Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duok
    replied
    Coyer needs to find an answer for the no huddle. We have killer talent on D but I haven't really seen much of a scheme. Looks like we just line up in a base zone coverage and let things do. That works for about 1 quarter then the other team figures it out and sits back and kills us. The evidence of this is last week and now the second quarter here. We are only winning because of some lucky fumbles.

So far the only play I give to Coyer was the Champ INT. That was pressure by the D that caused that throw. Otherwise we are just getting eaten alive.

Leave a comment:

• ignitionnight
    replied
    Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx
    He did nothing wrong thank you and goodnight.
    I know. At least one person understands sarcasm. I was actually banned because the mods don't understand sarcasm.
    Originally posted by Calif. Bronco
    Was the personal attack ("shut up man, why are you here?") really necessary? Was it because you could not attack his argument with facts that you felt the need to resort to this?
    I was being sarcastic. Geez man. Did anybody read the rest of my post or did they stop at that? I said we didn't want him here because he used logic and critical thinking skills.

If the reader has a junior high level education they would realize that I was commenting on how people here don't use logic or critical thinking skills.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Originally posted by ECBronco
    I'm confused why the Broncos wouldn't try to be more aggressive, at least on a few drives. Isn't that what worked for Pittsburgh and NE?

What works for Pittsburgh is that their Dline is pretty good WITHOUT extra pressure. Then when you throw more in, their line was too occupied with their regular duties. The blitzes will work then. You saw how ineffective ANY of our "pressure" packages were against Pitt last year. Rush 4, add 1, 2, 3, blitzers, bring'm all... It's just a difference in personnel.

Leave a comment:

• go_cutler
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730
    I think some of you need to keep some perspective here...

Indy has lost a total of 6 games in 3 and a half seasons (not including playoffs, of course). 6 games. That's it. They could have gone undefeated if they truly wanted to last season, but once they got the playoff positioning locked up, they lost their edge (much like the 1996 Denver Broncos), and the death of Tony Dungy's son I think devastated the team more than anyone thought.

What does this tell you? It tells you that there are obviously SEVERAL teams that don't have an answer for the Colts. Yes, they struggle with 3-4 defenses. But consistently, only one team has given the Colts any problems, and that's the Patriots. Other than that, the Colts have dominated teams in the regular season. The fact that the Broncos were able to hang with the Colts for the entire game and nearly win it says a lot about where this team has come. Do any of you all remember those playoff losses? We were embarrassed in those games. Yes, losing to the Colts on Sunday was dejecting. But you have to look at how far we've come, and how good the Colts have been consistently over the past three seasons before throwing in the towel and wanting to cut and/or fire everyone. We should really be proud of what we did. If we play the Colts again, we know exactly what they're going to do, and we should be able to game plan for it.
    The game was close as most of their defensive players were injured..
    They don't Stokley also.

I felt that this is the best chance to win.

It is frustrating to see manning having 5-6 seconds....
    Added to that..Coyer didn't change anything to pressure Manning.
    He just used the same approach and was waiting for manning to make mistakes..

Manning is not stupid like other QB'S(walter, mcnair)..
    He didn't throw to champ side and was happy giving ball to Wayne..

I don't have any problem in loosing..
    I am unhappy with the way we didn't pressure Manning.

Over to that..Coyer is not taking blame..
    I feel that he respects/afraid of Manning.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    I think some of you need to keep some perspective here...

Indy has lost a total of 6 games in 3 and a half seasons (not including playoffs, of course). 6 games. That's it. They could have gone undefeated if they truly wanted to last season, but once they got the playoff positioning locked up, they lost their edge (much like the 1996 Denver Broncos), and the death of Tony Dungy's son I think devastated the team more than anyone thought.

What does this tell you? It tells you that there are obviously SEVERAL teams that don't have an answer for the Colts. Yes, they struggle with 3-4 defenses. But consistently, only one team has given the Colts any problems, and that's the Patriots. Other than that, the Colts have dominated teams in the regular season. The fact that the Broncos were able to hang with the Colts for the entire game and nearly win it says a lot about where this team has come. Do any of you all remember those playoff losses? We were embarrassed in those games. Yes, losing to the Colts on Sunday was dejecting. But you have to look at how far we've come, and how good the Colts have been consistently over the past three seasons before throwing in the towel and wanting to cut and/or fire everyone. We should really be proud of what we did. If we play the Colts again, we know exactly what they're going to do, and we should be able to game plan for it.

