A Fresh look at Plummer's stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh look at Plummer's stats

OK. I am going to try a fresh look at Plummer's stats.

A couple of things first. I got the idea from Pete Prisco (CBS Sportsline) on his radio show here in Florida. I called in down here and spoke to him about Byron Leftwich and Jake Plummer.

Everyone wants to criticize Plummer for how bad he is playing. Yes, his qb rating is low. Yes his TD/ INT is low. Now, for the more interesting stat:

Plummers Yards per attempt is 11.397 yards. Is that good or bad? If you rank him among all starting qb's, he is 17th in the league.

Here are some qb's ranked below him. Notable:
    Rothlesburger
    Favre
    Leftwich
    Brees
    Delhomme
    Carr
    McNair

Now on to the bad part: Plummer's completion percentage.....52.87%, which ranks 28th in the league (ahead of only Vick and Walter). Vick is 16th in YPA in case you're interested.

The point in all this is, yes, Plummer needs to improve his play, but when given the chance, he is getting it downfield. Can you blame him if we run on 1st and 2nd, and only gets limited pass plays on 3rd and long? Lastly, he is 26th in passing attempts. He is not getting many passing plays.

I look forward to your comments
    Last edited by kmcgough25; 10-18-2006, 08:33 AM.
    My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Originally posted by kmcgough25
    Now on to the bad part:
    Was the 'good' part being 17th in the NFL in YPA?...

Comment

Not saying good, just putting it into perspective.

Nothing more than that.
      My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

17 in YPA is pretty impressive when you consider his low completion percentage. Honestly, that's about the level where I think he's playing right now. Hopefully it improves, but so long as we win, I can't complain...

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

A couple of things first. I got the idea from Pete Prisco (CBS Sportsline) on his radio show here in Florida. I called in down here and spoke to him about Byron Leftwich and Jake Plummer.

Everyone wants to criticize Plummer for how bad he is playing. Yes, his qb rating is low. Yes his TD/ INT is low. Now, for the more interesting stat:

Plummers Yards per attempt is 11.397 yards. Is that good or bad? If you rank him among all starting qb's, he is 17th in the league.

Rothlesburger
          Favre
          Leftwich
          Brees
          Delhomme
          Carr
          McNair

Now on to the bad part: Plummer's completion percentage.....52.87%, which ranks 28th in the league (ahead of only Vick and Walter). Vick is 16th in YPA in case you're interested.

The point in all this is, yes, Plummer needs to improve his play, but when given the chance, he is getting it downfield. Can you blame him if we run on 1st and 2nd, and only gets limited pass plays on 3rd and long? Lastly, he is 26th in passing attempts. He is not getting many passing plays.

I've seen a lot of screens account for a lot of that 52.87% completion rate. He doesn't get many chances to pass? I won't comment on that.
          As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Plummer is tied for second in the NFL at 4-1 and counting.

Comment

Plummer QB rating 85.9; better than Elway's (79.9)

good timing to post this article....from a Cleveland paper, note the part about Plummer's QB rating surpassing Elway's. That's interesting! Brian Griese had a QB rating far higher than both of these (look at the article in the RM News today) but obviously QB ratings aren't everything.

Quarterback Jake Plummer: Erratic in the pocket but deadly on the run, the nimble passer is the franchise leader in career passer rating (85.9), easily outdistancing John Elway (79.9).

SCOUTING THE BRONCOS
              'Browncos' bolster Denver's 'D'
              Wednesday, October 18, 2006
              Tony Grossi
              Plain Dealer Reporter

Denver fans are confused this NFL season. Their beloved Broncos are having more trouble scoring points than in any of Mike Shanahan's 12 seasons as coach. Yet the team has won three games in a row by 10 points.

Has Shanahan reinvented himself into Brian Billick -- a one-time offensive mastermind leaning hard on defense?

The Broncos' defense has allowed one touchdown in five games. In the history of the NFL, only the 1934 Detroit Lions were better. They shut out their first seven opponents (and didn't make the playoffs).

