Is Jay Cutler as good as Dan Marino?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncosfreak_56
    Then...NO rookie QB in NFL history has taken a tem to the super bowl. Just shows cutler wont save the season. I do however, want him to start next week so he can get gametime experience before next season when we start another superbowl run.
    Somebody had to be the first at everything, so if Cutler gets the starting job, maybe he will be the first rookie QB to do it.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Then...NO rookie QB in NFL history has taken a tem to the super bowl. Just shows cutler wont save the season. I do however, want him to start next week so he can get gametime experience before next season when we start another superbowl run.
      Well, once again I would disagree.

No rookie had gone undefeated in 14 straight games until Big Ben did it his rookie season.

The point being, records are made to be broken.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Interpol
        This is a serious question, think about the answer.

If you answered no, and Dan Marino was the only rookie QB to EVER take a team to the superbowl (he still lost), than Jay Cutler can't fix our team. (we need alot of help).

If you answered yes, well.... You're probably a Vanderbilt fan.

No... But Phillip Rivers is. 2 Marinos in 1 era... well rivers is closer to marino than big ben is but ben has a bowl. Cutler being the next marino is just not likely although I do think cutler can ball. Maybe he is the answer but HE WILL stumble early putting him in now when the playoffs are still in reach would be foolish. If your like 7-6 or something then ONLY MAAAYBE do you throw him in once you 7-8 or maybe 7-7 it is for sure that a head start would be good for the next year.
        2016 AFC WEST CHAMPIONS: STATED WEEK 7 SAN DIEGO SUPER CHARGERS

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
          It might take us 10-15 years before we know that question.

Cutler could be the next Marino/Elway/Montanna or he could be the next Ryan Leaf.

The most likely case is that he will fall somewhere in between those extremes. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see him play like Elway or Favre, but those great players are very, very, very, very rare in the NFL and the odds are that Cutler is not one of them.

However, I certainly hope that Cutler defies the odds and becomes the next _____ (insert the name of your favorite top 5 QB of all time in the blank).
          Your correct here

83 4 great QB's came out Elway, Kelly, Marino , Kubiack 6 #1's and 17 total
          84 Esiason 0/15
          85 cunnigham 0/11
          86 2/15
          87 testverde, gannon 4/18
          88 0/11
          89 aikman, 1/16
          90 George, ware 2/20
          91 Marinovich, Farve 2/12
          92 Maddox, 2/21
          93 Bledso 2/8 this year the 7 round draft started
          94 Dilfer? 2/9
          95 Mcnair, 2/14
          96 0/8
          97 Plummer 1/10
          98 Manning, leaf, greasy, Hasslebeck 2/8
          99 Couch, Mcnabb, Culpepper 5/13
          00 pennington, Brady, 1/12
          01 vick?, Brees 1/11
          02 Carr, Harrington, 3/14
          03 Palmer, Leftwich?,Grossman? 4/13
          04 Rivers, manning, Ben, 4/17 Mauch and BVP count in this 17
          05 Smith?, frye? 3/14

Marino, Elway, Kelly, Bledso, Mcnair, Manning, Hasslebeck, Farve, Mcnabb, Brady, Palmer, Rivers, Ben. Are the QB's I consider to be true franchise QB's 3.9% of those drafted or 24.4% of the first rounders, not many more than that are great QB's mostly journeymen. 307 drafted 49 in the first round.

The odds are not great for cutler to become are slim IMHO. Hope he is cause it is gonna set back this program a long time in the search for Elway part deux

Comment

Originally posted by slickdonkey7
            Negative......... David Woodley and Don Strock were the Dolphins Qb's for that game.
            Marino was drafted in 1983.

This game was his second season. Txbronc was correct.But this is the box score for the game in question.

Passing
            Miami Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
            Marino 50 29 318 1 2

San Francisco Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
            Montana 35 24 331 3 0
            http://www.superbowl.com/history/boxscores/game/sbxix
            Last edited by JRWIZ; 11-24-2006, 11:53 AM. Reason: Edit in red/ corection

Comment

There's a first time for everything. But the situation has to be right. Roethlisberger almost did it his rookie year. Eventually I believe somebody will do it.

Basically, the odds are not good that we'll go to the Super Bowl with Cutler at the helm. But they might not be any better with Plummer at the helm.

Let's see how Cutler plays (IF the move happens) before declaring the season a loss.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by super_boltz
                No... But Phillip Rivers is. 2 Marinos in 1 era... well rivers is closer to marino than big ben is but ben has a bowl. Cutler being the next marino is just not likely although I do think cutler can ball. Maybe he is the answer but HE WILL stumble early putting him in now when the playoffs are still in reach would be foolish. If your like 7-6 or something then ONLY MAAAYBE do you throw him in once you 7-8 or maybe 7-7 it is for sure that a head start would be good for the next year.
                So you actually think leaving Jake in there it's full steam ahead to the playoffs?
                As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                  Marino was drafted in 1983.

This game was his second season. Txbronc was correct.But this is the box score for the game in question.

Passing
                  Miami Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
                  Marino 50 29 318 1 2

San Francisco Att. Comp. Yds. TD Int.
                  Montana 35 24 331 3 0
                  http://www.superbowl.com/history/boxscores/game/sbxix
                  Apologies JR. I thought you were bringing up Superbowl XVII.

