Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plummer at pivotal point in Denver: (Denver Post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plummer at pivotal point in Denver: (Denver Post)

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4569900

Plummer at pivotal point in Denver:
    This is Jake Plummer's last, best chance to win back the heart of a Broncos town ready to move on without him.

If he cannot defeat Indianapolis, a team Denver has been meticulously built to beat since being blown out twice by the Colts in recent NFL postseasons, then what is the point of keeping Plummer as the starting quarterback?

"Any time you have an undefeated team coming to your place and we're 5-1, it's a big game. It sends a statement. It doesn't mean you're going to win the Super Bowl, by any means. But it sends a statement to everybody that you can beat the big ones, too," Plummer said during his weekly media address, which might be the longest five minutes in Denver sports.

This is the last, best chance of a condemned quarterback to make a statement on his behalf.

If Plummer cannot beat Peyton Manning in a big game, then why further delay the grooming of rookie Jay Cutler to become the Denver quarterback who can?

This is a big one. No doubt. The winner of the game claims the inside track to the AFC's top seed in the playoffs.

In a city whose heart bleeds orange, the last time hearts ached with such anticipation for a kickoff was nine months ago.

And we all know how that turned out.

Pittsburgh 34, Broncos 17. A quarterback wearing No. 7 played like a hero. For the wrong team. Plummer rolled snake eyes for Denver. True-blue Broncomanics still have emotional scars.

And Plummer has stunk for nine months.

Through seven straight games with Plummer at the controls, the Denver offense has failed to score 20 points.

In his past seven starts, Plummer has thrown five touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

The Broncos are not winning with Plummer; they are winning in spite of him.

I know. We've all heard it. In the NFL, quarterbacks get too much of the credit and the blame. This city sticks its nose in a QB's private business, whether the subject is a fender bender or marriage. Who cares if Plummer shaves his beard or combs his hair? Not me. But, fair or not, Denver cares.

Plummer does not play politics. If teammates did not like him so much, it would be easier for coach Mike Shanahan to bench him.

Plummer is real and raw. Which is cool, so long as you play great football. Otherwise, you're a slacker with a chin strap.

When is Cutler going to be ready for some football?

The rookie says he's ready to go.

And, frankly, we're tired of waiting for Plummer to grow up.

Two games in eight days - Indy at home and Pittsburgh on the road - might not define the Broncos' 2006 season. But two losses could all but end Plummer's career in Denver.

It's obvious Shanahan does not trust Plummer as far as the QB can throw a pass left-handed. The leash on Plummer is choking the creativity from Denver's offense.

Should the Broncos stumble to the midway point of the season with a 5-3 record, then Shanahan would be foolish not to begin the Cutler era before Plummer gets booed out of town.

What do the quarterbacks of the Colts and Broncos have in common? Well, in one of his television commercials, Manning wears a goofy moustache. Which is the only time anyone might mistake him for Jake.

Somebody asked Shanahan last week if Manning needs a championship ring to shine in the faces of his doubters.

"I'm not sure if you can ever be considered the best without winning a Super Bowl. No," Shanahan said. "Well, I am not saying that you couldn't be the best. You asked me if you can be considered the best by people.

"I think it is very hard to be unless you win championships. I think that is what separates the great ones from the very good ones. Peyton is as good as it gets. I believe that just watching him and studying him, he is very impressive, very impressive.

"But I think that Peyton Manning would be the first one to tell you that he is going to be judged by winning the big games. The great ones are."

Plummer is a mediocre NFL quarterback. Nothing more. Nothing less. He is holding a seat warm until the next great one is ready.

Lose another big game, and that seat will get a whole lot hotter.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Yawn

Comment

Originally posted by jmag
      Yawn
      I thought meant... coffee.

And maybe that meant yawn...

I guess you learn something every day.

Comment

Hard hitting and really as honest as you can get
        SPORT IS LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY,...IF YOU DONT FOCUS,YOU JUST GET NEGATIVES

Born-1990
        Got ipod- 2004

Oh! this one time i saw a blimp!

Comment

Originally posted by jmag
          Yawn
          LMAO, you beat me to it

You can't make sweeping genralisations prior to the game.

Jake & the offense could have a break out game, and put 35 points on the board and still lose if the D has a collective brain-fart like they have had in the past against the Colts..........or as the team collectively had against Pittsburgh last year.

So far this year, other than the Rams game, we have just about created enough offence to get the job done........and I believe that is more down to some conservatism by Shanny rather than a distrust of Jake.

