Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tatum says "He's not the same".

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tatum says "He's not the same".

    I got this article from Sportsline.com

    Tatum Bell, RB DEN

    News: Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was miffed at rookie Mike Bell for his poor play in Week 9, so he benched him in Week 10, when Tatum Bell returned to the lineup despite two sprained big toes and managed just 37 yards on 14 carries. Shanahan mentioned twice this week how disappointed he was in himself for getting fooled by Tatum Bell for insisting he was healthier than he really was. But Shanahan said he was sticking with him as his starter against San Diego on Sunday night. However, Tatum Bell hasn't been able to fully participate in practice this week and on Thursday he said he wouldn't be healthy until the offseason. He also acknowledged he wasn't the same running back as in years past when he spelled the starter and provided the Broncos with a great change of pace. "No, I think I lost a step a little bit" because of his sprained toes, he said. "But I'm getting better, like I say. Hopefully this week I'll be able to go out and make some plays."

    Analysis: We don't like the prospects for Tatum Bell for the rest of the season, especially since he knows he's not playing like his regular self. Consider him a low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB as long as he's active. And definitely keep expectations down.


    Looks like we're going to have to draft a running back this year. I'm hating this running back commitee, worst running game since 1994. We have to draft a true running back who can block, catch, and of course run. Tatum just isn't getting it done, and there is no question he is injury prone.
    Last edited by BSmitty7; 11-17-2006, 11:59 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by BSmitty7
    Looks like we're going to have to draft a running back this year. I'm hating this running back commitee, worst running game since 1994. We have to draft a true running back who can block, catch, and of course run. Tatum just isn't getting it done, and there is no question he is injury prone.
    Our running game is the worst since 1994? Not likely...

    Up until the Raiders game, the Broncos were on pace to rush for well over 2,000 yards this season. I'm sure the Oakland came hurt that prospect, but even at or close to 2,000 yards rushing in a season is pretty darn good.

    I agree that Tatum is not a likely back to be able to carry the ball 25-30 times a game week in and week out for years and years. However, to state he's injury prone is a bit much, considering that almost every back in the NFL has these types of injuries, and it's rare to see a back complete an entire season of football. It's just a difficult position to play - probably the position that get's tackled and hit the most. Even the 'great' backs in the league have struggled with injuries at one point or another. It's just part of the game.

    However, with that said, I agree that I also don't like having a new running back starting every year. Tatum is the answer for this season. Next season, Shanahan is going to have to buckle down and find our next feature back.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Assuming that is reliable info, that is very bad news for the Broncos running game, not to mention Tater's future.

      I like Mike Bell, actually prefer him over Tater, but he's not the home run threat Tater is

      Comment


      • #4
        And Shanahan had his eye on Lawrence Maroney.
        Well, hopefully our first round selection will pay dividends next year.
        But until then :brick:

        Since last year, I've never had much confidence in Tatum to get it done week after week. Although, I fell under false speculation that his season would flurish after he rushed for over 100 yds at Baltimore. Tatum just seems to fall SO easily, no broken tackles; it even seems as though he slips on purpose. . . . . . . . . . . sorry, I guess that is just my frustration and also being spoiled, with having a great running back the past 10 years. I understand that Tatum is not healthy, but I'm sure Mike or Nash can do better at this point.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          See the sig and see what I have been saying all year....

          We need a work horse running back and we need that man in this upcoming draft in the 1st round....

          If not in the 1st round - we better take a DL in the 1st and a RB in the 2nd....

          On a side note....

          GO MICHIGAN - win one for Bo
          I owe CP's to: no one

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BroncFanInPA
            Assuming that is reliable info, that is very bad news for the Broncos running game, not to mention Tater's future.

            I like Mike Bell, actually prefer him over Tater, but he's not the home run threat Tater is
            actually tater is not a home run threat either this year, so MIKE will have the inside edge as he is a more complete back than tater is. Runs harder and more difficult to bring down. Still a rookie and pushing a 3 year vet with not much of a head start, if he is indeed sickly he will have a hard time holding onto the stud Buffalo tag.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JRWIZ
              actually tater is not a home run threat either this year, so MIKE will have the inside edge as he is a more complete back than tater is. Runs harder and more difficult to bring down. Still a rookie and pushing a 3 year vet with not much of a head start, if he is indeed sickly he will have a hard time holding onto the stud Buffalo tag.
              I definately agree Tater hasn't been a home run hitter this year, it's been rather disappointing. Maybe because he has had the large workload, he isn't fresh enough to bust those long runs like last year? He also seems to have happy feet, rather than turning uphill and opening up the throttle.

