Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resolution approved for international games (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolution approved for international games (Merged)

(Oct. 24, 2006) -- The NFL will stage up to two international regular-season games per season beginning in 2007, further demonstrating the league's commitment to competing in a global sports marketplace and to developing a greater presence beyond the borders of the United States.

NFL club owners approved a resolution at a league meeting in New Orleans today that enables the league office to schedule up to two regular-season games per season outside the United States beginning in 2007 and continuing through at least the 2011 campaign.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first-ever regular-season game outside the United States as the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium -- the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The NFL has engaged in almost 20 years of international activity, including the preseason American Bowl series, the NFL Europe League, grass roots programs and customized television programming.

I added a poll to this thread because I actually disagree with international games. It may sound like a great idea now but what worries me is that in a few years down the road the demand for American Football overseas could be so great that it will eventually start to take away from the game back here in the states. The owners will want to keep feeding the international monster market and more and more games will be played overseas to feed the frenzy. Then international teams could start to form and then what do we do? Play a Superbowl with the Best American Team against China! If they want that then just add football to the damn Olympics. I would love to hear some people's take on this. For real guys this is not a bashing thread. This is just my MHO.
    Yes I'm for International Games
    35.06%
    No I'm not for International Games
    64.94%

Originally posted by Hypnotic
    (Oct. 24, 2006) -- The NFL will stage up to two international regular-season games per season beginning in 2007, further demonstrating the league's commitment to competing in a global sports marketplace and to developing a greater presence beyond the borders of the United States.

NFL club owners approved a resolution at a league meeting in New Orleans today that enables the league office to schedule up to two regular-season games per season outside the United States beginning in 2007 and continuing through at least the 2011 campaign.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first-ever regular-season game outside the United States as the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium -- the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The NFL has engaged in almost 20 years of international activity, including the preseason American Bowl series, the NFL Europe League, grass roots programs and customized television programming.

I added a poll to this thread because I actually disagree with international games. It may sound like a great idea now but what worries me is that in a few years down the road the demand for American Football overseas could be so great that it will eventually start to take away from the game back here in the states. The owners will want to keep feeding the international monster market and more and more games will be played overseas to feed the frenzy. Then international teams could start to form and then what do we do? Play a Superbowl with the Best American Team against China! If they want that then just add football to the damn Olympics. I would love to hear some people's take on this. For real guys this is not a bashing thread. This is just my MHO.
    Sorry, I disslike it...Canada would have been the farthest I would have gone, right now they are giving terrorists one more target, IMHO. They could have done Super Bowls in Canada, or special games...like how Hawaii is, till they get their own NFL Franchise. Seriously I would hoped they would have added more teams then send our boys to a foreign nation...

Comment

The new commissioner has me concerned. It doesn't seem he's all that interested in the fans perspective on some things.

He wants to give all players speakers so they can hear the QB when the crowd is loud. Talk about getting rid of home field advantage.

Now, they want to take 1 home game (for starters) away from some team. The owners will make sure they get paid, but it gives the fans of the home team the shaft.

NFL Europe is our international product. Leave it at that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnotic

First of all it is unfortunate that we now have to worry about a whether or not a post is too negative or considered a bash

I am very dissapointed in the league playing international games. They have their league in Europe already NFL Europe. Terrible idea. What a way for the new President of the League to start out with a stupid idea like this.
        If you love NFL stats and history
        pro-football-reference.com
        jt-sw.com/football

Comment

Originally posted by Breezer
          First of all it is unfortunate that we now have to worry about a whether or not a post is too negative or considered a bash
          Sorry Breezer I posted my poll the same time you posted your message. It is unfortunate that we now have to worry about the bashing threads. But it's become part of the life here on Broncomania.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
            Sorry, I disslike it...Canada would have been the farthest I would have gone, right now they are giving terrorists one more target, IMHO. They could have done Super Bowls in Canada, or special games...like how Hawaii is, till they get their own NFL Franchise. Seriously I would hoped they would have added more teams then send our boys to a foreign nation...
            honsetly...

imo that is a very papranoid way of looking at the whole situation...

terrorism is the last thing that will harm the avarage person...
            Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from choking on food: 1 in 370,035

Chance of dying in a terrorist attack while visiting a foreign country: 1 in 650,000
            and thats in a foreign contry!!!

i do not condone terrorism or any weird crap...

but im an international lover of the game and not getting the wonderful game of football to the rest of the world because you think they will get struck down by terrorist is imo simply absurd...

i hope they go even more international and truly make it a world game...

:2cents:

sigpic

Comment

I don't like it at all. It takes the game away from the fans and the homefield away from the teams.
              RIP Darrent Williams
              You know the difference between winners and losers?

Ya the score.

THE REPLACEMENTS

Comment

All for it

To be fair, I don't think the Broncos would travel to Europe , that will mostly be East Coast sides, and from a logisitical point of view, there would hardly be any more travelling than if they were playing a West Coast team. And on the advertised schedule, it would mean losing a single home game every 16 years.

I'll turn up to any meaningful game played in the UK (don't worry I won't become a Patsie or a Jest fan though ), the problem with the exhibition games is that as fans grew to understand and appreciate the game beyond the razamataz and glitz, they got disillusioned by paying top whack to see the scrubs play error strewn games.

