Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22cannon
    replied
    Since this thread is about Plummers trade value....I would say about a mid 3rd rounder.

With that being said I don't think Denver will see that. If Jake decides to take a paycut, which he won't do, that will be the only way he will be on the roster next year. He will be released before any roster bonuses are paid so that he doesnt count against the cap figure.

Jake is still a starting quarterback in this league and he will be starting for someone next year. Everyone is guessing where he will play I say maybe Houston?

Leave a comment:

• JRWIZ
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730
    Well if you buy the insider info, Jake really wasn't 'totally' conversant with Shanahan's playbook, as it's been reported that Shanahan had to dumb down the game plan for Jake.

And I have no doubt that Mike Shanahan would like to have Jake back next season...so long as he accepted 'his role'. 'His role' is a signficantly reduced salary and being a backup to Jay. No way does Denver allow Jake to keep the salary he has as a backup (although I think the Broncos will approach Rod Smith and ask him to restructure, putting his future with the Broncos next season in jeopardy). And Jake can go to about half a dozen or more so places next year and make more money than he would here as a back up and start the season as the starting quarterback, so why would he stay here with a signficantly reduced salary and knowing that, barring injury to Jay, he won't be playing? Do you honestly believe Jake would want to be a career backup from this point on, when he probably has 3-4 solid seasons left as a starter somewhere else? And do you really want to go into next season with this Jay vs. Jake crap again? Jay's the future of the franchise, and the Broncos decided the future was now. There's no going back. Denver's best bet is to find a reliable back up (i.e. Jeff Garcia) and not try to pressure Jake to stay when he could help out other teams a lot more than us. I like Jake, but it's over now. Let's not try to drag this out for the next couple of seasons. Let's turn our support over to Cutler, and move on.

You really can't believe that Jake did not know the playbook after three years.

There may have been some plays that were removed that may have called for long passes for two reasons: Jake does not have the longest arm in the league or more likely the pass protection for said long pass just is not there.

I don't think Money is an issue for Jake especially if you look at how he dresses, what he drives, what he does to relax and last but not least what he does for charities.

I suspect he has more money than he will need for the rest of his life already in an investment account.

Mike has stated that he would like Jake to stay as long as he wants. Now perhaps that is blowing smoke up the presses butt. I think that Jake might just be a damned good mentor for cutler and could be a buffer zone/lightning rod between him and the press.

While he may not have cutlers arm at this moment all we have is Mikey's word for it that he can play in the NFL. They said the same thing about leaf, george, couch and many others till they step on the field and face a Mike Singletary type MLB. I'd like to keep the second best QB that DEN has had since John left, around for awhile.

Now I know there are many haters out there that want him out of DEN at whatever the cost. But remember that he has won more games than most QB's in the league and some time on the bench could be good if he is indeed ONE PLAY away from being on the field again.

cutler may have played int eh SEC but regardless of what th SEC Partisian say it ain't the NFL. Where every team has as good or better players at all spots as some of the SEC had at 2-3 spot s on their lineups.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by LDB
    Yep.

I read on the Post that Denver will take an $8+ million hit if they trade.

They will take a $2+ million hit if they release/cut him.

Plummer will not be traded and he will not be retained. Even money says the Broncos will cut and run.
    Any chance you have a link to the article? I would like to read it.

As I understand the collective bargaining agreement and pro-rated bonuses, there is NO difference between releasing and trading a player. Either act accelerates what is left of the pro-rated bonus in terms of the salary cap. The only thing I know that is a factor is before or after June 1st. If they trade him before June 1st all the cap hit is in one year, after June 1st and it is spread over two.

Maybe there is some other salary cap trick that I don't know about.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    Originally posted by JRWIZ
    So the difference between 2007 @ $5.3 mil and 2.+mil signing bonus cap hit one way or the other looks to me about 3.5 for a backup QB next year that already knows the system.

I think Mikey would be crazy to let him go for somewhere about 1.3-1.7mil a year difference in getting someone in here that does not know the system to back up a raw rookie QB.

Do the math
    Jakes salary hit 2007 $5.3
    less sign bonus hit about $2.1 -2.4 mil
    less new back up QB $1.5 mil or more
    Equal a savings of about $1.7 -1.3

Is it worth 1.7 more to have someone that is total conversant with Mikey's playbook?

Or was the comment yesterday about liking to have him stay as long as he wants Mikey speaking with forked tongue.
    Well if you buy the insider info, Jake really wasn't 'totally' conversant with Shanahan's playbook, as it's been reported that Shanahan had to dumb down the game plan for Jake.

