Clear All

• Cleveland scouts say Tatum is "Soft"

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4527821

"Soft" a hard knock on Bell

Vows to dispel scouting report

By Mike Klis
    Denver Post Staff Writer
    Article Last Updated:10/21/2006 12:41:55 AM MDT

Broncos running back Tatum Bell says he knows somebody who knows something about the Cleveland Browns' scouting report.

As the Browns face Bell in Cleveland this Sunday, the scouting report included a line or two about his strengths, and weaknesses, as a ball carrier. Not surprisingly, Bell was more bothered by the insult than he was flattered by the compliment.

"When they scouted us, they said Mike Bell is tougher than me," Tatum Bell said, referring to his backup at the Broncos' tailback position. "They said I'm pretty soft, all you have to do is hit me a couple times and I'll have my head down and won't play the rest of the game."

The Browns must have an old scouting report. "Soft" but with dangerous speed might have been the book on Bell in his rookie year of 2004 and early in 2005. But it's doubtful a "soft" running back could have gained 92 yards through the rain, cold and Baltimore defense, as Bell did two nearly weeks ago at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Nor does it seem likely any running back could have rushed for 470 yards through five games against a schedule that has included the likes of New England, St. Louis, Kansas City and Baltimore, without having at least a modicum of toughness.

"I said, 'All right, we'll see after the first couple plays,"' Tatum Bell said.

Bell was given a chance to pop off against a Browns' defense that ranks 27th against the run at 143.0 yards per game.

Instead, Bell was surprised to learn about the Browns' run struggles because the film told him otherwise.

He was impressed with the size and athleticism of rookie outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, who goes 6-feet-3, 245 pounds, and the gargantuan force of 365-pound nose tackle Ted Washington.

"Big Ted, he clogs everything up," Bell said. "It's going to be a grind now. They've got a pretty decent team."

Although Bell and receiver Javon Walker have been the most pleasant surprises on an offense that has otherwise stumbled thus far, the Broncos' tailback believes he has more to offer.

"I'm still looking for that complete game," Bell said. "I'm still leaving too many yards on the field."
    Last edited by Chidoze; 10-21-2006, 09:27 PM.
    sigpic

the guy is soft....he can't break tackles, he outruns the defenses because of his speed, but if u put him one on one with a defender, he'll go down fairly easy.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DawgFanatic
      the guy is soft....he can't break tackles, he outruns the defenses because of his speed, but if u put him one on one with a defender, he'll go down fairly easy.
      Ray Lewis ring a bell? I've seen Tatum run through plenty of tackles this season but he does have his fair share of going down after the first hit.
      sigpic

Comment

Didn't know they were talking about Suggs......

Tater's getting it done, this year......

....we'll have to see if he can keep it up, though.

After playing some tough D's, he finally gets a chance to play a 2nd tier d......

Both Bells will get plenty of yards on sunday.......
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak

After playing some tough D's, he finally gets a chance to play a 2nd tier d......

Suggs is a Free agent. The Browns rush d has been struggling all year, hopefully they can snap out of it with the bye week we had.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak

Just thinking about tomorrow makes me smile and giggle
            sigpic

Comment

Is that what Ray Lewis said?

-----

Comment

I like Tatum as an inside runner more than Mike Anderson. He'll slip through the cracks and usually get tackled forward.

The game is not going to be easy, but Tatum should impress.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                  Is that what Ray Lewis said?

-----
                  lol, top, u and i kno ray ray is past his prime, heck even james harrison took him about 4 or 5 yards before he tackled him. this is the part where u say,' james who?'
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, with all due respect, he has been the complete opposite the last 3 games.

Ever since the KC game, TBell has been very good in between the tackles and finishing off runs.

You can look at the New England game in the fourth quarter, when he was turning 2 yard gains into 4-5 yard gains.

Look at Baltimore, when we needed a RB to get first downs and kill clock. TBell did both of those things.

Let Cleveland think he's soft. He'll turn his typical 90 yard day into a 170 yard day before they realize which Bell has been running against them.

I have always been a Cleveland fan, but that certainly isn't an organization that needs to be putting any bulletin board material up for their opponents.

Comment

Interesting. I guess I'll take 'soft' all year long if he keeps averaging 4.7 yrds a carry. Didn't seem too soft at the end of that Baltimore game either. Perhaps someone is just trying to give you guys hope??

Comment

lol, top, u and i kno ray ray is past his prime, heck even james harrison took him about 4 or 5 yards before he tackled him. this is the part where u say,' james who?'
                        Sounds like the comment that a division rival would say about the best player of an opposing team *laughs*.... he's past his prime, but he's still DAMN good and definitely better than anyone you have on your D... so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                          Sounds like the comment that a division rival would say about the best player of an opposing team *laughs*.... he's past his prime, but he's still DAMN good and definitely better than anyone you have on your D... so it doesn't matter.
                          he isn't the ravens best player...''*laughs*'' i can name 3 or 4 guys better than him, heck he isn't even the best linebacker on the team smart guy. We have willy mcginiest and upcoming rook kameron wimbley who has a couple sacks so far this season.
                          sigpic

Comment

I see. So why don't you go to Silk's post now and answer that? But then, I hope you
                            and your brownies keep believing that of Tater. I want your mind changed only after
                            he has run the ball down your throats.

-----
                            Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 10-22-2006, 12:24 AM. Reason: Getting personal

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                              I see. So why don't you go to Silk's post now and answer that? But then, I hope you
                              and your brownies keep believing that of Tater. I want your mind changed only after
                              he has run the ball down your throats.

BTW, you doing your impression of the 12-year-old AOLer?

-----
                              He made some good points there, remember, these were the scouts who said this, so don't take it up the ___....i luv doing my 12 year old MSN not AoL :nono: impressions... i hope some day in college my english teacher will help me how to use grammar correctly and spell... maybe u can help me?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X