What to do with Deltha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Deltha

Here's my plan for moving up in the draft. Minnesota's Mike Tice has already expressed a desire to move down in the draft. Despite the pickup of an overated CB (Antoine Winfield), the Vikes still need help in the secondary. We package Deltha and our #1 for Minnesoata's #1 (19). With any luck, Randy Starks is still available. Then, with our first #2 we pick up TE Ben Watson. Our second #2 we use on WR Michael Jenkins. With three picks we have adressed what I consider to be our three primary needs. If Starks is not available, we could go with D.J. Williams or Jon Vilma. In any case, by moving up five spots we put ourselves in the position to draft based on need without overpaying (e.g. Ben Troupe / Ben Watson with pick #24).

Re: What to do with Deltha

Originally posted by GrieseMagic
    Here's my plan for moving up in the draft. Minnesota's Mike Tice has already expressed a desire to move down in the draft. Despite the pickup of an overated CB (Antoine Winfield), the Vikes still need help in the secondary. We package Deltha and our #1 for Minnesoata's #1 (19). With any luck, Randy Starks is still available. Then, with our first #2 we pick up TE Ben Watson. Our second #2 we use on WR Michael Jenkins. With three picks we have adressed what I consider to be our three primary needs. If Starks is not available, we could go with D.J. Williams or Jon Vilma. In any case, by moving up five spots we put ourselves in the position to draft based on need without overpaying (e.g. Ben Troupe / Ben Watson with pick #24).
    I believe Vilma will be a better player for the Broncos than Stark. He has demonstrated great leadership skills and instincts while at Miami. Every time I watched him play I was never dissapointed.

Comment

The Vikings are now screwed. I thought Winfield was a more than adequate DB, but these new contact rules are basically going to put him out of a job because of his height. How can he even go for a ball if he can't make ANY contact at all? If they are running shoulder to shoulder, ya gotta let them play.

I think we might have someone go over 2,000 yards recieving soon. Which would be a shame, because it would diminish that amazing 1,848 set by Rice. It places it out of context, much like a lot of us don't understand just how dominant Jim Brown was.

Overall this plan above isn't bad.

But would Minny take O'Neal? He's not much taller than Winfield, and he was in another team's doghouse, so how attractive is he to other teams.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
      You should check these guys out

Comment

Re: Re: What to do with Deltha

Originally posted by Jared
        The Vikings are now screwed. I thought Winfield was a more than adequate DB, but these new contact rules are basically going to put him out of a job because of his height. How can he even go for a ball if he can't make ANY contact at all? If they are running shoulder to shoulder, ya gotta let them play.

I think we might have someone go over 2,000 yards recieving soon. Which would be a shame, because it would diminish that amazing 1,848 set by Rice. It places it out of context, much like a lot of us don't understand just how dominant Jim Brown was.

Overall this plan above isn't bad.

But would Minny take O'Neal? He's not much taller than Winfield, and he was in another team's doghouse, so how attractive is he to other teams.
        I agree...the contact rules are getting out of hand...just let them play the game. It would be sad to see someone break Jerrys record because of the silly gradeschool rules...

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
        Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
        Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
        Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

I think Shanahan's foil of threatening to use Deltah as a WR is working around the league. He still has the physical skills that made him a #1 pick and Pro Bowl player and I hear that at least six teams are interested in him. That said, I don't think he's worth much; but moving five selections higher isn't that much to ask in a draft that tails off signifigantly after (around) pick #15. Perhaps we could even trade Deltha somewhere else for a #3 or #4 and trade that to Minnesota.

I agree that Vilma is a safer, and probably better, pick than Starks. However, part of me hopes than Michael Boulware drops to the second round. I wouldn't mind picking up a speedy but undersized OLB in the second round. A strange touch of irony for our departing Mr. Gold.

What do you think about drafting Darnell Dockett with our first pick in the second?

Comment

I think Shanahan's foil of threatening to use Deltah as a WR is working around the league. He still has the physical skills that made him a #1 pick and Pro Bowl player and I hear that at least six teams are interested in him. That said, I don't think he's worth much; but moving five selections higher isn't that much to ask in a draft that tails off signifigantly after (around) pick #15. Perhaps we could even trade Deltha somewhere else for a #3 or #4 and trade that to Minnesota.

