Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe for failure / Set up for Jake to fail (Merged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe for failure / Set up for Jake to fail (Merged)

What's with the constant drop back mid range and long routes plus few receivers in the pattern? Recipe for failure when the line is used to blocking for play action.

I'm thinking draft pick/excuse to get to Cutler maybe?

Could it be that Shanny wants a reason to play Jay and his play calling looks like crap therefore Jake looks like crap. Honestly Jay has a better arm, but Shanny used to call plays to Plummers strengths.

That's my two cents.
    This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

This felt like a set up.

hiw do you expect to win, when we only ran the ball 16 times fo 38 yards( 2 att. by jake). hell elway couldn't win with these conditions. thise past few games felt like shannahan set jake up for failure. The bronco offence isnt made for any qb to throw over 30 times. since jake failed these past 2 weeks, it makes it easier to bench jake. i bet we run more running plays when jay starts playing. im afraid that cutler comes in and we miss the playoffs by a game or two.Imo, jay hasn't proven anything, preseason doesnt cut it in my eyes. but hopefully i end up eating my words. its a heartbreaking loss, especially when you know this could of been our 8th win. Shannahan needs to get some more production from the backfield to help the offence produce points. those are my two cents.

Comment

Shanny doesn't need a reason to make the switch. If he feels one player gives him a better chance to win then he'll play him.

He's not sabotaging Jake.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I can see part of that as a possibility. Where have the bootlegs gone? However I think its a bit of a reach to think Shanahan needs to make Plummer look bad. Plummer does a good enough job of that himself, and Shanahan is the head coach so he can make a move whenever he feels necessary regardless of anyone's thoughts on the matter. I have a feeling Shanahan hates to lose more than you and I do.

Comment

Originally posted by JED Bronco
          What's with the constant drop back mid range and long routes plus few receivers in the pattern? Recipe for failure when the line is used to blocking for play action.

Could it be that Shanny wants a reason to play Jay and his play calling looks like crap therefore Jake looks like crap. Honestly Jay has a better arm, but Shanny used to call plays to Plummers strengths.

That's my two cents.
          It has been very obvious since early in the season Shanny has lost ALL confidence in Jake. Since early on he has basically been "coaching around" Jake.

And for a coach as innovative as Shanny, that must be killing him to scale down his offense because of the lack of productivity by his QB.

You can point the finger at the offensive line, but I have seen Jake make plenty of horrible throws even when he has had plenty of time to make his reads and throw the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ
            I can see part of that as a possibility. Where have the bootlegs gone? However I think its a bit of a reach to think Shanahan needs to make Plummer look bad. Plummer does a good enough job of that himself, and Shanahan is the head coach so he can make a move whenever he feels necessary regardless of anyone's thoughts on the matter. I have a feeling Shanahan hates to lose more than you and I do.
            Jake was only dangerous in rollouts and bootlegs, why? Cause of his legs, he is a scrambling quarterback, he is not balanced or a pocket quarterback. Last year this was what made us strong, but teams learned how to control us, it is very obvious, more then any other point. Plummer now is having to try and be a balanced quarterback...it will not work, he no longer is dangerous, he is now a hinderance. Cutler, though a rookie is a balanced quarterback, so he can bootleg, rollout, scramble and pass using drop back, shotgun and more. That is the plus, teams obviously can kill our bootleg and rollout play calling, Jake sucks in the pocket, so if they take it away with Jay, he can go after them from the pocket, that will open up the rollouts and running game.

Shanahan is a coach, he knows what he can and can not do with a limited athlete like Plummer, and that is all...it is not about heart...it is about talent and ability as well. I believe this is the start of a very active off-season to come, jobs are on the line, and they are going to clean house and that is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by air7raid
              hiw do you expect to win, when we only ran the ball 16 times fo 38 yards( 2 att. by jake). hell elway couldn't win with these conditions. thise past few games felt like shannahan set jake up for failure. The bronco offence isnt made for any qb to throw over 30 times. since jake failed these past 2 weeks, it makes it easier to bench jake. i bet we run more running plays when jay starts playing. im afraid that cutler comes in and we miss the playoffs by a game or two.Imo, jay hasn't proven anything, preseason doesnt cut it in my eyes. but hopefully i end up eating my words. its a heartbreaking loss, especially when you know this could of been our 8th win. Shannahan needs to get some more production from the backfield to help the offence produce points. those are my two cents.
              Damn good post!!!! CP to you.
              SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

That's my two cents.
                But then again, maybe Shanahan doesn't need this reason to have really bad play calling. Maybe it's him!