              The most exciting run this year was Mike Bell's 48 yarder vs Indy

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SM19
                I've yet to see a convincing explanation for this labelling of Bell as "injury-prone." Has he had a few injuries of late? Sure, but in any sports league there'll be players who have more or fewer injuries over a given time period, simply as a result of chance variation. It's certainly not as if Bell is suffering the same injury over and over again -- as far back as I can remember, it's been one thing or another, but seldom the same thing. Not much evidence of any condition that makes him more susceptible to a specific kind of injury (ala Courtney Brown), so we're left with the claim that he's just more likely to suffer completely unrelated injuries from year to year. I'm not sold.
                Every year he has been in the league he has been injured. Is that a good enough explanation?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BSmitty7
                  I got this article from Sportsline.com

                  Tatum Bell, RB DEN

                  News: Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was miffed at rookie Mike Bell for his poor play in Week 9, so he benched him in Week 10, when Tatum Bell returned to the lineup despite two sprained big toes and managed just 37 yards on 14 carries. Shanahan mentioned twice this week how disappointed he was in himself for getting fooled by Tatum Bell for insisting he was healthier than he really was. But Shanahan said he was sticking with him as his starter against San Diego on Sunday night. However, Tatum Bell hasn't been able to fully participate in practice this week and on Thursday he said he wouldn't be healthy until the offseason. He also acknowledged he wasn't the same running back as in years past when he spelled the starter and provided the Broncos with a great change of pace. "No, I think I lost a step a little bit" because of his sprained toes, he said. "But I'm getting better, like I say. Hopefully this week I'll be able to go out and make some plays."

                  Analysis: We don't like the prospects for Tatum Bell for the rest of the season, especially since he knows he's not playing like his regular self. Consider him a low-end No. 2 Fantasy RB as long as he's active. And definitely keep expectations down.


                  Looks like we're going to have to draft a running back this year. I'm hating this running back commitee, worst running game since 1994. We have to draft a true running back who can block, catch, and of course run. Tatum just isn't getting it done, and there is no question he is injury prone.
                  I agree. I am guessing we won't be seeing much more of Tatum after this season.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They need to be stick with one back, Which I think should be Mike Bell.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I hope Tatum gets well for next year. He broke off some amazing runs last year. Watching him run in Baltimore showed me he can be an every down back for a game...for the season???...he'll still have to prove that. But I think we give him a chance next year to keep the tag. C'mon...he was leading the league until he got hurt...and that was sharing carries early on!!

                      Go Tatum! Heal quick!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From what I see, when Mike Bell hits a hole clean, he'll get in the secondary pretty fast. I think coach had this thing pegged right. He wasn't sending the message to Tatum Bell about being the starter, he did some reverse mojo, and now might have a hungrier Mike Bell so he gets the start back. I think Mike could run Tatum out of Denver.
                        If he wants it ...

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Who is that guy from West Virginia, he looks real good. Anyone know if he is a JR or SR?
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 24SuperChamp
                            Who is that guy from West Virginia, he looks real good. Anyone know if he is a JR or SR?
                            Steve Slaton, he's a sophomore actually, so no chance at seeing him in the draft this year. I like the guy too, but I don't think he has the size yet to really become a top flight RB in the NFL yet. Who knows a year or two more of development and he could look to be one of the better drafts (he's 5'10, 185 lbs).

                            If you ask me I think Adrian Peterson looks to be the best incoming RB this year. His stats don't say it but, this kid has got a lot of power, speed, and can make cuts with the best of them. He doesn't have the speed and cuts like you see in the NCAA football leader like Garret Wolfe, but then if you ask me, wolfe has great ability, but with the big defenses, and hard hitting fast LB's and Safeties in the NFL, I don't think he will be extremely succesful (though I do think he will be able to make it in the NFL). Peterson is fast, makes good cuts (but not amazing ones), and has tons of power to unload. Unfortunately I think this guy will go early in round one, which, if we keep up to our current form, will make him an unlikely candidate for our draft picks.

                            Here's a link to some of Peterson's highlights from last year (funny enough I found it on his fan clubs sight). Guy looks like a great runner. One of the few big NCAA RB's that have footage of their exploits on the net....

                            http://www.adrian-peterson.com/adria...ideo-cake.html
                            sigpic
                            The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                            Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              SLATON.
                              Dude has some moves, huh !!??

                              I think he is a sophmore, if not, a junior. Either way, he has some skills that would look good in the blue and orange.

                              I've been bringing his name up in several football boards.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X