Coyer Needs To Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Italianmobstr7
    Coyer needs to stay! He did an awesome job for the first 6 1/2 weeks. 1 bad half of football doesn't cost a coach his job!
    Which of the two bad halfs of the indy game did you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
      Which of the two bad halfs of the indy game did you mean?
      yeah... having the colts get into our red zone and walk away with 6 WHOPPING points in the first half REALLY showed some bad play huh? I don't think you even watch the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnotic
        No way dude!! Coyer for president. He helps us win all the big games.
        Which big games were those:
        STl 320 total yards 32:49 TOP. L 9 Passing 1st downs 6 rushing 1st downs #8 offense
        KC 318 total yards, 31.39 TOP. W without their best QB and Olineman. #15
        NE 370 total yards, 28:15 TOP W 18 passing first downs. #11
        BAL 257 total yards 31:49 TOP W 8 Passing 1st downs #26
        OAK 244 total yards 31:46 TOP W 10 Passing 1st downs #32
        CLE 165 total yards 22:45 TOP W 9 Passing 1st downs #31
        IND 437 total yards 28:57 TOP L 18 Passing 1st downs #2

Avg yards per game for the nfl 316. DEN allows 295, CHI 245, SAN 265
        Avg TOP allowed 29.53

Folks this defense is nothing special other than keeping a couple of sad offenses out of the endzone.

Comment

STl 320 total yards 32:49 TOP. L 9 Passing 1st downs 6 rushing 1st downs #8 offense

Avg TOP allowed 29.53

Folks this defense is nothing special other than keeping a couple of sad offenses out of the endzone.
          But... didn't you say that it doesn't matter how Jake plays as long as he wins? Isn't it the same thing with the defense? Yards don't matter if the other team isn't scoring... right? St Louis isn't a 'sad' offense. These same 'sad' offenses are scoring on other teams in the NFL week in and week out. If they are so 'sad' then how come they aren't being kept out of the endzone by everyone else??

Folks.. this defense IS special. Don't over look what they have accomplished. Something that NO OTHER defense has accomplished in over 70 years. They may not be the GREATEST defense in NFL history.. but they ARE special.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos72690
            Coyer needs to stay. He did awesome during the first six weeks. My concern was defending the short passing game. I know he didn't want to give up a big play, but if they drive down the field using short passes, then its just like giving up a big play, only it took longer.
            But he did give up the TD when teh WR blew by the CB. So what is the difference trying to keep the WR in front of you without trying to disrupt the pass timing by chucking them inside the LOS 5 yard area. Or letting them blow by and maintain the rhythm..

Sorry I did not see any difference. Could not hurt to try a chuck or two.

Comment

Originally posted by legend111
              PATS DID NOT ALOW PAYTON TO THROW 1 TD IN THE POST SEASON THE YEAR MANNING THROW FOR 49 TDS'.

THIS IS ALSO THE YEAR THE POOLE AND TY LAW WERE HURT.
              TROY BROWN WAS PLAYING CORNERBACK AND RANDLE GAY WHO WAS WACTHING FOOTBALL ON HIS COUCH JUST WEEKS PRIOR.

IN THAT GAME THEY WOULD SOMETIMES DROP BACK 9 DEFENDERS TO HELP WITH THE CURL AND SLANT ROUTES AND THEY WOULD IGNORE THE PLAYACTION AND KNOCK JAMES DOWN WHICH TOOK him out as a reciver option.

THE COLTS ONLY MANAGED 6PTS THAT GAME

COYER TELLS BRONCOS FANS THAT the patriots broken down defense was better then our current defense with that perfoemance on Sunday. You can't sitback the entire game and play a simple ZOne defense on 9 YEAR VET WHO BIGGEST WEAKNESS IS PRESSURE. YOU HAVE TO DISGUISE YOUR DEFENSE SHOW BLITZ THEN DROP BACK SHOW DO SOMETHING. DON'T JUST SIT THERE, PLAYING ZONE THE ENTIRE GAME.

I'M FROM DENVER BUT I HAVE LIVED IN Indy for the past 6 years
              Denver defense lookk worst then the titans defense who only allowed 14 points in Indy.