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Shanny doesn't need a reason to make the switch. If he feels one player gives him a better chance to win then he'll play him.

He's not sabotaging Jake.
                  Agreed. Shanny isn't going to sabotage Jake, and the season as a result, to come up with an excuse to play Jay. All he has to do is make the switch.
                  The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

That's my two cents.
                    I've been thinking this pretty much all season. But I didn't want to say it on here. Just look at the games this season and in December last year. At KC and Buffalo last year, it seemed like all we did was pass. And it's not like we couldn't run the ball. Buffalo had a horrible rush defense and we were moving the ball against KC on the ground. But in both of those games we threw like twice as much as we ran.

This season it seems like the boots have been removed and most passes are from the pocket. Every analyst and average football fan knows Plummer isn't half as good when throwing in the pocket. But apparently that's what the great Shanny wants him to do. Become a pocket passer.

Or does he want him to struggle? Make mistakes so he can make the switch. If you think back a few months ago Shanny admitted he put Griese in too early. Not as much because he wasn't ready, but because the team didn't feel he'd earned it or Brister hadn't played bad enough to lose the job.

So if people would honestly look at everything instead of just Plummer, they'd see our running game is not as good this year as it was in the past. The O-line is worse than ever. And the playcalling seems to be questionable. All things that will not help a QB perform.

Do I think Plummer has been set up? Pretty much. I don't think Shanny & Co. have put him in situations to excel. And that includes in the draft.
                    Now, listening to the interviews after the game it seems like most of the players still back Plummer. They don't buy into this BS many on this board do. Thinking everything's the QBs fault.

Comment

What would you do? If your QB has the tendecy to throw a hapless duck and a pick just as you get rolling, would you keep throwing the ball? Shanahan has tried all he could to make Jake work out. He tried the roll, the only way he seems able to throw a ball (aka he doesn't have to lead a target, something he can't grasp from the pocket). I'm sure Shanny is quite frustrated right about now, unable to rely on Jake, and defenses loading the line because they know our QB is a joke.

The only person "tying the hands" of the team is Jake.

Comment

no coach in there right mind, would set someone up, they don't have to there the coach.

thats almost saying shanahan hasn't the courage to drop jake,until theres a l;egit excuse...

Comment

Jake took us to the playofss - AFC-CG

Originally posted by londonbronco
                          no coach in there right mind, would set someone up, they don't have to there the coach.

thats almost saying shanahan hasn't the courage to drop jake,until theres a l;egit excuse...
                          What changed from last year? Explain why Jake is the problem and how Jay isn't just inheriting a bad situation.

Shanny has ducked all the controversy since he has done well.....since John left. Everyone has been the problem except him. I think he is happy to have a scape goat once again.

I posted early in the pre-season/season that this was Shanny and that Jay was not going to be the difference. I hope I'm wrong , but I'm not.
                          This is the NFL!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

I think the problem is that Pittsburgh lasy year showed how to play our pass offense, especially the protection.

Most of this season, especially since Lepsis went down, the TEs have been kept in to help on pass blocking, along with one if not both backs. Rod, for whatever reason is struggling to gain seperation from the corners, leaving Javon as the sole downfield threat. Even Peyton Manning, John Elway or Dan Marino would struggle without anyone to throw the ball to.

IMO, we need to spread the defence more, possibly by playing with a 3rd reciever. But in the off season, we really need to rework our pass protection.
                            The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                            BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                            You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Said well

Originally posted by Den21-Bal19
                              I think the problem is that Pittsburgh lasy year showed how to play our pass offense, especially the protection.

Most of this season, especially since Lepsis went down, the TEs have been kept in to help on pass blocking, along with one if not both backs. Rod, for whatever reason is struggling to gain seperation from the corners, leaving Javon as the sole downfield threat. Even Peyton Manning, John Elway or Dan Marino would struggle without anyone to throw the ball to.

IMO, we need to spread the defence more, possibly by playing with a 3rd reciever. But in the off season, we really need to rework our pass protection.
                              Losing Lelie was a big mistake also. You are right on target. Shanny should spread the field.
                              This is the NFL!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X