It's too early for draft talk, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's too early for draft talk, but...

Not that I'm writting off this season, but given Shanny's current habit of changing personnel frequently I'm wondering if he is planning on using the rest of the season to figure out what needs to be done for next season.

Disclaimer: The first person to mention the D-line gets pistol whipped! :hammer:

I personally believe that we need to spend our first round pick on a running back. Tatum ain't cuttin' it. He's always injured (even when getting half or less of the carries). His blocking leaves alot to be desired (not good with rookie QB in). I don't see M. Bell or Nash being the answer either. We need a back who can consistantly carry 20-30 times a game. Nobody on our roster is that guy. Cutler's job will be alot easier next season if the running game is as it used to be, dominate and consistant! I long for the days when the opposing D knew it was coming and still couldn't stop it.

We also desperately need a new special teams coach! Holy Crap our special teams are bad!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
    - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
    - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

But doesnt our D- Line......(gets pistol whipped and lies on the ground lifeless)

Comment

I won't mention the D-line

I agree that the running back position really needs to be addressed. None of the guys we have are consistant and I feel that T Bell is a little fragile to carry the ball 20+ times. That and he don't move the pile on 3rd &1

Comment

We wouldn't need to be asking this question if we had traded our other 1st round pick last year to the 49ers, I think. Well, we traded! If we had kept it, Shanny could've drafted Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, or some other great RB in the 1st round.

But there's still next year and I think we still need to address our offensive line. They're aging quicker than I thought they would. Nalen's been here since Elway, Hamilton and Carlisle are doing all right, Matt Lepsis is going pretty old himself, and Foster was recently benched for inconsistency then replaced with Adam Meadows who previously was retired!

And what about Rod Smith? What if he does a bizarre thing by retiring this offseason since he knows he's losing his step every game? Do we just put in Brandon Marshall? He's looking great but he seems pretty injury prone!

We also have defensive needs. Elvis Dumervil looks pretty hot but Shanny needs to give him more reps during game day. Courtney Brown has just ruined his career in general, Gerard and Michael aren't performing as well as we expected, but we still have Ekuban and Lang keeping the light on back there!

Darrent and Champ have been performing great so that's taken care of. Lynch almost retired last season so we need to look for a replacement before it's too late or leave it for the last minute and can't find a good safety.

Jake has these last few games to prove himself if Shanny decides to keep him up for the remainder of the season if not, :wave: and Jay takes over. I'm confident in Jay and my hopes are high for him.

Jason Elam's old but still darn well! The only thing that MIGHT worry folks is his age so it'd be safe to start searching for possible candidates to take over. Paul Ernster is still learning and I think Mikey and the staff will keep him around for at least next year. The only special SERIOUS special team needs are the returners, ST staff, and HOPE!
        Ultimate Thread Killer!!!

Sig above made by me!

Comment

Not that I will be too bummed if he is taken to high but if we arein a position to get Lynch I pray that Shanny pulls the trigger. I dont think Tatum is completley at fault, for one it dont seem to me like a workload has caused a turf toe.... but at the same time, if we can get Lynch or possibly bush I will be super duper happy.

Then again if Woodley is (aint there almost for sure unless we move up)... or some other really good pass rusher is there i would be ok too.... either way we need a superstar this year at one of those two positions... Wideout would be a waste at first round imo cuz they usually take so long to develop and id prefer us to get someone like Michael Lewis over draftin a safety........

We need a gamebreaker at either end or rb imo.... someone who can completley change the way teams have to approach us. To me our defense is an elite pass rusher away from lights out and our offense would be a lot better if we find a consistant player. And since we have a qb that is going to be young an rb is a good target, plus i truly feel Lynch is going to be a huge huge talent.
          Bronco fan from Packer Land.
          Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
          Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Denver has needs all over the field, a fact that has been exposed the last couple of weeks. Ignoring the obvious DT need, I think that Denver would be best served by drafting a RB and a SS (one with cover skillzzzzz) in the first two rounds of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised if Tatum gets traded, but if he is still around next season we could be reminded of how good he can be as the lightening to someone else's thunder.

Comment

Originally posted by defense!!!
              We wouldn't need to be asking this question if we had traded our other 1st round pick last year to the 49ers, I think. Well, we traded! If we had kept it, Shanny could've drafted Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, or some other great RB in the 1st round.

But there's still next year and I think we still need to address our offensive line. They're aging quicker than I thought they would. Nalen's been here since Elway, Hamilton and Carlisle are doing all right, Matt Lepsis is going pretty old himself, and Foster was recently benched for inconsistency then replaced with Adam Meadows who previously was retired!

And what about Rod Smith? What if he does a bizarre thing by retiring this offseason since he knows he's losing his step every game? Do we just put in Brandon Marshall? He's looking great but he seems pretty injury prone!

