Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Cutler, Plummer know the score" & "Dumervil making up for lost time" (Two articles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cutler, Plummer know the score" & "Dumervil making up for lost time" (Two articles)

Just passing along another couple of Bronco articles from the Newswire for your enjoyment:
    Cutler, Plummer know the score

DENVER -- Jay Cutler knows the most popular player on any
    team is the backup quarterback.

So, he's not surprised by all the speculation that he'll be
    replacing Jake Plummer any day now even though the Denver Broncos
    are 5-1 and atop the AFC West thanks to a five-game winning streak.

"I think it's like that anywhere the starting quarterback is
    struggling," Cutler said Wednesday. "They've got that problem in
    Dallas right now. Tony Romo might not be the answer, I might not be
    the answer here. We're going to support Jake until the time comes
    to take him out."

And Cutler said he's gotten no indication whatsoever from the
    coaching staff that his time is near.

"Jake's still the quarterback, and I'm the backup," Cutler
    said. "I'm going to do the same thing I've been doing all year,
    and so is Jake."

Well, Plummer hopes not exactly.

Plummer ranks 32nd in the NFL in passer rating; he's thrown four
    touchdown passes and has been intercepted seven times already, as
    many as he had all of last season.

So, Plummer said, he, too, can see why so many fans are calling
    for Cutler.

"I'm never surprised by anything around here," Plummer said.
    "Just keep playing ball, that's all I'm going to do."

Plummer said the constant speculation about his job doesn't
    affect him, either.

"It can't bother me. If it bothered me then I wouldn't be able
    to withstand much pressure ever," Plummer insisted. "I can't
    control what Mr. Jones outside of this building says. I can't go
    put words in his mouth. Whatever the speculation is or rumors, I've
    got to go out and play hard and keep trying to win."

Cutler was prepared to mostly watch and learn this season anyway
    after the Broncos moved up in the draft to select him with the 11th
    overall pick out of Vanderbilt because Plummer was coming off his
    best season ever, one in which he led the Broncos to the cusp of
    the Super Bowl.

But Cutler did say that when his time comes, he won't
    disappoint.

"I'm going to be ready. I prepare mentally throughout the week,
    and I get my reps in practices from time to time. I'm going to be
    ready," Cutler said. "The game plans have been similar
    week-to-week, so I've been learning as we go."

Still, Cutler said he's not exactly sure where he stands in his
    development.

"I haven't been getting a lot of reps in practice, and I
    haven't played in a game," he said. "So we'll find out if I ever
    get in there."

Cutler was the third of the "Big Three" quarterbacks in the
    NFL draft in April, and he acknowledges that he pines for his
    chance as he watches Tennessee's Vince Young and Arizona's Matt
    Leinart already starting.

"Of course. You can ask a lot of the guys in here that aren't
    playing. Everyone wants to play, everyone wants to do their part
    and get in there and get a chance," Cutler said. "When that time
    comes, I'm going to be happy and do my best."
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Here's the second one:
    Dumervil making up for lost time

DENVER -- Elvis Dumervil knew all along he could rush the
    passer in the NFL despite his diminutive size.

But could the man who led the nation with 20 sacks at Louisville
    last year, when he set an NCAA record with 10 forced fumbles, play
    special teams? That was the question.

Unconvinced, the Denver Broncos deactivated the 5-foot-11
    defensive end for the first three weeks of the season.

"Special teams, that's what I had to get better at," Dumervil
    said. "And I knew once I got that down, I'd get my chance to do my
    thing on defense."

Working as hard on kick and punt coverage as he did on rushing
    the passer, Dumervil's efforts paid off when he finally made his
    debut against Baltimore on Oct. 9.

He did nothing that night to foreshadow what was to come,
    however.

Over the last two weeks, he's recorded five sacks -- a sixth was
    wiped out by a teammate's penalty -- and he's added another dynamic
    dimension to the Broncos' stifling defense that has held five
    straight opponents below double digits.

"I'm just glad to contribute to this defense," said Dumervil,
    who plays on passing downs but is good against the run, too. "I
    sat around and watched how well they were playing in the beginning
    and I knew I could help."

Dumervil's five sacks are the most by a rookie in a two-game
    period since Cincinnati's Justin Smith did it in 2001. His three
    sacks against Cleveland last week -- to go along with a fumble
    recovery -- tied a team rookie record set by Rulon Jones in 1980.

