in the league!
                    Did the fans draft Cutler or did Shanahan?
                    Did Plummer commit 4 turnovers or did Cutler?
                    Do the fans have a say in the product they sustain the existance of?

Just a few questions for you to ponder over.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed

Based on the rest of your post, that's not the only thing you have no "idear" on...

sigpic

Comment

Same old recycled news on every little home town rag. Not that I necessarily disagree with most of the assessment, but this guy is pretty matter-of-fact and if there is one thing you definitely cannot predict, it's how Shanny will react to something.

This guy is pretty sure that Cutler will be starting sooner than later. I, on the other hand, am of the notion that Shanny would rather go 0-16 than give up on Plummer. I really don't think that Cutler will start this year no matter how bad it goes. Shanny is too arrogant to allow the media or the fans to influence his decision. Plummer knows this and that's why he's just not worried about his job.

Comment

Well, I'm assuming the Pubelo Chieftan is an actual newspaper.

But...yeah 26.2 is awful. But its the first week of the season. Must I remind you, again, what happened last year?

Granted, it looks as if the Cutler train is charging hard but the last thing we need is a kid thrown into the fire face first and gets scalded.
                          Rest in Peace, Darrent and Damien. You will be forever in our thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by SmithOverTO
                            Well, I'm assuming the Pubelo Chieftan is an actual newspaper.

But...yeah 26.2 is awful. But its the first week of the season. Must I remind you, again, what happened last year?

Granted, it looks as if the Cutler train is charging hard but the last thing we need is a kid thrown into the fire face first and gets scalded.

I would hope you aren't implying that I made this up....

http://www.chieftain.com/sports/1158041016/4
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                              Same old recycled news on every little home town rag. Not that I necessarily disagree with most of the assessment, but this guy is pretty matter-of-fact and if there is one thing you definitely cannot predict, it's how Shanny will react to something.

This guy is pretty sure that Cutler will be starting sooner than later. I, on the other hand, am of the notion that Shanny would rather go 0-16 than give up on Plummer. I really don't think that Cutler will start this year no matter how bad it goes. Shanny is too arrogant to allow the media or the fans to influence his decision. Plummer knows this and that's why he's just not worried about his job.
                              I don't think Cutler will start this year either because I believe that the team will get things turned around. However, I think a plausible scenario for Jay to start outside of major injury is the being out of the playoff hunt.
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X