What I honestly think lost us the game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mojo0730
    There was no pass rush, and if you give Peyton 4-6 seconds to throw the ball (not that he needed that much time), he's going to complete passes. That was part of it.
    This is the key. I have pointed this our several times, but many people seem to miss it. It has been said countless times, a DB can only cover a WR for so long, and if the QB has all the time he needs in the pocket, it is only a matter of time until a WR gets open.

Of course Williams is going to lose coverage quicker than Champ, and therefore get 'picked' on, but the real problem wasn't Williams on most of those plays, but the amount of time that Manning had, and the fact that his white uniform was still white after the game.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I think it's unfair to blame Williams. Yes, he did get burned out there a lot. But that would have happened to any corner playing other than Champ, who is the best corner in the league.

There was no pass rush, and if you give Peyton 4-6 seconds to throw the ball (not that he needed that much time), he's going to complete passes. That was part of it.

The other part was, as Darrent was getting burned and there was no pass rush to speak of, Denver failed to adjust to give him support with either the safety or another corner. Denver played a second year cornerback in man zone against Reggie Wayne, who is essentially the #1A receiver for the Colts and would be #1 on any other team.

That is why we lost the game. Plain and simple. It wasn't the offense. It wasn't Jake Plummer. It wasn't the running game. Our defensive scheme failed, and Manning burned us.

That's called adjusting, Coyer. Figure it out!

(Seems to me a good idea - and one I would have hoped is being employed already - is to have a whole alternative defensive game plan ready on deck in case the one that we start the game with isn't working. Then it would be possible to actually switch in the midst of a game. Not even wait for a halftime locker-room pep-talk, for that matter. Wait until one TD exposes your D (or at most, 2). ...Like I said, though, I would hope an organization of coaches who call themselves professionals would have already figured this out - and be able to pull it off!)

Here's hoping we don't let another game slip from our grasp in the same fashion this season. Our offense had this game won, for pete's sake. For a change, it was our defense that lost it for the team (and us fans).

sigpic
      They're your teammates, now.
      Best of luck, TT!
      ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava
        Doesnt matter who the CB is, man defense will get beat with the comeback route every time, cause the defensive focus was avoiding the long pass. What they should have done is play a safety over the top, especially on wayne, so that williams could stay underneath and try to pick the damn thing off. Coyer never makes an adjustment, every single game Wayne just does as he pleases. Even if we switched it up and put champ on wayne then double harrison. We should tried somethig different, i cant believe we fail to make any adjustments game after game when we play them. Its really aggervating.

Amen to that!
        sigpic
        They're your teammates, now.
        Best of luck, TT!
        ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

That does not follow.

Originally posted by ERDocBroncosFan
          Then Manning would have had about another 70+ yards after the punt.

Don't even try to pin this loss on Plummer or the offense. Another fickle one among us. You must have been sitting in my section.

What if the player in your sig actually successfully defended 25% of the passes thrown his way? Yes, it would have been a broncos win.
          In the entire game Manning had one drive that went for 70+ yards. One. Conclusion: our D must suck. Even if Manning DOES engineer a TD drive after a punt (which is possible, but not a given; there was only one Colts TD drive that started inside their 40) it takes time off the clock, time that they needed for the game winning FG drive.

Not pointing fingers, just making an observation; if the fumble doesn't happen a lot of things that happened subsequently might not have either. Maybe the offense doesn't go from 14-6 to 20-14 early in the third quarter, doesn't feel pressured to get back in the game, and the Colts win it 16-14 with a last second FG. Oh, wait, they did win it with a last second FG....

And for all the people who want to go after our DL, I'd like to point out something: Peyton Manning's been sacked seven times this year. That's one per game. So they beat their average against us, but that's not why they won. I know what I'd like to see worked on, but I'm not prepared to assign blame, as such, to anyone. Yes, the fumble hurt us, no mistake, but Reggie Waynes three TDs hurt us, too; making it 14-6 at the end of the first half and not taking the opening kick of the 2nd half down field to make it 21-6 (at which point it's pretty much lights out for Indy) hurt us, a pass rush would've been nice, another 50 yard run after the first one on the last drive would've been sweet. It was a close game and both teams played well, but the better team on that day won. Here's hoping we learned a few things (and two people in particular learned a lot) and we beat 'em in the playoffs. Or at least win all our games; I don't really care how we win the Super Bowl as long as it's clean and we DO win it.

The D's been carrying us for a year and a half; let's not throw them under the bus just yet, OK?
          SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Living in the 'what if' mode for a second, I would have called a safe pass play on 1st and 10, maybe a dump off for about five yards to one of the backs or a quick out to Smith or Walker. Then it would have been 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 6, and you could have ran it on second down, gaining 1-2 yards even, and it would have put you in a much more comfortable 3rd and 3 or 4, where you had your whole playbook to use, and kept the Colts defense off guard. They knew Jake was passing, and they pressured him into making a quick, inaccurate throw.

Granted, a lot could have happened on my play calling. But this was what I was expecting. I sure wouldn't have given it to Tatum, who was struggling almost the entire game, on first down.
            Mojo, I totally agree with ur playcalling, 3rd and 3 or 4 would have been MUCH more comfortable then the defense wud have had more room for error in their judgement, the broncos could have run it or used Jake Plummer to scramble to the outside for a short pass in bounds to keep the clock running or used the speed we all know he has and ran for a short gain for a first down and do a quarterback slide to keep himself safe Unfortunately this world does not run on what ifs, maybe once i perfect that time machine...(I'm kidding all u science people who know more about science then i ever will, i sucked at science haha)
            Here's hoping Champ gets into the Hall First Ballot. He deserves it!

Comment

I disagree.

Originally posted by rockrules40
              the thing that lost us the game was that the colts scored more points than us

I think it's because we scored less than them. Le's fight.
              SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Working...
              X