Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before placing blame, look at the tight ends and wide receiver numbers....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before placing blame, look at the tight ends and wide receiver numbers....

The Denver Broncos miss Mr. Kubiak. How can you expect a team to maintain corporate memory when they lose a talent that lived and coached through Elway's time. I am thinking an 11 and 5 season at best and a wild card. The AFC west is really tuff. Thats just a start. Before placing blame on Jake Plumber like little kids, look at the wide receiver and tightend numbers. Look at the depth chart. Look at the 2006 numbers. After 9 games the only wide receiver with respectable numbers is Javon Walker.

Lets look at the 2006 numbers a little closer: Rod Smith 32 catches for 318, Kircus 6 catches for 122 yards, Alexander 11 for 105 yards, Scheffler 6 for 67, Marshal 2 for 22...........

Javon Walker 41 catches for 714 yards.....

Compare this to the Colts Reggie Wayne 55 for 885 and Marvin Harrison 60 for 813

Compare this to Chargers : Gates 44 for 523, Parker 34 for 490, Tomlinson 47 for 451, McCardell 30 for 370 This reflects a quarterback that knows his receivers and all their on the field behaviors. He lets the play develop and waits for the opportunity.

With one more star wide receiver, opposing teams would have to play man to man coverage, the Safeties would have to commit to the down field, and the Bronco running game would regain the innitiative. ( Tatem bell is a 6 yard per carrie average guy and Mike Bell is a badass, Cecil Sapp is another damn good player) Our runningbacks are excellent. With a good passing game, the Broncos could run down trhe throats of anyone.

Shanahan is playing conservative this year because he lost Kubiak to Houston and his pass receivers are average. ( It took Schottenheimer decades to finally beat the Broncos like this) Its like losing a couple of guns on a Manowar battleship, you know what he has got, you just hope you can withstand the onslaught. Kubiak was 4 100 pound parrot guns with case shot. I cryed when he left.

Their play book reflects the loss of Kubiak's Coaching talent. The NFL is determined by inches and corpoarte memory....................The loss of Kubiak allowed Schottenheimer the win. ( Plumber throwing interceptions didnt help, it was however written in the stars) He has been in the trenches with Cleveland, Kansas City, and San Diego. He finally got his due..............Inches and corporate memory.......... The Steelers won the superbowl because of their team concept, hardwork, corporate memory ,and a new spastic quarterback that no one could figure out. No one can figure out Rivers yet!!! Everyone now has figured out Rothlessburger. ( We should have kicked Pittsburgs ass last year), it was a gift to Betiss) They will figure Rivers out. This is Schottenheimers best shot at the superbowl ever. Meanwhile Plumber and the Broncos will just get better. They wont care if they get figured out, they will just steamrole everyone anyways.Shanahan and the Broncos will always be the best.

Meanwhile either the pass receivers mentioned above are either to slow to get open, cant catch the ball, or Jake Plumber does not read his field well. Jake only needs just a few more down field, scrimmage (possesion) and across the middle (Macafrey style) opportunities to open up the running game. It seems the tight ends and wide receivers have yet to develop an identity through excellence. Elway had the 3 amigos he could depend on Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel. He could depend on Rod Smith and Macafrey. Jake can only depend on Javon right now, and to a lesser extent Rod Smith. Last year Ashley Lalee helped with 3rd down conversions because he could catch the ball down field. he saved many a 3rd downs. The others have yet to gain confiidence or an identity. One of them has to step up to the plate now! I was dissapointed when they let Puzier go, he was the first tightend we have had since Macafrey that had good hands and would go across the middle. I had high hopes that Scheffler would be better than he is. A big guy , good hands, who could punish the defense. As it is, he has no identity. When is he going to arrive? Losing Duane Carswell to an accident was a tragedy. he couldnt come back from that. The Broncos need another Duane Carswell. or Shannon Sharpe.