And I have no doubt that Mike Shanahan would like to have Jake back next season...so long as he accepted 'his role'. 'His role' is a signficantly reduced salary and being a backup to Jay. No way does Denver allow Jake to keep the salary he has as a backup (although I think the Broncos will approach Rod Smith and ask him to restructure, putting his future with the Broncos next season in jeopardy). And Jake can go to about half a dozen or more so places next year and make more money than he would here as a back up and start the season as the starting quarterback, so why would he stay here with a signficantly reduced salary and knowing that, barring injury to Jay, he won't be playing? Do you honestly believe Jake would want to be a career backup from this point on, when he probably has 3-4 solid seasons left as a starter somewhere else? And do you really want to go into next season with this Jay vs. Jake crap again? Jay's the future of the franchise, and the Broncos decided the future was now. There's no going back. Denver's best bet is to find a reliable back up (i.e. Jeff Garcia) and not try to pressure Jake to stay when he could help out other teams a lot more than us. I like Jake, but it's over now. Let's not try to drag this out for the next couple of seasons. Let's turn our support over to Cutler, and move on.

Leave a comment:

• JRWIZ
    replied
    Originally posted by tnedator
    LOL, good point.

On the one hand if a team trades for Plummer, they have to take on his salary (reported as $5.3, $4.8, $5.8 over the next three years), but on the positive side, that will also be the salary cap numbers, since the team that trades for him won't have to also have a prorated signing bonus on top of that (assuming they dond't renegotiate contract).

So, I think there will be teams out there that look at Plummers 40 odd wins and 75% winning percentage. His 227 passes without an INT, and two years in Denver of 7 INTs and will be willing to take a shot to upgrade their QB position.

I know a lot of people in this forum believe Jake is the worst QB in the league, but I am pretty confident that the front office personell of these clubs looking for a QB will not see Jake as one of the worst QB's in the leage.

Originally posted by WABronco
    Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network that we'd take a cap hit of $8.56 million if they were to trade him. So.......that about puts the screws on any trade plans.
    Originally posted by LDB
    Yep.

Plummer will not be traded and he will not be retained. Even money says the Broncos will cut and run.

So the difference between 2007 @ $5.3 mil and 2.+mil signing bonus cap hit one way or the other looks to me about 3.5 for a backup QB next year that already knows the system.

I think Mikey would be crazy to let him go for somewhere about 1.3-1.7mil a year difference in getting someone in here that does not know the system to back up a raw rookie QB.

Do the math
    Jakes salary hit 2007 $5.3
    less sign bonus hit about $2.1 -2.4 mil
    less new back up QB $1.5 mil or more
    Equal a savings of about $1.7 -1.3

Is it worth 1.7 more to have someone that is total conversant with Mikey's playbook?

Or was the comment yesterday about liking to have him stay as long as he wants Mikey speaking with forked tongue.

Leave a comment:

• bronco bible
    replied
    If the Broncos trade Jake they will be putting themselves in the same situation they had before (no backup qb) I hope they don't jump the gun.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by LDB
    Yep.

Thanks for the info,CP to you.You know whats coming next

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by LDB
    Yep.

I'm sure they will release him at earliest possible date they can without taking a huge cap hit.

Leave a comment:

• LDB
    replied
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    Well that would pretty much settle by what means Jake would be leaving the team.

Yep.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    Adam Schefter reported on NFL Network that we'd take a cap hit of $8.56 million if they were to trade him. So.......that about puts the screws on any trade plans.
    Well that would pretty much settle by what means Jake would be leaving the team.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TR3Y
    replied
    I heard that Plummer isn't against holding the clipboard for the Broncos....

It's not like he needs the big contract being that he has a lot of $....

I don't know how likely it would be that Jake remains with the Broncos as the primary backup to Jay - however - if we could get Jake's salary to a resonable figure, I for one would love having Jake as a backup....

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorcust
    If we could almost get a 6th rounder... with CHARLIE ADAMS.

We can get atleast a fourth from Plummer. Possibly higher.
    Maybe, but I still say the fact Jake will be 32 by the time we could possibly trade him and the fact he will be coming off a very bad season I don't see how we could get higher than a second day pick. The situation and circumstances would have fall perfectly into place for us to be able to get a first day pick for Jake.

Leave a comment:

• Freestyle
    replied
    Plummer would be worth what Griese was worth.

We'll end up releasing him with no compensation.

Leave a comment:

• tnedator
    replied
    Originally posted by Lorcust
    If we could almost get a 6th rounder... with CHARLIE ADAMS.

We can get atleast a fourth from Plummer. Possibly higher.
    LOL, good point.

On the one hand if a team trades for Plummer, they have to take on his salary (reported as $5.3, $4.8, $5.8 over the next three years), but on the positive side, that will also be the salary cap numbers, since the team that trades for him won't have to also have a prorated signing bonus on top of that (assuming they dond't renegotiate contract).

So, I think there will be teams out there that look at Plummers 40 odd wins and 75% winning percentage. His 227 passes without an INT, and two years in Denver of 7 INTs and will be willing to take a shot to upgrade their QB position.

I know a lot of people in this forum believe Jake is the worst QB in the league, but I am pretty confident that the front office personell of these clubs looking for a QB will not see Jake as one of the worst QB's in the leage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X