So it is the rarest of all Shanahan teams that arrives Sunday in Cleveland, one dominated by the defensive unit. And leading it are four starting linemen banished from Cleveland in 2005 -- Kenard Lang, Michael Myers, Gerard Warren and Ebenezer Ekuban.

That's why they're called the Denver Browncos.

Tony Grossi's Scouting Report: Denver Broncos

What: Browns vs. Denver Broncos.

When: Sunday 4:05 p.m.

Where: Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Record: 4-1.

Last game: Defeated Oakland, 13-3, Sunday in Denver.

Coach: Mike Shanahan, 126-68, 12th year; 134-80 overall.

Series record: Broncos lead, 15-5.

Last meeting: Broncos won, 23-20 in overtime, Dec. 14, 2003, in Denver. Jason Elam sent the game into overtime with a field goal with six seconds left and won it with a field goal on Denver's first possession in the extra session.

League rankings: Offense is 24th (fifth rushing, 30th passing), defense is 10th (12th rushing, 11th passing) and has a turnover differential of minus-2.

Offensive overview

Shanahan's firm commitment to the running game never fails. Tatum Bell is easily on pace to complete the team's 11th individual 1,000-yard rushing season in the last 12 years. Denver's offensive line is the lightest in the league. Shanahan has always found the right position coach to teach the line how to maintain discipline in his zone-blocking scheme. Rarely does the line leave a gap open for defenders to penetrate. The backs are trained to make only one cut and then turn upfield. Shanahan's passing game suffers when quarterback Jake Plummer is kept from bootlegging to the outside. Javon Walker, a new addition, is a true big-play receiver, and Rod Smith, 36, must be accounted for.

Defensive overview

Coordinator Larry Coyer seeks to funnel everything to the middle of the field. Teams have died trying to run or pass to the outside. A trio of speedy linebackers makes most of the unit's tackles. Ian Gold, Al Wilson and D.J. Williams rank first, first and fourth on the team's tackling totals. Starting cornerbacks Champ Bailey and Darrent Williams are strong in the running game. Bailey is the league's best cornerback and one of the sport's top five players. The Broncos' front four doesn't dominate, but Coyer keeps them fresh and sacks are spread among six players. Safety John Lynch, 35, remains one of the league's signature hitters. He can afford to play like a fourth linebacker because the corners are so good.

Special teams overview

Denver kickers always benefit by playing half their games in the light mountain air. But Jason Elam - 9 of 10 field goals and a long of 51 yards - would be good anywhere. Punter Paul Emster (43.2 yards gross, 36.9 net) is nothing special. Return and coverage units have been irrelevant. Recently, Shanahan signed ex-Brown Quincy Morgan for kickoff returns and assigned cornerback Darrent Williams to handle punts. Ordinarily, Shanahan avoids using starters as returners, but the cupboard has been bare.

Players to watch

Cornerback Champ Bailey: A marvelous athlete who can shut down any receiver and is not afraid to make a tackle; he's second on the unit with 27 unassisted tackles.

Receiver Javon Walker: Any big plays in the passing game usually involve this trade import from Green Bay. His 19.4-yard receiving average attests that he has recovered from 2005 ACL surgery.

Quarterback Jake Plummer: Erratic in the pocket but deadly on the run, the nimble passer is the franchise leader in career passer rating (85.9), easily outdistancing John Elway (79.9).

Injury report

FB Kyle Johnson (sprained ankle) is questionable.

Small world

Former Browns on the Broncos roster: DE Courtney Brown (IR), DE Ebenezer Ekuban, DT Amon Gordon, DE Kenard Lang, DT Mi chael Myers, DT Gerard Warren, WR Quincy Morgan, TE Chad Mustard. . . . Broncos defensive line/tackles coach Andre Patter son was with the Browns in 2003 and '04. . . . Broncos de fensive backs coach Bob Slowik was Browns defensive coordinator in 1999. . . . Broncos defensive line/ends coach Jacob Burney was with the Browns in 1994 and '95. . . . Browns running back Reuben Droughns played for the Broncos from 2002 to '04. . . . Browns guard Lennie Friedman played for Broncos from 1999 through '02. . . . Browns assist ant head coach/ offensive line coach Jeff Davidson played for the Broncos from 1990 to '92. . . . Browns defen sive end Nick Eason was drafted by Broncos in 2003.

