• RunYouOver
    replied
    Good article.

Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• bronco bible
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    Trust me. Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris, good as they were, were not the players
    Floyd Little was. That coming from a person who did see them all.

-----
    I wanted to make the same point Top!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JWinn
    replied
    Merged again. :thumb:

Suprised nobody mentioned Floyd was here Friday, at the stadium store signing his new book. Was hoping for a few stories about it.

I couldnt get down there.

Leave a comment:

• Shaolin
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    Yes it has. http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=76254

And it already has been merged once.

-----

okay
    thanks and sorry

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Bump once for Floyd.

-----

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Yes it has. http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=76254

And it already has been merged once.

-----

Leave a comment:

• Shaolin
    replied
    Floyd Little

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2666957

sorry if its already been posted

interesting article

Leave a comment:

• sanebronfan1119
    replied
    Little speaks redux

Thanks to all the responses about Floyd Little's comments on ESPN. Many were spot on; I couldn't have said it better. Even those who mitigated Little's comments a tad brought up some good points.

I would only add that Floyd Little's place in both AFL and NFL history is special, and not unlike guys like Namath or Lance Alworth, both of whom are in the HOF, and rightly so.

Like Namath and Alworth, Little DID come to Denver when he could have went elsewhere. Guys like Butkus and Merlin Olson--each drafted by Denver--instead chose the more established NFL. I might have done the same had I been them, but that shows what kind of person Little was.

But besides that--character not a primary consdieration when it comes to the Hall of Fame--Little was a consummate warrior. He could play today. He was a productive RB when everybody, and I mean every single living human being on the planet, knew he was the only major scoring threat Denver had. His heart was as big as Cheyenne Mountain.

I don't think I'm overstating the fact--and you old-timers can back me up on this--that Floyd Little played on some TERRIBLE Bronco teams, absolutely dreadful.

Younger fans who grew up with Elway don't really appreciate this part of Bronco history.

I remember when a SINGLE WIN over the Chiefs or Raiders or Chargers in the regular season would be cause for major citywide celebrations. I recall a Bronco win at Mile High over Joe Namath's Jets the year after NY won SB III, and you'd have though we won the championship.

I remember when the only thing Denver fans could look forward to, was the chance at throwing cups of beer out of the South Stands at the likes of Hank Stram, Daryl Lamonica, and John Hadl--just before their teams went out and whipped the Broncos by four TDs or more.

(I remember these times when guys moan about a three-point loss to Indy as if the sky just collapsed).

Yet through all those awful teams, Little remained among pro football's best. I really hope he gets his due. He deserves it.

Outstanding work on these posts folks. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    Ok, now, perhaps Floyd Little should be in the hall-of-fame, I dont know, I never saw him play.

But he says if he plays for the NY giants he'd be in?

Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris are players I did see play, and statiscally, their careers were very similar to those of Floyd Little, yet you will never ever hear talk about them making the Hall of Fame.
    Trust me. Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris, good as they were, were not the players
    Floyd Little was. That coming from a person who did see them all.

-----

Leave a comment:

• topscribe
    replied
    Lvbronx, thank you for that . . .

That was really a touching post. Floyd was my idol back then. I remember an
    interview that Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick did with a magazine, in which they said
    Floyd was the best running back of his time. Your comment, "Floyd Little had more
    spectacular two yard runs than any RB in history," pretty well summed it up. He
    turned a pathetic doormat of a team into one that could win a game once in a
    while.

Floyd could have taken a middle-of-the-road team and made them a championship
    contender. Had he been a Raider or Jet . . . one of the juggernauts of that time . . .
    he would long since have been in the HOF and have been mentioned in the same
    breath as all the greats. I really believe that.

Long live the memory of #44, our first hero, The Franchise.

P.S. Jim Brown said it best: "Anyone who's played against you and with you and
    watched you play knows you're a Hall of Famer." I watched Floyd play. I saw his
    first game, his last game, and many in between. That is how I know he should be
    in the Hall of Fame.