Leave a comment:

• FlyByU
    replied
    I don't think he needs to go I just think he needs to stop taking bribe money and selling out the team :nono: which is the only explanation for last Sundays game play by the defense who by the way did not get allowed to rush Manning all but 1 play the whole game.

He doesn’t need to go he needs to stop the slush account in Switzerland. :nono:

Leave a comment:

• ECBronco
    replied
    This is what scares me about Coyer...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...nfl&id=2646383

Defensive coordinator Larry Coyer, however, defended the
    decision to stick with the base defense against Indianapolis. He
    said Manning was playing so extraordinarily well that blitzing
    would have played right into his hands.

As he watched his defense getting picked apart, Coyer thought
    about mixing in a blitz or two "but then I thought wiser of it. He
    was truly masterful in what he did in that game. He was reading
    unbelievably. I couldn't tell what we were doing, but he knew."

So, Coyer said it's not scheme but execution that needs the
    work.

"I hope that we learned what it takes to play championship
    caliber football," Coyer said. "We've got to play harder and
    faster. We've got to do a better job of execution and we've got to
    do a better job of coaching."
    If the Broncos play the Colts again with the same defensive gameplan, they are going to get torched. It seems that everytime they play, they are scared so much of the Colts offense that they just sit back and hope that Indy makes a mistake. That strategy works fine against 90% of the teams in the league, but Peyton will just pick that apart.

I'm confused why the Broncos wouldn't try to be more aggressive, at least on a few drives. Isn't that what worked for Pittsburgh and NE?

Leave a comment:

• Hypnotic
    replied
    Originally posted by JRWIZ
    Which big games were those:
    STl 320 total yards 32:49 TOP. L 9 Passing 1st downs 6 rushing 1st downs #8 offense
    KC 318 total yards, 31.39 TOP. W without their best QB and Olineman. #15
    NE 370 total yards, 28:15 TOP W 18 passing first downs. #11
    BAL 257 total yards 31:49 TOP W 8 Passing 1st downs #26
    OAK 244 total yards 31:46 TOP W 10 Passing 1st downs #32
    CLE 165 total yards 22:45 TOP W 9 Passing 1st downs #31
    IND 437 total yards 28:57 TOP L 18 Passing 1st downs #2

Avg yards per game for the nfl 316. DEN allows 295, CHI 245, SAN 265
    Avg TOP allowed 29.53

Folks this defense is nothing special other than keeping a couple of sad offenses out of the endzone.
    Dude I was being sarcastic! The big games to me are Steelers game, Chiefs at Arrowhead, Colts in the playoffs. It seems Coyer gets to conservative when the game is on the line. Coyer grow some walnuts and take a risk!

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by gobroncsnv
    Or you could look at it another way... Sounds like nobody doubts that we have a substandard pass rush, at least in keeping with the other great defenses over the years... Now put Coyer's numbers up there, knowing that he's got a good D going so well without having that (IMO) most critical element to any great D, which is an unstoppable pass rush. I, for one, would love to see just how good Coyer's "SCHEMES" are when he has all the pieces in place. I think he does a pretty good job for not having that available to him. No scheme is going to matter if the QB (especially Manning) has all the time in the world, not even jamming WR's at the line (unless we flat-out tackled them). Coyer does pretty well with what he's got.
    THis is exactly right. Bumping the receiver at the LoS when Manning has alll the time in the world isn't going to help.. period. Our pass rush has been adaquate all year...but it certainly showed just how lack luster and pathetic it is against Indy. That being said, you can't expect a DB to stick with a receiver for that long.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Or you could look at it another way... Sounds like nobody doubts that we have a substandard pass rush, at least in keeping with the other great defenses over the years... Now put Coyer's numbers up there, knowing that he's got a good D going so well without having that (IMO) most critical element to any great D, which is an unstoppable pass rush. I, for one, would love to see just how good Coyer's "SCHEMES" are when he has all the pieces in place. I think he does a pretty good job for not having that available to him. No scheme is going to matter if the QB (especially Manning) has all the time in the world, not even jamming WR's at the line (unless we flat-out tackled them). Coyer does pretty well with what he's got.

Leave a comment:

• DenBronx
    replied
    i personally think that coyer has no answers for indy, no matter how much talent we have on d.

Leave a comment:

• Hawgdriver
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    I'm not saying that the Denver Broncos defense is the '85 Bears... but lets look at the 'sad' teams they had to play. They are, after all, considered by many to be the greatest defense ever to play.