"Elvis is a natural pass rusher. He has that natural knack for
    it," defensive end Demetrin Veal said. "He has a natural feel for
    offensive linemen and how a quarterback sets up. This is what he
    did in college. He's doing it now."

Dumervil's 20 sacks last year were the second-most in NCAA
    Division I history.

The Broncos are expecting him to get extra attention now,
    starting Sunday when Denver (5-1) faces the Indianapolis Colts
    (6-0) in the premiere matchup of the weekend.

"There are young guys that have come in, obviously played well
    as rookies, and then all of a sudden they start getting
    double-teamed a little bit more," coach Mike Shanahan said. "Then
    the sacks don't come quite as quick."

Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer said the true test will be how
    Dumervil adjusts to the increased attention, but "he's got
    something, there's no question."

Dumervil's stock sank on draft day, mostly because of his short
    stature -- the very thing Dumervil believes works to his advantage
    because he gains leverage on offensive linemen who are usually six
    to seven inches taller.

His 33-inch arms are extraordinary for a man of his height.

"Usually a guy with that length of arms is about 6-7,"
    Shanahan said. "That's a little bit unusual, but it obviously
    helps with the pass rush."
    ------

Comment

DOES Cutler really know the score?

I hope Cutler knows what this fanbase has in store for him.

Comment

Thanks for the articles man... Both are very good reads.

The only problem I have with either is this...

"I can't control what Mr. Jones outside of this building says. I can't go
        put words in his mouth."

But to an extent, yes he can. If he started playing with some positive consistency, he would find a whole lot of "Mr. Joneses" Would start shutting up. Problem is, when things have been as bad as they have, with no strides towards improvement, Mr Jones has no reason to be quiet, and a whole lot of reasons to complain.

I think it's entirely possible for him to control what "Mr. Jones" (being the crowd in general) says, but he's the one that's got to turn the around on the field before that ever happens.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed
          I hope Cutler knows what this fanbase has in store for him.
          Probably the same thing the great majority had for Jake when he got here... An overwhelming sense of relief.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam

put words in his mouth."

But to an extent, yes he can. If he started playing with some positive consistency, he would find a whole lot of "Mr. Joneses" Would start shutting up. Problem is, when things have been as bad as they have, with no strides towards improvement, Mr Jones has no reason to be quiet, and a whole lot of reasons to complain.

I think it's entirely possible for him to control what "Mr. Jones" (being the crowd in general) says, but he's the one that's got to turn the around on the field before that ever happens.
            I have been thinking that maybe Cutler should be starting lately, but if Jake is going to be the starter, I guess we need to support him. He is not playing the greatest, but it isn't like he isn't trying. I am sure he would like to play better, but sometime things don't work out in life. If he could just snap his fingers and make everything work perfectly I am sure he would. I have to agree that he can't worry what everyone is saying.
            If you love NFL stats and history
            pro-football-reference.com
            jt-sw.com/football

Comment

Good to hear that Cutler is really confident in his abilities.

Also interested to see how Elvis does when he gets that extra attention.

Good posts,

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
              - Carl Sagan

Comment

put words in his mouth."

He can influence what the fan base will think but even with positive consistancy, there will always be a group of people, I feel, that are waiting for him to break, always a group of people that are going to say:

"It's the playoffs. Time for Jake to backstab us once again."

Always waiting for him to break. Not because they hate him, but because they don't have confidence he can take us the whole 9 yards. They'll see consistancy only as a period until he will break again.

Jake's past experiences will still overshadow many of the current rare moments of consistancy he shows and people will be expecting and waiting for him to break.

Point being, he can't control what people see/think/expect, but he can influence some people who are willing to not exclusively see him as the detriment to all who is living.

I'm not naming any names nor making any left-handed comments towards anyone necessarily.
                sigpic

:cool: 150 lbs of pure steel and sex appeal. :cool:

D.J. 55's Mock Draft:

:logo:
                Denver Broncos General Manager

Comment

I feel for Jay.

If and when he starts taking game snaps, he has this to look forward to.

The constant speculation, the constant nit picking, and the constant blame placing that will go along with any struggles he may face as a starting QB.

He would get this where ever he were to play, there is no doubt, its just that Denver is the worst place to be a QB in the league.

You need look no further than the leader of this team from the not so distant past to see what happens to even the great ones when they struggle.

