Shanahan Confirms Jake Will Start @ Kansas City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan Confirms Jake Will Start @ Kansas City

On 850 KOA 'The Ride Home', Mike Shanahan confirmed that Jake Plummer will start in Kansas City on Thursday. He also stated that it's 'unfortunate' that Jake gets the blame when he feels that they need to get better as a unit. However, he again did not state if Jake's not the problem, then what is specifically causing the offensive woes. He stated that he was disappointed with the defense allowing San Diego to come back, and reiterated again that there will be changes on Special Teams.

Basically, here's what I think. I think he knows Jake's struggling, but I think he likes Jake enough and knows the team supports Jake that he's unwilling to call Jake out directly to the media, as he did Brian Griese on a few different occassions. I think that's good, but I still believe that Jake's starting job is on the line on Thursday, and nothing short of a victory will prevent Jay from starting against Seattle.
    Last edited by mojo0730; 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM.
    sigpic

Nooooo! :hammer: :brick:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730
      On 850 KOA 'The Ride Home', Mike Shanahan confirmed that Jake Plummer will start in Kansas City on Thursday. He also stated that it's 'unfortunate' that Jake gets the blame when he feels that they need to get better as a unit. However, he again did not state if Jake's not the problem, then what is specifically causing the offensive woes. He stated that he was disappointed with the defense allowing San Diego to come back, and reiterated again that there will be changes on Special Teams.

Basically, here's what I think. I think he knows Jake's struggling, but I think he like Jake enough and knows the team supports Jake that he's unwilling to call Jake out directly to the media, as he did Brian Griese on a few different occassions. I think that's good, but I still believe that Jake's starting job is on the line on Thursday, and nothing short of a victory will prevent Jay from starting against Seattle.

Well I am glad he addressed the Defense and Special teams. They can ALL share the blame and it sounds like Shanahan realizes that ( unlike some fans ) its a TEAM game and it was a TEAM meltdown.

Comment

Amen I love Shanny a lesser coach might have buckled under the pressure and sent Cutler to the slaughter of KC
        sigpicPlease Help A die Hard Broncos Fan Out, And Share Or Pledge My Kickstarter Party Game "Help Wanted" http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...help-wanted-0/

Comment

Originally posted by watchthemiddle
          Well I am glad he addressed the Defense and Special teams. They can ALL share the blame and it sounds like Shanahan realizes that ( unlike some fans ) its a TEAM game and it was a TEAM meltdown.
          I will not disagree that the entire team fell apart midway through the third quarter, and it wasn't just Jake Plummer playing poorly.

However, there's no doubt in my mind that Jake has been the most inconsistent player on the team all year long. And despite flashes of what he was, he is clearly struggling this year.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elwayfan2k
            Amen I love Shanny a lesser coach might have buckled under the pressure and sent Cutler to the slaughter of KC
            I 100% agree. Kansas City is not the place you want Cutler to make his debut.
            sigpic

Comment

I may be one of the few who does not feel the defense let the team down. I realize the points they gave up in the 2nd half, but SD was handed great field position by the special teams, also by an int, and many times in the 2nd half, the offense went 3 and out. In the second half, the defense constantly had their backs to the wall against a VERY explosive offensive team.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Basically, here's what I think. I think he knows Jake's struggling, but I think he likes Jake enough and knows the team supports Jake that he's unwilling to call Jake out directly to the media, as he did Brian Griese on a few different occassions. I think that's good, but I still believe that Jake's starting job is on the line on Thursday, and nothing short of a victory will prevent Jay from starting against Seattle.
                I agree and think it's the right thing. Cutler starting in Arrowhead w/a short prep. time is crazy (almost, considering how Plummer plays). BUT, I think that's exactly correct if we come out 7-4, Cutler has his best chance to get in.
                John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

even for the people who love Jay cutler.....

they should be happy cutler is not starting now.....going TO KC....the against the seahawks....then TO SD.....

common.....thats not the time or places to get a rookie qb started in the nfl.....

cutler is the future.....but plummer is "the now" so to say.....
                  "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
                  -The best in the business-

Comment

I too am glad, I honestly dont see how Jake will start if we struggle against KC. But I dont think it was all on Jake. I am glad he is startin this game cuz it would be down right stupid if he dint but past this its anyones guess
                    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by TheMastermind
                      even for the people who love Jay cutler.....

they should be happy cutler is not starting now.....going TO KC....the against the seahawks....then TO SD.....

common.....thats not the time or places to get a rookie qb started in the nfl.....

cutler is the future.....but plummer is "the now" so to say.....
                      I strongly disagree with you..
                      i feel that jay will give more chances of winning than plummer.

plummer is doing lot of mistakes this season at crucial times..
                      he will feel more pressure now and will commit more mistakes against KC..

let's see ...

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
                        I may be one of the few who does not feel the defense let the team down. I realize the points they gave up in the 2nd half, but SD was handed great field position by the special teams, also by an int, and many times in the 2nd half, the offense went 3 and out. In the second half, the defense constantly had their backs to the wall against a VERY explosive offensive team.
                        So you must have been thrilled with the 99 yard drive by the Chargers... The defense definitely contributed to the loss. So did Jake. I don't know what it's going to take to get him started again, like last year's Plummer, but he sure needs to. I'm not bummed about Jake starting against KC, again, for the good of Cutler, but he needs to do some of those "one giant step for mankind" things, like this week. If we can't beat division foes, then we can't hope to have a claim of a playoff spot, nor should we. It would be a waste .... Yes, more so than last year.

Comment

Thank god he's addressing the Special Teams or lack there of.
                          IMO, Jake is secure for the entire season. Barring a major injury, Plummer is and will continue to be the Starting QB. Shanahan has stated it time and time again that Cutler will not play this year so it drives me nuts to see all these "Start Cutler" or "Bench Jake" threads when everyone knows good and well it's not going to happen
                          sigpic

Comment

A team game? No I thought that most think that if it is a win it is a team win and if it is a loss its Jake loss/fault.

Your correct it was a defensive melt down and ST did not even show up to the game. Just why did we have sapp in returning KO's he does not have the speed to out run someone more than thirty yards it was like "well if he does get a return we only expect him to get to mid-field." I wonder which moron thought that one up. Any firings in Broncoland of coaches today?

I don't know why everyone was thinking that we would beat SAN to start out with, at the begining of the year I said it would be a split factoring in that by our second meeting rivers would be though his "rookie" jitters and they would have an alternative at WR to mcardle.

Seems he is a better QB than even his coach thought as he wanted to keep breeze and peddle rivers.

Comment

In order for Denver to win all aspects of the team need improvement, not just Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X