Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe some staff changes should be next????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe some staff changes should be next????

Just a thought, but maybe we should look into some staff changes as well. My first change would be Rick Dennison. I'm sorry but a former linebacker does not need to be the offensive coordinator. Larry Coyer would be the next. His "bend don't break" philosophy and his over-reliance on a 4 man front to pressure a QB have hurt us. I think as a defense the talent is being grossly under-utilized. Pat McPherson? He was a LINEBACKER COACH/DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR for his alma mater..... which happened to be a HIGH SCHOOL. Yes it is listed as a prepatory college, but it is still a high school. And now he's our QB coach? This math to me doesn't add up at all. :brick: I won't speculate on replacements, save for 1. I wonder if it has ever been brought up about John coming back as the QB coach? If it has and he said no than why don't we at least look to someone who has college experience at the very least.
    Last edited by spcdlee02; 11-28-2006, 10:16 PM.

Damn Shanny can't even pick good assistants.

Let's be like the Redskins--spend record amounts on the coaching staff. Because, yeah, they're really doin' well this year.

Comment

I dont even want to think about our coaching staff right now......:brick:
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spcdlee02
        Just a thought, but maybe we should look into some staff changes as well. My first change would be Rick Dennison. I'm sorry but a former linebacker does not need to be the offensive coordinator. Larry Coyer would be the next. His "bend don't break" philosophy and his over-reliance on a 4 man front to pressure a QB have hurt us. I think as a defense the talent is being grossly under-utilized. Pat McPherson? He was a LINEBACKER COACH/DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR for his alma mater..... which happened to be a HIGH SCHOOL. Yes it is listed as a prepatory college, but it is still a high school. And now he's our QB coach? This math to me doesn't add up at all. :brick: I won't speculate on replacements, save for 1. I wonder if it has ever been brought up about John coming back as the QB coach? If it has and he said no than why don't we at least look to someone who has college experience at the very least.
        I don't know what being a LB coach has anything to do with him being OC or not. I also don't know why a guy that has coached can't be the QB coach. I mean.. Kubiak used to be Elway's QB coach. Does anyone think that Kubiak could tell/show/teach Elway anything? No. Its just someone that helps him out and talks out the situations.

Last year we criticized Coyer for using the Blitz too much to get pressure, now people are complaining that we rely on the 4 man front too much. Apparently the guy can't win no matter what he does. Even when his team was the hottest Defense in the last 70 years, he was getting criticized. So I don't think Coyer is the problem.

Also.. just because Elway was a great player, doesn't mean he would be a good coach on the field. He may not have the patience. He may not be able to communicate the thoughts.. who knows. There have been a lot of players that have tried to become coaches and haven't worked out very well.

Comment

all we need is a new special teams cordinator

Comment

Originally posted by BF_forever
            all we need is a new special teams cordinator
            I can't remember the last time we have had a good special teams unit.......

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              I can't remember the last time we have had a good special teams unit.......

neither can anyone else besides top. . . .

*ducks*
              Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Last year we criticized Coyer for using the Blitz too much to get pressure, now people are complaining that we rely on the 4 man front too much. Apparently the guy can't win no matter what he does. Even when his team was the hottest Defense in the last 70 years, he was getting criticized. So I don't think Coyer is the problem.

The thing is about coaches you have to be precise in their flaws and praise, otherwise the general good/bad play can be attributed to the team.

I think we have a very good, fast defense.
                I think coyer has done well, when he makes adjustments they're drastic but then tend to go unadjusted for a while.

Take last season in San Diego, the defense was getting ripped - the players were complaining because coyer couldn't explain in a way the players undertsood, his apparently complex schemes. He changes things and we see 8 man front - San Diego are shocked and we win.
                The 8 mam front is fairly consistent for the rest of the season.

Pitts realise how to stop this and give Denver a taste of their own medicine, coyer didn't adjust and we lost.

I personally prefer last seasons approach - the problem I see with bend and don't break is the amount of time our defense spends on the field, which is only exasperated when our offense is so lacking.

My main problem with Coyer is his lack of adjustment, and his one strategy fits all.
                I seem to remember Coyer saying something about how the defense doesn't change it's strategy for anyone they just go out and play their game, to me that's completely wrong.

