Is Curome Cox a blessing in disguise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Curome Cox a blessing in disguise?

We all know that Nick Ferguson was a solid veteran presence in our defensive backfield, a hard hitter and good tackler. However we all knew that he was a liability in coverage, same with Lynch.

With Curome Cox put into the starting lineup, we have a 6'1 204 former cornerback with 4.4 speed. Nick Ferguson was about 5'10 187 4.5 safety.

Ok so he wins the triangle numbers game. It's possible to sat that Curome Cox might be better in coverage than Nick Ferguson, but better tackling goes to the latter. However we Broncos fans know that we have basically 2 SS's back there and need a true "cover" safety.

Cox will be put to the test on thursday against the Chiefs with their high powered offence. His tackling will also be put to the test with Larry Johnson tearing it up. We will see if this is better for our secondary.

Cox is pretty good. I mean he is a ball hawk. He is in for the last drives in the pitts game and he got hands on the ball twice on consecutive Pitts drives. I think he will do fine.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco
      We all know that Nick Ferguson was a solid veteran presence in our defensive backfield, a hard hitter and good tackler. However we all knew that he was a liability in coverage, same with Lynch.

With Curome Cox put into the starting lineup, we have a 6'1 204 former cornerback with 4.4 speed. Nick Ferguson was about 5'10 187 4.5 safety.

Ok so he wins the triangle numbers game. It's possible to sat that Curome Cox might be better in coverage than Nick Ferguson, but better tackling goes to the latter. However we Broncos fans know that we have basically 2 SS's back there and need a true "cover" safety.

Cox will be put to the test on thursday against the Chiefs with their high powered offence. His tackling will also be put to the test with Larry Johnson tearing it up. We will see if this is better for our secondary.

I hope for the Broncos sake, he plays great. I'll be cheering for him, and at the same time, hoping for a quick recovery for Nick, he is an awesome person, and will be missed both on and off the field. Get well soon Nick!!!

Comment

Cox is a good Safety and he's hungry. Fergs being the starter, Curome is looking to make a presence. This is his shot and I think he'll step in and do just as well if not better than Ferguson.

Comment

Hopefully he can be one of those stories where the starter gets hurt and the backup turns out to be a great playmaker

Comment

I do not doubt Cox's abilities. I'm much more concerned about out depleted depth at safety now...
            sigpic

Comment

Cox is an Upgrade

I never wish it upon anyone to get injured but I've never thought Ferg was ever a good choice for a starting safety. I don't like him or Lynch back their anymore. Lynch plays absolutely ZERO coverage and Fergy had to make up for that. The problem with that is Ferg was never a coverage safety so I'm glad that Cox is in there now. He is WaYYYY less of a liability than Lynch or Ferg coverage wise.
              sigpic

Comment

Maybe

Originally posted by ttejuco

One man's misfortune is another man's opportunity as they say...

Comment

Originally posted by RazR
                  I do not doubt Cox's abilities. I'm much more concerned about out depleted depth at safety now...
                  I agree, we were supposed to have this future beast in Brandon Browner, but he got hurt, then this guy from Ohio State Tyler Everett was apparently a stud? Where did they do? There not even on our practice squad.

Comment

I like Cox, good in coverage, nose for the ball. We might miss Fergy's tackling against LJ this week, but I think our coverage will be better. As for depth, yes, this does scare me a bit, but Abdulla's a good kid. Hard hitter, pretty fast. I like him.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

I've always thought that Ferguson was average. He's a big-hitter and nothing more. Him being injured only hurts our depth IMO. I think at the least, he and Cox are a wash.

Comment

I like Cox, alot. I dont forsee any drop off with him starting.

First it was best team not to make the Play Offs. Then it was best team not to win a play off game. This year its best team to go 8-8.

Comment

Working...
                        X