Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Coyer... (merged)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Loyalty
    Denver has so many problems but the defense has some major problems (besides the punter and lack of offense). I think it is our scheme and the lack of adjustments. How do you blow a 24-7 lead? Larry Coyer needs to be fired and Shanahan needs to hire a 3-4 defensive coordinator.

    Why does Denver do an all out blitz yet play cover 3 zone and give the WR a 7-10 yard cushion? The Cowboys demonstrated yesterday how to play pressure defense. The defense is the same as it was under Ray Rhodes during 2001-2002. If you compare the two you will find pretty comparable problems and numbers. Denver lacks a consistent pass rush and cover safeties. Yeah I am saying it John Lynch as a great of a guy as he is, is a has been.

    I am not a Coyer fan either, but firing Coyer doesn't solve anything. It takes teams time to adjust to new DC's scheme's and style's. It would probably set the team back and cause more confusion and problems.

    We have a good defense and it isn't like we play the NFC North every year. We play KC and SD twice a year along with Indy. We play some tough offenses. They played well against SD and Indy in the first half, but three and outs and lack of offense keeps our defense on the field. They can't be on the field all day and continue to stop these high powered offenses. In the fourth quarter they are exhausted and these high powered offenses take advantage of it.

    Ther glory day Broncos defense wasn't all that great, but Denver's offense always had productive, time consuming drives, which rested the defense and kept them fresh.
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by TU_HurricaneDB
      Been saying fire Coyer for 2 years as well as some other Bronco fans. We use three draft picks to get fast speedy bump and run corners but we have them play short zones a majority of the time. When he designs a blitz he send defensive players right at offensive lineman who are not tied up, he is not creative and and he is so predictable. How did such a bad D-coordinator get hired by us. Anyone with half a brain could do better with the talent we have.
      Do you understand that using a zone defense allows the defense to be proactive, where they can read and anticipate plays. This creates more turnovers. Darrants TD return was a perfect example.

      Having them play man you just have all that speed running over the field chasing WR's and not making plays. Good NFL QB's pick apart man coverage (Champ is the exception, that's why he is so valuable.)
      The three Keys to football
      1. Turnovers
      2. Field Position
      3. Red Zone Play

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by BroncoRT
        I am not a Coyer fan either, but firing Coyer doesn't solve anything. It takes teams time to adjust to new DC's scheme's and style's. It would probably set the team back and cause more confusion and problems.

        We have a good defense and it isn't like we play the NFC North every year. We play KC and SD twice a year along with Indy. We play some tough offenses. They played well against SD and Indy in the first half, but three and outs and lack of offense keeps our defense on the field. They can't be on the field all day and continue to stop these high powered offenses. In the fourth quarter they are exhausted and these high powered offenses take advantage of it.

        Ther glory day Broncos defense wasn't all that great, but Denver's offense always had productive, time consuming drives, which rested the defense and kept them fresh.

        As noted by Wimpy in previous post

        Originally posted by wimpy
        Code:
        Time Poss Drive Began # of Plays Yards Gained Result 
        [COLOR=Yellow]1:00 DEN         9               3                  6            Punt 
        1:01 DEN        42               3                 4           Punt 
        6:51 DEN        12             13                88          Touchdown 
        1:00 DEN        16              3                   4          Punt 
        3:42 DEN        14              8                  86        Touchdown 
        4:12 SD          47               7                 23         Field Goal 
        0:29 DEN        20              3                   0          Punt [/COLOR] 
        [COLOR=Red]7:38 DEN        20             14                 60          Field Goal 
        3:42 DEN        20               7                 18          Interception 
        1:14 DEN          2               6                 48          End of Game [/COLOR]
        Which 40 second time of possesion are you referring to?

        The ones in yellow when the Broncos had a lead or the ones in red after the Chargers started scoring at will.
        There was ONE three and out in the last half, the other possessions were 14, 7, and 6 plays. Broncos had the ball 16:37 minutes in the second half, I repeat ONE THREE and out.

        Coyer must go if his vaunted D can't get the job done. maybe the shake up would get all those top draft choices attention. Frankly it is the system that is failing IMHO, not the talent. We have not touched a WR near the LOS in 3 years especially against good QB's and they have drooled at playing COYER FOILLIES and there bend but don't break Defense.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by BroncoRT
          Do you understand that using a zone defense allows the defense to be proactive, where they can read and anticipate plays. This creates more turnovers. Darrants TD return was a perfect example.

          Having them play man you just have all that speed running over the field chasing WR's and not making plays. Good NFL QB's pick apart man coverage (Champ is the exception, that's why he is so valuable.)
          It is not working as noted by the gazillion yards our pass defense is giving up.

          #23 in yards
          http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...r?sort_col_1=8

          tied at #31 for attempts against them

          http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...=3&_1:col_2=11

          27 at % completed

          http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=6&_1:col_2=3

          Sorry Coyers follies is not doing the job.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JRWIZ
            It is not working as noted by the gazillion yards our pass defense is giving up.

            #23 in yards
            http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...r?sort_col_1=8

            tied at #31 for attempts against them

            http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...=3&_1:col_2=11

            27 at % completed

            http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NF...1=6&_1:col_2=3

            Sorry Coyers follies is not doing the job.

            As you know JR no matter what coverage you have, if your pass rush is not consistant, a good QB will pick it apart all day long.

