Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Said!

Originally posted by Prodigal19
    I dont Gold is really that good in coverage. He wasn't even good at strong side linebacker much less at safety. I just don't see it happening.
    Judging by the pass coverage our linebackers have shown this season I really don't want any of them thinking about safety. If Lynch retires, move Ferguson back to his natural position in the box and let Brandon and Cox be the cover guys.
    "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Good idea. Sounds like it could work.
      MMA News
      MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska
        Judging by the pass coverage our linebackers have shown this season I really don't want any of them thinking about safety. If Lynch retires, move Ferguson back to his natural position in the box and let Brandon and Cox be the cover guys.

yea. . . i would prefer to have safeties playing safety, as opposed to a linebacker-- yes he got run over by larry johnson a few times, but gold is just fine where he's at. . . no need to go shuffling and re-arranging all the time. . . . if you move gold then you have a hole to fill at linebacker as well as a guy playing out of position-- i don't see any advanytage at all. . . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I dont Gold is really that good in coverage. He wasn't even good at strong side linebacker much less at safety. I just don't see it happening.
          I think the reason he is kinda bad at SLB has more to do with his size than his coverage skills.

I support EVERYTHING and EVERYONE orange and blue

Broncos dont Rebuild, they Reload!.....courtesy of JayCutler4MVP!!!

Comment

Let's get back Jeremy LeSueur.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Gold is our best LB in coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                Within the next year or two our safety position is going to be depleted and very weak.

Lynch will retire soon, and nobody knows how Ferguson and Brandon are going to recover.

The Brandon Browner experiment failed miserably, as a lot of of us thought he could pan out as a pro safety.

Now who do we have to replace at safety???

This years draft has only two impact safety's that I like in Griffin from Texas and Landry from LSU.

This year's FA class, I believe, has Michael Lewis from Philly who is very good and would be an excellent addition to this team, but a lot of teams will be pursuing him and he will be expensive.

One option that could work is to turn Gold into SS. He has the speed and size of a SS, but plays LB. He won't have to learn the system and he is under contract for a few more years. He is a good playmaker and I think it could be a very smart and productive move.

Then finally Shanny will use the first two draft picks this year on Dlineman!!!
                The funny thing is I think there is more of a chance of putting Gold at safety then Shanny drafting two Dlineman.

Any thoughts??
                wow__just__wow

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                  yea. . . i would prefer to have safeties playing safety, as opposed to a linebacker-- yes he got run over by larry johnson a few times, but gold is just fine where he's at. . . no need to go shuffling and re-arranging all the time. . . . if you move gold then you have a hole to fill at linebacker as well as a guy playing out of position-- i don't see any advanytage at all. . . .
                  Yeah, it all depends on how it turns out.

There's some major potential there to turn a near all-pro type into an average to below average type player here.

Granted Lynch isen't the fastest guy out there. But at least he's been back there his whole career and isen't quite the liability in coverage that Kennoy Kennedy was. :brick:

If I knew Gold could turn out into a playmaker back there at SS, I'd be all for the move. We could move DJ back to WLB and have him make more plays. But the problem is that I really don't want Kennoy Kennedy II out there.
                  You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish

Many guys switch psoitions and do fine. I believe Urlacher started at SS and moved to MLB at New Mexico and he turned out pretty good.

Rod Woodson moved to safety and that worked out.

It can be done.
                    The three Keys to football
                    1. Turnovers
                    2. Field Position
                    3. Red Zone Play

Comment

This year's FA class, I believe, has Michael Lewis from Philly who is very good and would be an excellent addition to this team, but a lot of teams will be pursuing him and he will be expensive.
                      Michael Lewis has been so bad this year that he's been benched. I think he is only playing in the nickel package and the Eagles are thinking about moving him to linebacker because he struggles so much in coverage.
                      R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
                        Points for originality

I would rather them try to turn Paymah into a safety. He has great speed, size, and I think he tackles pretty decent.
                        Yeah and if you want to convert a linebacker to safety might as well go with the fastest one--that'd be DJ Williams who ran the 40 in the 4.3s. But none of them would be too good up there.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonSteele
                          Yeah and if you want to convert a linebacker to safety might as well go with the fastest one--that'd be DJ Williams who ran the 40 in the 4.3s. But none of them would be too good up there.

Just a thought because either this off season or next, the you know what will hit the fan with that position and something will need to be done.

From days of Dennis Smith to Steve Atwater and Lynch we have had good safety's. We had a few years after Atwater where FS and SS were weak, and we didn't play well. I personally like having a good experienced safety in the backfield and we will have a problem whenever Lynch leaves.
                          The three Keys to football
                          1. Turnovers
                          2. Field Position
                          3. Red Zone Play

Comment

I dont think Ian Gold should go to safety. I mean that would basically be like saying (wat someone else said) to put champ at safetey because he would probably be good there. I LOVE our linebacking corp the way it is

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
                            2) Devin Thomas
                            4) Frank Okam
                            4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
                            2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
                            4) Frank Okam
                            4) Beau Bell

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                              Get away from Madden for a little bit
                              you cant switch DB's to the Dline

so what are you talking about

Comment

Within the next year or two our safety position is going to be depleted and very weak.

Lynch will retire soon, and nobody knows how Ferguson and Brandon are going to recover.

The Brandon Browner experiment failed miserably, as a lot of of us thought he could pan out as a pro safety.

Now who do we have to replace at safety???

This years draft has only two impact safety's that I like in Griffin from Texas and Landry from LSU.

One option that could work is to turn Gold into SS. He has the speed and size of a SS, but plays LB. He won't have to learn the system and he is under contract for a few more years. He is a good playmaker and I think it could be a very smart and productive move.

Then finally Shanny will use the first two draft picks this year on Dlineman!!!
                                The funny thing is I think there is more of a chance of putting Gold at safety then Shanny drafting two Dlineman.

Any thoughts??
                                I've been talking about this move for a few weeks now. I think Gold would be a much better fit in SS/FS given his smaller size. He has the speed for coverage, makes good reads, and plays very physical for his size. All the good making of a great Safety. I think he does well on his own at LB, but that he simply isn't big enough to do anything effectively on the pass rush most downs. There seems to me to be a very deep LB draft and a huge LB Free Agency this year, I think we would do well by grabbing someone with a little more size for strong side LB, and throw D.J. Williams in on the weak side. I don't really feel like rumeging through the LB FA right now, but I don't think it's necessary to draft an LB this year if you want one. There's so many LB's in FA worth taking a look at, no reason to throw a draft pick at an LB you need to develop probably anyways. Anyhow that's my two cents. I just believe gold could be a truely dangerous Safety, and I wouldn't mind seeing a little more size backing up the line for next year either....
                                sigpic
                                The only thing that can stop the ninja.
                                Setting yourself on fire so they can't catch you!

Comment

Working...
                                X