Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dogfish
    replied
    nice. . . . this may not be news to some, but i like it. . . . veal's been playing well against the run, and it makes sense to lock him up for a few years on the relative cheap-- while i don't necessarily see him as the answer as a long-term starter, he's proven to be a viable spot-starter/3rd DT rotational type of guy. . . in other words, the perfect sort of depth guy, made more valuable by his ability to play multiple positions along the DL. . .

while i've obviously been a pretty vocal member of the "we need a major upgrade at DL" group as long as i've been here (and long before that!), i do see veal as a solid contributor who's worth keeping around-- that's not a big salary for a DT, and he should continue to improve over the next few years. . . although we of course still have a few areas that need help (*ahem* pass-rushing DE! *cough cough*), i like the desire we've shown to keep this D together-- chemistry and communication are big on D, and i like the thought of adding maybe another piece or two and continuing to build on the awesome unit that these guys have matured into this year. . . .

it's also smart to keep webster around for a while-- he's a backup who has the talent to start for a lot of teams in this league if he'd been able to stay healthy. . . he's a luxury to have with how heavily we rely on our LBs. . . .

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by rovolution
    good for resigning Webster. If we eventually loose DJ or Ian to FA (and i believe one of them will eventually go due to salary cap), we have a viable replacement option.
    My adopted player, glad to see them extend his contract

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    Veal re-signing is old news, but cool too.
    Thats a good move

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Good thats my adopted player

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    League minimum! No more!

Well, obviously he isn't given the sizeable raise he got in base salary for '06.

Calm down though, less than 1 mil for a solid no.2/3 DT isn't bad at all.
    You might not be able to tell, but I am calm!

This can't be step one in improving the D-line, though. Right?

I just don't see the point in this signing. As long as he didn't get a signing bonus, then fine! I guess?

The Colts again proved that the Broncos can't get pressure with their front 4 against elite teams. The teams the Broncos are going to have to get passed if they want to get to the SB any time soon!

I'm one to believe that you can't have an elite defense w/out a D-line that can consistently pressure the QB. The Broncos CANNOT. And will not with the current players, imo.

The way I feel about the D-lineman=the way some people fell about Plummer!
    Last edited by stnzed; 11-04-2006, 05:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed
    The D-line will never get any better......He is a dime-a-dozen and should be payed like it!

It's curious at best after the way the D-line got b1tch slapped by the team to beat in the AFC.
    Well, obviously he isn't given the sizeable raise he got in base salary for '06.

Calm down though, less than 1 mil for a solid no.2/3 DT isn't bad at all.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    They gave Veal that much money?

The D-line will never get any better......He is a dime-a-dozen and should be payed like it!

It's curious at best after the way the D-line got b1tch slapped by the team to beat in the AFC.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Broncos | Veal signs two-year contract extension
    Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:14:26 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Denver Broncos DL Demetrin Veal signed a two-year contract extension with the Broncos. The deal will keep him with the team through the 2008 season. His base salary for the 2006 season raised from $425,000 to $1.775 million, prorated over the rest of the 2006 season. The deal includes base salaries of $650,000 (2007) and $950,000 (2008).

----------

Broncos | Webster signs two-year contract extension
    Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:12:37 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports Denver Broncos LB Nate Webster signed a two-year contract extension with the Broncos. The deal will keep him with the team through the 2008 season. His base salary for the 2006 season raised from $585,000 to $1.435 million, prorated over the rest of the 2006 season. The deal includes base salaries of $770,000 (2007) and $780,000 (2008) and an incentives package included in the extension years.
    Excellent signings.

Leave a comment:

• Lorcust
    replied
    Originally posted by gobroncsnv
    Isn't Web more of an MLB??? I dunno, just checking.
    Webster played at MLB, but he can play OLB and MLB/ILB to a good degree.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Webster provides good depth....

But Veal's signing does nothing for me! Why keep the players that don't start at a position where there is only one player worth starting! Hopefully it's for the league minimum!

Defensive line will continue to be Shanahan's achilles heel!

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Isn't Web more of an MLB??? I dunno, just checking.

Leave a comment:

• rovolution
    replied
    good for resigning Webster. If we eventually loose DJ or Ian to FA (and i believe one of them will eventually go due to salary cap), we have a viable replacement option.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    started a topic Webster re-ups

Webster re-ups

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2649375

The Denver Broncos have taken advantage of their 2006 salary cap surplus to sign two backup defenders to short-term contract extensions.

Middle linebacker Nate Webster and defensive tackle Demetrin Veal each signed two-year extensions that will keep them with the Broncos through the 2008 season, and will preclude them from going into the free agent market next spring. Both deals were consummated before a Monday deadline that allows teams to count what normally would be considered signing bonus money as base salary for the 2006 season.

By completing the extensions before the deadline, the Broncos don't have to defer any salary cap charges to future seasons as prorated signing bonuses.

A three-year veteran, Veal, who saw his playing time increased the past two weeks because of an injury to starting defensive tackle Gerard Warren, had his base salary for 2006 bumped from $425,000 to $1.775 million, with the latter figured prorated over the balance of the season. His base salaries for the extension years in the deal are $650,000 for 2007 and $950,000 for 2008.

Veal, 25, has emerged as a solid No. 3 tackle for Denver, which signed him off the Baltimore practice squad in 2004. He can also play end and is carving out a bigger role for himself in the Denver defensive line rotation.

The former University of Tennessee standout, who entered the league with Atlanta as a seventh-round pick in the 2003 draft, has appeared in 25 games, and has 43 tackles, two sacks and one fumble recovery.

Webster, 28, hasn't been active yet for a game this season. But the Broncos' coaches feel that once he is beyond the knee problems that have sidelined his career the past two seasons, he will be a viable backup to starting middle linebacker Al Wilson, and perhaps a contributor on special teams units.

The six-year veteran had his base salary raised from $585,000 to $1.435 million, prorated over the rest of the season, and added two years to his contract, at $770,000 for 2007 and $780,000 for 2008. There is also an incentives package included in the extension years.

A former University of Miami star, Webster previously played at Tampa Bay (2000-2003) and Cincinnati (2004-2005). He was signed by the Bengals to be their starting middle linebacker, and started the first three games in 2004 before suffering a patella tendon injury. Webster has played in only four games since the start of the 2004 season, but the Broncos obviously have plans for him.

Webster's resume includes 168 tackles, two sacks and six passes defensed.
Working...
X