We also have defensive needs. Elvis Dumervil looks pretty hot but Shanny needs to give him more reps during game day. Courtney Brown has just ruined his career in general, Gerard and Michael aren't performing as well as we expected, but we still have Ekuban and Lang keeping the light on back there!

Darrent and Champ have been performing great so that's taken care of. Lynch almost retired last season so we need to look for a replacement before it's too late or leave it for the last minute and can't find a good safety.

Jake has these last few games to prove himself if Shanny decides to keep him up for the remainder of the season if not, :wave: and Jay takes over. I'm confident in Jay and my hopes are high for him.

Jason Elam's old but still darn well! The only thing that MIGHT worry folks is his age so it'd be safe to start searching for possible candidates to take over. Paul Ernster is still learning and I think Mikey and the staff will keep him around for at least next year. The only special SERIOUS special team needs are the returners, ST staff, and HOPE!

Your post sounds to me like its comin from someone who plays madden. Not to offend jus what I felt. Age isnt terrible at all these spots, Nalen imo is playin pretty darn good football, and we have potential starters for him after he is done. Lynch imo is prolly out the door this year, i belive this is the last year of his contract and i think he will retire after this one. Rod imo is going to be a third wr at best nex year, he is slowing down big time.

My three top thigns i hope we adress in fa are as follows:

A tight end for a consistant dumpoff, someon elike either Graham or Gonzo if we dont get one i really hope we pick up some possible number 2 wideout cuz Id rather not trust Marshall or Kircus to step it up if I can get a number 2 in fa...and the draft is too much of a crap shoot imo
              a possible safety if we can find one without breakin the bank, Lewis would be nice but im not sure how much he'll demand...
              if simeon rice is outta tampa after this year i say we give him a look, we could use the pass rusher an i think he has a year or two left and could be had for a lil cheaper than others, either way i hope we adress dl in the draft. I think Myers is performing quite well actually for what I had expected, but would be a better fit as a Veal typa player....
              Bronco fan from Packer Land.
              Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
              Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
                Your post sounds to me like its comin from someone who plays madden. Not to offend jus what I felt. Age isnt terrible at all these spots, Nalen imo is playin pretty darn good football, and we have potential starters for him after he is done. Lynch imo is prolly out the door this year, i belive this is the last year of his contract and i think he will retire after this one. Rod imo is going to be a third wr at best nex year, he is slowing down big time.

My three top thigns i hope we adress in fa are as follows:

A tight end for a consistant dumpoff, someon elike either Graham or Gonzo
                a possible safety if we can find one without breakin the bank, Lewis would be nice but im not sure how much he'll demand...
                if simeon rice is outta tampa after this year i say we give him a look, we could use the pass rusher an i think he has a year or two left and could be had for a lil cheaper than others, either way i hope we adress dl in the draft. I think Myers is performing quite well actually for what I had expected, but would be a better fit as a Veal typa player....
                I never said Nalen was a horrible player or anything like that, I just said he's pretty old to be in the trenches. There was much speculation of his retirement last year but now come to think of it, we still have Chris Myers so we quite don't have to worry unless Chris suffers a career ending injury or him and the others don't come out as we expected and can't quite develop. I still have faith in ALL of them though.

I'm getting tired of typing now...
                Ultimate Thread Killer!!!

Sig above made by me!

Comment

to the Marshawn Lynch comment, I would be so excited and glad if we selected M. Lynch or Kenny Irons (in the second round if he fell). The only two receivers I would spend a 1st Rd pick this year are C. Johnson or J. Samardzija (maybe Dwayne Jarrett) but our need for RB and D-line are so much greater. Been saying it all along:

The or pick is supplementary (Of course if we pick two DE's I wouldn't want all listed)

1st Rd) Marshawn Lynch RB/California or LaMarr Woodley DE/Michigan
                  2nd Rd) Eric Weddle s/Utah or Lawrence Jackson DE/USC (If he comes out).
                  3(a)rd Rd) Sabby Piscitelli S/Oregon St. or (either)Alley Broussard/Justin Vincent RB/LSU
                  3(b)rd Rd) Brian Robinson DE/Texas or (either) Steve Smith WR/USC or Paul Williams WR/Fresno St. or Mason Crosby K/Colorado
                  5th Rd) Mike Otto OT/Purdue or Chris Denman OT/Fresno St.
                  6th Rd) Ben Patrick TE/Delaware or Tucker Peterson OG/ New Hampshire
                  7th Rd) Antonio Johnson DT/Miss. St. or Daniel Sepulveda P/Baylor

