Fully Confident in Cutler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully Confident in Cutler

For those who were waiting for Rod Smith's take....from the Rocky Mountain News

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...177391,00.html

Fully confident in Cutler
    Rookie's teammates say calm nature will take him a long way

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
    November 29, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - In what looks like the golden age of the Broncos' season, earlier this month, before two AFC West losses threw an element of chaos into the proceedings, receiver Rod Smith was enjoying a quiet moment in the locker room at team headquarters.

The subject turned to Jay Cutler, who, at the time, appeared to be nothing more than the quarterback of the future, not the present.

Smith was asked his opinion of the No. 1 draft pick's progress in practices.

The veteran gushed about how well Cutler had handled being second fiddle to Jake Plummer - "perfect" is how he put it.

He went on to talk about how humbling the situation must be for the first-round pick, wanting to contribute to the team but stuck on the sideline yet still doing whatever he could to help out Plummer.

But Smith saved his biggest compliments for the talent he'd witnessed during the preceding seven months.

"For a highly touted guy coming out of college with a ton of skills, the guy can frickin' play football," Smith said. "And I can't wait to see him do it in live games."

Smith, and everyone who observes the NFL, will get that chance beginning Sunday night when the Broncos play the Seattle Seahawks in a battle of 7-4 teams.

And it wasn't as if Smith was knocking Plummer, who officially was benched Monday. On the contrary, the team's all-time leading receiver always has been one of the veteran quarterback's biggest public supporters, even after the loss against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, when rumors of the pending shift behind center were running rampant.

It's just Smith, who has played with John Elway, Brian Griese and Plummer, is a football fan first, and he sees in Cutler a player who possesses special, physical qualities.

"Shoot, yeah. That part's an understatement," Smith said. "And I think the best part of his game is his mind. He's got a calm about him that I really, really like. As a quarterback, with all the chaos going on around you, I think the calm about him is pretty rare. To see a guy who plays this position at this level and can kind of keep his head, I think, is kind of special."

Smith wasn't sure when Cutler would get his chance, whether it would come sometime this season or before or during next season, but he made a prediction for the moment Cutler was deemed ready to take over.

"I think he's just going to hit the ground running," Smith said. "And a lot of people are going to be like, 'They should have did this a long time ago.' "

But there's a process most quarterbacks must experience before that chance arrives.

Broncos tight end Stephen Alexander saw it first-hand when he was with Detroit and the Lions took quarterback Joey Harrington with the No. 3 pick in the 2002 draft.

Harrington became a starter during his rookie season, throwing 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions but failed to become the player the organization envisioned before trading him last offseason.

"I think his confidence was shot in Detroit having to play so early," Alexander said. "He probably wasn't ready to play, and the talent around him probably wasn't what it needed to be."

Cutler finds himself starting for a team at midstream, still in the postseason chase but trying to lift a lagging offense that has multiple problems.

"He seems like he's a hard-headed guy, which is good. He's smart. But he seems like he's at ease," Alexander said, adding Cutler appears to have a better handle on the situation than Harrington did.

"I've never been with him in a huddle in a game, but in practice, he seems comfortable and calm. And I think that's important because other guys can sense if a guy's uptight. Then you get uptight and start pressing, and it's not good. That's the one good thing about Jay, he's always so laid back."

That demeanor lies in stark contrast to the way Cutler tends to chuck the ball around the field, normally a spiral with great velocity.

"He's got confidence and arrogance in a good way, not like he's conceited and knows everything," defensive end Kenard Lang said. "That's the good thing about him. He has a memory like, 'I messed up, but now it's gone and I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.' "

One area in which Cutler might need to improve is the force of his passes. Smith said he has reminded Cutler on occasion to "turn that thing down a bit."

"He has a great arm," safety Curome Cox said. "He's athletic back there and is able to move around the pocket a little bit. It's tough to tell in practice, but you can tell the kid's going to be a hell of a player."

Still, as Cutler pointed out, the preseason and the regular season are not the same thing.

"He makes a lot of good decisions and throws the ball good," Lang said. "But there's a difference between practice and games. He looks fine right now. We'll see what happens game time."

ETC.: The Broncos decided to keep receiver Domenik Hixon on the nonfootball-injury list for the remainder of the season. By league rules, the Broncos have been able to put him into practice the past three weeks to gauge his recovery and conditioning from a fractured bone in his left foot he suffered during a predraft workout. That window ended Monday, and the Broncos had to keep him on the reserve list or add him to the active roster. To add him, they would have had to release another player . . . The Broncos worked out two players, linebacker Bobby Iwuchukwu and nose tackle Langston Moore. Iwuchukwu spent time in training camp with New Orleans and San Francisco. Moore was a sixth-round pick by Cincinnati in 2004 and was released in September by Arizona.
    Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

"I think he's just going to hit the ground running," Smith said. "And a lot of people are going to be like, 'They should have did this a long time ago.' "

poor grammar aside, this is what i've been saying. . . it's not realistic to expect that he won't make some rookie mistakes at some point, but i'm fully confident that he can come in and play at a pretty high level right off the bat. . . i have said in other threads and will say again here, i think he's going to really surprise some of these people who are saying that "the season is over," or "we can't win with a rookie". . . . oh yea? just watch us!