Javon Walker has the abillity to get open and he can catch the football. When Plumber forces it to the rest of the pass receivers, they either drop the ball or it gets intercepted. Even Payton Manning could do little with this. The pass receivers are not stepping up to the plate, running their routes and getting open. The play book is conservative, and the running game is suffering from this. Rod Smith although a great player, is not getting the numbers he is used to. Look at the histrory of past Broncos or any other NFL team. When the numbers start to drop on seasoned players, they never come back. It happened to Macafrey, Haven Moses, Rylie Odoms, Lyn Swann, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss etc. etc. etc. The Broncos need a first round draft pic Wide receiver or a good free agent. Watch the tapes, the pass receivers are not getting open on zone or man to man defenses.

Without a passing game, one does not have a running game. Without a running game, one does not have a passing game.

Plumber is part of the problem . He does not enjoy the synergy of really good pass receivers. Collectively they do not have regular football move behaviors he can vent to. One could say he doesnt know his receivers, and he isnt asking enough of them. Throw the ball to them like Elway did. Elways passes broke thumbs and fingers, but he threw the ball right to them. They caught the ball and their confidence increased. Amother thing!!!! What happened to the shotgun and bootleg? Bootleg right, pump fake , toss off to right etc. The play book is very boring...

He almost beat the Colts this year, and they smoked the Patriots>>>>>>>>>>His numbers are better than Elways...What else do you want. Maybe we can trade him for Manning or Brady.

Any NFL team in the league would snatch him up to start in a heart beat. Then he would come back and stomp the Broncos...............

Shanahan needs the offensive coach to think out of the box that he is in, and play a better play book. I thought the Broncos were holding back their better play book for the end of the season and playoffs. Now I think they have been giving it all they have and offensive coordinator just doesnt get it. Rod Smith needs to step up to the plate and get open. The tight ends need to get open and hold on to the ball. I garrantee if these fellas were operating up to snuff, Plumbers numbers would be much better. Leave Jake alone for a little while. Dont pollute the atmospehere with defeatism and negativety. Be nice and see if things get better. You are disrupting the time, space, continuum. Go Jake ! Own this town!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and watch some Colt tapes and see how Payton does it for the love of pete. And quit throwing interceptions . And yes Plumber does not read the field well. Cutler will be there in time. He will also be armed with several newer pass receivers. The defense needs nothing.
    Last edited by goucho141; 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM. Reason: add some mor e info

Originally posted by goucho141
    The Denver Broncos miss Mr. Kubiak. How can you expect a team to maintain corporate memory when they lose a talent that lived and coached through Elway's time. Thats just a start. Before placing blame on Jake Plumber like little kids, look at the wide receiver and tightend numbers. Look at the depth chart. Look at the 2006 numbers. After 9 games the only wide receiver with respectable numbers is Javon Walker. Lets look at the 2006 numbers a little closer: Rod Smith 32 catches for 318, Kircus ^ catches for 122 yards, Alexander 11 for 105 yards, Scheffler 6 for 67, Marshal 2 for 22...........Javon Walker 41 catches for 714 yards.....

Shanahan is playing conservative this year because he lost Kubiak to Houston.

Their play book reflects the loss of his Coaching talent.

Meanwhile either the pass receivers mentioned above are either to slow to get open, cant catch the ball, or Jake Plumber does not read his field well.

Javon Walker has the abillity to get open and he can catch the football. When Plumber forces it to the rest of the pass receivers, they either drop the ball or it gets intercepted. Even Payton Manning could do little with this. The pass receivers are not stepping up to the plate, running their routes and getting open. The play book is conservative, and the running game is suffering from this. Rod Smith although a great player, is not getting the numbers he is used to. Look at the histrory of past Broncos or any other NFL team. When the numbers start to drop on seasoned players, they never come back. It happened to Macafrey, Haven Moses, Rylie Odoms, Lyn Swann, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss etc. etc. etc. The Broncos need 3 first or second round draft pics or a good free agent. Watch the tapes, the pass receivers are not getting open on zone or man to man defences.