Coyer needs to go the talent on our defense has made coyer look good
              I MEAN COME ON LOOK AT HOW MANY FIRST ROUND PICS WE GOT OUT THERE.

LET ALONE WE HAVE CORNERBACK WHO QB'S ARE SCARED TO THROW ON CHAMP SHUTS DOWN YOUR TOP RECIVER SO YOUR NUMBER 2 WIDEOUT BETTER BE GOOD

wAYNE, HARRISON , CLARK , ADDAI ARE ALL FIRST ROUND PICS.
              BLA BLA BLA, qit being an armchair quarterback.
              sigpic

Comment

I tend to agree Coyer needs to go, he has no idea how to stop a high power offence that throws the ball all the time. There is now way Peyton and Reggie Wayne should have been allowed to do what they did in the 2nd half when u have Champ Locking down one side where is the help to DW's side??????????????????????????????????????? :brick:
                sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Maybe Coyer isn't a defensive mastermind. But he does three things better than most:

1. Brings players together; builds a team. It may sound trite but if you've been part of a team in a stressful environment with some egos...it's no small thing.
                  2. Chooses the right things to focus on in practice (e.g. spending a disproportionate amount of time on red zone defense this season)
                  3. Cares about his players and his team

If Coyer didn't do these things as well as he did, the organization would be much less effective than it is. He's one of those guys that's responsible for the Demetrin Veals of this world WANTING to stay in Denver because they like the organization.

It's not all X's and O's.

Even so, it seems clear that Coyer will be defined by the 'Colts shortcoming' unless he finds a solution in their January meeting *knocks on wood* (which I hope happens, so the D can settle the score).

Comment

I'm not saying that the Denver Broncos defense is the '85 Bears... but lets look at the 'sad' teams they had to play. They are, after all, considered by many to be the greatest defense ever to play.

So lets look at who they played the first 7 weeks of the season in '85.

Chicago in 1985:

* Tampa Bay...... (0-7)..... 38-28
                    New England ..... (4-3)..... 20-7
                    * Minnesota ...... (4-3)..... 38-24
                    Washington....... (3-4)...... 45-10
                    *Tampa Bay....... (0-7) ...... 27-19
                    San Fran ........... (3-4) ...... 26-10
                    Green Bay......... (3-4) ...... 23-7 *=Division games

{Chicago's division was TB (2-14), Minnesota (7-9), Green Bay (8-8), Detroit (7-9)}

Through the first 7 games of the year... Chicago played teams with a record of 17-32. TWO of the teams they had played have a winning record up to this point in the season. Through the first 7 games of the year, they had an average of 13.7 points scored against them.

Denver in 2006:

St. Louis .......... (4-3) 10-18
                    *Kansas City.... (4-3) 9-6
                    New England... (6-1) 17-7
                    Baltimore ........ (5-2) 13-3
                    *Oakland........ (2-5) 13-3
                    Cleveland....... (2-5) 17-7
                    Indy............... (7-0) 31-34

Denver's season oppenents record through the first 7 games 30-19. Denver has played 5 teams with a winning record and average 11.14 points against us per game.

The point is simple. EVERY team in the NFL plays 'sad' oppenents. Even GREAT teams in history faced 'sad' offenses. That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, and it doesn't take away from what we have accomplished.
                    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 11-02-2006, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                      I'm not saying that the Denver Broncos defense is the '85 Bears... but lets look at the 'sad' teams they had to play. They are, after all, considered by many to be the greatest defense ever to play.

So lets look at who they played the first 7 weeks of the season in '85.

Chicago in 1985:

* Tampa Bay...... (0-7)..... 38-28
                      New England ..... (4-3)..... 20-7
                      * Minnesota ...... (4-3)..... 38-24
                      Washington....... (3-4)...... 45-10
                      *Tampa Bay....... (0-7) ...... 27-19
                      San Fran ........... (3-4) ...... 26-10
                      Green Bay......... (3-4) ...... 23-7 *=Division games

{Chicago's division was TB (2-14), Minnesota (7-9), Green Bay (8-8), Detroit (7-9)}

Through the first 7 games of the year... Chicago played teams with a record of 17-32. TWO of the teams they had played have a winning record up to this point in the season. Through the first 7 games of the year, they had an average of 13.7 points scored against them.

