7 Tight Ends?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Tight Ends?

Sharpe,Carswell,Leach,Putzier,Hape,Santiago and Weaver.
    I do realize that Sharpe may retire and Leach also handles long snap. We will probably cut half these guys by the end of preseason, but I think were over doing it at Tight End. I dont think we should waste Draft Picks on this position even if Sharpe does retire. Back up QB and WR is where I would like to see us concentrate our efforts!

Re: 7 Tight Ends?

Originally posted by numberseven
    I do realize that Sharpe may retire and Leach also handles long snap. We will probably cut half these guys by the end of preseason, but I think were over doing it at Tight End. I dont think we should waste Draft Picks on this position even if Sharpe does retire. Back up QB and WR is where I would like to see us concentrate our efforts!
    I thought Hape was the long snapper?

Whichever it is, they count as a roster spot, but not as a true TE. They will stay.

Some of these guys are going to get cut. That is a fact. Maybe this is just to see who is ready to de-throne Sharpe. If you subcribe to the teory that competition breeds improvement, then there is certainly a lot of competition.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
    You should check these guys out

Comment

No, leach is definitely the long snapper, hape does a lot of short yardage fullback duties though.

I like my defensive tackles like I like my women: well over 300 lbs.
      ABWRFRC

Comment

I don't believe the tight ends other than Sharpe are anything exceptional at the position. If we can get one of the top three tight ends in the first two rounds, I'd definitely grab one. It would be a bigger mistake to pass up a good tight end in the draft than it would be to have too many tight ends in training camp.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I disagree. As much as I like Ben Watson out of Georgia (not a huge fan of either KW Jr. or Ben Troupe) I'd have to say that we by far have enough talent to make it without Sharpe. Remember when we didn't even have Shannon and Carswell and Chamberlain both made it to the pro bowl? (not the same year I don't think, but they both did) Weaver, Carswell, and Putzier alone I think give us solid depth at TE, plus the signing of Hape and Santiago. Draft picks could be better spent at thinner positions, like WR, QB, OLB and DT.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaz
            I disagree. As much as I like Ben Watson out of Georgia (not a huge fan of either KW Jr. or Ben Troupe) I'd have to say that we by far have enough talent to make it without Sharpe. Remember when we didn't even have Shannon and Carswell and Chamberlain both made it to the pro bowl? (not the same year I don't think, but they both did) Weaver, Carswell, and Putzier alone I think give us solid depth at TE, plus the signing of Hape and Santiago. Draft picks could be better spent at thinner positions, like WR, QB, OLB and DT.
            Good post. I agree with this. Weaver started and played well for the 49ers lst year. Some of these guys will be gone but we have some solid options at TE right now. We are thin at WR and the Front 7. And as Chaz has said our backup QB last year just sucked........

Comment

holy balls someone agreed with me...this is definately a first

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaz
                No problem with disagreeing. There's quite a bit of that going on in regards to the draft right now.

I don't remember Byron ever making the Pro Bowl with the Broncos and only once did he even reach 30 receptions. Carswell was a decent tight end and did have that one Pro Bowl but is now 32 years old...that's not exactly youthful. The other tight ends we have signed are all average.

I think where we disagree is on the importance of the tight end. In my opinion, a really good tight end provides a reliable safety valve, and an extremely important one, for the quarterback. If he's really good (or great like Shannon) he'll provide very tough coverage problems for the defense.

I don't want to settle for the solid (i.e. average) tight ends we have now, Shannon excluded. If we can get a really good one in the draft (and I'm not debating your assessment of Troupe or Winslow) then I think it is extremely important for the Broncos to do so.
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Yeah us signing all these players gives us clues that were not gonna draft a TE, I hope Sharpe doesn't retire, and we'll prolly cut Putzier, Hape, and Leach dunno though, and maybe we can trade Carswell to move up into the draft, or get our 4th round pick back.
                  sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: 7 Tight Ends?

Originally posted by eastcoastbrawla
                    Yeah us signing all these players gives us clues that were not gonna draft a TE, I hope Sharpe doesn't retire, and we'll prolly cut Putzier, Hape, and Leach dunno though, and maybe we can trade Carswell to move up into the draft, or get our 4th round pick back.
                    Leach won't get cut. He is our best (by far) long snapper. He will get a roster spot unless he really falters in those capabilities. I could see Putz, Hape, and Santiago getting cut by opening day.... Interesting thought on Carswell. Problem in there are a couple of TE available at the 4th round this year that are just like him. I don't think he has much value at this point.

Comment

I really think that we must Cut 3 or 4 of them and draft a good one..

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Working...
                      X