Without a passing game, one does not have a running game. Without a running game, one does not have a passing game.

Plumber is not the problem yet..........

Any NFL team in the league would snatch him up to start in a heart beat. Then he would come back and stomp the Broncos...............

Shanahan needs another offensive coach and some fast talent. Rod Smith needs to be on the coaching staff or relegated to 2nd position behind a great wide receiver. The tight ends need to hold on to the ball. I garrantee if these fellas were operating up to snuff, Plumbers numbers would be much better. Leave Jake alone for a little while.
    So Peyton Manning couldnt do better than Plummer? You have seen Jake and Peyton play right? Great post

Comment

Well I'd have to go back and watch the tapes closely but...

I have certainly noticed a huge hole in our receiving game. ROD SMITH CAN NOT BEAT MAN COVERAGE anymore. He can sit down in a zone as well as most but he hasn't beat man coverage all year. The other teams know it which is why they let his side roll man to man and that leaves them the option of doubling Javon, which they have done a lot. Putting a safety on the TE instead of a linebacker, and brining the safety down in the box. I love Rod but we really need Marshall or someone to step up.

And yes, even Peyton Manning god himself couldn't make Rod shine any better this year.
      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

God, it's nice to read something intelligent on this board. I'm sick of the constant Jake blaming and I believe like you that many teams in the league would be happy to have him. But you know, the crazies in Denver have run every quarterback since Elway out of town and they sooner or later will succeed with Plummer. At that time Jake will take the 25 or 30 million he earned here, by the way the first dollar of which he still has, and move on. He will become a ten or eleven year veteran who still has much to offer and can earn a darn good living someplace else while still being darn effective most of the time. He will add that money to the 30 million he earned in Phoenix, the first dollar of that he still has too, and go on to make a few more millions before he is through. and if you really think that anything you say bothers him you got another thing coming. Jake just as soon flip you off than be bothered by what you say but protocol says he must be nice to all the Denver Crazies. In the meantime he goes on to make millions while the crazies go on to work eight hours a day for a miserable 8-10 bucks an hour for the rest of their lives. Who do you think has the last laugh?

Comment

Originally posted by hobeco
          God, it's nice to read something intelligent on this board. I'm sick of the constant Jake blaming and I believe like you that many teams in the league would be happy to have him. But you know, the crazies in Denver have run every quarterback since Elway out of town and they sooner or later will succeed with Plummer. At that time Jake will take the 25 or 30 million he earned here, by the way the first dollar of which he still has, and move on. He will become a ten or eleven year veteran who still has much to offer and can earn a darn good living someplace else while still being darn effective most of the time. He will add that money to the 30 million he earned in Phoenix, the first dollar of that he still has too, and go on to make a few more millions before he is through. and if you really think that anything you say bothers him you got another thing coming. Jake just as soon flip you off than be bothered by what you say but protocol says he must be nice to all the Denver Crazies. In the meantime he goes on to make millions while the crazies go on to work eight hours a day for a miserable 8-10 bucks an hour for the rest of their lives. Who do you think has the last laugh?
          He who laughs last. Jake is laughing all the way to the bank.

I would not be upset to see him tell the nutballs in DEN to stick their football up their collective butts and move on. This town will never allow anyone to be Qb unless John come back to town. Poor cutler little does he realize he is next in line for their wrath.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ

I would not be upset to see him tell the nutballs in DEN to stick their football up their collective butts and move on. This town will never allow anyone to be Qb unless John come back to town. Poor cutler little does he realize he is next in line for their wrath.
            Please. It's like that for every quarterback in every town. It's not exclusive to Denver.