I agree that Vilma is a safer, and probably better, pick than Starks. However, part of me hopes than Michael Boulware drops to the second round. I wouldn't mind picking up a speedy but undersized OLB in the second round. A strange touch of irony for our departing Mr. Gold.

What do you think about drafting Darnell Dockett with our first pick in the second?

I agree with you in the tail off after #15-17. So my question is why move up if you are not going to target the higher tier. Why trade for a player that is rated pretty much the same as a guy we could pick up at the #24 spot. Now if someone falls to #19 that we like then make the move but other than that if you want to trade up then move up in value.

Comment

Michael Jenkins will be off the board about 20-25 picks before our 2nd pick in the second round

Comment

My hope is that Randy Starks, not Jon Vilma, is available. I think Starks is in that first tier of players. Otherwise, I agree, we can probably get Vilma, D.J. Williams, or another player of equal value at #24. Our choices at DT in the second round, where I am afraid to say we are woefully thin, are considerably more risky. Donnell Washington and Darnell Dockett both have character issues; and I am in no mood for another early morning breakfast fiasco.

Comment

What is up with athe Rick James references I have been seeing lately? He hasn't had a hit in at least 17 years.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                  You should check these guys out

Comment

Given how deep the WR draft class is, I think it is reasonable to assume that the second round will still have many quality receivers available. With Jenkins gone, Lee Evans, Rashaun Woods, Devery Henderson, or Keary Colbert misht be options.

Comment

griesemagic?!!? wtf?!
                      mum's the word.. cause it seems no matter what i say right here, it always gets deleted.

Comment

Don't tell me you can't remember any of that Greise Magic?!?!

Comment

Why do people think we have to grab a DT in the 1st Round?? Why not wait till the 3rd or 4th??

Also, what's the big hype on Boulware?? I think there are at least 4 or 5 other LB's that are better than him in the Draft. If we can't grab D.J. Williams in the 1st then we should grab Lehmen in the 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

I think the top three DTs in the draft are a notch above those available in the second and third rounds. If Igor Olshansky or Isaac Sopoaga were to drop all the way to the second or third rounds, they would have great value. Unfortuanately, I think NFL teams have placed such a premium on DTs in the last few years, neither will be around by our second #2 pick. Last year we had two virtual walk-ons start for us at DT. While I have to commend Fatafehi and Holland for their supreme effort and remarkable sucess, I think the position remains a major area of concern. In short, the Broncos need a standout DT, not just a potential starter.

I like Boulware because he fits into a Broncos defensive scheme that was able to maximize the ability of another similar sized player (Ian Gold).

No offense, but Winfield seems too small to cover the lager receivers. Since #1 NFL receivers are getting larger and larger, this means he will have trouble being a shutdown corner (unless, of course, you count shutting down the other team's posession receiver). I'm not saying size is everything, (Look at Middlebrooks and O'neal) but a corner being payed that much money shouldn't need help from his partner in the backfield.

Comment

I think the top three DTs in the draft are a notch above those available in the second and third rounds. If Igor Olshansky or Isaac Sopoaga were to drop all the way to the second or third rounds, they would have great value. Unfortuanately, I think NFL teams have placed such a premium on DTs in the last few years, neither will be around by our second #2 pick. Last year we had two virtual walk-ons start for us at DT. While I have to commend Fatafehi and Holland for their supreme effort and remarkable sucess, I think the position remains a major area of concern. In short, the Broncos need a standout DT, not just a potential starter.

I like Boulware because he fits into a Broncos defensive scheme that was able to maximize the ability of another similar sized player (Ian Gold).

Unless Starks is the next Warren Sapp I don't think we need to draft him in the 1st Round. We have Eason who will be virtually a rookie since he was injured for mostly all of last season. We also have Pope and D. Davis along with Luther Elliss. I can't remember the last DT that came out his 1st year and made a huge impact on his team.

There are plenty of other LB's in the draft that fit our scheme. D.J. Williams, Jonathan Vilma(I think he can move to OLB), Teddy Lehmen, etc... There are better LB's than Boulware that we have a shot at grabbing.

Comment

Working...
                              X