If Jake was the (sole) problem, why do we completely seem to have removed the easy completions (TEs & Backs) from our offense? Alexander is primarily a blocker, and Scheffs not turned it on yet.
          The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
          BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
          You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
            I thought meant... coffee.

And maybe that meant yawn...

I guess you learn something every day.
            keep it in your pants camo...

its game day/ night...

be a little positive...

we all know plummer aint a manning...

but its my hope that him being in and jay being on the sideline is the right thing for jays development...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
              LMAO, you beat me to it

You can't make sweeping genralisations prior to the game.

Jake & the offense could have a break out game, and put 35 points on the board and still lose if the D has a collective brain-fart like they have had in the past against the Colts..........or as the team collectively had against Pittsburgh last year.

So far this year, other than the Rams game, we have just about created enough offence to get the job done........and I believe that is more down to some conservatism by Shanny rather than a distrust of Jake.

If Jake was the (sole) problem, why do we completely seem to have removed the easy completions (TEs & Backs) from our offense? Alexander is primarily a blocker, and Scheffs not turned it on yet.
              Because jake doesn't make progressions, he fixates on the intended target and looks nowhere else.

Last week he made one good look to another receiver before throwing it to Marshall for the score. Him looking away for even a second gave him the separation he needed to get the ball in there.

A few weeks ago, he made a nice pump-fake, which resulted in big yards too, problem is, he does these things once in a blue moon. When he does, things open up, but 95% of the time he is glued to one person, waiting fopr them to get some room.

Watch the DB's on passing downs, they are all starring right at Plummer's helmet, where it points, so goes the ball. .

Comment

the article tells it exactly how Chris Mortensen said it last week, and mid week Mortensen stuck by his info. 100%, and Shanny didn't deny it.

Bill Williamson said something similar at the very bottom of one of his articles today as well.

When the same scenarios for Jake and Jay are being shared from many different people, there has got to be some truth to that line of thinking from within the organization.

And btw, we're not just struggling on offense, we're completing 50% of our passes and have the second to last scoring offense in the league. That is not a pace we can maintain if the Broncos hope to continue to win going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by anton...
                  keep it in your pants camo...

its game day/ night...

be a little positive...

we all know plummer aint a manning...

but its my hope that him being in and jay being on the sideline is the right thing for jays development...

It's hard to argue that being able to sit back and soak everything in ISN'T a good thing for a rookie to be able to do.

What effect that has on the "W" column, we will know by the end of next week.

These two games are the meat of the schedule. If we can pull them out, then that will go a VERY LONG way to calming a lot of the worries that exist around here. If we don't come out on top (at least one of them) it will only validate those concerns.

GO BRONCOS!!!!

Comment

It's hard to argue that being able to sit back and soak everything in ISN'T a good thing for a rookie to be able to do.

What effect that has on the "W" column, we will know by the end of next week.

These two games are the meat of the schedule. If we can pull them out, then that will go a VERY LONG way to calming a lot of the worries that exist around here. If we don't come out on top (at least one of them) it will only validate those concerns.

GO BRONCOS!!!!
                    GO BRONCOS!!!! indeed...

im getting sleepy...

game time 8:20 am...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                      the article tells it exactly how Chris Mortensen said it last week, and mid week Mortensen stuck by his info. 100%, and Shanny didn't deny it.

Bill Williamson said something similar at the very bottom of one of his articles today as well.

When the same scenarios for Jake and Jay are being shared from many different people, there has got to be some truth to that line of thinking from within the organization.

And btw, we're not just struggling on offense, we're completing 50% of our passes and have the second to last scoring offense in the league. That is not a pace we can maintain if the Broncos hope to continue to win going forward.
                      Well said jlet...

Comment

GO BRONCOS!!!! indeed...

im getting sleepy...

game time 8:20 am...

2:15PM Mountain Time (It's almost 7AM there now)

7:15AM Queensland time

Did you guys just change clocks???

Comment

2:15PM Mountain Time (It's almost 7AM there now)

7:15AM Queensland time

Did you guys just change clocks???
                          yeah...

last night...

i hate how you guys dont have to do it...

sigpic

Comment

yeah...

last night...

i hate how you guys dont have to do it...
                            It's crapola...

It's all the cow's faults... Just ask the farmers/ranchers... (idiots)

Comment

It's crapola...

It's all the cow's faults... Just ask the farmers/ranchers... (idiots)

DO I LOOK LIKE A DAMN FARMER TO YOU?!?!?!?!

:shake:

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X