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

2 questions:

1) did you expect him to come out and say that Jay Cutler sucks?

2) what? do i hear jake plummer crying after his feelings got hurt?

Comment

Rod is a team player.

Shanahan made Cutler the starter. That means his teammates suppose to support him. Cutler has done nothing wrong to deserve less.

They supported Jake 100% and the good veterans will support Jay 100%.

It's all about the team.......team is best spelled D e n v e r B r o n c o s.
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by LDB

November 29, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - In what looks like the golden age of the Broncos' season, earlier this month, before two AFC West losses threw an element of chaos into the proceedings, receiver Rod Smith was enjoying a quiet moment in the locker room at team headquarters.

The subject turned to Jay Cutler, who, at the time, appeared to be nothing more than the quarterback of the future, not the present.

Smith was asked his opinion of the No. 1 draft pick's progress in practices.

The veteran gushed about how well Cutler had handled being second fiddle to Jake Plummer - "perfect" is how he put it.

He went on to talk about how humbling the situation must be for the first-round pick, wanting to contribute to the team but stuck on the sideline yet still doing whatever he could to help out Plummer.

But Smith saved his biggest compliments for the talent he'd witnessed during the preceding seven months.

"For a highly touted guy coming out of college with a ton of skills, the guy can frickin' play football," Smith said. "And I can't wait to see him do it in live games."

Smith, and everyone who observes the NFL, will get that chance beginning Sunday night when the Broncos play the Seattle Seahawks in a battle of 7-4 teams.

And it wasn't as if Smith was knocking Plummer, who officially was benched Monday. On the contrary, the team's all-time leading receiver always has been one of the veteran quarterback's biggest public supporters, even after the loss against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday, when rumors of the pending shift behind center were running rampant.

It's just Smith, who has played with John Elway, Brian Griese and Plummer, is a football fan first, and he sees in Cutler a player who possesses special, physical qualities.

"Shoot, yeah. That part's an understatement," Smith said. "And I think the best part of his game is his mind. He's got a calm about him that I really, really like. As a quarterback, with all the chaos going on around you, I think the calm about him is pretty rare. To see a guy who plays this position at this level and can kind of keep his head, I think, is kind of special."

Smith wasn't sure when Cutler would get his chance, whether it would come sometime this season or before or during next season, but he made a prediction for the moment Cutler was deemed ready to take over.

But there's a process most quarterbacks must experience before that chance arrives.

Broncos tight end Stephen Alexander saw it first-hand when he was with Detroit and the Lions took quarterback Joey Harrington with the No. 3 pick in the 2002 draft.

Harrington became a starter during his rookie season, throwing 12 touchdowns and 16 interceptions but failed to become the player the organization envisioned before trading him last offseason.

"I think his confidence was shot in Detroit having to play so early," Alexander said. "He probably wasn't ready to play, and the talent around him probably wasn't what it needed to be."

Cutler finds himself starting for a team at midstream, still in the postseason chase but trying to lift a lagging offense that has multiple problems.

"He seems like he's a hard-headed guy, which is good. He's smart. But he seems like he's at ease," Alexander said, adding Cutler appears to have a better handle on the situation than Harrington did.

"I've never been with him in a huddle in a game, but in practice, he seems comfortable and calm. And I think that's important because other guys can sense if a guy's uptight. Then you get uptight and start pressing, and it's not good. That's the one good thing about Jay, he's always so laid back."

That demeanor lies in stark contrast to the way Cutler tends to chuck the ball around the field, normally a spiral with great velocity.

"He's got confidence and arrogance in a good way, not like he's conceited and knows everything," defensive end Kenard Lang said. "That's the good thing about him. He has a memory like, 'I messed up, but now it's gone and I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.' "

One area in which Cutler might need to improve is the force of his passes. Smith said he has reminded Cutler on occasion to "turn that thing down a bit."

"He has a great arm," safety Curome Cox said. "He's athletic back there and is able to move around the pocket a little bit. It's tough to tell in practice, but you can tell the kid's going to be a hell of a player."

Still, as Cutler pointed out, the preseason and the regular season are not the same thing.

"He makes a lot of good decisions and throws the ball good," Lang said. "But there's a difference between practice and games. He looks fine right now. We'll see what happens game time."

