Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice quote about Rod Smith

Here's a little snippet from SI's Peter King on Rod:

Rod Smith, who made his 600th career reception against the Chargers, is one of the great, underappreciated players in this era of NFL history. He's a terrific all-around receiver -- and someone whom Kevin Johnson should watch some film of.
    Just nice to see Rod get a little love from a national analyst.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Doesn't matter what he means to a national analyst (who by and large are clueless), just that he means a lot to us.

Comment

Do you think Rod Smith, continuing this pace, be Hall of Fame material?

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
      2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyAsian
        I honestly don't know. He is good, but I don't think he is great. I would have to compare him to others that have gotten in to decide. He defintely won't get in the first several years he is eligible.
        Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Whether or not he gets into the HOF, Rod Smith is still one of the greatest receivers of his generation. Numbers don't always tell us how great an individual is/was. Rod smith will do whatever he is asked without hesitation, hissy fit, or bravado. He will run the ball. He will return kicks. He will make damn near every clutch catch you ask him to make. He will go into the middle of the field fearlessly and make the tough catch. Heck he'll even play QB if he really has to. All of it without writing a book, carrying a Sharpie, getting busted for hitting meter maids. Just doing his job.
          Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyAsian
            That's a good question. I guess it depends on how much longer he plays at this level and stays healthy.

The man was a key part of 2 Super Bowl seasons. He's a Pro Bowl receiver that wasn't even drafted and was on the practice squad his first season, a classic overachiever. He's one of the best down-field blocking receivers I can remember. Gives 110% in games, in practice and during the off-season. He'll play any role asked of him, as evidenced by his returning punts yet again (and running one back for a TD! ). He definitely does not seem the greedy type who demands the football and is concerned with his stats, as opposed to certain other receivers (Keyshawn, Owens, Moss, etc.) He's a class act.

His stats are down this season thanks to our QB problems grinding the passing game to a virtual halt. But if Jake will cooperate and stay healthy, I think Rod will keep moving up the receiving charts. If he continues his top level of play, I think he has an decent shot at the Hall of Fame, though probably not a first ballot selection.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by pikman
              Whether or not he gets into the HOF, Rod Smith is still one of the greatest receivers of his generation. Numbers don't always tell us how great an individual is/was. Rod smith will do whatever he is asked without hesitation, hissy fit, or bravado. He will run the ball. He will return kicks. He will make damn near every clutch catch you ask him to make. He will go into the middle of the field fearlessly and make the tough catch. Heck he'll even play QB if he really has to. All of it without writing a book, carrying a Sharpie, getting busted for hitting meter maids. Just doing his job.

Well said!!

If they credited players for all the "little things" then Rod Smith would be a sure Hall of Famer.

Comment

Working...
              X