Orange Colored Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javalon
    I think that would have been a mistake. The team was probably not ready to endorse a switch to a rookie QB at that point. Now they are.

And don't think that Cutler hasn't benefited from being able to continue his learning process without pressure for 13 weeks. He's had more time to absorb the intricacies of the playbook, analyze real defenses and mentally practice what he'd do in the various situations had he been in control of the offense. And there's been more time for the coaches to work on his fine tuning his mechanics.

I think there's a definite bright side to having Cutler wait this long to make his debut.

It isn't just that, it is the fact that Plummer did have a decent year last year. You don't dump him just because a player has a better preseason.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
    - Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore
      It isn't just that, it is the fact that Plummer did have a decent year last year. You don't dump him just because a player has a better preseason.
      Definitely. And I think Shanny's plan to sit Cutler the entire first year was a good idea since it seemed like Plummer would at least be solid for us at QB this year. But you know what they say about the best laid plans...
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

So you think Shanahan's decision is based purely on preseason?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
          So you think Shanahan's decision is based purely on preseason?

Didn't say that. Look at the discussion, it is about the idea that the writer is all high on himself saying that the Broncos should've benched Plummer to start the season which, at the time of the beginning of the season, would've been ludicrous.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
          - Carl Sagan

Comment

Didn't say that. Look at the discussion, it is about the idea that the writer is all high on himself saying that the Broncos should've benched Plummer to start the season which, at the time of the beginning of the season, would've been ludicrous.
            I think the pre-season showed us that Jay has talent and skills. He showed that he DOES have the ability to be a starting QB and can compete in this league. That being said, if you never felt Jake was anything special, it could be said that Jay should have started at the beginning of the year since you/we obviously drafted Jay for a reason.. and that was to start.

Now I was allllllll for Jay sitting a season. But many were not. Its easy to look back now and say Jay should have started...but i still say sitting him for 12 weeks is going to work in his favor. You can't see how a player is going to perform in preseason, but you CAN see/judge if a player has what it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              Now I was allllllll for Jay sitting a season. But many were not. Its easy to look back now and say Jay should have started...but i still say sitting him for 12 weeks is going to work in his favor.
              Agreed. I was a supporter of Jake finishing the season until the Raiders game. Then my support faultered, and then by the end of the Chiefs game I could see that the offense needed a spark and that at this point it could do no harm putting Jay in.

- Carl Sagan

Comment

Agreed. I was a supporter of Jake finishing the season until the Raiders game. Then my support faultered, and then by the end of the Chiefs game I could see that the offense needed a spark and that at this point it could do no harm putting Jay in.
                yeah... the Raider game did it for me as well.

Comment

You must of forgot about his brilliant performance in the AFC Championship Game. There was a reason why Shanahan drafted Cutler. Maybe you're right about him not starting in week 1 but he's had plenty of time now and could play no worse than Plummer has this season. To me he should have pulled him after the 2nd Raiders game, maybe one of Jake's worse outtings of the year but there have been so many it's hard to pick just one.

I wish we could get passed talking about Jake, he's history now and Thank God Shanahan decided not to leave him in and concede the season.
                  http://www.myspace.com/milehighmojoe

Comment

Me, too.

Originally posted by BroncsSB#3
                    I think there were plenty of people that wanted Cutler starting week 1. Most if not all of them probably were just sick of Plummer and wanted him out more than they wanted Cutler in. I wanted Plummer playing. He just came off a great year that had a bad ending, but he showed a lot last year. I do wish that we would've put Cutler in a little earlier in the season to get some more experience for the playoffs and, more importantly, for next year.
                    But we both know why it didn't happen. A QB change affects more than just the passing game; it affects the whole offense, which is why Shanny didn't do this a month ago. It Cutlers talent's as good as the hype he'd be a terror next year after playing 9 games this year, including games against the statistically good Raiders pass D and the always scary Steeler D. But you just can't justify pulling your veteran QB when you'd have a first round bye if the season ended tomorrow (which is where we were as recently as three and a half weeks ago. ) Whatever happens the rest of the season and in the playoffs will be good for our rookie QB and our whole team down the road.

As far as Sunday, I don't expect Cutler to make Elway reads and use the whole book, but, yes, Seattle's gonna bring the house, and I hope Jay has at least a few screen audibles down cold because the scuttlebutt is he has the accuracy and release to get it there fast and on target. And when Seattle and SD give up 30 yards on two or three screen plays teams will be a little less likely to send nine guys head hunting Jay Cutler. A lot depends on how the game starts, but I'm hoping Tatum Bell will finally live up to HIS hype and we can go down and take a 7-0 lead right off the bat, taking a lot of pressure off our rookie QB. It'll be interesting to see how the D does against the third top running back in two weeks if the offense can string together some long drives.

Meanwhile, all the "will he or won't he" questions and analysis based on how Cutler did against college teams is pointless, though also understandable. We'll find out what happens Sunday, not Friday.
                    SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X