ETC.: The Broncos decided to keep receiver Domenik Hixon on the nonfootball-injury list for the remainder of the season. By league rules, the Broncos have been able to put him into practice the past three weeks to gauge his recovery and conditioning from a fractured bone in his left foot he suffered during a predraft workout. That window ended Monday, and the Broncos had to keep him on the reserve list or add him to the active roster. To add him, they would have had to release another player . . . The Broncos worked out two players, linebacker Bobby Iwuchukwu and nose tackle Langston Moore. Iwuchukwu spent time in training camp with New Orleans and San Francisco. Moore was a sixth-round pick by Cincinnati in 2004 and was released in September by Arizona.
          Great article :thumb:

Comment

"And I think the best part of his game is his mind. He's got a calm about him that I really, really like. As a quarterback, with all the chaos going on around you, I think the calm about him is pretty rare. To see a guy who plays this position at this level and can kind of keep his head, I think, is kind of special."

This is Really encouraging to hear because I liked what I saw in pre-season. College highlights of Cutler are interesting things to look back on, but seeing Jay in Bronco gear running around and winging it a few months ago looked very promising.
            I like his size and he seemd to play alot stouter than Jake and taller, which is very important when looking for passing lanes.
            I'd like to see some examples of opening up the playbook for him early on during the game on Sunday night.
            I'd also like to see him hold the football close when he's running from Julian & Lofa and the rest of seattle's D.
            I feel it is an upgrade at the position, and the mistakes we are going to see will be correctly labeled, "Growing pains while learning the position at the professional level" instead of "The same mistakes year after year with the same glaring shortcomings"

Plummers legacy here includes a LEFT-HANDED INTERCEPTION, and the fact that the Broncos won that game, does not erase the mind set of the player who pulled that fantastically moronic stunt.

Comment

Originally posted by LDB

November 29, 2006
              Do you guys actually believe these quotes? I think these guys are coached to tow the company line, because as a team they don't believe in airing their dirty laundry. I highly doubt if they had any reservations about Cutler, it would see the light of day in a newspaper.

Just my opinion.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Wow, I've never heard those quotes from Rod. That's high praise indeed. With him being as loyal to Plummer as he seems to be, I'm surprised he would have gushed that way about Jake's competition.

I have to say that Rod's words encourage me more than any of the other comments I've heard about Jay.

Is it Sunday night yet?!?!?! :shake:
                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                ------
                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                  Wow, I've never heard those quotes from Rod. That's high praise indeed. With him being as loyal to Plummer as he seems to be, I'm surprised he would have gushed that way about Jake's competition.

I have to say that Rod's words encourage me more than any of the other comments I've heard about Jay.

Is it Sunday night yet?!?!?! :shake:

this week is absolutely dragging by, isn't it?

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                    this week is absolutely dragging by, isn't it?

Hell yeah it is...Then I have to wait all day Sunday to see them play. It is killing me!
                    sigpic

Comment

Cutler's and Plummer's arm strength rating

Mike Rosen from KOA (Denver radio station) interviewed Shanahan. Rosen asked him to rate Cutler's arm strength and Plummer's arm strength on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Elway's arm strength.

Shanahan rated Plummer's arm strength a 7.
                      Shanahan rated Cutler's arm strength a 10.

Rosen said "you mean Cutler's arm is as strong as Elways?" Without a pause Shanahan replied "yes."

I can't wait til Sunday night!

Comment

Originally posted by leoj_cos
                        Mike Rosen from KOA (Denver radio station) interviewed Shanahan. Rosen asked him to rate Cutler's arm strength and Plummer's arm strength on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being Elway's arm strength.

Rosen said "you mean Cutler's arm is as strong as Elways?" Without a pause Shanahan replied "yes."

Like the article said, Rod had to ask him to "turn that thing down a bit". It reminds me of the Elway cross, or whatever they called it, and stories of his receivers having to practice a with the JUGS machines speed set on high just to get used to catching those high velocity passes.

Not to be negative but I hope he doesn't get any picks due to throwing the ball too hard for the receivers to catch. It could be a concern, although I'm hoping not.
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Thanks for the article LDB, reading those comments by Rod and Alexander help to ease some of my nervousness.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Arm strength = longer passes = stretches their defense = opens up the run game = more passing and running hopefully means the offense will be out on the field longer which will mean a more rested and effective defense.

Comment

Yep

Arm strength = longer passes = stretches their defense = opens up the run game = more passing and running hopefully means the offense will be out on the field longer which will mean a more rested and effective defense.
                              I was think/hoping the same thing. It makes sense.

Here is to a great game and a new beginning.
                              BRONCOS RULE !!

Comment

Working...
                              X