Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No One Has Mentioned It Yet Cause Of All This Jay Cutler Frenzy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No One Has Mentioned It Yet Cause Of All This Jay Cutler Frenzy....

But Kelly Herndon returns to Denver.I'll always have a spot for Kelly in my heart...He was a very good #2 corner....Very underated aswell.I remember when he returned that interception for like 40 yards in the superbowl against the steelers i thought to myself(Champ propably taught you that move).

So aah ye....I hope Kelly has an injury free game.
    sigpic

I hope he gets abused by Brandon Marshall and Rod Smith.

but yeah injury free game too

GO BRONCOS!

Comment

I know hindsight is 20/20 but we kept the wrong corner.

Kelly isen't a worldbeater but he has made quite a few plays for the Seahawks.
      You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Damn was I pissed when they chose to let Herndon go and keep Walls.

I was a big Herndon fan. He wasn't great, but every time I saw him he was giving 110%. Something I didn't see from Walls. Plus he didn't commit all those holding and PI penaltys that Walls did.

Comment

Agreed, Herndon was a keeper

I remember him always playing hard, and being opposite Champ if he were still here would've been great for Darrent (if that happened)

One thing i'm always on the fence about was letting Deltha O'neal go, cause he blew up on Cincy, but, i do particularly remember him sucking big time on the Broncs

Oh well, we're solid now, i have very large confidence in our secondary
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyFan24
            Agreed, Herndon was a keeper

I remember him always playing hard, and being opposite Champ if he were still here would've been great for Darrent (if that happened)

One thing i'm always on the fence about was letting Deltha O'neal go, cause he blew up on Cincy, but, i do particularly remember him sucking big time on the Broncs

Oh well, we're solid now, i have very large confidence in our secondary
            I was a Walls supporter because of his size and decent speed, but the emphasis on the no touching after 5 yards really killed his game.

Deltha O'Neal hasn't exactly blown up since he got into Cinci. He's doing the same thing he did over here, give up a ton of big plays and get some picks a long the way. Deltha has always been a pick machine its just he doesn't have short term memory like a corner should have. The game vs New England where he watched Deion Branch reel in the game winning TD catch like he was a fan in the stands sealed his fate.
            sigpic
            PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
            You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

i think we shoulda kept deltha at wideout.....he catches much better than half the guys we have now

Comment

Yeah, Deltha could get picks but he was horribly inconsistent in pass coverage. I actually think Darrent Williams is a lot like Deltha, but that's ok for a #2 corner, in my opinion.

As far as Herndon goes, I was surprised that we let him go as well, but only because I thought he was slightly more solid in covreage than O'Neal. Given the fact that we revamped our whole secondary thereafter, the move makes sense to me.
                sigpic

Comment

herndon wanted to much money to be kept it was a wise move. I was a Walls fan at the time am glad he is gone. Liked his size with all the tall WR coming into the league but he juut did not develop as a CB in coverage.

If herdon wanted to come back only if he is cheap. And wanted to play nickle.

Comment

Uh-Oh I can just hear Aija getting ready to jump in on this threat.....

Comment

Found an old article about Herndon and Walls. Here's another example of why Shanahan struggles with personnel decisions. We clearly let the wrong guy go. After reading this, it feels way longer than three years ago.

A tall order for Walls/ Broncos cornerback confident he's right for
                      Gazette, The (Colorado Springs), Jul 7, 2003 by FRANK SCHWAB

ENGLEWOOD - Denver Broncos cornerback Lenny Walls said confidence is his virtue.

He offered his version of proof.

"I got it tattooed right here on my arm," Walls said, displaying the inside of his left forearm with the motto etched in ink.

If Kelly Herndon does beat out Walls for the starting right cornerback position in training camp, it won't be because Walls doesn't believe he's good enough to start. With as much self- assurance as Walls has, it's hard to remember a year ago he was an unknown, undrafted rookie who was a long shot to make the roster.

"You have to have that swagger about you," Walls said. "Especially at cornerback."

The Broncos hope that confidence from young players like Walls, Herndon and second-year safety Sam Brandon will help overcome the lack of experience in the secondary.

"All you have to have is attitude," defensive end Trevor Pryce said. "And they all have an attitude, I'll tell you that."

Herndon played some defense in four games and appeared in 14 games overall in 2002. He spent most of 2001 on the practice squad.

The idea Walls and Herndon are competing for a starting spot is an indication of how few proven veterans the Broncos have in the secondary.

Yet, Walls is a bit atypical. He is either 6-foot-4 (according to the Broncos' media guide) or 6-5 (according to Walls), yet he displays good footwork for a player his height, most of the time going against shorter receivers.

"I can't believe Lenny wasn't drafted," said cornerback Deltha O'Neal, who probably will start at left cornerback. "He's a good corner. To be that tall, he has great feet. He plays like he's 5-9."

Walls said: "I feel like I should have been drafted in the first or second round, bottom line. Being a 6-5 corner with my ability, there's not a lot of guys in this country that can do the things I can do, with my size."

He ran poorly at the NFL scouting combine coming out of college. He ran the 40-yard dash in about 4.7 seconds. That, along with his size, had many teams projecting him to be a safety. He said he thinks he dropped out of the draft because some teams could not decide what he was.

But he said the 40-yard dash time was also an anomaly, because one of the reasons he was moved from safety to cornerback before his sophomore year at City College of San Francisco was that he said he ran about a 4.3 in the 40 in the offseason.

"(The coaches) said 'We got to move him to corner. He's faster than our corners. It makes no sense,' " said Walls, who played his final two college years at Boston College. "But at the time I was raw. (The coaches said) go out there, and don't let nobody run by you. Now, it's technique, technique, technique."

From his limited exposure in the NFL, it appears Walls has the physical tools to be a starter, or at least a contributor. But he is still raw, and he said the biggest challenge with his technique is maintaining proper footwork and keeping a low base to make sure receivers don't take advantage of the difficulties he has due to his height.

"It's hard to control your body when you're this tall," Walls said. "To change directions and be able to open and turn and run with little guys, you have to focus on a lot of things, like staying low."

Herndon and Walls will enter training camp nearly inseparable on the depth chart, and their competition should be one of the more interesting position battles during camp.

"I'm glad I'm not the coach," O'Neal said. "I couldn't make a decision, because both of them can play."

Comment

Man i Really thought lenny was going to be a beast.

Comment

Working...
                        X