Who should play ROLB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should play ROLB?

With Ian Gold's injury still in question, let's assume he doesn't come back. Who should play his position? I read in a Denver Post article that Green could stay in for him, or Nate Webster could be activated, but here's my thing: Why not DJ Williams who played that role just fine before Gold came back? If you're going to promote a scrub to fill in, promote them to the LOLB side where there is less playing time.

One option I read was more two linebacker sets with Wilson and Williams.

Just curious what everyone thinks.

I say put Williams in ROLB where he is great at in his natural position. Wilson stays in the middle. Chuckwurah plays at LOLB/LE, so basically he is like Shaune Merriman without the steroids.
    XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

I say put Webster in. The guy could start on some teams if he could stay healthy.
      This is his chance to prove that he deserves an active roster spot.

Comment

It's not a question of right or left outside linebacker, it's a question of weak and strong side linebacker.

I would put green in because even though Williams has played weak, he has begun to accept and fill the role of strong side linebacker this year. The SLB needs to be able to cover up the opposing TE and usually takes on more blocks, thats why Williams was moved there, bigger body and frame for these tasks. We will especially see Williams in nickel now a lot more, gold was the nickel LB because he has more game experience (it was even commented by Al Wilson that thats why Gold is usually in on nickel packages)

Anyway, since the Will LB doesn't take on as many blocks I would fit green in because I have not seen him fill as hard as Williams to move Williams. Webster might fit the Sam spot but he practiced at Mike all training camp long and I'm not a believer in moving newly aquired LB's around even though our defense is base 90% of the game.

Comment

I'd prefer Webster and Williams to man the OLB spots. I read some quotes from Webster that indicated that he'll be activated next week.

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
            I say put Webster in. The guy could start on some teams if he could stay healthy.
            This is his chance to prove that he deserves an active roster spot.
            I think so too. I dont know why he hasnt seen more time this year. I guess Chuckie has been doing so well that they felt they didnt need him or something. I would like to see Webster in action though.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chidoze
              I think so too. I dont know why he hasnt seen more time this year. I guess Chuckie has been doing so well that they felt they didnt need him or something. I would like to see Webster in action though.
              I heard because Webster is pretty bad at special teams.

Comment

I say put in Mobley...oh wait...nevermind I kinda miss that guy! I liked the way he played...not to mention, he knocked down the last pass in SB XXXII (:singing: memories...)

Comment

i'm assuming that webster will play if gold can't go (*crosses fingers and knocks on wood*). . . i think he's far more talented than louis green, who looked lost out there to me (i'm gonna watch the game again tomorrow, maybe i'll revise that opinion-- but i doubt it). . . i thought webster kicked ass in the preseason, including some action against starters, and he has more experience than green. . . .

i don't particularly like the idea of moving dj back to will for a few games-- he really struggled adapting to sam, and since the new england game he has really started putting it together. . . he's also played some mike (middle linebacker) in practice, and i'm afraid that with a young guy who sometimes seems to struggle with the mental aspects of the game, it could be a little overwhelming to now move him back to will for a few games, and then move him back to sam again. . . i know that may sound trivial to some people, but this isn't madden 2007, and you can't always just move guys all around the field. . .

i'll be much happier to see webster take over the will for a game or two if need be-- he has the requisite speed and range to play there, he's got a nose for the ball, and dude is a fierce hitter. . . mike is his natural spot, but he's been around the league for a while, and i think he's been moved around before. . . that's the scenario that i expect we're going to see. . . either way, i'm pretty sure he'll be activated even if gold is cleared to play. . . .
                  Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
                    I heard because Webster is pretty bad at special teams.
                    Well then, he's not much help unless he's a starter then.
                    Anything else and he'll just be deactivated if he cant play special teams.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chidoze

although predator used to play OLB, and could certainly switch back there if need be, he's played defensive end exclusively this year as far as i can tell. . . and it's a good decision, that seems to be a much more natural fit for him-- rushing the passer is what he's good at, he doesn't seem to be particularly good at playing in space or dropping into coverage. . .

and cinnaspice is right, webster hasn't been active because he doesn't play special teams. . . it's something i've commented on before-- i know they only have a certain amount of active spaces each week, and that someone has to play special teams, but it's scared me to not have our best backup LB dressed. . .
                      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I wouldnt move the Sam (DJ) as that is typically the harder position to play and D.J is doing a good job. I would make DJ the nickle backer now wit Al though.

My guess is Webster will play the Will on Sunday.
                        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I don't care because we're actually loaded at the LB postions. With Webster, he adds another dimension to our D. If Gold doesn't come back then I want Webster to take Gold's spot until he returns. The bad thing about this though, if Webster does a great job, we might lose Gold next year. But maybe we'll switch to the 3-4 if Webster does great though.

Comment

shanahan said if one of the LBs goes down, it will for sure be Webster. i heard hes a starter calibur player on most teams.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                              i'm assuming that webster will play if gold can't go (*crosses fingers and knocks on wood*). . . i think he's far more talented than louis green, who looked lost out there to me (i'm gonna watch the game again tomorrow, maybe i'll revise that opinion-- but i doubt it). . . i thought webster kicked ass in the preseason, including some action against starters, and he has more experience than green. . . .

i don't particularly like the idea of moving dj back to will for a few games-- he really struggled adapting to sam, and since the new england game he has really started putting it together. . . he's also played some mike (middle linebacker) in practice, and i'm afraid that with a young guy who sometimes seems to struggle with the mental aspects of the game, it could be a little overwhelming to now move him back to will for a few games, and then move him back to sam again. . . i know that may sound trivial to some people, but this isn't madden 2007, and you can't always just move guys all around the field. . .

i'll be much happier to see webster take over the will for a game or two if need be-- he has the requisite speed and range to play there, he's got a nose for the ball, and dude is a fierce hitter. . . mike is his natural spot, but he's been around the league for a while, and i think he's been moved around before. . . that's the scenario that i expect we're going to see. . . either way, i'm pretty sure he'll be activated even if gold is cleared to play. . . .
                              I agree, my vote is to put Webster at WILL, also. Speed and hitting along with a pedigree from the U.

Comment

Working...
                              X