It was a problem with Brian Griese. It was a problem with John Elway. It was a problem with Steve Young. It was a problem with Joe Montana. It was a problem with Terry Bradsaw. Even Colts fans, as great as he is, have doubts if Peyton will ever deliver them a Super Bowl. And do you remember how 'terrible' Tom Brady was just last week after back-to-back losses and his subpar performances? What about Ben Rothlesburger (sp?)? He led the Steelers to the Super Bowl last season and that city was screaming for Charlie frickin' batch.

You pro-Jake fantatics act like this is a Denver problem and it's because of John Elway. That's not even true. This is the NFL and that's the nature of the game. Either a player deals with it and responds well, or they don't, and they subsequently get benched/released/cut/traded...whatever. But don't act like this is a problem with the fans or turn it around like the fans had something to do with Jake's subpar performance last night and all season.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730
              Please. It's like that for every quarterback in every town. It's not exclusive to Denver.
              Good post Mojo.... Can't send you any CP's though, but I tried. Plummer played poorly last night, and has for alot of the season, but this sentiment is absolutely UNIVERSAL. Second string QB is the most popular player on most NFL teams.

Comment

The Denver Broncos miss Mr. Kubiak. How can you expect a team to maintain corporate memory when they lose a talent that lived and coached through Elway's time. That's just a start. Before placing blame on Jake Plumber like little kids, look at the wide receiver and tight end numbers. Look at the depth chart. Look at the 2006 numbers. After 9 games the only wide receiver with respectable numbers is Javon Walker. Lets look at the 2006 numbers a little closer: Rod Smith 32 catches for 318, Kircus 6 catches for 122 yards, Alexander 11 for 105 yards, Scheffler 6 for 67, Marshal 2 for 22...........Javon Walker 41 catches for 714 yards.....

Compare this to the Colts Reggie Wayne 55 for 885 and Marvin Harrison 60 for 813
                First its not a good comparison of the Colts passing attack to ours. They throw the ball more and have an all pro quarterback throwing to them. Also I have never agreed with anyone that tries us the argument that the reason we are struggling offensively is because Kubiak isn't here. It's same plays, and formations that have been here past 10 years and Jake Plummer has been in this system for four years he know the playbook. Plummer is not executing the offense the way he should. I am also of the opinion that with numbers so heavily stacked towards Javon looking for his other options.

With one more star wide receiver, opposing teams would have to play man to man coverage, the Safeties would have to commit to the down field, and the Bronco running game would regain the initiative. ( Tatem bell is a 6 yard per carry average guy and Mike Bell is a badass, Cecil Sapp is another damn good player)
                Again I don't think the receiving corp is bad, but rather teams are putting eight in the box and daring us to beat with the pass.

Shanahan is playing conservative this year because he lost Kubiak to Houston and his pass receivers are average. ( It took Schottenheimer decades to finally beat the Broncos like this)
                Then how do you explain the conservative playing call of last season when Kubiak was here. In fact, one the primary reasons Shanahan brought Heimendinger to Denver was so that the passing attack might be opened up more this year than last.

Their play book reflects the loss of Kubiak's Coaching talent. The NFL is determined by inches and corporate memory....................The loss of Kubiak allowed Schottenheimer the win. He has been in the trenches with Cleveland, Kansas City, and San Diego. He finally got his due..............Inches and corporate memory..........
                No losing Kubiak didn't cause us to loss this game poor execution did. If that's the case then we should have lost to the Patriots as well.

Meanwhile either the pass receivers mentioned above are either to slow to get open, cant catch the ball, or Jake Plumber does not read his field well. Jake only needs just a few more down field, and across the middle (Mccaffrey style) opportunities to open up the running game.
                Again I don't see it as it the receivers not getting open its that Jake seems to have problems with making more than one read.

