Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff seeding and homefield advantage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff seeding and homefield advantage...

I've got a question that I hope some of you out there can answer for me. RIght now I'm guessing at the following playoff layout:

(Top two could go either way)

1) Titans : 13-3 (maybe 14-2)

2) Chiefs : 13-3 (maybe 14-2)

3) Patriots : 12-4

4) Bengals (or Ravens) : 8-8 (maybe 9-7)

5) Colts - wildcard : 11-5

6) Broncos - wildcard : 10-6 (maybe 11-5 if we're lucky)

Assuming this outcome, what would the matchups be on the wildcard weekend?

Do the #3 seed Patriots play the wildcard with the worst record, in this case the Broncos? Or do they play the team with the overall worst record, in this case the Bengals?

I can't remember if the Bengals would be guaranteed at least one home game because they won their division or if they would immediately play on the road at New England.

In this situatioin, would the Broncos open at New England or at Indianapolis?
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Re: Playoff seeding and homefield advantage...

Originally posted by Javalon
    I've got a question that I hope some of you out there can answer for me. RIght now I'm guessing at the following playoff layout:

(Top two could go either way)

4) Bengals (or Ravens) : 8-8 (maybe 9-7)

Assuming this outcome, what would the matchups be on the
    wildcard weekend?

Do the #3 seed Patriots play the wildcard with the worst record, in this case the Broncos? Or do they play the team with the overall worst record, in this case the Bengals?

I can't remember if the Bengals would be guaranteed at least one home game because they won their division or if they would immediately play on the road at New England.

In this situatioin, would the Broncos open at New England or at Indianapolis?
    I think in this situation Denver would play at NE because they are the highest seed in the wildcard round. Bengals would play at home against the Colts even though the Colts have a better record because they won their division.

Comment

Re: Playoff seeding and homefield advantage...

Originally posted by Javalon

I believe a wildcard team cannot host a playoff game unless it would be against another wildcard.
      Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
        You know what we need to worry about?

Miami and Cincy.

If we DO have to fight for a wildcard, it will be against either Miami or Cincy/Baltimore.

We automatically lose a tiebreaker to Baltimore, so we'd rather Baltimore win the North, and then we'll have one less team to get into tiebreakers with in the AFC.

Miami...well, who knows which team will show up in December?

Other than that, I'd have to go with KC, Indy, NE, [North Winner], Tennessee (Man, I hate that state), and Denver.

In that order, with respective seedings/matchups:

Wildcards:
        Denver at NE Denver in OT
        Tennessee at [North Winner] Tennessee in the first quarter

Divisional:
        Denver at KC KC in OT
        Tennessee at Indy Indy by 4

AFC:
        Indy at KC Indy by 17 (healthy Harrison)

There you go.
        I don't think Miami has achance, they always fade at the end, and right now they are relying on BRIAN GRIESE! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Anyways, INdy is NOT as good as you think. They have a suspect running back situation, and they will get clobbered by Tennesse. I know tennessee's secondary, heck their whole defense, has some problems with injuries (......and talent) but Manning will get Freaked in any matchup.

Wildcards:
        Denver at NE-------------------------------Denver in 4th
        Indy at [North Winner]-------------------Indy huge

Divisional:
        Denver at KC-------------------------------Denver on Elam FG
        Indy at Tennessee------------------------Tennesse by 14

AFC:
        Den at Tennessee------------------------Tenn by 10
        Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

We still have the rest of the season to play before this all comes about and a [U]LOT[/U/ of things can happen by that time.

For instance, Oakland beats Kansas City, San Diego beats KC, we beat KC .. then the whole playoff picture changes.

Then again I am dreaming with two of those three, but this is football after all!

Comment

you all are smoking too much crack. But for the sake of you ridiculously optimistic Donko fans...

1) Chiefs : 14-2

2) Titans : 13-3

4) Bengals: 8-8 (maybe 9-7)

6) Broncos - wildcard : 9-7 [ plummer will go down again] I however think it will be Miami...

Wildcard Round
            6 vs 3
            4 vs 5

lowest remaining seed vs #1
            other team vs #2

Arrowhead magic all the way through...

Chiefs in Superbowl... it really doesnt matter who is in it for the NFC... they are inferior this year. The AFC champ will win superbowl regardless.
            [nelson] Hah Hah! [/nelson]

Comment

"Bandwagoneer" I live in tennessee but have been i bronco fan for as long as i can remember. With a dissapointing injury-riddled season, i was looking for a team to root for in the playoffs. And behold, for the first time there is a team in my state (not counting the "Memphis Oilers" the year before). Dyson was the man of destiny that year (music city miracle, 1 yard short) but left for the $.

There ain't nothin wrong with havin a number 2 team to root for (i'm still true blue broncos if they ever play each other, which they haven't yet) but i ain't no "bandwagoneer"

Anyways, the past two years the Titans have started slow (including Indy this year) but have picked up steam late.

And McNair a poster boy? DUI with a loaded weapon in his car, that sounds real poster boy material to me.
              Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

Bengals in the playoffs... thats pretty scary!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcollin1
                  You know what we need to worry about?

Miami and Cincy.

If we DO have to fight for a wildcard, it will be against either Miami or Cincy/Baltimore.

We automatically lose a tiebreaker to Baltimore, so we'd rather Baltimore win the North, and then we'll have one less team to get into tiebreakers with in the AFC.

Miami...well, who knows which team will show up in December?

Other than that, I'd have to go with KC, Indy, NE, [North Winner], Tennessee (Man, I hate that state), and Denver.

In that order, with respective seedings/matchups:

Wildcards:
                  Denver at NE Denver in OT
                  Tennessee at [North Winner] Tennessee in the first quarter

Divisional:
                  Denver at KC KC in OT
                  Tennessee at Indy Indy by 4

AFC:
                  Indy at KC Indy by 17 (healthy Harrison)

There you go.
                  Hey Cliffy, you seem to have a grudge against the Titans.

Anyway, a couple of thoughts on your thoughts:

The Titans only have one tough game left on their schedule, and that's when they host Indy. If the Colts pull that one out, I might join your way of thinking.

The Colts, by contrast, have three tough games remaining including @ Tenn. and hosting the Broncos, and if the Broncos can stay healthy I give Denver a good shot at winning that one.

I know the Colts & Titans are neck and neck on the defensive stats for the season but I have the general impression that the Titans' defense is getting better while the Colts' is getting worse.

As far as the Dolphins are concerned, I once again point to their schedule. Three tough games and the other three are against teams that aren't entirely bottom of the barrel. They also have Griese at QB and Ricky Williams doesn't seem to be his old self.

I think that Cincy will probably win their division. Baltimore's offense really sucks right now. But, if the Ravens somehow pull it out, we do have the tie-break edge against the Bengals. I just can't see Baltimore finishing above 9-7 and I really think the Broncos will finish at least 10-6.

At least that's way my Ouija Board is telling me.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

This is the way I see it.

4) Bengals : 8-8 (maybe 9-7)

Ravens wont be able to win the division with a crappy QB

Comment

Working...
                    X