Can we contain Gates???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we contain Gates???

I used to be very confident that we can contain Gates due to Sam Brandon.

Now Sam is on IR...can Cox contain Gates???..

What are ur thoughts?...

I don't think that Gates has been as big of a factor this year. Not to downplay his ability, but Rivers doesn't go to him as much as Brees did. The Chargers seem to do a better job of spreading the offense around. Previously unknown guys such as Floyd ,Jackson, and Manumaleuma are getting more touches.

Comment

Bailey needs to do more zone coverage in this game more. Chargers ain't got no WR. Im starting to miss Brandon, but hey Gonzalez is out for at least 2 weeks.
      XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

Originally posted by go_cutler

What are ur thoughts?...
        Just don't let LT gash us. Big ben threw for what 400 yards? If they can't or at least struggle to run the ball, it will be difficult for them to win.
        A wise man once said "Remember to be yourself, or you might find yourself by yourself, and that aint cool. Any fool can learn from his or her mistakes, but it takes a wise person to learn from mistakes made by others. Persistance always overcomes resistance."

Comment

Originally posted by The Executioner
          Bailey needs to do more zone coverage in this game more. Chargers ain't got no WR. Im starting to miss Brandon, but hey Gonzalez is out for at least 2 weeks.
          Oh thou art wrong

Gonzo has already said he wants and plans on being the 3rd down TE this week
          against Okland, and that if all goes as planned he should be starting again for the
          Turkey Day game.
          Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
            Oh thou art wrong

Gonzo has already said he wants and plans on being the 3rd down TE this week
            against Okland, and that if all goes as planned he should be starting again for the
            Turkey Day game.
            Gonzales better start saying: "Yeah though I walked through the valley of mile high, I shall fear no evil, for I will get injured by Wilson's hits."
            How is he going to catch/block without his shoulder?
            XBL: The1Executioner

Comment

Originally posted by The Executioner
              Gonzales better start saying: "Yeah though I walked through the valley of mile high, I shall fear no evil, for I will get injured by Wilson's hits."
              How is he going to catch/block without his shoulder?
              Its just a sprain not a seperation..

I was listening to Herm on the radio and he would say if TG was out or not, and
              the way he was saying it, was like TG was going to play this weekend.
              Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Gates is a real good TE but we match up well against an TE in the league, or LB's can cover and stay with almost anybody. So im pretty sure we can contain him
                sigpic

Comment

I like that idea, so when Gonzo doesn't preform, he will use the ole 'My shoulder was hurting to much excuse.

We dont' need to really focus on gates, LT is the focal point, no doubt about it.

Comment

Originally posted by go_cutler

What are ur thoughts?...
                    In the recent past when we've faced a team whose best receiver is their tight end, we've covered him at times with Champ. Luckily, we also have speedy receivers so we can mix it up.

The problem is that Rivers is playing well enough that he's able to really spread the ball around and that makes is more difficult for the defense. And even worse is that Tomlinson is such a dangerous weapon as a receiver.

This will be interesting, for sure.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

As great as Sam Brandon has been for Denver, I think there have been times where Denver has showed its weaknesses even with Brandon. That damn Clark killed us in the Indy game. Overall I think we've done a good job but I think there are cracks.

^I don't think I stated that the way I wanted

Comment

You seem to have alot of doubt....Gates hasn't been a factor this year. Lets face it the chargers play run first just like us, If the run dosn't work their offerense just like ours struggles. Our defense is fast and Can deal with a smaller back easier then persay a lemont jordan or a stephen jackson because of their size. They average 222 yards in the air. Granted they played a defense in Cinci that anybody could run or throw against, its hard to judge them off of that game. When they did play a solid defense they scored 13 points. If we play solid defense, we win this game, people kept saying we could never stay with Indy but we did, and we put up more points then the chargers put on the steelers and also 3 more points on on a ravens team, the chargers could say well we beat the st louis but the broncos always play bad the first game of the season, so thats the one game you cannot use. We stop LT from scoring we win this game!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Neversummer672
                          You seem to have alot of doubt....Gates hasn't been a factor this year. Lets face it the chargers play run first just like us, If the run dosn't work their offerense just like ours struggles. Our defense is fast and Can deal with a smaller back easier then persay a lemont jordan or a stephen jackson because of their size. They average 222 yards in the air. Granted they played a defense in Cinci that anybody could run or throw against, its hard to judge them off of that game. When they did play a solid defense they scored 13 points. If we play solid defense, we win this game, people kept saying we could never stay with Indy but we did, and we put up more points then the chargers put on the steelers and also 3 more points on on a ravens team, the chargers could say well we beat the st louis but the broncos always play bad the first game of the season, so thats the one game you cannot use. We stop LT from scoring we win this game!!!!
                          There are a few reasons why Gates hasn’t been as much of a factor this year (so far):

1) As someone already mentioned, Rivers has quickly become adept at spreading the ball around, so Gates is far from the only option
                          2) Rivers and Gates are still working on building the chemistry that he had with Brees after several seasons of working together – it’ll happen (maybe this weekend??)
                          3) Gates’ reputation has become so formidable teams automatically put extra coverage on him – which still works in our favor as he makes a great decoy (though still clutch when we need him to be)

I know you guys will totally gameplan around LT (and why shouldn’t you), which may ultimately work in our favor as well since Rivers has so many other great weapons at his disposal. And as far as our offense struggling if you stop the run, Rivers has proven his ability to succeed airing it out (Baltimore was an anomaly – Marty still had him in training pants)

Yup, should be interesting!

Win or lose, here’s to a great game and no major injuries! I can’t wait….

Comment

Originally posted by RiversWillOwnU
                            There are a few reasons why Gates hasn’t been as much of a factor this year (so far):

1) As someone already mentioned, Rivers has quickly become adept at spreading the ball around, so Gates is far from the only option
                            2) Rivers and Gates are still working on building the chemistry that he had with Brees after several seasons of working together – it’ll happen (maybe this weekend??)
                            3) Gates’ reputation has become so formidable teams automatically put extra coverage on him – which still works in our favor as he makes a great decoy (though still clutch when we need him to be)

I know you guys will totally gameplan around LT (and why shouldn’t you), which may ultimately work in our favor as well since Rivers has so many other great weapons at his disposal. And as far as our offense struggling if you stop the run, Rivers has proven his ability to succeed airing it out (Baltimore was an anomaly – Marty still had him in training pants)

Yup, should be interesting!

Win or lose, here’s to a great game and no major injuries! I can’t wait….
                            he accounts for jsut abour half your points and almost half of your offensive, you take LT out you take out half of the chargers offense, This will be a good game none the less both teams are equally good. But we have shanny no matter how much marty says he changed hes true nature will come out against us in the 4th quarter if the game is close.

Comment

Originally posted by RBI90
                              I don't think that Gates has been as big of a factor this year. Not to downplay his ability, but Rivers doesn't go to him as much as Brees did. The Chargers seem to do a better job of spreading the offense around. Previously unknown guys such as Floyd ,Jackson, and Manumaleuma are getting more touches.
                              That is exactly it. Gates is still a huge part of our offense. The difference is Rivers. He really spreads the ball around to many different receivers. Twice this year, he completed passes to 9 different guys. This is really causing problems for opposing defenses because it really comes down to, pick your poison. Want to double Gates; go ahead, now we have KMac, Vincent Jackson, Malcom Floyd, LT, Eric Parker to cover as well. You double one guy, somebody else will be open and Rivers will find him.

We must be doing something right. We are the highest scoring team in the league.

Comment

Working...
                              X