Javon Walker has the ability to get open and he can catch the football. When Plumber forces it to the rest of the pass receivers, they either drop the ball or it gets intercepted. Even Payton Manning could do little with this. The pass receivers are not stepping up to the plate, running their routes and getting open. The play book is conservative, and the running game is suffering from this. Rod Smith although a great player, is not getting the numbers he is used to. Look at the histrory of past Broncos or any other NFL team. When the numbers start to drop on seasoned players, they never come back. It happened to Mccaffrey, Haven Moses, Rylie Odoms, Lyn Swann, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss etc. etc. etc. The Broncos need 3 first or second round draft pic Wide receivers or a good free agent. Watch the tapes, the pass receivers are not getting open on zone or man to man defences.
                So you're saying Rod Smith and Stephen Alexander don't know what routes they are suppose to run? Rod is an 11 year veteran. I would not find it hard to believe that he would know the playbook as well as Shanahan. The problem is execution as I mentioned earlier.

Denver is 4th in the League in rushing.

Plumber is not the problem at all. He almost beat the Colts this year, and they smoked the Patriots>>>>>>>>>>What else do you want.
                No Plummer did not almost beat the Colts the team almost beat the Colts. What I would like to see is better execution by the quarterback in the passing game.

While there may be some teams that would pick him it certainly isn't every team in the League. I'm reasonably sure that the Colts, Patriots, Eagles, 49ers, Titans, Chargers, Cardinals, Bengals, and Steelers would say differently.

Shanahan needs the offensive coach to think out of the box that he is in, and some better talent. Rod Smith needs to step up to the plate and get open. The tight ends need to hold on to the ball. I guarantee if these fellas were operating up to snuff, Plumbers numbers would be much better. Leave Jake alone for a little while.
                As I have stated before if Jake were more accurate with his passes that would help tremendously and if could do a better job of finding other receivers besides Javon.
                John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

TXBronc you nailed it.

It all comes down to execution. Receivers can't catch passes over their heads or at their shoelaces. Passes gotta be on the money in a west-coast style passing game.

Comment

Or Maybe

The Denver Broncos miss Mr. Kubiak. How can you expect a team to maintain corporate memory when they lose a talent that lived and coached through Elway's time. Thats just a start. Before placing blame on Jake Plumber like little kids, look at the wide receiver and tightend numbers. Look at the depth chart. Look at the 2006 numbers. After 9 games the only wide receiver with respectable numbers is Javon Walker. Lets look at the 2006 numbers a little closer: Rod Smith 32 catches for 318, Kircus 6 catches for 122 yards, Alexander 11 for 105 yards, Scheffler 6 for 67, Marshal 2 for 22...........Javon Walker 41 catches for 714 yards.....

With one more star wide receiver, opposing teams would have to play man to man coverage, the Safeties would have to commit to the down field, and the Bronco running game would regain the innitiative. ( Tatem bell is a 6 yard per carrie average guy and Mike Bell is a badass, Cecil Sapp is another damn good player)

Shanahan is playing conservative this year because he lost Kubiak to Houston and his pass receivers are average. ( It took Schottenheimer decades to finally beat the Broncos like this)

Their play book reflects the loss of Kubiak's Coaching talent. The NFL is determined by inches and corpoarte memory....................The loss of Kubiak allowed Schottenheimer the win. He has been in the trenches with Cleveland, Kansas City, and San Diego. He finally got his due..............Inches and corporate memory.......... The Steelers won the superbowl because of their team concept, hardwork, corporate memory ,and a new spastic quarterback that no one could figure out. No one can figure out Rivers yet!!! Everyone now has figured out Rothlessburger. They will figure Rivers out. This is Schottenheimers best shot at the superbowl ever. Meanwhile Plumber and the Broncos will just get better. They wont care if they get figured out, they will just steamrole everyone anyways.Shanahan and the Broncos will always be the best.