Denver in 2006:

St. Louis .......... (4-3) 10-18
                      *Kansas City.... (4-3) 9-6
                      New England... (6-1) 17-7
                      Baltimore ........ (5-2) 13-3
                      *Oakland........ (2-5) 13-3
                      Cleveland....... (2-5) 17-7
                      Indy............... (7-0) 31-34

Denver's season oppenents record through the first 7 games 30-19. Denver has played 5 teams with a winning record and average 11.14 points against us per game.

The point is simple. EVERY team in the NFL plays 'sad' oppenents. Even GREAT teams in history faced 'sad' offenses. That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, and it doesn't take away from what we have accomplished.

<yet the incomprehensible mob squeal:>

"Denver is overrated. They are a bunch of hype."

Rav: "But here's the facts. Can you please stare truth in the face?"

"Denver is overrated. They are a bunch of hype."

What was that line about quarrelling with a fool?

Comment

i personally think that coyer has no answers for indy, no matter how much talent we have on d.
                        sigpic

Comment

Or you could look at it another way... Sounds like nobody doubts that we have a substandard pass rush, at least in keeping with the other great defenses over the years... Now put Coyer's numbers up there, knowing that he's got a good D going so well without having that (IMO) most critical element to any great D, which is an unstoppable pass rush. I, for one, would love to see just how good Coyer's "SCHEMES" are when he has all the pieces in place. I think he does a pretty good job for not having that available to him. No scheme is going to matter if the QB (especially Manning) has all the time in the world, not even jamming WR's at the line (unless we flat-out tackled them). Coyer does pretty well with what he's got.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv
                            Or you could look at it another way... Sounds like nobody doubts that we have a substandard pass rush, at least in keeping with the other great defenses over the years... Now put Coyer's numbers up there, knowing that he's got a good D going so well without having that (IMO) most critical element to any great D, which is an unstoppable pass rush. I, for one, would love to see just how good Coyer's "SCHEMES" are when he has all the pieces in place. I think he does a pretty good job for not having that available to him. No scheme is going to matter if the QB (especially Manning) has all the time in the world, not even jamming WR's at the line (unless we flat-out tackled them). Coyer does pretty well with what he's got.
                            THis is exactly right. Bumping the receiver at the LoS when Manning has alll the time in the world isn't going to help.. period. Our pass rush has been adaquate all year...but it certainly showed just how lack luster and pathetic it is against Indy. That being said, you can't expect a DB to stick with a receiver for that long.

Comment

Avg TOP allowed 29.53

Dude I was being sarcastic! The big games to me are Steelers game, Chiefs at Arrowhead, Colts in the playoffs. It seems Coyer gets to conservative when the game is on the line. Coyer grow some walnuts and take a risk!

Comment

This is what scares me about Coyer...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=2646383

Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, however, defended the
                                decision to stick with the base defense against Indianapolis. He
                                said Manning was playing so extraordinarily well that blitzing
                                would have played right into his hands.

As he watched his defense getting picked apart, Coyer thought
                                about mixing in a blitz or two "but then I thought wiser of it. He
                                was truly masterful in what he did in that game. He was reading
                                unbelievably. I couldn't tell what we were doing, but he knew."

So, Coyer said it's not scheme but execution that needs the
                                work.

"I hope that we learned what it takes to play championship
                                caliber football," Coyer said. "We've got to play harder and
                                faster. We've got to do a better job of execution and we've got to
                                do a better job of coaching."
                                If the Broncos play the Colts again with the same defensive gameplan, they are going to get torched. It seems that everytime they play, they are scared so much of the Colts offense that they just sit back and hope that Indy makes a mistake. That strategy works fine against 90% of the teams in the league, but Peyton will just pick that apart.

I'm confused why the Broncos wouldn't try to be more aggressive, at least on a few drives. Isn't that what worked for Pittsburgh and NE?
                                R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

Working...
                                X