Comment

rookie quarterbacks

is anyone else getting tired of the stupid comment, "a rookie quarterback has never taken a team to the superbowl"?? why does it matter? is there a rule in the nfl that if a team's quarterback is a rookie, they are disqualified from being in super bowl conention? nope, not that i know of. all that matters is whether or not he can play better than jake plummer, currently one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. if anyone can honestly say that cutler's quarterback rating would be the exact same or lower than jake's is, than you would have to be lying.
                    now, if we can put a rookie in, have him playing better than our quarterback who is absolutely terrible this year, and the rookie gets experience? this is a bad idea how?? if we go to the super bowl, there is no way jake is going to take us there. how did he do in the playoffs last year?? did he not throw any interceptions that led to touchdowns against pittsburg? i seem to remember he did... and last year was the best regular season of his career. he has regressed TERRIBLY this year... i was always a plummer fan until this year, when he became a rookie again for some reason, making more mistakes than any rookie quarterback playing this year.

Comment

If you answered no, and Dan Marino was the only rookie QB to EVER take a team to the superbowl (he still lost), than Jay Cutler can't fix our team. (we need alot of help).

Dan Marino didnt take the Fins to the Super Bowl his rookie year. As I recall he came on late in the season during a Monday Nighter,threw a couple of late TD's,and palyed well the rest of the season.His second year he thre for an NFL record 5,000 yards and led the Dolphins to the Super Bowl which they lost to the Niners.

How about we dont put pressure on this kid and let him be the next Jay Cutler.instead of Marino,Elway or Favre
                      A Mile High Salute to the greatest Broncos fan of them all.Tim"Barrelman"McKernan,you have given us so many wonderful memories seeing you in the stands of all the Denver Broncos games over the years supporting the team that we all love

LETS WIN ONE SUNDAY FOR THE BARRELMAN! You will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by skpac
                        Seems to me a more relavent question is if Jay Cutler is as good as Jake.
                        DING DING DING

We have a winner!!!!

I seriously doubt Cutler takes us to the superbowl. But, as the season has gone on, it's become painfully obvious that Plummer will not either. That being the case, let's at least give Cutler the shot.

All season I've been for Jake to start this year, and Cutler to sit and learn…UNTILL Jake started costing us games. His play has been a huge factor in the last 2 losses. It almost cost the game in Oakland also.

All season I've wanted Jake to put it together and start playing like he has in the past. If he is going to get it together this year, it would have been by week 11. One or two bad weeks is a slump. This is not a slump.

Realistically, with Jake at QB, the Broncos have no real shot at the superbowl. So, let's get the kid in there to get experience, and at least see what he can do.

GO BRONCOS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShotPutKing
                          is anyone else getting tired of the stupid comment, "a rookie quarterback has never taken a team to the superbowl"?? why does it matter? is there a rule in the nfl that if a team's quarterback is a rookie, they are disqualified from being in super bowl conention? nope, not that i know of. all that matters is whether or not he can play better than jake plummer, currently one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. if anyone can honestly say that cutler's quarterback rating would be the exact same or lower than jake's is, than you would have to be lying.
                          now, if we can put a rookie in, have him playing better than our quarterback who is absolutely terrible this year, and the rookie gets experience? this is a bad idea how?? if we go to the super bowl, there is no way jake is going to take us there. how did he do in the playoffs last year?? did he not throw any interceptions that led to touchdowns against pittsburg? i seem to remember he did... and last year was the best regular season of his career. he has regressed TERRIBLY this year... i was always a plummer fan until this year, when he became a rookie again for some reason, making more mistakes than any rookie quarterback playing this year.
                          Funny that you brought that up. When Jake first came here, I loved his style of play. I thought he fit in PERFECTLY with this offense and he would make a great addition. He did- for a while. He played well for the most part last year and I think part of my resentment for him this year is the fact that I did have so much faith in him.

I argued with anyone that put him down and this year, have found myself on the other side of the coin. I wish he could be more accurate, I truly do. He plays with heart and that is important, but he isn't getting the job done anymore and it is affecting the entire team.

I don't expect Cutler to be the saving grace for this team, but I think, if nothing else, simply putting Jay in for ONE game could be a much needed wake up call. Let him play one and then watch Jake in practice. Maybe the snake will shed his skin and come back to life- I'd really like that

Comment

This is a stupid thread. Denver fans are really taking a strech even using Marino and Cutler's name in the same sentence. The guy is a rookie, hes never taken an NFL snap, hes been in the league hardly long enough for it to hit him that hes in the NFL.

And hes been behind a horrid QB, who makes some of the worst QB decisions ever. He's not exactly in Philip Rivers situation where he sat behind a great QB for 2 years.

I think this thread is based on desperation, because they are already comparing Rivers to Marino, you guys think you have one too. Maybe he is, but theres a better chance that hes not.

Comment

The answer is no! He's better.

Comment

The odds are no, but what in world kind of question is this...let's see him play. I'll answer though; I dont' know and neither does anyone.
                                John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

Working...
                                X