My other problem is his memory problems, for the last 3 Indy games he's always said you can't beat manning by blitzing. Well perhaps but how do you know when you try the same thing 3 times in a row

That said I think out offensive play calling has been quite poor this season, I much prefer plenty of play action. It's all psychological, if the defense fell confused they think they're going to loose.
                In memory of Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Smiley by me
                My sigs

"It seems like every week you click on the film and you want to roll back out of your chair and say, 'Lord help me,'" Coyer on NFL offenses

Comment

I completely disagree. I think the problem everyone has with the Coyer is that he refuses to adjust during the game, no matter the situation. Once he's made up his mind with the gameplan, he sticks with it the entire game. Actually, once he makes up his mind, he sticks with it the entire season. Last year it was the blitz, this year he refuses to blitz, even when the defense is getting torched.

The Indy was game was one of the most frustrating to watch. Manning had all day and Denver couldn't stop them in the 2nd half. If you can't stop them with the current scheme, why not try switching it up and blitzing? The results couldn't have been any worse. At least if Indy broke a big play, the defense wouldn't be on the field for 6 minutes a clip. Coyer's answer is that the defense has to play harder. Awesome!
                  R.I.P. Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                    neither can anyone else besides top. . . .

*ducks*
                    The super bowl years, when we had darrien gordan returning punts and our special teams knew how to block people.
                    A wise man once said "Remember to be yourself, or you might find yourself by yourself, and that aint cool. Any fool can learn from his or her mistakes, but it takes a wise person to learn from mistakes made by others. Persistance always overcomes resistance."

Comment

I don't know what being a LB coach has anything to do with him being OC or not. I also don't know why a guy that has coached can't be the QB coach. I mean.. Kubiak used to be Elway's QB coach. Does anyone think that Kubiak could tell/show/teach Elway anything? No. Its just someone that helps him out and talks out the situations.

Also.. just because Elway was a great player, doesn't mean he would be a good coach on the field. He may not have the patience. He may not be able to communicate the thoughts.. who knows. There have been a lot of players that have tried to become coaches and haven't worked out very well.
                      This is a great post. CP for you! I agree 100%... just cuz they played a certain position doesnt mean they cant learn about the other. And SERIOUSLY give up on Elway being a coach for us, it wont happen
                      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by ECBronco
                        I completely disagree. I think the problem everyone has with the Coyer is that he refuses to adjust during the game, no matter the situation. Once he's made up his mind with the gameplan, he sticks with it the entire game. Actually, once he makes up his mind, he sticks with it the entire season. Last year it was the blitz, this year he refuses to blitz, even when the defense is getting torched.

The Indy was game was one of the most frustrating to watch. Manning had all day and Denver couldn't stop them in the 2nd half. If you can't stop them with the current scheme, why not try switching it up and blitzing? The results couldn't have been any worse. At least if Indy broke a big play, the defense wouldn't be on the field for 6 minutes a clip. Coyer's answer is that the defense has to play harder. Awesome!

He didnt adjust into the second half cuz we were successfull in the first mate
                        Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                        Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                        Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I wouldn't mind seeing Fassel come back and help with the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                            Damn Shanny can't even pick good assistants.

Let's be like the Redskins--spend record amounts on the coaching staff. Because, yeah, they're really doin' well this year.
                            There is probably a happy medium in there someplace.

Do you suppose it is the coaches fault in WAS or maybe the owner has to much say so in who they pick and play?

Also bringing back a HOF retread coach that had been put of football altogether for a decade playing with race cars, just might be part of the problem there.

I think that even you will agree with me our D is not all that it is cooked up to be.

I think that even you will agree with me our DL sucks at get to the passer.

I think that even you will agree with me our DL sucks at stopping elite RB's or good RB's with an elite passer.

I think that even you will agree with me our Special team SUCK.

I think that even you will agree with me our TE leave alot to be desired.

I think that even you will agree with me our WR outside of Javon need some help and we have NEVER been able to produce consistentcy from #2-5 since Eddie Mac retired.

The list goes on and on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by spcdlee02
                              Just a thought, but maybe we should look into some staff changes as well. My first change would be Rick Dennison. I'm sorry but a former linebacker does not need to be the offensive coordinator.
                              Mike Heimerdinger calls the offensive plays he's the assistant head coach and came over from the jets last year. Dennison basically got a raise to watchover the O-line.
                              sigpic
                              PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
                              You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Working...
                              X