Comment

Rothlesburger
                Favre
                Leftwich
                Brees
                Delhomme
                Carr
                McNair

There is nothing fresh about Plummer. :nono: You can sugar coat his stats and try to compare to others. Ultimately when you sugar coat Plummer all you have is a frosty turd.
                Last edited by BroncoRT; 10-18-2006, 09:39 AM.
                The three Keys to football
                1. Turnovers
                2. Field Position
                3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Nice try. You don't get 11 YPC (not YPA, I just checked his stats -- 11 YPA with that completion percentage would be unheard of) by just completing screen passes. Especially when the recipient of many of those screen passes is Tatum Bell.
                  I was wondering around that. 11YPA seemed ungodly. heh.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by champ24girl
                    good timing to post this article....from a Cleveland paper, note the part about Plummer's QB rating surpassing Elway's. That's interesting! Brian Griese had a QB rating far higher than both of these (look at the article in the RM News today) but obviously QB ratings aren't everything.

This is exactly why you can't base your entire opinion on stats. According to these"stats" Plummer would be a better QB than Elway.

With a QB you look at intangibles not stats. You look at poise, mechanics, decision making, leadership, confidence, pocket awareness, clock management, touch, class and how he handles adversity. If you can find stats for these intangibles, let me know.
                    Last edited by BroncoRT; 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM.
                    The three Keys to football
                    1. Turnovers
                    2. Field Position
                    3. Red Zone Play

Comment

I believe that is Plummer's Yards per Completion. His Yards Per Attempt, which is a more important statistic, is 6.06, which is ranked 29th of the 36 QB's ranked.

Plummer's Broncos career QB Rating may be higher than Elway's, but his rating for this season is far below his career average. A good historic performance may buy you some additional time from the coaching staff, but the only thing that truly matters is current production. We can argue about the reasons, but no one can argue that the offensive production has been poor so far.

Comment

i think everyone should remember that it's early in the season yet, what we're all talking about now won't be relevant 8 weeks from now.

Comment

Originally posted by psychobilly
                          The Denver Defense is tied for second in the NFL at 4-1 and counting.
                          Fixed!!!!!

Comment

I'm not bashing on Plummer here.... but I think its obvious to even the strictest of Plummer fans, that Plummer is definitely in a slump. He's not executing well.. RIGHT NOW. That goes without much observation. So maybe it IS because of his play that the offense is relying more on the run during those 1st and 2nd downs as well as the 3rd and longs. Perhaps there are reasons they don't give Jake more passing attempts. I don't know.

I know that last year we started this trend of trying to sit on a lead with the run, and just bleed off the clock after halftime. I personally find it boring, and in NO WAY gives our offense a chance once we find ourselves behind in points.

Just by example when you see that our QB is last in QB rating when behind in points. I can't say thats a confidence boost for our offense when we do find ourselves behind... and we will. Maybe its because of the inaccurate passing that we are limiting the balls in the air. Last year we did this, and it provided Jake the best year of his career. I think the approach this season is just showing more because we aren't getting the ball in the endzone.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                              This is exactly why you can't base your entire opinion on stats. According to these"stats" Plummer would be a better QB than Elway.

With a QB you look at intangibles not stats. You look at poise, mechanics, decision making, leadership, confidence, pocket awareness, clock management, touch, class and how he handles adversity. If you can find stats for these intangibles, let me know.
                              exactly right. There is NO ONE that will realastically try to compare Jake to Elway.. and the reason being for those that do are only looking at the stats... and as we've pointed out so many many times before... stats NEVER tell the whole story.

I want to point that out that they don't tell the stats against Jake as well. Obviously since the season is early.. that aweful game against the Rams is going to really bring down his season totals. That HORRIBLE first half against the Ravens is going to hurt his season numbers. We just need for him to pick it up since we are 30% through the season now... its time.

Comment

Working...
                              X