Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booher
    replied
    imo television became so much more enjoyable to watch after the hd set. Prices are coming down too 2 years ago I bought a 50" bigscreen for more than my 55" widescreen I just purchased. Can't wait to see the bronos in hd and as a treat for an east coast guy it's gonna be on sunday night week 1.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    It not that I feel peole are trying to shove it down my throat. Its just that I don't understand how this will effect my life. I mean, that's a lot of money that I can get a better return on by splitting it between savings and investing.

Its the same with a DVD or my own cell phone. No one can explain how they will have a positive effect on my life.

Not my cup o tea.

Or maybe I AM just a cheap bastard, like everyone tells me.
    Heh, if you don't perceive the value then there IS no value...for you. Beauty...or in this case...value is in the eye of the beholder. I also place a high value on stashing money away for the future. But I also believe in splurging a bit now and then. For me, DVD and Hi-Def improve my movie/T.V. watching experience so I don't mind putting some money into them.
    Originally posted by BlueDamsel
    I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, I love all the newest technologies. However, I don't have the money to go out & get a new tv at this point...I'm still paying off my other toys
    Don't worry, you'll get there. Unfortunately, some toys are more expensive than others. HDTV is a bit of a costly investment so I'll probably be paying for it for a while. Oh, well. I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by eastcoastbrawla
    lol, in the eastcoast you don't see crap except for some gay *** rag McNabb. Oh yeah and the primetime games for the Broncos, and SOME OTHERS Occasionally.
    Lol, I guess I'm a little more lucky then you !

They dont always show them here but we do get quite a few, the most we get is the Chiefs... .

Leave a comment:

• BlueDamsel
    replied
    Aye it must be that last one!

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, I love all the newest technologies. However, I don't have the money to go out & get a new tv at this point...I'm still paying off my other toys

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    HDTV will be the standard here in the states so whatever Japan is developing won't really have much of an effect here. I plan to buy a high definition setup in the next year or so regardless of price. It's just like computers; if you keep waiting to buy the new technology waiting around the corner you'll never end up buying anything because there's always something new around the corner.

The only decisions for me are when and what. When will there be enough content for my needs? (The Broncos in Hi-Def would be great!) What technology will I choose? Plasma, LCD, LCoS? Hi-Def via cable, DirecTV, Dish, Voom, or over the air?

While I am definitely at the other end of the spectrum, I fully respect your position. I love the clarity of HDTV and it definitely enhances my enjoyment of my favorite movies and shows. But if it does nothing for you, I wouldn't think of trying to shove it down your throat. To each his own...
    It not that I feel peole are trying to shove it down my throat. Its just that I don't understand how this will effect my life. I mean, that's a lot of money that I can get a better return on by splitting it between savings and investing.

Its the same with a DVD or my own cell phone. No one can explain how they will have a positive effect on my life.

Not my cup o tea.

Or maybe I AM just a cheap bastard, like everyone tells me.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris
    Do NOT by an HDTV now

They will all become much cheaper by the end of the decade, plus the content is only emerging just now. Also there are even newer technologies which are of higher quality (being developed in japan) and could render hdtv crap
    HDTV will be the standard here in the states so whatever Japan is developing won't really have much of an effect here. I plan to buy a high definition setup in the next year or so regardless of price. It's just like computers; if you keep waiting to buy the new technology waiting around the corner you'll never end up buying anything because there's always something new around the corner.

The only decisions for me are when and what. When will there be enough content for my needs? (The Broncos in Hi-Def would be great!) What technology will I choose? Plasma, LCD, LCoS? Hi-Def via cable, DirecTV, Dish, Voom, or over the air?
    Originally posted by Jared
    I personally don't care about hi-def. I have seen it. Its nice. But not even close to being a necessity. It won't improve the quality of my life or the quality of the shows on the TV. Its akin to everyone telling me that I HAVE to get a DVD and home theater set up. I am "missing so much" in the movies I watch. Well, a sucky movie on DVD is just a better looking sucky movie. A crappy tv show in hi-def will still be crappy, just crap with a lot moe detail.
    While I am definitely at the other end of the spectrum, I fully respect your position. I love the clarity of HDTV and it definitely enhances my enjoyment of my favorite movies and shows. But if it does nothing for you, I wouldn't think of trying to shove it down your throat. To each his own...

Leave a comment:

• Booher
    replied
    clarity and 5.1 sound........ football and baseball are sweet on hd. especially on a widecreen. I have like 10 channels and use the hd alot . especially every sunday w/ sopranos on hbohd. Espnhd is another great channel all the games including this years nba playoffs on hd. Well worth the money i spent ,investment for the family.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
    I don't understand what makes it better.

Are the colors more vibrant or something?

Without being an engineer, I do know that aside from a different screen ratio, it also has a lot more dots per line and lines per screen than current TV. This is sort of like the resolution settings on your scanner or digital camera. The higher the higher the DPI setting, the sharper the image. With TV, the more lines per screen, the more detail in the image being broadcast.

Leave a comment:

• NameUsedBefore
    replied
    I don't understand what makes it better.

Are the colors more vibrant or something?

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Re: Do It...

Originally posted by Black59Razor
    Stimulate our economy...go ahead and spend the jack...everything will be in HDTV by 2006 anyway...

Razor
    I dunno. When I was in college in 1993, my comm professors told us to make sure we understood how hi-def worked, because of FCC legislation that would madate it by 1997. Then by 1999...then by 2001.....

I think that the FCC either misjudged demand for it, or doesn't understand the particulars of switching over from analog to hi-def/digital broadcasting. They are all lawyers, not engineers.

Anyway, I just don't think there is enough demand at current prices for the equipment for a complete switchover by 2006. If people's TV's work fine, most of them don't have the desire or budget to spend money on a new TV that has features they don't want or understand.

I personally don't care about hi-def. I have seen it. Its nice. But not even close to being a necessity. It won't improve the quality of my life or the quality of the shows on the TV. Its akin to everyone telling me that I HAVE to get a DVD and home theater set up. I am "missing so much" in the movies I watch. Well, a sucky movie on DVD is just a better looking sucky movie. A crappy tv show in hi-def will still be crappy, just crap with a lot moe detail.
    Last edited by Jared; 04-18-2004, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Do NOT by an HDTV now

They will all become much cheaper by the end of the decade, plus the content is only emerging just now. Also there are even newer technologies which are of higher quality (being developed in japan) and could render hdtv crap

Leave a comment:

• ReleaseTheBeast7
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim
    I dont care if the game is in black & white, as long as they show it !
    lol, in the eastcoast you don't see crap except for some gay *** rag McNabb. Oh yeah and the primetime games for the Broncos, and SOME OTHERS Occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• Booher
    replied
    yes they are week 1 is in hd..........can't wait

Leave a comment:

• portisistheman
    replied
    I believe they are...

Leave a comment:

• BlueDamsel
    replied
    Aren't the espn games in High Def. ???