Buccanears or Browns will be the first sides to play in England, both owners also own Premiership sides (Manure & Aston Villa), so they've got Stadiums already in place
                The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by Breezer

I am very dissapointed in the league playing international games. They have their league in Europe already NFL Europe. Terrible idea. What a way for the new President of the League to start out with a stupid idea like this.
                  NFL Europe sucks, no one cares about it here in Britain. If the NFL are serious about making the game more popular around the world then this is the way forward. I would love to be able to watch the Broncos play over here, or any team for that matter. Obviously, it sucks for the team and home fans to lose a home game, but it's not like it would be something that happened every year or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws
                    NFL Europe sucks, no one cares about it here in Britain. If the NFL are serious about making the game more popular around the world then this is the way forward. I would love to be able to watch the Broncos play over here, or any team for that matter. Obviously, it sucks for the team and home fans to lose a home game, but it's not like it would be something that happened every year or anything.
                    i think losing a home game every few years to allow the rest of the world to see what sweet a game gridiron really is, is a very small price to pay imo...

suprisingly, there is far more outside the united states..

other nations, other markets, other people...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
                      honsetly...

imo that is a very papranoid way of looking at the whole situation...

terrorism is the last thing that will harm the avarage person...

and thats in a foreign contry!!!

i do not condone terrorism or any weird crap...

but im an international lover of the game and not getting the wonderful game of football to the rest of the world because you think they will get struck down by terrorist is imo simply absurd...

i hope they go even more international and truly make it a world game...

What? So your saying that targeting a Pro Athete or a team of them is absurd...wow, tell that to the Olympic Athletes! I am not saying it will happen, but it could easily, and what? You know this to be true, maybe you wish the world was warm and fuzzy, but it is not. Not like they will play games in the Middle East, but even our brother nation of England is not completely safe. Look how the futball athletes of Europe get called names: ESPN, HBO and Insiders have had stories on this, like Champ and the Broncs' or any other black member of a team in the NFLwants to go and be called a monkey! And for your information, terrorism is not just Al'Queda, there are many other issues and groups in different forms that could use this to their advantage.

Say what you will, but it is a possibility, just cause it has not happened yet, by giving them a target it could.

Comment

Plus those 2 of those teams will lose a home game...that's HUGE...

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                        2. Taxes
                        3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
                          What? So your saying that targeting a Pro Athete or a team of them is absurd...wow, tell that to the Olympic Athletes! I am not saying it will happen, but it could easily, and what? You know this to be true, maybe you wish the world was warm and fuzzy, but it is not. Not like they will play games in the Middle East, but even our brother nation of England is not completely safe. Look how the futball athletes of Europe get called names: ESPN, HBO and Insiders have had stories on this, like Champ and the Broncs' or any other black member of a team in the NFLwants to go and be called a monkey! And for your information, terrorism is not just Al'Queda, there are many other issues and groups in different forms that could use this to their advantage.

Say what you will, but it is a possibility, just cause it has not happened yet, by giving them a target it could.
                          i understand you are a in the military, and i dig what you do...

but i dont want to make this thread about terrorism...

because its not...

i agree being a high profile national event they would become more threatened than john smith and i...

but please do not state that america is a perfectly secure state...

there is also a very high chance of a stadium being targetted on any given sunday...

in america...

yes...

in america...

because as you said...

and apparently what we both know...

that terrorism can be carried out by one insane weirdo...

in any nation...

i just think that the dangers and the "omg we wont get to see a home game every few years" is far outweighed by the potential markets all around the world...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                            The new commissioner has me concerned. It doesn't seem he's all that interested in the fans perspective on some things.

He wants to give all players speakers so they can hear the QB when the crowd is loud. Talk about getting rid of home field advantage.

Now, they want to take 1 home game (for starters) away from some team. The owners will make sure they get paid, but it gives the fans of the home team the shaft.

NFL Europe is our international product. Leave it at that.

NFL Europe is already a stretch to me. I'm not as open-minded going abroad as some fans are. I could appreciate "special games" outside of the normal football season, but I don't like the idea very much myself. I'm not for globalization of everything by any means, especially American Football.

Nice thread though....good subject!

I meant to say the first time I posted...I agree with you MtnMan!
                            Last edited by His Wife; 10-26-2006, 06:41 AM.
                            "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill (Look him up )

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                              All for it

To be fair, I don't think the Broncos would travel to Europe , that will mostly be East Coast sides, and from a logisitical point of view, there would hardly be any more travelling than if they were playing a West Coast team. And on the advertised schedule, it would mean losing a single home game every 16 years.

I'll turn up to any meaningful game played in the UK (don't worry I won't become a Patsie or a Jest fan though ), the problem with the exhibition games is that as fans grew to understand and appreciate the game beyond the razamataz and glitz, they got disillusioned by paying top whack to see the scrubs play error strewn games.

Buccanears or Browns will be the first sides to play in England, both owners also own Premiership sides (Manure & Aston Villa), so they've got Stadiums already in place
                              Hmm that's interesting. So now do the fans from the UK still like American Football? In american money how much did it cost to see the exhibition games?
                              Last edited by Hypnotic; 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X