-----
    Last edited by topscribe; 11-18-2006, 05:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Go Floyd LIttle!

Speaking the truth...

He's absolutely correct.

Leave a comment:

• SkyFlash1
    replied
    "The reason why he [might not] get in is because he played for the Broncos. "

About says it all.

Leave a comment:

• DawgFanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx
    Statistically, maybe, but in reality those players didn't have the career Floyd did. It was a different game in Floyd's day and when he retired he was the 9th all-time leading rusher in NFL history...All while playing behind maybe the worst OL in NFL history.

Here's my basic memory of Floyd: Fake one guy out, run over another, then drag the third guy three yards, just to get back to the line of scrimmage. Floyd Little had more spectacular two yard runs than any RB in history.

Maybe Floyd's most memorable play: He had fumbled late in a game and was literally fired by coach Lou Saban. But, Floyd refused to leave the game and when the offense got back on the field, Floyd demanded the QB (Tensi?) to throw him the ball, which Floyd turned into a 70+ yard game-winning TD.

Also, Floyd wore #44 at Syracuse, maybe the most honorable jersey in college football history. His coach called Floyd the best football player he ever coached, which included Jim Brown, who many consider the best football player of all time. Floyd Little was probably the most honored college football player ever to wear a Bronco uniform.

Also, Floyd was the first #1 draft choice to sign with the Broncos. He could have gone to the NFL (instead of the AFL) and gotten more recognition and played with a better team. But when asked why he chose the Broncos, Floyd said, "Because they need me." It wasn't about money or fame, it was about a great player willing to help a pathetic football team.

Floyd was the only star we had for many years, and without Floyd it is very likely the owners (the Phipps Brothers) would have likely sold the team or moved them elsewhere.

He saved this franchise for the city of Denver. Basically, no Floyd Little then, no Denver Broncos now. Nuff said.

wow, owned, just another east coast bias crap with the HOF, cp your way

Leave a comment:

• spikerman
    replied
    Originally posted by lvbronx
    Statistically, maybe, but in reality those players didn't have the career Floyd did. It was a different game in Floyd's day and when he retired he was the 9th all-time leading rusher in NFL history...All while playing behind maybe the worst OL in NFL history.

Here's my basic memory of Floyd: Fake one guy out, run over another, then drag the third guy three yards, just to get back to the line of scrimmage. Floyd Little had more spectacular two yard runs than any RB in history.

Maybe Floyd's most memorable play: He had fumbled late in a game and was literally fired by coach Lou Saban. But, Floyd refused to leave the game and when the offense got back on the field, Floyd demanded the QB (Tensi?) to throw him the ball, which Floyd turned into a 70+ yard game-winning TD.

Also, Floyd wore #44 at Syracuse, maybe the most honorable jersey in college football history. His coach called Floyd the best football player he ever coached, which included Jim Brown, who many consider the best football player of all time. Floyd Little was probably the most honored college football player ever to wear a Bronco uniform.

Also, Floyd was the first #1 draft choice to sign with the Broncos. He could have gone to the NFL (instead of the AFL) and gotten more recognition and played with a better team. But when asked why he chose the Broncos, Floyd said, "Because they need me." It wasn't about money or fame, it was about a great player willing to help a pathetic football team.

Floyd was the only star we had for many years, and without Floyd it is very likely the owners (the Phipps Brothers) would have likely sold the team or moved them elsewhere.

He saved this franchise for the city of Denver. Basically, no Floyd Little then, no Denver Broncos now. Nuff said.

Wow.. Nice history! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• lvbronx
    replied
    Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
    Ok, now, perhaps Floyd Little should be in the hall-of-fame, I dont know, I never saw him play.

But he says if he plays for the NY giants he'd be in?

Rodney Hampton and Joe Morris are players I did see play, and statiscally, their careers were very similar to those of Floyd Little, yet you will never ever hear talk about them making the Hall of Fame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X