            I am not a big Coyer fan but letting Coyer go could cause more problems.
            The three Keys to football
            1. Turnovers
            2. Field Position
            3. Red Zone Play

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by JRWIZ
              As noted by Wimpy in previous post



              There was ONE three and out in the last half, the other possessions were 14, 7, and 6 plays. Broncos had the ball 16:37 minutes in the second half, I repeat ONE THREE and out.

              Coyer must go if his vaunted D can't get the job done. maybe the shake up would get all those top draft choices attention. Frankly it is the system that is failing IMHO, not the talent. We have not touched a WR near the LOS in 3 years especially against good QB's and they have drooled at playing COYER FOILLIES and there bend but don't break Defense.

              Three of the first four drives were three and outs. That's what killed the defense and these series of plays in the first quarter are felt in the fourth quarter. Especially with a high powered offense like SD. No defense can stop LT that many times, not even the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens.
              The three Keys to football
              1. Turnovers
              2. Field Position
              3. Red Zone Play

              Comment


              • #37
                I'm all for firing Coyer at the end of the season, but more than likely he'll return next year on the account that we'll still be a team with a winning record. Now do I think he should return no, but theres nothing we can do about it. He needs to learn how to adjust his gameplan after 1/2 time though this is seriously getting pathetic. If we do indeed fire Coyer I hope its an adequate 4-3 defense coach.

                Because everybody thats calling for a 3-4 defense must realize how much trouble we'll have to go through just to retool the defense for such a scheme. We'll have to basically scrap out starting front 7 to run the defense. The only players that will fit into the defense are Wilson and Williams. Warren can play in the system as the NT, but doesn't want to be there only to tieup blockers so we'd have to put him at LE/RE and he'd still basically be sucking up blockers. He'd rebel on us just like he rebelled in Cleveland.

                Meyers can be a backup DE/NT, but everybody else thats a starter will be traded/cut to accomodate the 3-4 defense. Gold is way to small to even be considered a factor in the 3-4 defense unless we move him to the S position and then he'd be another Lynch. From the bench we'd be able to keep Dumervil and Chukwurah as the rush ends. Engleburger and Peterson could return as well, but as a whole the front 7 would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Mainly using draft picks in the top ends of the draft.

                Seeing that we have a problem drafting D-linemen as it is what on earth makes you think Shanahan and co are going to sell out all our picks on D-linemen. Now I know the majority of us on the baords want us to draft D-line myself included. The odds of it happening are low, but we can only hope Shanahan breaks his previous trends and gets us a run stuffing DT or complete DE in the 1st round and the later of the 2 in the 2nd round and/or 3rd round. We are in serious need of a youthful talent infusion on the defensive line its been neglected for years.
                sigpic
                PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
                You Shed Tears of Scarlet

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by vicious2500
                  I'm all for firing Coyer at the end of the season, but more than likely he'll return next year on the account that we'll still be a team with a winning record. Now do I think he should return no, but theres nothing we can do about it. He needs to learn how to adjust his gameplan after 1/2 time though this is seriously getting pathetic. If we do indeed fire Coyer I hope its an adequate 4-3 defense coach.

                  Because everybody thats calling for a 3-4 defense must realize how much trouble we'll have to go through just to retool the defense for such a scheme. We'll have to basically scrap out starting front 7 to run the defense. The only players that will fit into the defense are Wilson and Williams. Warren can play in the system as the NT, but doesn't want to be there only to tieup blockers so we'd have to put him at LE/RE and he'd still basically be sucking up blockers. He'd rebel on us just like he rebelled in Cleveland.

                  Meyers can be a backup DE/NT, but everybody else thats a starter will be traded/cut to accomodate the 3-4 defense. Gold is way to small to even be considered a factor in the 3-4 defense unless we move him to the S position and then he'd be another Lynch. From the bench we'd be able to keep Dumervil and Chukwurah as the rush ends. Engleburger and Peterson could return as well, but as a whole the front 7 would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. Mainly using draft picks in the top ends of the draft.

                  Seeing that we have a problem drafting D-linemen as it is what on earth makes you think Shanahan and co are going to sell out all our picks on D-linemen. Now I know the majority of us on the baords want us to draft D-line myself included. The odds of it happening are low, but we can only hope Shanahan breaks his previous trends and gets us a run stuffing DT or complete DE in the 1st round and the later of the 2 in the 2nd round and/or 3rd round. We are in serious need of a youthful talent infusion on the defensive line its been neglected for years.
                  This upcoming draft has good WR's (Johnson, Jarret, Samardzija, Rice, Ginn,) and good DE's in Moses, Adams, Abiamiri and Woodley. That is a good sign for Denver in that there is talent in places where Denver has weakness'. But we all know Shanny loves offense, so taking dlineman in the first might be unlikely. :brick:
                  The three Keys to football
                  1. Turnovers
                  2. Field Position
                  3. Red Zone Play

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Don't fire; well maybe you do

                    Here's a vote for keeping him.

                    I don't think you fire Coyer when an LT or Peyton Manning beats him. Now, if a stiff like Lamont Jordan, JJ Arrington, or Joey Harrington lit him up, that's a different story.

                    Still, if Greg Robinson, who helped Shanahan win a title for cripessake, didn't escape the man's axe, it's hard to see how Coyer will.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X