By the numbers Champ Bailey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• By the numbers Champ Bailey

I was just checking the numbers of Champ vs the great Deion Sanders, who many consider to be the best cb ever. Was pretty impressed with Champs numbers.

Champ has played in 121 games thus far, 1999-2006. Deion played in 122 games from 1989-1997. These stats do not include the post-season.

Champ

tackles- 489 (solo)
    52 (ast)
    541 (total)

Deion

tackles- 121 (solo)
    8 (ast)
    129 (total)

Champ
    1 sack

Deion
    1 sack

Champ

34 interceptions

Deion

36 interceptions

Champ

133 pass def.

Deion

70 pass def.

Also, Champ has been very durable, missing only a couple games. One stat that Deion is clearly in a world of his own, is his ability to get into the endzone. Champ has hit paydirt a total of 4 times, 3 on interception returns, and a rushing TD while he was in Washington. Deion found the endzone, 9 times on interceptions, 1 time on a forced fumble,6 times on punt returns, and 3 times on kickoff returns for a total of 19 times, now thats PRIMETIME!! At the rate Champ is going, assuming he can stay healthy, he will shatter all records held by Deion, except touchdowns, and in that catergory, Deion is in a league of his own.

Champ also doesn't return kicks or punts, like Deion did, which skews the touchdown numbers. His tackle numbers are astounding for a CB. I believe Champ has already put up better overall numbers than Deion and just now seems to be hitting his "prime" time.

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad
      I was just checking the numbers of Champ vs the great Deion Sanders, who many consider to be the best cb ever. Was pretty impressed with Champs numbers.

Champ has played in 121 games thus far, 1999-2006. Deion played in 122 games from 1989-1997. These stats do not include the post-season.

Champ

tackles- 489 (solo)
      52 (ast)
      541 (total)

Deion

tackles- 121 (solo)
      8 (ast)
      129 (total)

Champ
      1 sack

Deion
      1 sack

Champ

34 interceptions

Deion

36 interceptions

Champ

133 pass def.

Deion

70 pass def.

Also, Champ has been very durable, missing only a couple games. One stat that Deion is clearly in a world of his own, is his ability to get into the endzone. Champ has hit paydirt a total of 4 times, 3 on interception returns, and a rushing TD while he was in Washington. Deion found the endzone, 9 times on interceptions, 1 time on a forced fumble,6 times on punt returns, and 3 times on kickoff returns for a total of 19 times, now thats PRIMETIME!! At the rate Champ is going, assuming he can stay healthy, he will shatter all records held by Deion, except touchdowns, and in that catergory, Deion is in a league of his own.

Good comparison however you can't put champ on Sanders level when he was doing punt and kick returns when it comes to total TD's. So the number would be 3 INT for TDs for champ and 9 INT's for Sanders with 1 FR for a TD.

Also Sanders can't be considered the best CB ever because as a CB you have to be able to tackle and help in the run defense which he did neither. Look at the difference in tackles.........that's a joke.

Sanders one of the best COVER CB's ever.........sure.

Overall CB..........not even close.

Comment

Not to mention the 5 yard illegal contact rule was not in effect when Deion played.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad

Champ

tackles- 489 (solo)
          52 (ast)
          541 (total)

Deion

tackles- 121 (solo)
          8 (ast)
          129 (total)

Champ
          1 sack

Deion
          1 sack

Champ

34 interceptions

Deion

36 interceptions

Champ

133 pass def.

Deion

70 pass def.

I think Champ is in his prime right now, and he is getting the "deion treatment" as far as teams staying away from him. And when they do not, they pay. I think I would take Champ right now over Deion in his prime. But as far as people outside of Denver feeling that way, I think there is one stat you left out that is critical.

Champ Bailey Super Bowl rings: 0

Lets hope that number increases by a few before he hangs it up. Then we can have this discussion. I am comfortable saying he is the best in the game right now, and he just keeps building on that HOF resume.

Comment

One argument I have bout this that seems to always come up. Superbowl rings does not reflect on one player as much as it does. I mean wit Marinos legacy being htat, that shouldnt tarnish his legacy as being as good as he is... Marino dint draft or anythin an he played awsome as much as he could, jus like Champ..... I donno it bothers me how big a deal it seems to be, i mean Terry Bradshaw beat Ken Anderson into the hall of fame, why? 4 rings.... Andersons numbers are better, but Bradshaw won four wings gettin snaps from a HOF center, handing off to a HOF rb and throwing to HOF wideouts...

case in point...
            Bronco fan from Packer Land.
            Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
            Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

not trying to be a party pooper but usually when a corner has a lot of tackles thats a bad thing. it usually means that his receiver is getting the ball and hes having to make the tackle. the passes deflected stat obviously holds some ground in this argument but sometimes tackle stats can be misleading for corners.
              Pro McD

Comment

Originally posted by scotto291
                not trying to be a party pooper but usually when a corner has a lot of tackles thats a bad thing. it usually means that his receiver is getting the ball and hes having to make the tackle. the passes deflected stat obviously holds some ground in this argument but sometimes tackle stats can be misleading for corners.
                *buzzer*

Not exactly. Champ has made a lot of tackles on running backs and others.

Sanders was a horrible tackler. If he couldn't shove someone out of bounds, the reciever was gone. If Sanders was half the corner he was in coverage he would have been cut a long time ago.
                Last edited by LoyalSoldier; 11-28-2006, 07:34 PM.
                "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                  *buzzer*

Not exactly. Champ has made a lot of tackles on running backs and others.

Sanders was a horrible tackler. If he couldn't shove someone out of bounds, the reciever was gone.
                  Hit the nail on the head LS, this, to me is what makes Champ all the more impressive. To cover a #1 WR in th nfl takes a very smart, very skilled athlete. To cover a #1 in the NFL effectively, AND be such a major contributer in the run game is phenominal. I'm trying to remain unbiased, to really compare the two. Deion did have a knack for finding the endzone, regardless of how he did it. And Champ DID return kicks for the Skins for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrackhead
                    Good comparison however you can't put champ on Sanders level when he was doing punt and kick returns when it comes to total TD's. So the number would be 3 INT for TDs for champ and 9 INT's for Sanders with 1 FR for a TD.

Also Sanders can't be considered the best CB ever because as a CB you have to be able to tackle and help in the run defense which he did neither. Look at the difference in tackles.........that's a joke.

Sanders one of the best COVER CB's ever.........sure.

Overall CB..........not even close.
                    How can you say he's the best cover cb when those stats say that Champ has way more passes defended and only 2 less ints??? And this is in an era that doesn't allow the DB's to put a finger on the receiver!!!

I owe Jaws a CP..

Comment

Working...
                    X