Ian Gold at Safety??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Gold at Safety??

Within the next year or two our safety position is going to be depleted and very weak.

Lynch will retire soon, and nobody knows how Ferguson and Brandon are going to recover.

The Brandon Browner experiment failed miserably, as a lot of of us thought he could pan out as a pro safety.

Now who do we have to replace at safety???

This years draft has only two impact safety's that I like in Griffin from Texas and Landry from LSU.

This year's FA class, I believe, has Michael Lewis from Philly who is very good and would be an excellent addition to this team, but a lot of teams will be pursuing him and he will be expensive.

One option that could work is to turn Gold into SS. He has the speed and size of a SS, but plays LB. He won't have to learn the system and he is under contract for a few more years. He is a good playmaker and I think it could be a very smart and productive move.

Then finally Shanny will use the first two draft picks this year on Dlineman!!!
    The funny thing is I think there is more of a chance of putting Gold at safety then Shanny drafting two Dlineman.

Any thoughts??
    The three Keys to football
    1. Turnovers
    2. Field Position
    3. Red Zone Play

Originally posted by BroncoRT
    Within the next year or two our safety position is going to be depleted and very weak.

Lynch will retire soon, and nobody knows how Ferguson and Brandon are going to recover.

The Brandon Browner experiment failed miserably, as a lot of of us thought he could pan out as a pro safety.

This years draft has only two impact safety's that I like in Griffin from Texas and Landry from LSU.

This year's FA class, I believe, has Michael Lewis from Philly who is very good and would be an excellent addition to this team, but a lot of teams will be pursuing him and he will be expensive.

One option that could work is to turn Gold into SS. He has the speed and size of a SS, but plays LB. He won't have to learn the system and he is under contract for a few more years. He is a good playmaker and I think it could be a very smart and productive move.

The funny thing is I think there is more of a chance of putting Gold at safety then Shanny drafting two Dlineman.

Any thoughts??
    Points for originality

I would rather them try to turn Paymah into a safety. He has great speed, size, and I think he tackles pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
      Points for originality

I would rather them try to turn Paymah into a safety. He has great speed, size, and I think he tackles pretty decent.

I was thinking that also, but they like Paymah for his ability in man coverage. That skill would be wasted at safety. If anyone of our DB's that could step up it would Cox.

I still like the idea of Gold at safety, over Paymah and Cox.
      1. Turnovers
      2. Field Position
      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Why not just go look for Safties. Micheal Lewis could be a Bronco if he decides to go to FA. We could use Merriwheather(sp?), even Landry from LSU.

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar
          Why not just go look for Safties. Micheal Lewis could be a Bronco if he decides to go to FA. We could use Merriwheather(sp?), even Landry from LSU.

Merriweather stock has dropped after the fight in Miami. Lewis will cost a lot of money and Griffin and Landry might be gone by the time we pick.
          1. Turnovers
          2. Field Position
          3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Any thoughts??
            there is another very talented d-back out of utah named eric weddle if you have a chance to read up on him. He is a very versitile player that could play a couple of positions for the broncos, I think he would be an ideal fit and should still be available in rounds 2-4. But I dont think the idea of trying gold at safety is too far fetched I mean he has very good speed and could be a very good asset to this team in his last few years.......interesting really.

Comment

Curome Cox and Paymah would probably work out OK. I wouldn't call them pro bowlers, but they should be able to handle the job.

Comment

Any thoughts??
                Michael Lewis is horrible. I don't care what anyone says. I saw two games earlier this year and he played horrible. Tackling, ball defense, playing his coverage, closing speed. Worthless.

Comment

If we are talking about things like Ian Gold at safety, I have a better scenario.

We could pull Champ Bailey back to safety and start Foxworth and Williams at CB.

Champ is so athletic that he would be an all-pro at safety as well.

Comment

Merriweather stock has dropped after the fight in Miami. Lewis will cost a lot of money and Griffin and Landry might be gone by the time we pick.
                    Which makes Merriweather the winner...

Reggie Nelson would be a nice pick too, the dude is a monster... Reminds me of Ed Reed.

If we could somehow get another 1st and land Mike Bush/Marshawn Lynch and Reggie Nelson... Oh my God...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by **OrangeTerp**
                      If we are talking about things like Ian Gold at safety, I have a better scenario.

We could pull Champ Bailey back to safety and start Foxworth and Williams at CB.

Champ is so athletic that he would be an all-pro at safety as well.

We could put Champ in the trenches and he'd still be a pro-bowler =P
                      sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrass
                        We could put Champ in the trenches and he'd still be a pro-bowler =P
                        Get away from Madden for a little bit
                        sigpic

Comment

Coyer mentioned Gold's abilty to play saftey in needed last year.
                          11/6/11 - The day the Oakland Raiders got raptured!

Comment

I dont Gold is really that good in coverage. He wasn't even good at strong side linebacker much less at safety. I just don't see it happening.
                            sigpic

Comment

exactly

He made a mistake but he's still a good player. Hopefully his stock stays low enough that we have a shot!
                              "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Working...
                              X