Comment

*prepares for pistol whipping*

But not for the reason you think. I'd like to see if Dumervil can play pass coverage in the last five games (he already has at least once, delivering a punishing hit to a foolish WR who went over the middle for eight in the San Diego game, ) and, regardless of the answer, draft/trade for a 3-4. We really don't have that far to go, IMHO; more importantly, if you look at the Colts in the Manning era the 3-4 is the way to beat them, and they are the team to beat in the AFC, year after year. Facing LJ and Tomlinson for a quarter of our schedule we'd need to have a solid NT (preferably two) to do it though, and right now I don't know we have anyone to do that job; without someone clogging up the middle the whole thing collapses as teams run up the gut for 200+ yards. Plus, depending on how well the transition goes I wouldn't mind having another top tier LB or two. Right now if we made the switch we'd probably have D.J., Gold, Burns and Al or, if Dumervil can pass cover, D.J., Al, Gold and Dumervil, but after that we're left with Nate and Louis Green alone to cover any injuries and/or provide a rest.

Bottom line is the 3-4 allows you to:

1) Disguise blitzes,
                    2) Cover checkdown receivers,
                    3) Take advantage of speed
                    4) Make quick outs a lot more dangerous.

It's better for the pass rush, and it's better for pass coverage, just as the 4-3 is inherently stronger againt the run. And minus the odd game against a future HoF back, if you look at the stats and the record, our passing D needs more help than our run D. It's also what stops teams from doing what the Titans did to the Giants today, or the 'Skins in the final minutes of a game in Dallas last year where Dallas dominated for fifty-five minutes and then lost on a FG at the end.

Apart from that I'd like to see a decent backup QB or two (does anyone else get nervous that year in and year out Denver only carries two QBs?) a good all around running back prospect who can block and catch as well as deliver power runs (we have two speed runners, but no bruisers for 4th and goal at the 2, unless you consider Nash one) and maybe a receiver with great hands. The left side of our line is still one of the best, and I'm hoping Pears will be our quality RT next year; more importantly, for all the talk of "skill positions" the offensive line is probably the hardest place to integrate new personnel because it functions as a unit. We can't just go out and draft two or three college stars and assume our problems are solved, because the rest of the line doesn't know them from Adam and it's gonna take a while before they're savvy to NFL pass rushes, to say nothing of our complicated run blocking style (all of which makes the starts for Pears through the rest of the season critical. ) Best case scenario you get the next Dan Dierdorf and by the time you've turned him into a quality blocker his contract's up and he wants five mill or he goes to KC.

My :2cents: ; take 'em for what they're worth.
                    SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

i'm still trying to get past the "pistol whipping" threat .......
                      My 3 favorite teams:
                      1.The Denver Broncos
                      2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
                      3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

D-line. Stay away internet warrior.

Maybe running back...
                        Originally posted by Soldier96B
                        i also took a crap and it was orange

Comment

Well we need a RB BAD and we need a d line ( not one from cleveland ) Seriously, we leet trevor go???? :brick:
                          Special teams - FIRE THE COACH

Free Agency could rally help our D and lets use the draft for Offense
                          If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. --General George S. Patton

Comment

Yeah, I was sad to see that, too.

Originally posted by Deltagbear
                            Well we need a RB BAD and we need a d line ( not one from cleveland ) Seriously, we leet trevor go???? :brick:
                            Special teams - FIRE THE COACH

Free Agency could rally help our D and lets use the draft for Offense
                            But as I understand it, Trevor wanted gobs of money we didn't have if we were gonna pay a couple QBs $7 mil apiece. I saw someone say earlier that our line came from a second hand store, but in todays League you have to do that at some positions sometimes (more often than not, really. ) Lang's quality, and as someone who's seen a few Cowboys games I can tell you Ekuban is, too (though zone dog or no zone dog, asking him to cover Tomlinson down field in that Charger game was insane, and a classic example of why I wish we ran a 3-4. ) I'd be happy to have either as a starting DE around a solid NT and make Dumveril and D.J. our OLBs in a 3-4 featuring Al and Gold as ILBs. If Dumervil (who also covered a receiver over the middle for eight before laying him out in the Charger game) can play pass coverage and we can find a good NT I still think that's the way to go; it would make our pass rush unpredicatble and lethal as well as giving folks like Reggie Wayne something to think about when they run those come back routes, not to mention the advantages against a Dallas Clark in the flat or short over the middle. The 3-4 plays to speed and LBs, and so does our D; it also plays to the pass (especially the West Coast, ) and so does the modern League. If all that wasn't true, if you add up the Colts last 16 games against 3-4s I'm not sure they'd be a .500 team.
                            SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

*Puts on helmet*

1.WR
                              2.S
                              3.OL
                              4.DL
                              5.RB
                              6.TE

In that order. (3 and 4 could possibly be switched)

Comment

Working...
                              X