So lets look at who they played the first 7 weeks of the season in '85.

Chicago in 1985:

* Tampa Bay...... (0-7)..... 38-28
    New England ..... (4-3)..... 20-7
    * Minnesota ...... (4-3)..... 38-24
    Washington....... (3-4)...... 45-10
    *Tampa Bay....... (0-7) ...... 27-19
    San Fran ........... (3-4) ...... 26-10
    Green Bay......... (3-4) ...... 23-7 *=Division games

{Chicago's division was TB (2-14), Minnesota (7-9), Green Bay (8-8), Detroit (7-9)}

Through the first 7 games of the year... Chicago played teams with a record of 17-32. TWO of the teams they had played have a winning record up to this point in the season. Through the first 7 games of the year, they had an average of 13.7 points scored against them.

Denver in 2006:

St. Louis .......... (4-3) 10-18
    *Kansas City.... (4-3) 9-6
    New England... (6-1) 17-7
    Baltimore ........ (5-2) 13-3
    *Oakland........ (2-5) 13-3
    Cleveland....... (2-5) 17-7
    Indy............... (7-0) 31-34

Denver's season oppenents record through the first 7 games 30-19. Denver has played 5 teams with a winning record and average 11.14 points against us per game.

The point is simple. EVERY team in the NFL plays 'sad' oppenents. Even GREAT teams in history faced 'sad' offenses. That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, and it doesn't take away from what we have accomplished.

<yet the incomprehensible mob squeal:>

"Denver is overrated. They are a bunch of hype."

Rav: "But here's the facts. Can you please stare truth in the face?"

"Denver is overrated. They are a bunch of hype."

What was that line about quarrelling with a fool?

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    I'm not saying that the Denver Broncos defense is the '85 Bears... but lets look at the 'sad' teams they had to play. They are, after all, considered by many to be the greatest defense ever to play.

So lets look at who they played the first 7 weeks of the season in '85.

Chicago in 1985:

* Tampa Bay...... (0-7)..... 38-28
    New England ..... (4-3)..... 20-7
    * Minnesota ...... (4-3)..... 38-24
    Washington....... (3-4)...... 45-10
    *Tampa Bay....... (0-7) ...... 27-19
    San Fran ........... (3-4) ...... 26-10
    Green Bay......... (3-4) ...... 23-7 *=Division games

{Chicago's division was TB (2-14), Minnesota (7-9), Green Bay (8-8), Detroit (7-9)}

Through the first 7 games of the year... Chicago played teams with a record of 17-32. TWO of the teams they had played have a winning record up to this point in the season. Through the first 7 games of the year, they had an average of 13.7 points scored against them.

Denver in 2006:

St. Louis .......... (4-3) 10-18
    *Kansas City.... (4-3) 9-6
    New England... (6-1) 17-7
    Baltimore ........ (5-2) 13-3
    *Oakland........ (2-5) 13-3
    Cleveland....... (2-5) 17-7
    Indy............... (7-0) 31-34

Denver's season oppenents record through the first 7 games 30-19. Denver has played 5 teams with a winning record and average 11.14 points against us per game.

The point is simple. EVERY team in the NFL plays 'sad' oppenents. Even GREAT teams in history faced 'sad' offenses. That doesn't take away from what they accomplished, and it doesn't take away from what we have accomplished.
    Last edited by Ravage!!!; 11-02-2006, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hawgdriver
    replied
    Maybe Coyer isn't a defensive mastermind. But he does three things better than most:

1. Brings players together; builds a team. It may sound trite but if you've been part of a team in a stressful environment with some egos...it's no small thing.
    2. Chooses the right things to focus on in practice (e.g. spending a disproportionate amount of time on red zone defense this season)
    3. Cares about his players and his team

If Coyer didn't do these things as well as he did, the organization would be much less effective than it is. He's one of those guys that's responsible for the Demetrin Veals of this world WANTING to stay in Denver because they like the organization.

It's not all X's and O's.

Even so, it seems clear that Coyer will be defined by the 'Colts shortcoming' unless he finds a solution in their January meeting *knocks on wood* (which I hope happens, so the D can settle the score).

Leave a comment:

• nickmeyer
    replied
    I tend to agree Coyer needs to go, he has no idea how to stop a high power offence that throws the ball all the time. There is now way Peyton and Reggie Wayne should have been allowed to do what they did in the 2nd half when u have Champ Locking down one side where is the help to DW's side??????????????????????????????????????? :brick:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X