Enough from me, I was really hoping that the new blanket program would lead to less of the same thing. Although stuff seems to be more frendly, its still over done and far to often for my tastes.

I think ill go and enjoy this season, 5-1 no matter ho wwe got there is a sweet start.

Comment

Originally posted by Krugan
                    I feel for Jay.

If and when he starts taking game snaps, he has this to look forward to.

The constant speculation, the constant nit picking, and the constant blame placing that will go along with any struggles he may face as a starting QB.

He would get this where ever he were to play, there is no doubt, its just that Denver is the worst place to be a QB in the league.

You need look no further than the leader of this team from the not so distant past to see what happens to even the great ones when they struggle.

Enough from me, I was really hoping that the new blanket program would lead to less of the same thing. Although stuff seems to be more frendly, its still over done and far to often for my tastes.

I think ill go and enjoy this season, 5-1 no matter ho wwe got there is a sweet start.
                    I know what you mean. A QB's job is tough. On the other hand, I'm not sure Bronco fans react that differently than fans of other teams. When the guy is playing well and the team is winning, fans are happy with him. But if either isn't true, fans get restless (and a few get angry).

We see the complaining about Jake and Griese because we're here and this is our favorite team. But I believe the same thing goes on for other teams as well.

I guess this is one of the reasons QBs get paid so much.
                    ------

Comment

Originally posted by Breezer
                      I have been thinking that maybe Cutler should be starting lately, but if Jake is going to be the starter, I guess we need to support him. He is not playing the greatest, but it isn't like he isn't trying. I am sure he would like to play better, but sometime things don't work out in life. If he could just snap his fingers and make everything work perfectly I am sure he would. I have to agree that he can't worry what everyone is saying.
                      I think you are mostly right, and all I will say in reply is this...

Jake has had lots of support since coming here. And when things have gone badly in the past, we always heard...

"It takes 3 years for a QB to fully grasp a system." And the like.

I followed along like a good little sheep, and convinced myself that, "Yes, after he has had sufficient time to get used to the system and his receivers , he will become the QB we all hope for."

When is enough, enough?

The Pitt game was enough for me. And not a single thing has changed since. Except us doing even more to help him, by acquiring weapons such as Javon Walker (who is light years ahead of Lelie).

And you can't tell me that since starting camp in what June, that they haven't had enough time to "gell". They are with each other multiple times a week, for months on end, and chemistry should already be there by now.

I for one have had enough, and been given no reason to change my mind.

Comment

Jake has had lots of support since coming here. And when things have gone badly in the past, we always heard...

I followed along like a good little sheep, and convinced myself that, "Yes, after he has had sufficient time to get used to the system and his receivers , he will become the QB we all hope for."

When is enough, enough?

The Pitt game was enough for me. And not a single thing has changed since. Except us doing even more to help him, by acquiring weapons such as Javon Walker (who is light years ahead of Lelie).

And you can't tell me that since starting camp in what June, that they haven't had enough time to "gell". They are with each other multiple times a week, for months on end, and chemistry should already be there by now.

"You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to BroncoFanCam again."

Beautiful post. 100% accurate. Couldn't agree more. Right on!! :thumb: :clap:
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                          I know what you mean. A QB's job is tough. On the other hand, I'm not sure Bronco fans react that differently than fans of other teams. When the guy is playing well and the team is winning, fans are happy with him. But if either isn't true, fans get restless (and a few get angry).

We see the complaining about Jake and Griese because we're here and this is our favorite team. But I believe the same thing goes on for other teams as well.

What about the love? If you perform you can be Elway, Favre, Mcnabb, and many more. They all had rough starts to their careers. Many different circumstances. The one thing I know is that those players are beloved by the city where they play. I prefer to think I cant wait for Cutler to feel the love of the bronco nation. He'll have to play through some tough times but all the great ones do.

If a player underachieves at any position there just wont be any love. That's a fact. That's not exclusive to the bronco nation.

Leaf and Couch had haters. 1st round picks that didnt perform.

There are also players like Plummer, Maddox, Stewart and many more that have won games but never got all the love. Some fans love em while others are ready to move on. :2cents:

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

Only when teams/franchises/fans become "used" to the idea of losing do they sit idly by, while their team, or certain players inparticular don't meet expectations.

Comment

When is enough, enough?

You have given out too much Contributor Status in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Great post.

Comment

Working...
                              X