Something I just don't understand....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I just don't understand....

Watching the game yesterday, a couple of plays got me thinking.......

The first was the block that "Ketchup" Ward put on Nick Ferguson. You all know the one......the one that made Ferguson look like Mike Tyson after "Buster" Dougles KO'd him.....

"Ketchup" sort of hopped up and lead with his helmet and made contact with Fergusons' helmet....No flag, no fine....whatever.

Later in the game, Foxworth was flagged for leading with his helmet while hitting a "DEFENSELESS" receiver as he went for a catch. And who knows, the way the NFL likes to hand out fines nowadays, Foxworth most likely will get a fine. :brick:

So what is the differance between the two.....both "hitters" lead with the helmet and made contact with a "DEFENSELESS" player.(**EDIT** I know the NFL's definition but is there really a differance!?!?!?!)

What makes this really a confusing thing is that, of both plays, the receiver Foxworth hit jumped right up a brushed the hit off.....I mean he JUMPED RIGHT UP!!! No effects from the hit that we saw........

...Now the hit that "Ketchup" did left a player obvioulsy injured in the head, which ended up in a mild concussion and ended the Fergusons' night...though he tried to return to the game for a play.

I really don't want the NFL to get protrctive of all players like they do with the QB and receivers. But you have to do something about those type of blocks.

I like watching the blindside blocks but when I see John Lynch getting fined for a similar hit that I see from a receiver or whatnot, I get upset. Like the NFL is saying it's okay for this guy to do this but this other guy can't.....

So I just thought I'd get ya'lls opinion on this.

PEACE!!!
    Last edited by AlWilsonizKING; 11-07-2006, 09:27 AM.

The receiver foxy hit was in the air. You cant hit someone like that when in the air.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosfreak_56
      The receiver foxy hit was in the air. You cant hit someone like that when in the air.
      According to the rules.

I think the call was pretty bad, especially since if he caught the ball, Foxworth would be trying to knock it out. But since it was a poor throw, it ended up being what it was.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
      2. Taxes
      3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

had nothing to do with him being in the air.. it had everything to do with the fact that Furgeson LED with the head. and led his head into the receivers head. It was obvious.

Hines was a legal block. He didn't LEAD with his head into the opposing player. He didn't use his head as a weapon like Ferguson did. They weren't the same at all.

Comment

The helmet to helmet rule only applies when a receiver is "unprotected", or in the act of catching the ball.

If the receiver makes the catch then turns upfield and takes 3-4 steps, then helmet to helmet is allowed.

It is also allowed on running plays, you can go helmet to helmet when a player is running the ball.

Comment

i agree except the guy fox hit wasnt defneseless... he was in mid-air and going for the ball

SIG MADE BY ME!!

my myspace: www.myspace.com/italian2sta11ion
            MY CUSTOM RINGTONES: http://djdraggytones.mstore.xingtone.com

Comment

Well uh yeah, I know that, but what I'm trying to point out is that....Ferguson came out on the worse end from being hit by an offensive player. The receiver that "was in the air" had no ill effects from the hit......

Just something for the NFL to THINK ABOUT.

..and Ravage!!!...Ferguson was the won who got hit by "Ketchup" and Foxworth hit the unknown (at least for me) receiver....but it's late so I'll let ya slide on the tired excuse...hehehehehe

PEACE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlWilsonizKING
                Well uh yeah, I know that, but what I'm trying to point out is that....Ferguson came out on the worse end from being hit by an offensive player. The receiver that "was in the air" had no ill effects from the hit......

Just something for the NFL to THINK ABOUT.

..and Ravage!!!...Ferguson was the won who got hit by "Ketchup" and Foxworth hit the unknown (at least for me) receiver....but it's late so I'll let ya slide on the tired excuse...hehehehehe

PEACE!!!
                Oh yeah.. got the names mixed up as I was typing. But... either way. The block was legal.. the hit on the receiver was OBVIOUSLY an illegal hit, and will probably end in a fine for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ItalianSta11ion
                  i agree except the guy fox hit wasnt defneseless... he was in mid-air and going for the ball
                  THat is defensless.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                    But... either way. The block was legal.. the hit on the receiver was OBVIOUSLY an illegal hit, and will probably end in a fine for sure.

Well yeah..... .....that was the point of the thread. To show that there really isn't a differance and maybe the NFL should look at the way it penalizes and fines players......

PEACE!!!

Comment

not true

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
                      had nothing to do with him being in the air.. it had everything to do with the fact that Furgeson LED with the head. and led his head into the receivers head. It was obvious.

Hines was a legal block. He didn't LEAD with his head into the opposing player. He didn't use his head as a weapon like Ferguson did. They weren't the same at all.
                      Ward launched himself helmet first into Foxworth's earhole and celbrated it afterwards. He absolutley led with his head - check your Tivo.
                      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

I also thought the hit Dianna Ross put on Plummer was helmet to helmet, but no flag there either. Any of you guys with Tivo notice that?

Comment

One more time...

There are only a few times when helmet to helmet is illegal:

- When a receiver is in the act of catching the football.

- When a QB is in the pocket (actually any contact to the QB's head is illegal).

That's it! Every other instance of helmet to helmet contact is LEGAL!!!

Comment

The NFL has watered down hitting SO much.....

What's really really lame about it is the fact that injuries HAVE NOT gone down.....and actually have gone up in these past couple years.....

Let the players play.....I realize that we americans have an attention span on -2 seconds and want high scoring games.....

but this "protection" crap is getting ridiculous.....
                            "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                            -The best in the business-

Comment

This is probably going to make some of you mad, but that being said I thought Wards hit on Ferg was awesome and if Jevon had made that hit on Poly everybody here would be saying that it was awesome. Sorry if I offended but I love big Legal hits I dont care who's throwing them.
                              Broncos fan since 1975

R.I.P. Darrent Williams you will surely be missed

Comment

Working...
                              X