Meanwhile either the pass receivers mentioned above are either to slow to get open, cant catch the ball, or Jake Plumber does not read his field well. Jake only needs just a few more down field, scrimmage (possesion) and across the middle (Macafrey style) opportunities to open up the running game. It seems the tight ends and wide receivers have yet to develop an identity through excellence. Elway had the 3 amigos he could depend on Mark Jackson, Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel. He could depend on Rod Smith and Macafrey. Jake can only depend on Javon right now, and to a lesser extent Rod Smith. Last year Ashley Lalee helped with 3rd down conversions because he could catch the ball down field. The others have yet to gain confiidence or an identity. One of them has to step up to the plate now! I was dissapointed when they let Puzier go, he was the first tightend we have had since Macafrey that had good hands and would go across the middle. I had high hopes that Scheffler would be better than he is. A big guy , good hands, who could punish the defense. As it is, he has no identity. When is he going to arrive?

Javon Walker has the abillity to get open and he can catch the football. When Plumber forces it to the rest of the pass receivers, they either drop the ball or it gets intercepted. Even Payton Manning could do little with this. The pass receivers are not stepping up to the plate, running their routes and getting open. The play book is conservative, and the running game is suffering from this. Rod Smith although a great player, is not getting the numbers he is used to. Look at the histrory of past Broncos or any other NFL team. When the numbers start to drop on seasoned players, they never come back. It happened to Macafrey, Haven Moses, Rylie Odoms, Lyn Swann, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss etc. etc. etc. The Broncos need 3 first or second round draft pic Wide receivers or a good free agent. Watch the tapes, the pass receivers are not getting open on zone or man to man defences.

Plumber is not the problem at all. He almost beat the Colts this year, and they smoked the Patriots>>>>>>>>>>His numbers are better than Elways...What else do you want. Maybe we can trade him for Manning or Brady.

Shanahan needs the offensive coach to think out of the box that he is in, and some better talent. Rod Smith needs to step up to the plate and get open. The tight ends need to hold on to the ball. I garrantee if these fellas were operating up to snuff, Plumbers numbers would be much better. Leave Jake alone for a little while. Dont pollute the atmospehere with defeatism and negativety. Be nice and see if things get better. You are disrupting the time, space, continuum. Go Jake ! Own this town!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and watch some Colt tapes and see how Payton does it for the love of pete.
                    We just need a QB that can run the Offense the way it was intended to be run, that can make accurate throws, that can recognize Defenses and who dos not completely panic when the rush is in his face, and who does not lock in and look for just one receiver, as Jkae has done in the past with Rod Smith, and is doing now with Javon Walker....Since we KNOW that QB is NOT Jake Plummer, I am interested in seeing what Jay Cutler can do.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ

I wish Charlie Johnson were back!

Comment

Originally posted by bleedbluorange
                        So Peyton Manning couldnt do better than Plummer? You have seen Jake and Peyton play right? Great post
                        I wish Plumber could overcome the Manning curse nad have his way with the Colts......................

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
                          We just need a QB that can run the Offense the way it was intended to be run, that can make accurate throws, that can recognize Defenses and who dos not completely panic when the rush is in his face, and who does not lock in and look for just one receiver, as Jkae has done in the past with Rod Smith, and is doing now with Javon Walker....Since we KNOW that QB is NOT Jake Plummer, I am interested in seeing what Jay Cutler can do.
                          Cutler this Cutler that...............If he wants the job he will have to take it from the snake..............

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
                            I have certainly noticed a huge hole in our receiving game. ROD SMITH CAN NOT BEAT MAN COVERAGE anymore. He can sit down in a zone as well as most but he hasn't beat man coverage all year. The other teams know it which is why they let his side roll man to man and that leaves them the option of doubling Javon, which they have done a lot. Putting a safety on the TE instead of a linebacker, and brining the safety down in the box. I love Rod but we really need Marshall or someone to step up.

And yes, even Peyton Manning god himself couldn't make Rod shine any better this year.
                            Rod will pull it out the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by hobeco
                              Plumber was ranked number 3 last year........................... His numbers with Shanahan are better than Elways. Its hard to say that. I am glad I am 1400 miles away.

Comment

Working...
                              X