Should we blitz more??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we blitz more??

I like the fact that our DB's are confident in their ability to cover 1 on 1. And I like the fact that we don't blitz as much as last year, but I believe we need to blitz more than we are vs top tier QB's. found this video, and I know its just highlights, but Coyers blitzing packages were very effective last year, and created turnovers, and to go completely away from that seems like a bad idea. Any thoughts??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQsyR...rch=Broncos%20

Tough to answer. Its hard to argue with the fact that our defense has done SOOO damned well about keeping the other teams out of the endzone. I know one thing... we should NOT blitz Peyton Manning. He'll eat us up.

I think we blitzed more against Pitt. I DID notice (and am looking for the stats) that our DL was able to get more pressure once our offense started to sustain some drives. When they were on the field for jut 49 seconds at a time with 3 and outs.... our DL was no where NEAR Rothlesburger. So I think the better our offense does, the better the defense will do.

Comment

Good question. Denver did blitz Pittsburgh occasionally on Sunday, and without the statistics to back it up, I think the results were pretty good. I know that first Bailey interception was result of a blitz for sure.

The defensive gameplan against Pittsburgh last year and the Colts this year was very conservative with almost no blitzing. It was painful watching Roethlisberger and Manning pick apart the defense.

So IMO, I don’t think you can just sit back against the elite QB’s in the league and give them time to find the open man. I hope that if Denver plays Indy again this year, they are more aggressive and mix it up with some blitzes to try and hurry Manning a little bit.
      R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
        Tough to answer. Its hard to argue with the fact that our defense has done SOOO damned well about keeping the other teams out of the endzone. I know one thing... we should NOT blitz Peyton Manning. He'll eat us up.

I think we blitzed more against Pitt. I DID notice (and am looking for the stats) that our DL was able to get more pressure once our offense started to sustain some drives. When they were on the field for jut 49 seconds at a time with 3 and outs.... our DL was no where NEAR Rothlesburger. So I think the better our offense does, the better the defense will do.
        If you can generate pressure with your front 4, I agree that you shouldn't blitz Manning. But if you aren't getting pressure, you have to gamble and throw in a blitz every now and then.

I would be interested in seeing those stats for the Pittsburgh game last week.
        R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

The less you blitz, the more effective your blitzes are.

In my opinion, you need to rush as few people as possible so long as you can still get pressure on the QB. If 4 aren't cutting it, make it 5 or 6.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

A little more would keep them off balance.

As a DE myself, I know that it really makes it easier when you at least show more at the line so you can make a better move off of the snap. Blitzing a little more will force the QB to get rid of the ball and make him uneasy. I thought NE did a good job of presuring PM! I would like to get a good shot in on PM at least, even if it does mean a completion. He's going to move the ball anyways. Should at least make him pay for it. And hell, if we're not going to make the adjustments with the safeties then they mine as well blitz. Sorry, I'm still hung up on the Indy game. Just a few more a game! That's all I'm asking for.

Comment

Originally posted by kristian824
              As a DE myself, I know that it really makes it easier when you at least show more at the line so you can make a better move off of the snap. Blitzing a little more will force the QB to get rid of the ball and make him uneasy. I thought NE did a good job of presuring PM! I would like to get a good shot in on PM at least, even if it does mean a completion. He's going to move the ball anyways. Should at least make him pay for it. And hell, if we're not going to make the adjustments with the safeties then they mine as well blitz. Sorry, I'm still hung up on the Indy game. Just a few more a game! That's all I'm asking for.
              Yeah, that's exactly right. If you are playing a team conservatively and the QB is just GASHING the defense, why not at least try a blitz or 2? That's what made the Indy game so frustrating for me.
              R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

I agree with most of the theories so far. Our blitzing was really effective last year, even though we did it so much. Peyton Manning will shred defenses if he doesn't get pressured, and conversley, he will shred you if you blitz to much. We've tried both scenarios, blitzing, and not blitzing, and neither has worked, we have to mix it up.

Comment

During the Colt game it didn't seem like we blitzed at all. But during the Steeler game we had a couple blitzs and they seemed to add the pressure on the QB. It's hard to say if we should blitz more because I think that if we would blitz more on the Colts it would hurt us but a good one every now and again wouldn't be bad. Did you see the Patriots attack Manning and they had him on the move and throwing incomplete passes. But if you blitz alot he will eat you up. So it all depends on the team and the QB on the amount of blitzs you through at each team we play.
                  RIP Darrent Williams
                  You know the difference between winners and losers?

Ya the score.

THE REPLACEMENTS

Comment

Let's look at it this way... Is our D better with more or less blitzes through the same number of games last year? I know teams have changed regarding who we played, etc, but usually stuff starts to even out. I like the "feel" of this D compared to last year, and leading the scoring stat helps me get there. I agree with the fewer blitzes are more effective theory. SHOW it alot, but do it seldom, pick your spots, and be unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by ECBronco
                      Good question. Denver did blitz Pittsburgh occasionally on Sunday, and without the statistics to back it up, I think the results were pretty good. I know that first Bailey interception was result of a blitz for sure.

The defensive gameplan against Pittsburgh last year and the Colts this year was very conservative with almost no blitzing. It was painful watching Roethlisberger and Manning pick apart the defense.

So IMO, I don’t think you can just sit back against the elite QB’s in the league and give them time to find the open man. I hope that if Denver plays Indy again this year, they are more aggressive and mix it up with some blitzes to try and hurry Manning a little bit.

To answer the question I would have to say yes! I wouldn't say to blitz like last year but we need to blitz a little bit more than what we are. If we happen to face Indy again in the playoffs we need to blitz Manning so he doesn't have time to pick us apart. We all know Champ can cover Harrison by himself but Darrent Williams obviously can't cover Wayne 1 on 1 so next time we play we need to put a safety over the top to help Darrent. We do this and blitz we would win!!!

I hate the Soft Zone coverage and the prevent defense.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!

I really believe that. It makes sense because if a team thinks all they have to do is score a few and they win then it puts our defense in a worse position because the opposing O will come out the way they're supposed to. They'll come out with runs and passes, but if they think that their gonna have to keep up with our O then the opposing coaches will see a need to make big plays which our d is made to stop. So if teams just keep nickle and diming it down field then our D struggles.

this is of course just my :2cents:

I support EVERYTHING and EVERYONE orange and blue

Broncos dont Rebuild, they Reload!.....courtesy of JayCutler4MVP!!!

Comment

We're afraid to be balanced

Sometimes it seems like Coyer has a mindset that the defense is either gonna bring the house all game long or going to rush 4 all day long.

During the Indy game they wouldn't bump Wayne, they barely dared to blitz... The end result was Williams getting picked apart by Manning. In the AFC championship we continued with blitz after ineffective blitz and got picked apart by Big Ben. Different means to get to the same end result

It's cliche, but more balance is the key... More 2nd half adjustments seem to be in order- don't be afraid to throw the gameplan out if it's not working.

Comment

Yes we should blitz but be smart about our blitzing. What I mean is not sending every guy evrytime but send one extra rusher about 40 % more and two 10% more because base d allows teams to move the ball at will.

Coyer needs to design some quality blitzes and actually be creative, his old blitz package was send guys right at blockers and hope we win one on one.

Comment

Why can't our base defense play anything except a soft zone? If we've got 7 guys in coverage, let's make 'em work for the yards at least.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Working...
                              X